proof that WDW has done nothing to improve the parks in yeqrs

seascape

Original Poster
Someone asked for numbers to back up my belief that the market is there for expansion and a 5th gate.

Anyway getting back to the number of hotel and timeshare rooms. I came up with just over 50000 currently by adding the public number of rooms at the different Disney resorts and timeshares and added the on site hotels that are not owned by Disney and then added Orange Lake and Bonnet Creek resorts. I neglected to add on the 4 seasons. I am by not sure the number of rooms they have, I will have to look that up. In any case Disney will also continue to build DVC'S and some more rooms themselves on site. For those who say no hotel rooms have been build look at Art of Animation. Flamingo Crossing, the Four Seasons and Golden Oaks and another large DVC and a medium priced resort of 500 would add about 8000 total new rooms. If there is 85 percent occupancy and the people go to parks 6 out of 7 days and Disney gets 80% would add 4.25 million to attendance and that is without figuring out a percentage increase from offering transportation to Bonnet Creek and Orange Lake or how much Orange Lake would expand sine they will have a major advantage over other timeshares in Orlando. Neither Wyndham nor Hiltons can expand there and there is only one small parcel left in that area.

The more I look into what is currently planed to be built, the more it looks like there is no way Disney will not add 10 million to attendance even if they do nothing to the parks by 2021. If they do make the improvements and regain some market share they an easily reach 75 to 80 million a year. All you have to do is look at what is going on. The market is there and the economy is doing great for those is the top half. Just think as a kid my parents didn't have the money to take vacations at all and now I can.

Last edited:

NormC

I think one of the most important ways to gain market share is the technology but also using Disney Transportation can help. One of the things the hotels by Disney Springs advertise is the Disney Transportation System. I would like them to expand. As a DVC owner we pay for it in our dues.
My BLT DVC dues pays for the maintenance of the property I own. I do not remember seeing any percentage of it going to transportation in the documents I read.

Matt_Black

Doesn't make him not dead and doesn't make Captain EO not stale.

Many celebrity musicians have songs/albums come out posthumously. Elvis and Hank Williams, Sr. are two that come to mind immediately. I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs.

They way you phrased it, it seemed to me that you were making it out to be that Michael Jackson was not relevant and/ or popular.

seascape

Original Poster
My BLT DVC dues pays for the maintenance of the property I own. I do not remember seeing any percentage of it going to transportation in the documents I read.
We pay for magic bus and the transportation system on property. Plus something towards all the ,pools at all the resorts because we can pool hop. Disney makes money on every little thing they do and service they provide. I don't mind them making money as long as the service remains at the level we are getting now.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

For BLT $0.3095 per point of your dues go to transportation. It pays for a portion of the cost of buses, boats and the monorail available at CR. I think there are around 5.7 million points at BLT so owners are pay just under $1.8M in 2014 for transportation. I don't see any specific category related to paying for the other pools that you can hop to. Maybe it's part of member activities, but there isn't much there. Here's the thread with the breakdown of fees for 2014.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-maintenance-fees-for-2014.876855/

NormC

For BLT $0.3095 per point of your dues go to transportation. It pays for a portion of the cost of buses, boats and the monorail available at CR. I think there are around 5.7 million points at BLT so owners are pay just under $1.8M in 2014 for transportation. I don't see any specific category related to paying for the other pools that you can hop to. Maybe it's part of member activities, but there isn't much there. Here's the thread with the breakdown of fees for 2014.

Thanks for the info. I will now complain more about the smell on my monorails! lol

seascape

Original Poster
Th

Thank you for the info. I did not look but I knew it was there. I own 350 points at 3 resorts. I know I do not pay much but I think it's money well spent. We also get so other benefits that not everyone can get. I was lucky this year to get to see the Show on Walt Disney in Newark. I thought it was great and we even got to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the Newark Museum one of the best kept secrets bin New Jersey. It is a very good museum and if you live near Newark you should check it out. Plus one of the amazing fact we learned from the Disney Vacation Club while there is there are more Mouse owners from Staten Island than anywhere else. To me that show DVC is for the middle class and not the top 10 percent.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Thanks for the info. I will now complain more about the smell on my monorails! lol

So in April I was on the monorails and specifically looked for the mold, mildew and smell that I have heard people talk about on here. I did not see or smell any of that. So I can only think of 3 things. 1. I just happened to pick good times and monorails to ride. 2. The bad state of the monorail is a bit exaggerated and you will only see these types of issues unless your an AP and go every month. 3. Or, I have lost two of my senses...can't smell and am legally blind.

DinoInstitute

Honestly guys, what are you talking about? they add new stuff all the time.
New Disney Channel Streetmosphere, New meet-and-greets, new churro stands.....I'm gonna stop....

But in all seriousness, they constantly add new stuff, its just not at the parks, so people don't care. Disney Springs, MM+, and resort work are, in my opinion, all necessary updates. Why? Well, it is like the prep work. If they ever add a 5th gate or huge expansion, they will need this to suppport all the guests. As soon as the bulk of this is done, they will surely start work on Epcot and DHS. Also, a little bit off topic, but MM+ is a good update. No, it doesn't get people to want to come in the first place, but it improves the quality of the trip so they will want to come back, which really is their target audience.

But, overall, they have not neglected the parks, just did not constantly give them update after update and new land after new land as some people cry they need

BigTxEars

So in April I was on the monorails and specifically looked for the mold, mildew and smell that I have heard people talk about on here. I did not see or smell any of that. So I can only think of 3 things. 1. I just happened to pick good times and monorails to ride. 2. The bad state of the monorail is a bit exaggerated and you will only see these types of issues unless your an AP and go every month. 3. Or, I have lost two of my senses...can't smell and am legally blind.

You are a lucky guy, the only clean monorail at Disney and you find it!

seascape

Original Poster
Honestly guys, what are you talking about? they add new stuff all the time.
New Disney Channel Streetmosphere, New meet-and-greets, new churro stands.....I'm gonna stop....

But in all seriousness, they constantly add new stuff, its just not at the parks, so people don't care. Disney Springs, MM+, and resort work are, in my opinion, all necessary updates. Why? Well, it is like the prep work. If they ever add a 5th gate or huge expansion, they will need this to suppport all the guests. As soon as the bulk of this is done, they will surely start work on Epcot and DHS. Also, a little bit off topic, but MM+ is a good update. No, it doesn't get people to want to come in the first place, but it improves the quality of the trip so they will want to come back, which really is their target audience.

But, overall, they have not neglected the parks, just did not constantly give them update after update and new land after new land as some people cry they need
I complete agree with you that the money they spent on the infrastructure and technology was needed and well spent and will allow them to expand. However I just think if they don't follow up right away they will lose the opportunity they now have. The must upgrade DHS and Epcot and finish the current expansion of AK but I still believe they must built of 5th gate or risk forever losing the ability to dominate the Orlando market. If they let Universal build their 3rd gate before building a 5th gate then Universal would be able to gain 30 percent market share. I believe that Disney Management must take action now or risk future profits.

Matt_Black

I think the economy needs to get a LOT better before they even consider something like that. Between the post-9/11 travel slump and the recession, they've grown understandably cautious about massive undertakings. Now, things are starting to turn around as the economy has slowly started to improve, what with New Fantasyland, Disney Springs, and Avatarland, but a full-out 5th gate is probably going to be a long ways off.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think the economy needs to get a LOT better before they even consider something like that. Between the post-9/11 travel slump and the recession, they've grown understandably cautious about massive undertakings. Now, things are starting to turn around as the economy has slowly started to improve, what with New Fantasyland, Disney Springs, and Avatarland, but a full-out 5th gate is probably going to be a long ways off.

Need to focus on the 4 existing parks. A lot of opportunity there.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
One would think that with all the discretionary income released up after the start of the Affordable Care Act, the economy would be booming and Disney could start aggressively expanding. But meanwhile back at the ranch.........

Goofyernmost

We can agree to disagree because I think you are comparing apples and oranges. Classic cartoon characters don't age - Alex Trebek does. I would also argue that Peter Pan is a classic attraction with timeless appeal while Captain EO looks like exactly what it is - very bad, dated sci-fi from the 80s with a now-dead lead.

We visited Busch Gardens Williamsburg two years ago and saw their Pirates in 4-D show starring the Leslie Nielsen who died in 2010. I spent the entire time trying to work out how old that show was instead of really enjoying it. It was pretty stale to me although I had never seen it before.
That may just be the problem for you. Instead of enjoying the show, you are trying to figure out how old it is based on what people look like or there current living status. Alex has aged since that was filmed, so has Jamie Lee (sigh), so have I now that I think about it. If you have seen the original UoE you would have to appreciate how much better it is then it was before. Cartoon characters never have to deal with aging. Lucky little drawings that they are.

some could be classified as "classics".. Id say Captain Eo would imho.
Errrrr! OK, classic, yea, that's the ticket... classic.

While I would agree I also have to disagree. I rode Universe of Energy in 2012 for the first ever time and even then I thought it was dated and needed a major overhaul. Dated is probably a better description than stale although it means the same thing.
What part was dated, the Dinosaurs? The history of Energy, The current way that we use and produce energy? I don't think that history or current life is dated so that leaves a young Alex Trebec since Jeopardy is still on the air. The information and comedy are still current. The ride vehicles are absolutely unique. Maybe, I don't know what makes it dated. I'm thinking old age is the only definition.

You realize that despite being dead for five years, he still came out with a new album this month?
Now that's talent.

AndyS2992

What part was dated, the Dinosaurs? The history of Energy, The current way that we use and produce energy? I don't think that history or current life is dated so that leaves a young Alex Trebec since Jeopardy is still on the air. The information and comedy are still current. The ride vehicles are absolutely unique. Maybe, I don't know what makes it dated. I'm thinking old age is the only definition.
Watch the film, look at the actors, look at the effects. Just by this you can tell this is an old ride. It needs an updated film and technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom