Project Z

Scuttle

If you read the posts above, The rumoured project Z, was supposed to be a Tron attraction going in Tomorrowland.

But, alas it seems to dead, at least for WDW.

There's no way it was Tron I don't believe it. I don't believe the Walt Disney Company would invest 100 million or more on a ride when the movie barely broke even with the budget. No way I'm sold on this. Pirates expansion is a lot more likely. Think about it. It's the only real franchise disney has except for toy story.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There's no way it was Tron I don't believe it. I don't believe the Walt Disney Company would invest 100 million or more on a ride when the movie barely broke even with the budget. No way I'm sold on this being a pirates expansion. Think about it. It's the only real franchise disney has except for toy story.

Well the idea was thrown about before the numbers came in for TRON. Having said that, it didn't do as badly as some are saying

PKD

More likely than not, Project Z is staying in Shanghai.

Except for there is a current project labeled as "Project Z" being worked on at WDW as we speak. It is not at a park, correct, but at a resort rather.

I'm not even sure it will be available to the masses......

Lee

Adventurer
Except for there is a current project labeled as "Project Z" being worked on at WDW as we speak. It is not at a park, correct, but at a resort rather.

Well then, I reckon whoever decided to call Tron "Project Z" chose the wrong name.:lol:

I'd like to hear more about this resort project...

SeaCastle

Hot tubs at the Polynesian? :)

Tom

Beta Return

The "much improved" reservation database system that was supposed to come with the 4 terribly inconvenient and ill-managed "system upgrades"?

Are we talking DVC here???

The rumors are...
a) WL/FW/RC/STOL area
b) GF conversion/expansion
c) BB/DHS area

Crazy Harry

There's no way it was Tron I don't believe it. I don't believe the Walt Disney Company would invest 100 million or more on a ride when the movie barely broke even with the budget. No way I'm sold on this. Pirates expansion is a lot more likely. Think about it. It's the only real franchise disney has except for toy story.

A few things to think about:

Plans for a Tron ride began well before the release of the movie. As evidenced by the amount spent on advertisement and promotion, Disney once had high hopes for Tron as a franchise.

Lots of attractions have been planned for movies that eventually 'failed'.

While Tron has barely broken even domestically, it is approaching 400 million internationally. This may not mean much to many, and the significance of this number can be easily argued, but it is something to think about. Also, I would argue that Tron actually did quite well for the genre, and Disney simply spent too much money on the project. If they had even cut the budget by 50 million (in theory), our conversation may be different.

If in fact Tron is definite for Shanghai, it may tell us if a Tron ride would be warrented for the US based on it popularity in China. After all, the ride may be popular despite the film and not because of it.

Electronica was actually quite popular.

Not every attraction needs a hit movie to have a popular ride. Look at Pirates for example...

The soundtrack and merchandise has moved pretty good. And we have yet to see how the dvd/blurays move.

At this point, Tron is the 12th highest grossing film having opened last year.

Project Z - Pirate Mountain with the top of the huge rock structure in the shape of a skull where the eyes light at night and the liquid coaster shoots out of the skull's mouth including waterfalls gushing out of the mouth as well surrounding the track. This new type of track can be wet and still be safe. This new pirate ride is a hybrid between a coaster and a water ride. Kraken, zombies, and the Squid face crew - basically anything supernatural we have seen in the Pirate franchise will be included for the dark ride portions of Pirate Mountain. Hopefully 2014 or 2015. Shanghai will be building their's at the same time to cut down cost. There is speculation that Disney is waiting to see how Pirates 4 does before this gets announced for the states, but my sources tell me that it's pretty for sure that this will be happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom