• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Project Stardust - How the "Cleanup" campaign will affect Disneyland - OCR/SCNG

mickEblu

That is right. An unspoken part of their plan is to push people into restaurants, where they can sit while they buy food, OR, get them to go home earlier, because their feet hurt and they are tired from standing around all day.
Day by day the “park” is being turned into a ride collection check list / shopping mall.

FCivish3

Advertisement
I think part of crowd control could be an effort to get people to start moving in a more coordinated fashion. There are some countries, such as Germany, where most people just, instinctively, walk on the right side of the road, or the trail, or the sidewalk (they look at you funny if you walk on the 'wrong side' of the sidewalk). Find ways to encourage that in Disneyland. Sometimes just putting a stripe or dashed line down the middle of a walkway will help induce people to move to one side of the line. Isn't great for the aesthetics, but it can help with crowd control and facilitate movement. There are other little tricks that might help. How much research has Disney done into that type of 'augmentation.'

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I think part of crowd control could be an effort to get people to start moving in a more coordinated fashion. There are some countries, such as Germany, where most people just, instinctively, walk on the right side of the road, or the trail, or the sidewalk (they look at you funny if you walk on the 'wrong side' of the sidewalk). Find ways to encourage that in Disneyland. Sometimes just putting a stripe or dashed line down the middle of a walkway will help induce people to move to one side of the line. Isn't great for the aesthetics, but it can help with crowd control and facilitate movement. There are other little tricks that might help. How much research has Disney done into that type of 'augmentation.'
More than most folks will expect. I spent Saturday working with the TDA Director of Accessibility (ADA issues) at the KABOOM build. Part of Project Stardust includes addressing improvements to satisfy the ADA needs.

But yes, they have gathered info from outside studies, and have done some of their own. Ever notice how newer queues are designed to make it harder to cut into the queue the closer you get to the front of the line?

TP2000

• President, Disneyland Resort – Michael Colglazier (2013–2018)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – George Kalogridis (2009–2013)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Ed Grier (2006–2009)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Matt Ouimet (2003–2006)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Cynthia Harriss (1999–2003)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Paul Pressler (1994–1999; Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, 1999–2002)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Jack Lindquist (1990–1994)
    • Former Senior Vice President, Operations – Greg Emmer
    • Former Vice President, Downtown Disney and Disneyland Resort Hotels 1998–2012 - Tony Bruno
  • Former Executive Vice President – **** Nunis (1972–1980)
Thank you. Ed Grier, that's the one I forgot. I'm printing out this list and putting it in a drawer here in my den.

britain

Thank you. Ed Grier, that's the one I forgot. I'm printing out this list and putting it in a drawer here in my den.
Ha - wasn't that the standing Al Lutz joke? That Ed Grier never showed his face outside the TDA office and so he's a forgettable cipher.

Stevek

Ha - wasn't that the standing Al Lutz joke? That Ed Grier never showed his face outside the TDA office and so he's a forgettable cipher.
I actually saw Ed a few times in the park. Probably saw Matt the most...actually saw him running on Ball Road just outside of TDA one day as well.

This will prevent stampedes once galaxy's edge opens, and allow better staging of queues;
You are dreaming. Galaxy's Edge will be a fine addition and spark a lot of interest, but demand will not be so high that it create stampedes and daily shutdowns of park entry. The biggest problems are going to be the days following when the daily blackouts end for passholders.

This entire "stardust" campaign is stupid. The solution to the overcrowding is to remove FastPass from some attractions, especially people eaters! The system is on so many attractions that it has created a scenario where every guest in the park is essentially two people. Your virtual self is waiting in line for one attraction while your actual self is off doing something else. MaxPass has only made this worse since it has taken away the effort that used to be required to obtain a FP. When are the higher ups going to realize that the system people love (FastPass) is the root cause of the thing that they hate (over crowding)?

SuddenStorm

You are dreaming. Galaxy's Edge will be a fine addition and spark a lot of interest, but demand will not be so high that it create stampedes and daily shutdowns of park entry. The biggest problems are going to be the days following when the daily blackouts end for passholders.

This entire "stardust" campaign is stupid. The solution to the overcrowding is to remove FastPass from some attractions, especially people eaters! The system is on so many attractions that it has created a scenario where every guest in the park is essentially two people. Your virtual self is waiting in line for one attraction while your actual self is off doing something else. MaxPass has only made this worse since it has taken away the effort that used to be required to obtain a FP. When are the higher ups going to realize that the system people love (FastPass) is the root cause of the thing that they hate (over crowding)?
In the mid 2000s, Disneyland management was (reportedly) not happy with Fastpass and viewed it as unnecessary. It was rumored to be potentially removed by the late 2000's- but obviously that didn't happen.

The problem is that it increases perceived value for guests- and taking it away would be viewed as an attack on the customer. And now that they're charging folks $15 a day for it, they're making easy money off of it.

This will never happen- Disney gets to upsell park hoppers by selling separate admission for the two parks. From a purely business standpoint, merging the two parks makes little sense.
I agree and there is very little to be gained by adding the esplanade! Disney will control crowds by raising prices, increasing blackout dates on APs and if necessary may go to date specific tickets. At some point someone in leadership is going to wake up and realize "Maybe we should build a third park".

Ismael Flores

In the mid 2000s, Disneyland management was (reportedly) not happy with Fastpass and viewed it as unnecessary. It was rumored to be potentially removed by the late 2000's- but obviously that didn't happen.

The problem is that it increases perceived value for guests- and taking it away would be viewed as an attack on the customer. And now that they're charging folks $15 a day for it, they're making easy money off of it.
they really should just slowly phase out the free fastpass by removing them from attractions one at a time. leave the maxpass active. i think if done slowly eventually it will just be maxpass and therefore only people willing to pay will use it. get everyone else on standby and get those lines moving faster.
last time i was there I went on one ride. the fastpass line for thundermountain was just as long as standby. and just when you thought it was getting shorter another large group from the next time group would show up. meanwhile the standby line just kept getting bigger since they were loading twice the amount of fastpass then standby

Disney Irish Bruh

they really should just slowly phase out the free fastpass by removing them from attractions one at a time. leave the maxpass active. i think if done slowly eventually it will just be maxpass and therefore only people willing to pay will use it. get everyone else on standby and get those lines moving faster.
last time i was there I went on one ride. the fastpass line for thundermountain was just as long as standby. and just when you thought it was getting shorter another large group from the next time group would show up. meanwhile the standby line just kept getting bigger since they were loading twice the amount of fastpass then standby
Don't be surprised if we see this happen over the next 12-24 months. Not saying this with any inside information, but just makes business sense.

Phrubruh

The problem is the ratio of fast pass to stand by that the cast member lets in. Sometimes they don't pay attention and just let everyone from fast pass get in and rarely let the stand by line move. Cast members have gotten worst at that over the years.

drizgirl

The problem is the ratio of fast pass to stand by that the cast member lets in. Sometimes they don't pay attention and just let everyone from fast pass get in and rarely let the stand by line move. Cast members have gotten worst at that over the years.
No, the problem is the number of FPs they issue. The CMs have no choice when there are just more FPs. They can't let the FP line back up. Not only will people with FPs be unhappy, but they don't have the line infrastructure to support it in many cases.

You had to know that when they monetized it they were going to start adding more.

Phrubruh

No, the problem is the number of FPs they issue. The CMs have no choice when there are just more FPs. They can't let the FP line back up. Not only will people with FPs be unhappy, but they don't have the line infrastructure to support it in many cases.

You had to know that when they monetized it they were going to start adding more.
I've seen it where only a couple of fast pass people would instantly get admitted in while the stand by line waits 10-15 minutes with no one in the fast pass line and then only dozen people let in at a time.

People in the stand by line were getting upset as the cm just ignored them. I was waiting for them to just ignore the cm and just enter. It's not like the cm can do anything if the stand by line refused to wait.

nesboy43

I've seen it where only a couple of fast pass people would instantly get admitted in while the stand by line waits 10-15 minutes with no one in the fast pass line and then only dozen people let in at a time.

People in the stand by line were getting upset as the cm just ignored them. I was waiting for them to just ignore the cm and just enter. It's not like the cm can do anything if the stand by line refused to wait.
They can get you kicked out of the park.

This is annoying though there should be clear guides or timings for letting people in vs letting them in at their discretion.

Phrubruh

They can get you kicked out of the park.

This is annoying though there should be clear guides or timings for letting people in vs letting them in at their discretion.
They could but they never will. You could walk right pass them. They may yell at you but that is the only reaction you will get. They don't even doing anything about the constant line jumping. I'm always passed by people claiming they are trying to get to their group. A person with a kid is fine but when you have an entire family and their dog that's a different story. The cast members never do anything about that. They expect you to follow the rules but there is never consequences.

Top Bottom