Project Stardust - How the "Cleanup" campaign will affect Disneyland - OCR/SCNG

SuddenStorm

You are dreaming. Galaxy's Edge will be a fine addition and spark a lot of interest, but demand will not be so high that it create stampedes and daily shutdowns of park entry. The biggest problems are going to be the days following when the daily blackouts end for passholders.

This entire "stardust" campaign is stupid. The solution to the overcrowding is to remove FastPass from some attractions, especially people eaters! The system is on so many attractions that it has created a scenario where every guest in the park is essentially two people. Your virtual self is waiting in line for one attraction while your actual self is off doing something else. MaxPass has only made this worse since it has taken away the effort that used to be required to obtain a FP. When are the higher ups going to realize that the system people love (FastPass) is the root cause of the thing that they hate (over crowding)?

In the mid 2000s, Disneyland management was (reportedly) not happy with Fastpass and viewed it as unnecessary. It was rumored to be potentially removed by the late 2000's- but obviously that didn't happen.

The problem is that it increases perceived value for guests- and taking it away would be viewed as an attack on the customer. And now that they're charging folks $15 a day for it, they're making easy money off of it.

RollerCoaster

This will never happen- Disney gets to upsell park hoppers by selling separate admission for the two parks. From a purely business standpoint, merging the two parks makes little sense.

I agree and there is very little to be gained by adding the esplanade! Disney will control crowds by raising prices, increasing blackout dates on APs and if necessary may go to date specific tickets. At some point someone in leadership is going to wake up and realize "Maybe we should build a third park".

Figments Friend

Uncle Walt, explaining to his co-workers why it's important to have some decorative planters in his Park -

-

Ismael Flores

In the mid 2000s, Disneyland management was (reportedly) not happy with Fastpass and viewed it as unnecessary. It was rumored to be potentially removed by the late 2000's- but obviously that didn't happen.

The problem is that it increases perceived value for guests- and taking it away would be viewed as an attack on the customer. And now that they're charging folks $15 a day for it, they're making easy money off of it.

they really should just slowly phase out the free fastpass by removing them from attractions one at a time. leave the maxpass active. i think if done slowly eventually it will just be maxpass and therefore only people willing to pay will use it. get everyone else on standby and get those lines moving faster.
last time i was there I went on one ride. the fastpass line for thundermountain was just as long as standby. and just when you thought it was getting shorter another large group from the next time group would show up. meanwhile the standby line just kept getting bigger since they were loading twice the amount of fastpass then standby

Disney Irish

Premium Member
they really should just slowly phase out the free fastpass by removing them from attractions one at a time. leave the maxpass active. i think if done slowly eventually it will just be maxpass and therefore only people willing to pay will use it. get everyone else on standby and get those lines moving faster.
last time i was there I went on one ride. the fastpass line for thundermountain was just as long as standby. and just when you thought it was getting shorter another large group from the next time group would show up. meanwhile the standby line just kept getting bigger since they were loading twice the amount of fastpass then standby

Don't be surprised if we see this happen over the next 12-24 months. Not saying this with any inside information, but just makes business sense.

Phroobar

The problem is the ratio of fast pass to stand by that the cast member lets in. Sometimes they don't pay attention and just let everyone from fast pass get in and rarely let the stand by line move. Cast members have gotten worst at that over the years.

drizgirl

The problem is the ratio of fast pass to stand by that the cast member lets in. Sometimes they don't pay attention and just let everyone from fast pass get in and rarely let the stand by line move. Cast members have gotten worst at that over the years.
No, the problem is the number of FPs they issue. The CMs have no choice when there are just more FPs. They can't let the FP line back up. Not only will people with FPs be unhappy, but they don't have the line infrastructure to support it in many cases.

You had to know that when they monetized it they were going to start adding more.

Phroobar

No, the problem is the number of FPs they issue. The CMs have no choice when there are just more FPs. They can't let the FP line back up. Not only will people with FPs be unhappy, but they don't have the line infrastructure to support it in many cases.

You had to know that when they monetized it they were going to start adding more.
I've seen it where only a couple of fast pass people would instantly get admitted in while the stand by line waits 10-15 minutes with no one in the fast pass line and then only dozen people let in at a time.

People in the stand by line were getting upset as the cm just ignored them. I was waiting for them to just ignore the cm and just enter. It's not like the cm can do anything if the stand by line refused to wait.

Phroobar

They can get you kicked out of the park.

This is annoying though there should be clear guides or timings for letting people in vs letting them in at their discretion.
They could but they never will. You could walk right pass them. They may yell at you but that is the only reaction you will get. They don't even doing anything about the constant line jumping. I'm always passed by people claiming they are trying to get to their group. A person with a kid is fine but when you have an entire family and their dog that's a different story. The cast members never do anything about that. They expect you to follow the rules but there is never consequences.

nevol

They can keep fastpass/maxpass and reduce the number of total riders accessing via fastpass/maxpass to about 20%. In my head this is what is happening, but when I'm in the parks, it is clear that it is at least 50/50 fastpass. Groups of 50 just walk straight into space mountain.

I enjoy the idea of cutting out the free fastpasses, while letting the market control demand of maxpass. There would be fewer fastpass users overall, making the park less crowded and the lines move more quickly, while everybody using fastpass would be paying for it.

Phroobar

They can keep fastpass/maxpass and reduce the number of total riders accessing via fastpass/maxpass to about 20%. In my head this is what is happening, but when I'm in the parks, it is clear that it is at least 50/50 fastpass. Groups of 50 just walk straight into space mountain.

I enjoy the idea of cutting out the free fastpasses, while letting the market control demand of maxpass. There would be fewer fastpass users overall, making the park less crowded and the lines move more quickly, while everybody using fastpass would be paying for it.
I agree. Magic Mountain and Knotts make you pay for "fastpasses". Disney should go maxpass only. (and raise the price about 5x) That is what the competition charges.

mickEblu

The former AP in me says “that would be a bummer not to be able to walk into the park at noon and grab a 6pm Fastpass for Space Mountain” but at the same time I know that those types of visits weren’t ideal anyway and that this would be best for the park/ guest experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You mean like Magic Kingdom. Get ready for the tacky astroturf lawns and hideous hub.

There's only two small sections in the back of MK's hub which has astroturf and that's because they're sections reserved for the dessert parties and other VIP viewing events.

There are a lot of things to be critical of, but distorting reality for an ideological rallying cry is just Fake News.

Phroobar

Speaking of drinking fountains, I swear Magic Mountain got rid of their fountains in order to get people to buy more soda. You will die without something to drink in that place.

mickEblu

Speaking of drinking fountains, I swear Magic Mountain got rid of their fountains in order to get people to buy more soda. You will die without something to drink in that place.

The only place I use a water fountain is the gym when I go like twice a year. Other than that, I think I subconsciously forgot they exist or just don’t seem them anywhere. The only one I can visualize at DL is by the NOS train station... I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom