Project Gemini Revealed

figment99

Okay, read _my_ lips: This will not destroy the park! You all are being far too critical of this. 4 pavilions won't even be altered significantly due to this revamp. Only one will be closed and three renovated. If anything you'll be seeing many more attractions. Sure, I"ll be sad to see this incarnation of SE go, but the next one will be better! You'll be getting a far smoother track that won't be nearly as bumpy, with little alteration in theme or plot.

Sorry I'm sounding so negative, but all I seem to hear now is "I hate this," and "why are they changing that? That's my favorite!" Get over it people, unless you rouse a really big protest against this and you catch Eisner's ear, it's going to happen whether you like it or not.

I will definitely have plans to witness this in 2006, if this truly is what Disney has in store and is not another rumor.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by figment99
it's going to happen whether you like it or not.

Surely you mean if the bean counters allow it. My own fear is that a condensed cheapo cut back version will be the outcome. And they’ll use " the teen market begged for coasters " as a get out. I have no real problems with any of it, even my beloved SE, but only if it’s done the true Disney way, not another Hester and Chester debacle

figment99

HappySnapper, you do have a good point. But I really don't think Disney will mess up this time--they surely have learned their lesson by now with the failures of Chester and Hester, JIYI, etc. It's unlikely that if Mission: Space is hugely popular that they'll try to go cheap with Gemini.

Main Street USA

Originally posted by figment99
Okay, read _my_ lips: This will not destroy the park! You all are being far too critical of this. 4 pavilions won't even be altered significantly due to this revamp. Only one will be closed and three renovated. If anything you'll be seeing many more attractions. Sure, I"ll be sad to see this incarnation of SE go, but the next one will be better! You'll be getting a far smoother track that won't be nearly as bumpy, with little alteration in theme or plot.

Sorry I'm sounding so negative, but all I seem to hear now is "I hate this," and "why are they changing that? That's my favorite!" Get over it people, unless you rouse a really big protest against this and you catch Eisner's ear, it's going to happen whether you like it or not.

I will definitely have plans to witness this in 2006, if this truly is what Disney has in store and is not another rumor.

I tend to agree that this won't destroy the park, but you can't just tell people to get over it. They have every right o have their own opinons of "I hate this." and "Why are they changing this?"

Also, no one knows whether or not ANY of this will happen, sol you also can't say things like "This is going to happen whether you like it or not."

CTXRover

I have a feeling that at least some of this is inevitable. When I was on the Disney Cruise for Christmas (2001), an imagineer responsible for the Animal Kingdom Lodge and initial plans for Hong Kong Disneyland did a presentation on how the AKL was designed and built. Afterwards, another person in the audience brought up the drop in attendance at Epcot. The imagineer's response: "We recognize the drop and believe it to be partially due to the end of the Millenium Celebration. However, major changes are being planned, especially for FUTURE WORLD."

I think some of this could be great. To me, it sounds like Time Racers is VERY much the same idea as Spaceship Earth is now, however with some modern technology (hopefully it won't limit who can ride it though). I am totally against a Rollercoaster if it can be easily seen, but I am totally for a change for the Living Seas and a Soarin' Clone. Every new attraction seems to still have an educational theme, even the "rollercoaster".

As for the name change. I think it makes great sense. Consider Epcot's slogan: " DISCOVER EPCOT". Epcot is all about Discovery, not necessarily the future. (And since Disney used this name for Disneyland Paris's Tomorrowland, the name is probably already copyrighted by them)

My only concern, Disney needs to remember their family audience, especially for young children. Why do they think the Magic Kingdom gets almost twice as many people as any other park? Its not the thrill rides, its the ability to experience everything as a family.

Horizons_03

I hate to say it, but this project that thi person is speaking of , whoever run JHILL MEDIA,and why would they be the ones leaking this info,?if you ask me, it sounds very far fetecehd this info that is being given out. I to does not soudn like anything that any theme park in there right mind would , even universal, disney and sixflags all the have the knowledge not to change anything major unless it is not working. and if you ask me I just think that there is project gemin, but this is not the real plans and it hink that disney would find something much better and not go to such an extreme by trying to close half of future world to make major changes in one year , I mean come on it takes at least 6-9 months to build one roller coaster. but to move all the aland and dismantle spaceship earth and the ride systems while the park actually works is almost imnpossible to pullt htis type of project off in one year in a mjor hub of the dinsey theme parks.
HOrizons _03

Thats my two cents, I hope noboday takes offense

Favrefire4

Well here is my two cents to this whole topic. For starters I do not believe any of this will happen by 2006. I heard it was suppose to happen in 2007 for Epcot's 25th Anniversary. I do not believe that a Jr. Autotopida will be coming because it is tacky and does not belong in Epcot. I also do not think a hedge maze or rainforest coaster will be coming because they do not fit the theme correctly. As for taking down the Wonders of Life pavilion makes absolutley no sense what so ever. Why would they take it down and not replace it with something immediately. It is the same scenerio(sp) as Superstar Limo. It doesnt do any better being closed. As for Time Racers I do believe this will happen but I do not believe one bit the track will ever come outside. I don't think Disney will ruin the sphere like that. I also believe the Soarin' attraction but had heard that it was going to be coming to WS not FW. But it would make sense in either place. The living seas is also a good aspect but it would have to be a boat ride like Pirates of the Caribbean. Thats just what I think. Any comments would be appreciated.

juan

Picture old Tomorrowland ... picture new Tomorrowland
Most of you will agree that it changed for the better

Picture Future World ... picture new Discoveryland

A lot of people feel that the change will ruin it.
Epcot is too old and needs to be seriously updated.

Old Epcot had 4 omnimover/animatronic rides, but now only has 2.
There is only so long that you can sit on hard plastic seats staring at rubberized robots that do exactly the same thing as the last time you rode it, and will continue to do the same thing everytime you ride it.

Everyone over 18 may like Future World as it is.
But teenagers today are getting bored with FW.
Teenagers will soon have their own families and will not bring them to Epcot if they still feel that the park is boring. These families are the future of Disney's profit and the majority of Disney's economic structure relies on it.
If these families find one park boring, soon enough another park will be boring. Before you know it they will stop coming to WDW altogether.

Who has walked through FW in the evening?
There are much fewer people there than at any other park.

And what about thrill rides?
Test Track keeps constant 1hr to 2hr+ wait times all day.
Most other attractions are walk on all day.

So, in conclusion, I love Epcot as it is today, but it is too old for its time and defiinitely needs Project Gemini.

FutureCEO

Originally posted by juan
So, in conclusion, I love Epcot as it is today, but it is too old for its time and defiinitely needs Project Gemini.

not this way though...most of the things they want to put in there would fit into Animal Kingdom.

Goofster

Well, i doubt Epcot will get all of this at the same time, mostly because of Forbidden Mountain at Animal Kingdom. But thanks to Microsoft, Time Racers is close to definite. Then I'd say the next priority would be retheming the whole area to Discoveryland w/ trees and and fixing up footpaths, maybe fixing up innoventions in the process. Ohh and probably adding Soarin' next. Then after that I'd bet they'd fix living seas and add autopia and the rainforst and hedge maze.

Yes, I see most of these changes happening, probably not at the same time, but eventually

Favrefire4

Ok I'm sorry if anyone finds this offensive but Goofster and some other people have this totally wrong. Ok, just think about this. The year is 2006: You walk into Epcot and look at all of the neat rides and attractions and think about everything that you will learn while still having fun. Then you walk to the back of FW and see this little track. You think that it looks tacky and does not make sense in Epcot. You walk to the right and see a maze. You think to yourself, how do you learn anything by walking around. Finally you walk back towards the front and see a roller coaster in with some trees. You say to yourself, yea that looks real educational. Ok back to present. People you gotta remember that Epcot was designed for people to learn but while still having fun. That was the hole idea and that's why Epcot is different from any other park. If you put a jr. autotopia in how will that give anyone educational value. I don't think there will ever, ever be a jr. autotopia, hedge maze, and a rainforest type rollercoaster at Epcot. I don't think too many people understand what Epcot is really about and if anyone of you want to comment on this go right ahead but this is what I think and I am sticking with it.

FutureCEO

Originally posted by Favrefire4
People you gotta remember that Epcot was designed for people to learn but while still having fun. That was the hole idea and that's why Epcot is different from any other park.

A rainforest coaster belongs in AK and I agree that you can have thrills and learn at the same time: example---Mission Space

A rainforest coaster will do the trick to by teaching people about the rainforest. Or it could be a new type of ride (out of old technology) in the Land. I'll explain that in the imagineering forum later

But a lot of this is all thrills and not educational value.

Buford

The same goes for trees! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Trees are nice, but making the place a forest? I don't like the idea...)

figment99

Hey, if you problem with me personally, IM or email me okay? All I said was I didn't like how people were responding so negatively to this. I respect everyone's opinions--I just don't agree with them :). Can we all get along, please? Anyway, back to the topic at hand. . .

I don't really see the problem with the trees. If anything the world could use a few more--it's far more environmentally friendly than paving over everything with cement, like they did when they first opened Epcot. I don't know, perhaps I'm not very allergy-prone to nearby plants, but I think it would make everything smell just a bit better. And these are trees, not enormous patches of brush--I would imagine lots of shade, but also the ability to see a fairly decent distance underneath the canopy.

Should the Rainforest Coaster go in AK? Not necessarily--the focus there is on wildlife, whereas the Land has taken on an environmental theme in the past decade. I'd say it fits in quite nicely.

Main Street USA

Originally posted by Favrefire4
Ok I'm sorry if anyone finds this offensive but Goofster and some other people have this totally wrong. Ok, just think about this. The year is 2006: You walk into Epcot and look at all of the neat rides and attractions and think about everything that you will learn while still having fun. Then you walk to the back of FW and see this little track. You think that it looks tacky and does not make sense in Epcot. You walk to the right and see a maze. You think to yourself, how do you learn anything by walking around. Finally you walk back towards the front and see a roller coaster in with some trees. You say to yourself, yea that looks real educational. Ok back to present. People you gotta remember that Epcot was designed for people to learn but while still having fun. That was the hole idea and that's why Epcot is different from any other park. If you put a jr. autotopia in how will that give anyone educational value. I don't think there will ever, ever be a jr. autotopia, hedge maze, and a rainforest type rollercoaster at Epcot. I don't think too many people understand what Epcot is really about and if anyone of you want to comment on this go right ahead but this is what I think and I am sticking with it.

Ya know, it's possible that YOU have it wrong. Don't walk on here and start telling people they have it all wrong when you don't have any idea what is happening yourself.

I couldn't even get halfway through EITHER of your posts. They're virtually impossible to understand. You've got run-on sentences all over the place, punctuation in the wrong place and quite a few spelling errors.

Favrefire4

Your coment you just made is totally in necessary. You did need to be that rude to me but you are entiteld to your opinion. I would like to hear what you think about the hole thing as everyone's opinion is equally as important. That was just my opinion and you don't have to listen to one bit of it. Thanks. This is to Main Street and no one else. So you guys don't all freak out on me.

figment99

Favrefire4--I agree totally! However, let's not go off arguing--and this goes for _everyone_ here. How bout we stick to the subject at hand? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom