Project Gemini Revealed

aust

personally,
besides the maze and go cart thing I Love this Idea.
i do agree that The trees will take getting used to.:rolleyes: :D

Bayou_Tigerfan

This didn't sound like a big "dumbing-down" to me. The hedge maze with education stations at each "dead end" sounds very educational, as does the "house of the future" (I'd rather see a CoP-like show than keep the status quo with CoP closed 95% of the time). Having Ariel tell us about the underwater environment won't be any less educational than having anyone else tell us about it.

When I took several first-timers to WDW this past December, they were totally uninterested in Future World except for TT. That's not because they are thrill addicts -- they spent more time in the WS than in any other part of WDW. Future World just looks boring; it doesn't "transport" you anywhere the way other parks and the WS do (certainly not to the future :lol: ). I think the plan to bring in a lot of trees is a great idea. I never thought much of the idea that our future wouldn't include anything green.

Personally, I would love to visit Discoveryland, while Future World is currently my least-favorite part of any WDW park.

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
My opinion as a hardcore Disney park fanatic:

I LOVE IT! All of it.

I question only the Junior Autopia, and that only because I think it would crowd that area, and be too noisy.

The rest is outstanding. A+. Build away!

Nut4Disney

Originally posted by AndyMagic
If you had read the article ... it talked about how the number 1 complaint about Epcot is that it is boring. Disney DOES get the opinions of the paying customers and they aren't attempting Project Gemini just for the hell of it. They are responding to the general public. I stress GENERAL PUBLIC and not fanatical WDWMagic members. Members here are in the minority when it comes to opinions on change. Pretty much everyone here hates thrills and change and loves education and nostalgia. Disney HAS to do something about Epcot's sagging attendance and revamping the already stale attractions won't do anything. They had to completely re-invent the park and I think they did a splendid job with this. Also, PLEASE remember to read the article before complaining about things. It states VERY clearly that the fountain will remain yet people are already complaining about how it isn't going to be there?!? Sigh.

Easy big fella, I think that vein in your head is about to pop.

Michael72688

Like some of you have said, in this article it says that the #1 complaint about Epcot is how boring it is and how there is little to do for kids, this proves my point!

Nut4Disney

There is plenty to do there. It is also the most beautiful park at WDW. It was never meant to be a thrill park, and when you start adding roller coasters for the sake of attracting people it destroys the whole Epcot concept. If people want to ride roller coasters, they can go to MK, or IoA. Epcot is a unique experience. I'm not saying that it does not need some updating, as much as I love SE, it does show its age, but I think that these plans (if they are even credible) do not do it justice. Lets just replace Wonders of Life with some cheezy carnival rides like AK did, afterall its rides, and isn't that what they want.

Rider

I doubt many of the names are what they are going to be called.

Save Discoveryland.... I do believe Disney has a few of them aroud the world already.

But things like "Rainforest Coaster" and "Cool Stuff" and "Hedge Maze" are VERY LIKELY TO CHANGE.

Thank you.:cool:

AdLibSean

The thing that stresses me out the most about this plan- true or not- is the fact that the entire area is going to be lush with greenery. I LOVE the open spaces of Epcot- infact its the only place left in WDW that's not cramped such as Magic Kingdom- or MGM where everything just seems to consume you. Not to mention we'd have another AK on our hands in terms of hummidity from the plants. ICK! I say keep Epcot's open, expansive vistas- you can actually breathe there!

ToTBellHop

Did you look at the price for this. $350-500 million. These are not planned to be cheap thrills by any stretch of the imagination. In terms of "ruining" Epcot, I don't see it. All I hear on this site is how much Living Seas and Wonders of Life suck, so the two of them getting major changes should neither surprise nor tick anyone off. It is what we have been asking Disney to do for years. The same can be said of Innoventions. We all want Soarin' to come, and the other new things besides Time Racers are ADDITIONS that will bring more people to the park. I have no qualms over additions if they are themed ride--they are not replacing anything, so I am all for additions to the park. As for Time Racers, again--we have been asking for changes here for a while, so now we will get one. This ride will not ruin Spaceship Earth at all--you will still explore the same places and see the same Animatronics you currently see, they are just going to make some of the ride faster. It will slow down for show scenes--that is the purpose of having the cars the way they are planned to be. This is supposed to be like Rocket Rods, had it been done well, and it will be high tech, and most people will be able to ride it--it will be no more intense than Test Track, which most people have no problems riding based on intensity (you may not like the ride, but I don't think many of you don't ride because it's too intense for you). If you look at the Under the Sea pavilion, you notice that it will be educational. It will have the Little Mermaid characters to make it more fun, but it will have very much real-world lessons involving pollution and such. It will have a Circle of Life feel, from the Land--and SeaBase Alpha will stay. I will miss the "and they rained...and rained...and rained" lady, but it'll be great if they can bring this all to the modern world. As for calling the area Discoveryland...well, I had predicted that name, but realize it is just a project name--it will probably get another name. Discoveryland is Disneyland Paris' version of Tomorrowland...and the new coaster would not be called Rainforest Coaster...that is a preliminary project name...just the Imagineers thinking "we could put a rainforest themed coaster here". As for more scenery, I am ALL for that. Look what they did with Animal Kingdom--that would be extreme for this, but it's still beautiful. They want Epcot to feel more alive...not unlike World Showcase. It will make for a more conducive park. However, unless Disney can find a lot of sponsors, this won't happen--but maybe with plans to introduce so many e-rides, sponsors will be more attracted--Eisner will never agree to foot this tab, but it's good that Rasulo is openly behind expansion for the parks. It's a question of how much is too much, with Forbidden Mountain being released this Spring, will they agree to spend another $500,000,000 in addition to FB's $100,000,000 budget? I would be impressed...however, with these opening in 2006, that's pretty close to when a new park would emerge with the pattern we've seen (one every 10 years or so), so then, maybe that amount of money would be reasonable in lieu of the 5th gate (which does not need to be going in anyway). But, this would mean MGM certainly wouldn't be seeing anything major for the next five years or so...I guess it's a trade off. I hope Disney knows what they are doing.

BenS

Way to go Disney! You've successfully gotten rid of every single original EPCOT Center attraction except The Land! Now you just have to add an agriculture-themed roller coaster where The Land is (to your right is a tank of alligators! Ooh, you missed it).

Can you save money on Park Hoppers if you don't have Epcot included on them?

MKCustodial

Originally posted by DogsRule!
I hope Disney knows what they are doing.

That's the key right here, and I just feel like Walt's turning in his grave... Sure, he'd want to do anything possible to bring Guests to his parks, but 80% of this "Project Gemini" consists of families separating in order to enjoy it all.

Originally posted by BenS
Way to go Disney! You've successfully gotten rid of every single original EPCOT Center attraction except The Land! Now you just have to add an agriculture-themed roller coaster where The Land is (to your right is a tank of alligators! Ooh, you missed it).

Can you save money on Park Hoppers if you don't have Epcot included on them?

Way ahead, of you buddy! :lol: You can get the 4-day Hopper and use it without a problem, just like you'd use the 5-day if EPCOT Center still existed! :wave:

By the way, in case you didn't notice, we're both being sarcastic, ok? :p

AndyMagic

Originally posted by JasonCajun
So you find it boring? Go somewhere else. There is Busch Gardens, Island of Adventure, water parks, Six Flags, etc that you can go for thrills.
The problem is... they ARE going somewhere else. Islands of Adventures attendance has continued to rise while Epcot's attendance has fallen greatly. It is easy for you to simply disregard the people that want a thrill here and there and to tell them to bug off but do you really think Disney will? They aren't about to sit around and watch their theme parks fall into categories like "BORING." SOMETHING has to be done and like I said before... a drastic change is the only way to get people's attention.

Buford

It's not like IOA or Universal have that big of attendance to hurt Disney... I know I only spent a few hours at IOA before getting bored... Spiderman was fun, though! Still like SSE more. :D

Horizons1

This is just SICK,sure EPCOT may not be popular with teens(although im 14 and i love it)but that doesnt mean oh lets ruin it.That map makes me sick,trees everywhere you look,rainforest rollercoaster,tear parts of innoventions down.:hurl: I pray that this is just a big false rumor and nothing more.Why not make gemini a good thing and make JII good again and reopen the upstairs area or other things that wont destroy the park.They shouldnt be able to destroy Walts last dream.And Discoveryland,who ever thought that up should get shot.Its Future World and its gonna stay Future World.

Main Street USA

If anyone read my posts about what Disney is doing to Epcot, you'd see that I'm a guy that is pretty upset about the destruction of the entertainment + education factor that EPCOT Center was all about.

However, this plan, true or not, seems to keep alive the education aspect in a sense, which surprises me.

- Living Seas would change to Under the Sea, which would EDUCATE the public about how much the oceans and seas mean to human nature.

- The Land relatively stays the same, expect for the addition of the Soarin attraction, which EDUCATES us and lets us travel to different, amazing places throughout the World.

- JII3 will STILL suck.:lol:

- Test Track gets the Jr. Autopia, which is sort of a classic, but uneducational.

- The Rainforest Rollercoaster would certainly not be called that, and if it weren't overly visible from the rest of the park, (hidden by the "rainforest"), I'm sure it would educate us about the rainforest during the queue and the preshow.

- Wonders of Life - well, we know nothing

- Mission: Space EDUCATES us about the space program in a sense, AND the attraction itself is great.

- Ellen's Energy Adventure is as educational as it ever was, so if that reamins untouched, we have yet another EDUCATIONAL attraction.

- Time racers will basically encompass the same story we currently know, only updated with a new ride system.

So, from my count, this really only leaves 1 or 2 things that are drastically changed from the original concept. The tree and landscape idea, I believe, is to make the area more aesthetically pleasing, not to mention easier to breathe in.:D

Anyhow, I think if this were to go through full tilt, it would be a good change from the current Epcot.

WOULD IT BE A GOOD CHANGE FROM THE ORIGINAL? My opinion on that is a simple "no." But that EPCOT doesn't exist anymore, so there really isn't much we can do about that.

Buford

I'm a teenager, but I'm certainly not coaster crazy! Many of my friends are, yet they are surprisely VERY interested in rides like Spaceship Earth and Carousel of Progress... :lol:

adr315

I have absolutely no problems with this..... i have thoroughly enjoyed all of Epcot (WoM and Horizons too!) for my entire life.... yet as Walt said himself, Change is inevitable.....this is obviously not a "cheap fix", seeing as it costs as much as a new park would.... I wouldnt mind missing out on the hedge maze, the coaster, and the autopia, but all the trees, TIME RACERS, Soaring, Seas, and all the work to communicore (including CoP) is spectacular, IMO..... If Microsoft chips in on Time Racers (probably $100-200 million), then maybe, just maybe, we can see this plan fulfilled in its wonderful entirety (or most of it)...

but then again, at Disney, plans always elvove..... but its nice to know that almost everyone supports this wonderful plan..... ill have my fingers crossed till 2006.....

Main Street USA

Originally posted by OneLittleSpark
Disney in 2006...

If there is no Future World...

EPCOT will be come the community of TODAY, TEENAGERS, and THRILL RIDES... *I'm a teenager, but all the kids at school would love this, even though I am opposed to the project - this is a generality*

...Featuring Discoveryland and World Showcase...

And since we're changing names...

The FIRST thing that has to go is Walt Disney.

Welcome to "THE MICHAEL EISNER COMPANY"...and that will be the reality.

This seems to be an overreaction to a few of the rides being a little faster than before. It seems you're upset about the original EPCOT being taken apart, and so am I. In fact, it makes me emotionally sick to see pics of World of Motion and Horizons being destroyed, but don't you think this plan is an improvement on Epcot's CURRENT state?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom