Princess and the frog a failure?

Lee

Adventurer
Like how in Sherlock Holmes last night they used the line "Death is only the Beginning."
Ditto.
Right after he said "Death...", I whispered "No....don't say it...."
:rolleyes:
He did.

Makes me self-conscious about my own writing. I have a strong urge to go back and check my script for eye-roll lines like that.:lol:

_Scar

I don't get it.

The music was awesome and one of the few Disney movies where I can stand every single song in the movie. This movie def. captures New Orleans and IS a true Disney classic in my eyes. Get off the whole "Randy Newman ruined it!- and get his name right!

SoccerMickey

It might as well have been direct-to-DVD seeing as how most people think that it will only be successful on DVD. Probably would have saved the company a lot of money (and embarassment) as well.

I wouldn't say that Disney has anything to be "embarrassed" by this film. It certainly drags after the first half hour but it's a solid film. I put it in the same category as Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules. Other films like Atlantis and Home on the Range are films that SHOULD make Disney embarrassed.

dxwwf3

I don't get it.

As others have mentioned, Disney cheapened its brand. A Disney branded film is something that actually KEEPS ME AWAY from the theater nowadays. Take away Pirates and I guess The Emperor's New Groove was the last time I saw a Disney film in the theater and was pleased. Disney does not equal quality at the movie theater.

DisneyCanadian

I don't see how this movie can already be deemed a failure?
Most critics are giving the movie great reviews and it has been in wide distribution for just over 2 weeks and has made about 70% of its budget back?

From my understanding the money it has made only counts U.S. and Canadian ticket sales. I'm glad Lasseter was pushing for the traditional animation.

SoccerMickey

As others have mentioned, Disney cheapened its brand. A Disney branded film is something that actually KEEPS ME AWAY from the theater nowadays. Take away Pirates and I guess The Emperor's New Groove was the last time I saw a Disney film in the theater and was pleased. Disney does not equal quality at the movie theater.

That's true and I think its going to be even more true when that new Winnie the Pooh movie comes out. There is a poster for it in Magic of Disney Animation at Hollywood Studios but even though this is a production that has all of Walt Disney Studios' support, like Princess and the Frog, how is the average movie goer going to differentiate it from all the cheapquels that made it into the theatre like Piglet's Big Movie and The Tigger Movie?

tirian

I don't see how this movie can already be deemed a failure?
Most critics are giving the movie great reviews and it has been in wide distribution for just over 2 weeks and has made about 70% of its budget back?

From my understanding the money it has made only counts U.S. and Canadian ticket sales. I'm glad Lasseter was pushing for the traditional animation.

Because that's what people do on the Internet. They pretend to be experts on things they don't know...

...like referring to a deceased actor in the present tense.

:D

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I agree. The fact is that Disney marketed this movie to be in the same category of Mermaid, BatB, Aladdin, and TLK and it just wasn't. :shrug:

What do you expect Disney to do? Market that it's an ok film that's not quite as good as the best ones they've made in the past?

trr1

here are some totals

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Final figures will be released Monday.
1. "Avatar," $75 million.
2. "Sherlock Holmes," $65.4 million.
3. "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel," $50.2 million.
4. "It's Complicated," $22.1 million.
5. "Up in the Air," $11.8 million.
6. "The Blind Side," $11.7 million.
7. "The Princess and the Frog," $8.7 million.
8. "Nine," $5.5 million.
9. "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" $5 million.
10. "Invictus," $4.4 million.
so far The Princess and the Frog has made $63,357,000
found here
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/weekend/

scasta86

Since when is having a $63 M box office gross in two weeks and 85% of critics praising a film, make it a failure??:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

WDWFigment

There is no accounting for taste.

It boggles my mind that movies like Transformers 2, Garfield, National Treasure 2, and Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 do so well commercially (for clarification's sake, I think it's important to note that "failure" means commercial failure in most uses of the term in the movie industry). Perhaps it's a sign of our society, or perhaps I just have bad taste. I cringe when I hear lines like those cited from ____ or Avatar. The lines don't ruin the movie for me, but I do think "c'mon, really?!"

As for PatF, I think as it stands, it's a commercial failure. I don't recall it being explicitly touted as being as good as the hand drawn classics, but they certainly compared it to the early 1990s films, and the implicit suggestion was that it would restore Disney hand drawn animation to its glory. Regardless of how much the film itself cost, the money spent on advertising makes it undeniable that Disney had huge expectations for the film, and wasn't putting it out there as a film at a lower tier than the 90s classics. In light of the box office numbers thus far, I don't think that's happened. Conversely, it has not been a failure, either.

However, given the quality of the film, a lot can change between now and say, 5 or even 40 years from now. DVD, Blu-ray, merchandise, etc., sales all make a big difference, as do the inherent values in the intellectual property from the film itself (are the characters memorable? can they market them in the future, use them in the parks? etc.). I guess what I'm saying is that although the film hasn't been as profitable as expected thus far, it's far too early to count it out. A lot depends on how Disney plays its cards with the film for its home release and beyond. Then, we'll know how it fits into the canon of Disney animated releases.

the-reason14

Princess and frog is not a failure, what have been reading? From what I hear its doing great. The commercials say its the best disney movie since the lion king, and that its number 1. I havent seen it yet, but Im sure its great. It may not have done as good as TLM did in its opening weeks, but Im hoping that this has the staying power to where it can get disney back on track as far as animation and stuff is concerned. Besides, its about dang time disney had a black princess, and another legit princess movie.

the-reason14

Don't be fooled by the ads.

That being said, it's an average film with an average performance.

How exactly can one be fooled by the ads? I mean, its not like they said, "Chicken Little is the number one movie in America." Or, "Meet the Robinsons is the number one movie in America." PATF may not be number 1, but compared to the last 5 or so cg films disney has released, I would say the ads are more than accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom