PRIDE: Community

Tony the Tigger

Well, I’m being up-lectured on FB by LGBT’s born after I marched on Washington who are telling me I don’t know about Stonewall.

Also it’s apparently my white privilege, and I obviously don’t care about gay PoC or transgendered folks.

If there is any safe space for those members of the LGBT community who have justifiable trepidation about police, it’s at a Pride event.

BuddyThomas

This was supposed to come out in February. Hmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, four major musicals are scheduled for this year:

In the Heights

West Side Story

Everybody's Talking About Jamie (if it gets released)

Dear Evan Hansen

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Police as an organization has been banned from marching in Vancouver Pride, I think most prides up here in fact.

Members can still march, just not in uniform and the departments themselves can't apply to be in the parade.

Seeing as the history of the police and LGBTQ+ is... well you know what it is. And then many members of our own community do not feel safe around the police, I believe this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do until real reform takes place, and real amends and reconciliation is made.

ETA:

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Police as an organization has been banned from marching in Vancouver Pride, I think most prides up here in fact.

Members can still march, just not in uniform and the departments themselves can't apply to be in the parade.

Seeing as the history of the police and LGBTQ+ is... well you know what it is. And then many members of our own community do not feel safe around the police, I believe this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do until real reform takes place, and real amends and reconciliation is made.

ETA:

I don’t think it’s reasonable at all. It’s short-sighted, reactionary, and antagonistic.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Yeah screw the lgbt police officers though. (Sarcasm) 🙄

Not sure what sarcasm means in this case, but just using your point to jump off of.

Nothing bars them from participating, but why would they need to do so in uniform?

The organizations/institutions have been banned, rightfully so. Not the individual.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Why shouldn’t they be allowed in uniform? I’m so tired of the lgbtq community picking and choosing who is and isn’t worthy.

The reasons are outlined in the articles I shared, and you can listen to many others for why they believe police institutions involvement is not wanted right now.

My belief as a white gay men who has a pretty cushy life and has never felt fear around police - listen to the members of our community who do feel fear and lack of safety around the police, understand, and honour what they need. It’s got to be a safe space for all, and if that means an institution doesn’t march in a parade, that’s no big deal to me.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster

When this first started coming up a few years ago, I was just like you. I thought “what the heck, why are we doing this? This is crazy.”

But I then started to stop and listen to other members of the community. And my opinion changed. If this is important to them, if they feel unsafe, I will support them fully.

The members of our community who are asking for these changes are often the most marginalized by the general populace just because of their race, and then often marginalized or fetishized by those in the LGBT community. How can I, as a white gay man, tell them what they need or feel is invalid or wrong?

And then how can I reconcile the history of the police, which is really the reason we have pride in the first place, and the lack of any true amends by the police? They have work to do - and until that is done, the institution can stay away from our parades.

Allies or LGBT members in the police can still participate, just not in uniform or associated with the police, and quite frankly, why would they need to be during the parade?

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

When this first started coming up a few years ago, I was just like you. I thought “what the heck, why are we doing this? This is crazy.”

But I then started to stop and listen to other members of the community. And my opinion changed. If this is important to them, if they feel unsafe, I will support them fully.

The members of our community who are asking for these changes are often the most marginalized by the general populace just because of their race, and then often marginalized or fetishized by those in the LGBT community. How can I, as a white gay man, tell them what they need or feel is invalid or wrong?

And then how can I reconcile the history of the police, which is really the reason we have pride in the first place, and the lack of any true amends by the police? They have work to do - and until that is done, the institution can stay away from our parades.

Allies or LGBT members in the police can still participate, just not in uniform or associated with the police, and quite frankly, why would they need to be during the parade?
If I was a violent, mentally deranged homophobe, a giant cop-less pride parade might sound like an appealing opportunity to cause a terrible incident. Just sayin’. I’m actually considering not going this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom