PRIDE: Community

MinnieM123

Premium Member
If I was a violent, mentally deranged homophobe, a giant cop-less pride parade might sound like an appealing opportunity to cause a terrible incident. Just sayin’. I’m actually considering not going this year.
Years ago, I was in the city (not NYC) on a weekend. Heard some music and a crowd, so I walked over and saw a festive parade going by. Then, I realized it was a pride event.

Didn't matter that I (and perhaps some others, in the crowd) were straight -- the organizers put out their all-inclusive welcome mat for absolutely everyone, to join them in their spirit of celebration. People were friendly to all.

I also noticed quite a few families with babies in strollers, toddlers holding balloons, and even their family dogs joining in the fun.

Buddy, based upon what I saw above, I wanted to support your position that a visible, uniformed police presence may be a better deterrent (if anyone, or any group) wanted to create any waves during the event, considering today's unbalanced climate. The officers are trained in crowd situations, and I feel they could provide a safer experience for all ages -- from infants to seniors, in the crowd.

(I hope you can still go and enjoy your parade, regardless. Maybe just select a viewing spot, such as a side street behind you, for quick egress only if needed.)

Tony the Tigger

How can I, as a white gay man, tell them what they need or feel is invalid or wrong?
Because white gay men for most of history were treated at least as badly as the entire LGBT community. Glad you didn't have to live that yourself.

While we may have some advantages if we "blend," we are not only part of the community, but a part that played a very integral role in opening the closet door for the rest. And it would have been very easy to leave off the "T." We, as a community, chose not to do that.
And then how can I reconcile the history of the police, which is really the reason we have pride in the first place, and the lack of any true amends by the police? They have work to do - and until that is done, the institution can stay away from our parades.
Because that's not the entire history of the police. Part of the history of the police is when they stopped raiding gay bars and then decades later started to participate in Pride events. That was a huge coup/win to have them physically join in and be present, to show solidarity either as members of the community or allies. Those of us who were around remember how important it was. Now they often have recruitment booths at pride to encourage LGBT folks to join the force.

Today some are taking that win away and saying, "Come back when you're perfect." As if any of us are perfect, no matter how we watch our words. We should also eliminate all white men from Pride, since so many of us fetishize black, latino, trans, etc., and since there is blatant racism throughout the community. Or just cancel it altogether because of the (thankfully dwindling) legendary feud between gay men and lesbians.

No, we're not perfect, no one is perfect, and there is a disturbing and pointless trend of purity testing among the younger generations, IMHO. I get in trouble here for acknowledging the simple truth that perspective comes with age, that we're all know-it-alls at 24, but now all the 24 year old know-it-alls are organized via twitter, although they aren't yet aware of the all important factor to "know what you don't know."

It's as asinine as those who said, "But Hillary was against gay marriage!" Well, duh! Of course she was, along with 90% of the rest of the world! The point is, she came around when it was properly explained to her, as so many people did.

We, in the 80's and 90's, marching, educating people including politicians, living by example, changing hearts and minds by coming out to loved ones with preconceived notions who could then no longer reconcile those notions and had to dig deeper on the LGBT questions - we are the reason why people born in the 90's and 2000's were able to come out at younger ages, to have Will & Grace on TV (to start) to have gay/straight alliance clubs (unheard of in my day, there was not one single out person in my high school of 1500 students.)

And we are thrilled that the younger gay people can take our wins for granted and push for the next level. But I resent when our achievements are minimized because we were only two decades ahead of our time and not four.

I have been hearing your exact arguments all over the internet and vehemently fighting back against them on all fronts.

Sometimes, you take the win. And then keep going.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Because white gay men for most of history were treated at least as badly as the entire LGBT community. Glad you didn't have to live that yourself.

While we may have some advantages if we "blend," we are not only part of the community, but a part that played a very integral role in opening the closet door for the rest. And it would have been very easy to leave off the "T." We, as a community, chose not to do that.

Because that's not the entire history of the police. Part of the history of the police is when they stopped raiding gay bars and then decades later started to participate in Pride events. That was a huge coup/win to have them physically join in and be present, to show solidarity either as members of the community or allies. Those of us who were around remember how important it was. Now they often have recruitment booths at pride to encourage LGBT folks to join the force.

Today some are taking that win away and saying, "Come back when you're perfect." As if any of us are perfect, no matter how we watch our words. We should also eliminate all white men from Pride, since so many of us fetishize black, latino, trans, etc., and since there is blatant racism throughout the community. Or just cancel it altogether because of the (thankfully dwindling) legendary feud between gay men and lesbians.

No, we're not perfect, no one is perfect, and there is a disturbing and pointless trend of purity testing among the younger generations, IMHO. I get in trouble here for acknowledging the simple truth that perspective comes with age, that we're all know-it-alls at 24, but now all the 24 year old know-it-alls are organized via twitter, although they aren't yet aware of the all important factor to "know what you don't know."

It's as asinine as those who said, "But Hillary was against gay marriage!" Well, duh! Of course she was, along with 90% of the rest of the world! The point is, she came around when it was properly explained to her, as so many people did.

We, in the 80's and 90's, marching, educating people including politicians, living by example, changing hearts and minds by coming out to loved ones with preconceived notions who could then no longer reconcile those notions and had to dig deeper on the LGBT questions - we are the reason why people born in the 90's and 2000's were able to come out at younger ages, to have Will & Grace on TV (to start) to have gay/straight alliance clubs (unheard of in my day, there was not one single out person in my high school of 1500 students.)

And we are thrilled that the younger gay people can take our wins for granted and push for the next level. But I resent when our achievements are minimized because we were only two decades ahead of our time and not four.

I have been hearing your exact arguments all over the internet and vehemently fighting back against them on all fronts.

Sometimes, you take the win. And then keep going.

We will have to agree to disagree.

And in general this seems to be the consensus by the majority - police are out of the parades.

It works for me, but I hope you don’t think that means no one understands or appreciates the fight that has happened, but a new fight has begun, and this one is led by the BIPOC members of our community. This fight, this movement, it’s just as valid today in 2021 as those who fought before I was born.

IMO.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
If I was a violent, mentally deranged homophobe, a giant cop-less pride parade might sound like an appealing opportunity to cause a terrible incident. Just sayin’. I’m actually considering not going this year.

Obviously that’s a bit of a different situation over there - as Vancouver Police would still be doing the usual safety and security measures for Vancouver Pride.

Hopefully it is well thought through and everyone feels safe with the private firm.

tcool123

25 minutes away:

Huge fan of the cast this season, I’m fully Team Jan but don’t think she’ll win.

Excited to see Ginger Minj return, and I guess it’s time to start recycling All Stars 2 queens. Hopefully they just keep it to a minimum as most of those queens got their fair shot.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Huge fan of the cast this season, I’m fully Team Jan but don’t think she’ll win.

Excited to see Ginger Minj return, and I guess it’s time to start recycling All Stars 2 queens. Hopefully they just keep it to a minimum as most of those queens got their fair shot.

I am living for this cast. SOO many favourites.

tcool123

Was watching the Launchpad shorts on Disney+ and surprised of the representation in the shorts albeit their background characters but in Growing Fangs there’s a non-binary character and the popular girl was lesbian. In Let’s Be Tigers the child who is babysat in the short film has two dads. And of course the Little Prince(ss) fights the gender color norms

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom