Press event Tuesday, Jan. 18th.

Lee

Adventurer
On a scale from retro EPCOT pins to the construction of Western River Expedition, how much will my inner fanboi explode with excitement?
For most...
death-star-explosion-star-wars.jpg

Lee, is this HUGE "thing" part of Fantasyland? Or is it elsewhere in the MK?
Elsewhere in MK.

I know this is probably taboo to ask, but are the legit insiders' identities and credentials known by others on this board, or are folks like Lee just trusted because of a strong past track record?
Little of both, I guess...

The Speedway is getting replaced?
Nah. I wish...:rolleyes:

NYwdwfan

How sad is it that the depths of my Disney madness compels me to check this forum every hour until the actual announcement is made, just to watch people go at it in this thread?

In the absence of actual info, it'll have to do . . . . :ROFLOL:

At least you can check every hour...I was away for 8 hours and had 10 pages (of which there were 17 posts asking if it's streaming live) to catch up on. And yet - I read them all!!

pax_65

I am glad to see it go. Snow White's Scary Adventure was one of my favorite rides, before they added Snow White to the ride.

Whenever a classic Disney ride is replace there is always some sadness. But c'mon... Disney can do better than Snow White's Scary Adventures. It's a classic dark ride, yeah, but the technology is bare bones - basically what you'd see in any "Haunted House" type attraction in any local amusement park - although admittedly Disney's sets are more well-done and beautiful.

The technology now exists for a dark ride to make you feel like you're truly a part of the action around you, not just a spectator traveling through. Historically Disney has made the most innovative dark rides - I'd like to see them create a new dark ride that blows everything else that's been done out of the water.

I was watching a show about the planning and construction of WDW last night. We always hate to see classic attractions go and we say, "What would Walt say!" Well... watching this show, seeing and hearing Walt, I think he would have said "The future is always changing" and he would wonder what took so long to change the attraction.

If the #1 emotion you get on a ride is "nostalgia" because you're ridden the ride hundreds of times since you were a kid, that's nice but that's not good enough. A ride should inspire, excite, inform, entertain and provide enjoyment beyond simple feelings of nostalgia.

This is the case with Snow White and the Speedway for sure. Disney can do better than these attractions.

WDWFigment

Whenever a classic Disney ride is replace there is always some sadness. But c'mon... Disney can do better than Snow White's Scary Adventures. It's a classic dark ride, yeah, but the technology is bare bones - basically what you'd see in any "Haunted House" type attraction in any local amusement park - although admittedly Disney's sets are more well-done and beautiful.

The technology now exists for a dark ride to make you feel like you're truly a part of the action around you, not just a spectator traveling through. Historically Disney has made the most innovative dark rides - I'd like to see them create a new dark ride that blows everything else that's been done out of the water.

I was watching a show about the planning and construction of WDW last night. We always hate to see classic attractions go and we say, "What would Walt say!" Well... watching this show, seeing and hearing Walt, I think he would have said "The future is always changing" and he would wonder what took so long to change the attraction.

If the #1 emotion you get on a ride is "nostalgia" because you're ridden the ride hundreds of times since you were a kid, that's nice but that's not good enough. A ride should inspire, excite, inform, entertain and provide enjoyment beyond simple feelings of nostalgia.

This is the case with Snow White and the Speedway for sure. Disney can do better than these attractions.

Agreed 100%.

When we rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland last fall for the first time since we were kids, we said, "that's it?!" at the end. Some attractions may be loved for their nostalgic value, but if that's all they have going for them, a change is due.

DocMcHulk

You have exactly worded the thoughts I have had for a long time, but far better written than I ever could have.

TinkerBell9988

Sorry I'm a little late in the game, but...

What time is this press event supposed to happen? And where is the location of it? LBV? NY?

Thanks!! :)

ChrisM

Absolutely agreed. SWSA is such a painfully dated attraction, it now reminds me of something only slightly better than you'd see at a traveling carnival show. Truly. It's terrible. I also avoid the Speedway like the plague.

For the longest time I waxed nostalgic over Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, until it became such a burden I watched an old ride video of it on YouTube. Any pain I once felt at it's absence instantly vanished. If I want to ride through a bunch of cardboard cutouts, I can probably jimmy up a fairly decent recreation in my basement. That ride was decades past its prime.

Along the same lines, every time I ride through the prehistoric portion of Universe of Energy, I can't help but cringe. That sucker is dated beyond belief.

Ultimately my point is this - my fondness for WDW comes from two youthful sources:

(1) The memories of the excitement surrounding a big family trip and having everyone in one place experiencing it together.

(2) The fact that many of the attractions were truly cutting edge and things you simply couldn't see anywhere else. As a child, those are impressions that last a lifetime. Until you go back as a jaded adult and it literally hasn't changed an iota and it now totally sucks.

Atomicmickey

My guess is they are moving Harry Potter land and Spider Man over to MK.

:lol:

Watch now. That'll get repeated as a rumor somewhere.

But . . . gaaaa!

Indy.
Adventurer's Club.
Something.

GAAAAAAAA!

NYwdwfan

Found this at orlandosentinel.com - bold part (not the title) made me laugh:

OrlandoSentinel.com: Disney to unveil new Fantasyland expansion details

By Jason Garcia and Dewayne Bevil, Orlando Sentinel
10:09 AM EST, January 18, 2011

Walt Disney World executives are expected tonight to unveil additional details about the resort's Fantasyland expansion project, during an evening presentation to travel press inside the Magic Kingdom.

The event will mark Disney's first extended comments about the Fantasyland project since company executives acknowledged last summer that they were redrawing significant elements of a plan that was first unveiled in September 2009.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs, the former Walt Disney Co. chief financial officer who took over Disney's theme-park division at the start of 2010, said at the time that he wanted to "broaden" the appeal of the project, which focused heavily on Disney's girl-oriented princess and fairy franchises.

Though Disney has since declined to discuss project specifics, rumors have been circulating for months on various online Disney fan forums that the revised plans will include a moderate, indoor roller coaster themed around Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Disney has said the Fantasyland project, which it has billed as the largest expansion in the Magic Kingdom's history, will open in phases beginning in 2012.

This evening's event at Disney World is timed to take advantage of the presence of scores of travel writers, who are already in Central Florida and scheduled to depart tomorrow on a preview voyage aboard Disney's new $900 million cruise ship, the Disney Dream.

Disney will also use the event to unveil a central feature of its "Let the Memories Begin" advertising campaign: The projection of hundreds of photos taken by guests onto Cinderella Castle. Disney says the castle and Disneyland's "it's a small world" attraction will continue to feature such projections throughout 2011.

raven

Original Poster
When a double cheese burger with fries and a drink qsr meal costs more than a quad stacker combo at the travel plaza on the ac expressway, yeh prcies might be slightly too high.

For theme park food it's priced about right. The last time I went to Cedar Point I got a 6" Subway sadnwich for $9. If I wanted to add chips and a drink it would've been $15. Mini corndog nuggets, fries and a coke cost me $13 up there as it was my normal meal at Cedar Point.

Are they moving the Adventurers Club to Adventureland in the MK :drevil:

My roomate was in there Monday morning and said the place was slowly being gutted.

When we rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland last fall for the first time since we were kids, we said, "that's it?!" at the end. Some attractions may be loved for their nostalgic value, but if that's all they have going for them, a change is due.

I am a sucker for dark rides of any sort. While I love the classic elements of Snow White it needed to be updated very bad. Building a new ride with the same theme is there way of doing that. Even Peter Pan is dated. I've often said the best possible thing they could do to that ride is swap out the vehicles for 2-seaters doubling the capacity and shortening the wait time.

djkidkaz

Oh ok, I was nosing around on some other site as well and it seems that this earth shattering possibility is whatever was scheduled to be in the spot of the Princess M&G's before it was axed and replaced by the Princess castles and now to be replaced by Snow White coaster.

I also noticed that its something scheduled for another park, so they will just be making two of them.

So who knows what was the first thing scheduled for the middle spot of the FLE? Whatever it was is seemingly being added back in just put elsewhere in the MK.

raven

Original Poster
Found this at orlandosentinel.com - bold part (not the title) made me laugh:

Though Disney has since declined to discuss project specifics, rumors have been circulating for months on various online Disney fan forums that the revised plans will include a moderate, indoor roller coaster themed around Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Disney has said the Fantasyland project, which it has billed as the largest expansion in the Magic Kingdom's history, will open in phases beginning in 2012.

And while we may be excited to finaly here the official word, plans as of June last year slate the ride not being open until early summer of 2014. So let's quickly put that into perspective if people are planning their trip around riding it. But as said before, plans can change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom