Premium Parking coming to Walt Disney World's parking lots?

Rider

Aladdin is an interesting choice. On one hand if you're down on the far end its a quick walk to TTC but if you get parked by the tram lane you might as well wait for the tram. Any way you cut it you're paying $15 more to walk further (vs from your car to tram). The only benefit is avoiding long tram lines at the end of the night.

It's also a huge lot which if they don't sell a lot of upgrades is a lot of wasted spots. Jafar is both smaller and closer from the far end to the TTC. But it all looks very temporary so they could easily change lots.

jakeman

There have been guards there for years. They wouldn't need a gate guard for that. Very few rapist drive into the main entrance and show them a sign saying that they intend to rape someone. Nice try, but, that is one reason, not the reason. Look it makes no sense to argue with me because I am not the one that has that policy. Talk to Disney about it. I'm just telling you that this is what they expect and whether or not you or anyone else decides to do it differently, then I'm not trying to stop you. However, since there are pages of complaints about Disney and the Money grabbing system, would be OK with having a system that allows people to bypass paying for parking? Sadly, they don't enforce it most of the time.

I will again repeat, I don't personally care if you park on the roof of the building, I'm just telling you what the rules are, not whether or not they should or shouldn't enforce them. That's up to them, but, they can at anytime, so beware, there may come a time when taking that route isn't going to be laden with a wonderful end result. They just instituted a $15.00 extra charge for parking close to the parks... do you really believe that they are OK with letting people do the same thing for free.
You asked why they have guards there. Guard shacks are a result of the story from 1993 that I linked. Whether that is their purpose now, I don't care. I was only providing backstory.

If you want to construe that as arguing, then have at it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have always been told it was a maximum limit of three hours for a dining reservation if you were parking in a lot other than your own hotel. I do valet my car ( Thanks TiW) so I never have had to be concerned about that, but it was VERY clearly stated when I entered the resort at the guard booth. Marie

Let's put it this way, Disney is a LOT more likely to enforce the policy at the Contemporary and Poly especially without a hotel reservation paper on the dash, At SSR/OKW/AKL Disney is unlikely to care. I'd bet Valet is immune as you are paying to park.

fillerup

Are you sure that there are no signs anywhere, or have you just not seen them. Why would then have a guard there if it wasn't a controlled lot. Not the same thing and you know it.

Of course it's a controlled lot - I never said otherwise.

If there were tow zone signs as required by Florida law I would have seen them. As a local I'm at the various resorts quite a lot.

Here's a copy and past from the Florida statutes:

a. The notice must be prominently placed at each driveway access or curb cut allowing vehicular access to the property, within 5 feet from the public right-of-way line. If there are no curbs or access barriers, the signs must be posted not less than one sign for each 25 feet of lot frontage.
b. The notice must clearly indicate, in not less than 2-inch high, light-reflective letters on a contrasting background, that unauthorized vehicles will be towed away at the owner’s expense. The words “tow-away zone” must be included on the sign in not less than 4-inch high letters.
c. The notice must also provide the name and current telephone number of the person or firm towing or removing the vehicles or vessels.
d. The sign structure containing the required notices must be permanently installed with the words “tow-away zone” not less than 3 feet and not more than 6 feet above ground level and must be continuously maintained on the property for not less than 24 hours prior to the towing or removal of any vehicles or vessels.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I don't really see this being advantageous at their most popular park. Regardless of where you leave your car, you're still not "close" to the maingate.

The lot will be built in the middle of the castle courtyard. They cleared out all of the trees so they can install the footings for the structure.

Dasnowz

i see this as part of the pay to park at resorts coming soon..... so those who now park at resorts to avoid this type of stuff will now get a parking ticket to get validated for x amount of time to park or you pay x amount to stay the day. this is a wide spread property thing coming soon to a parking lot near you....

ILOVEDISNEY

Quite a few cars in the preferred parking area right behind the handicap area on the east side at EPCOT today. There were printed sandwich boards and a CM directing the cars. I did not notice what the upcharge was, or how the cars were identified for preferred parking. Sorry.

ElvisMickey

If there were tow zone signs as required by Florida law I would have seen them. As a local I'm at the various resorts quite a lot.

Here's a copy and past from the Florida statutes:

a. The notice must be prominently placed at each driveway access or curb cut allowing vehicular access to the property, within 5 feet from the public right-of-way line. If there are no curbs or access barriers, the signs must be posted not less than one sign for each 25 feet of lot frontage.
b. The notice must clearly indicate, in not less than 2-inch high, light-reflective letters on a contrasting background, that unauthorized vehicles will be towed away at the owner’s expense. The words “tow-away zone” must be included on the sign in not less than 4-inch high letters.
c. The notice must also provide the name and current telephone number of the person or firm towing or removing the vehicles or vessels.
d. The sign structure containing the required notices must be permanently installed with the words “tow-away zone” not less than 3 feet and not more than 6 feet above ground level and must be continuously maintained on the property for not less than 24 hours prior to the towing or removal of any vehicles or vessels.

This is exactly my point. The "3 hour rule" still may technically be in place. However on days that they're enforcing it, they will tell you so on your way in. But lately there has been no verbal, written or posted warning saying that you have to move your car after a certain amount of hours. I'm local as well and have done this several times a month over the last 2 years and haven't been warned about moving my car once.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They wouldn't let you in if they were that concerned.

No, it's called 'you don't hassle your real customers' - that's why they aren't strict about enforcing things.. its based on a notion called TRUST. Trust that people will respect each other, people will respect rules and intentions. But people like yourself and others posting here will game the freedoms to your advantage... costing EVERYONE in the long run.

Your post reminds me of the people who argue "well they didn't have a sign saying I COULDN'T take things from the store shelf and just walk away". You clearly know what the rules are, you clearly know what their intentions are, yet, because there is no explicit barrier to do so you justify abusing the privileges. Way to go... this is why we can't have nice things.

ElvisMickey

No, it's called 'you don't hassle your real customers' - that's why they aren't strict about enforcing things.. its based on a notion called TRUST. Trust that people will respect each other, people will respect rules and intentions. But people like yourself and others posting here will game the freedoms to your advantage... costing EVERYONE in the long run.

Your post reminds me of the people who argue "well they didn't have a sign saying I COULDN'T take things from the store shelf and just walk away". You clearly know what the rules are, you clearly know what their intentions are, yet, because there is no explicit barrier to do so you justify abusing the privileges. Way to go... this is why we can't have nice things.

I'm really not sure how this is abusing the privilege. We are paying to eat at the resort. I don't think it's a huge deal that they let you stay parked there for an extra few hours. And by the way, those of us who have a Tables In Wondeland card get free valet parking at each resort with a reservation which again, we are paying extra for. So we're not abusing anything.

halltd

I'm really not sure how this is abusing the privilege. We are paying to eat at the resort. I don't think it's a huge deal that they let you stay parked there for an extra few hours. And by the way, those of us who have a Tables In Wondeland card get free valet parking at each resort with a reservation which again, we are paying extra for. So we're not abusing anything.
Actually, yes. You ARE abusing the privilege as stated in the terms and conditions of your Tables in Wonderland card, but I'm sure you don't really care.

Valet and Parking:
  • Resort valet services are complimentary to Tables in Wonderland members, for the sole purpose of dining at one of the participating Resort restaurants. This privilege will only be extended to one vehicle per membership card. Present your membership card with a valid dining receipt from the participating Resort restaurant at the Valet Stand upon retrieving your vehicle. Complimentary Resort valet parking is not intended for length of stay at a Resort and may only be used if the vehicle is parked at a Resort for the sole purpose of dining at one of the participating Resort restaurants of that same resort. On Tables in Wonderland block-out dates, there will be a charge for parking and valet services.
  • Theme Park parking is complimentary to Tables in Wonderland members, for the sole purpose of dining at one of the participating Theme Park restaurants. Before 5:00pm, please pay for parking at the Auto Plaza. Visit Guest Relations on your way out of the Theme Park, and if it has been less than 3 hours, show your membership card, parking receipt, and dining receipt for parking reimbursement. After 5:00pm., members can show their membership card at the Auto Plaza to enter the parking lot. Theme Park admission is required for dining in all Theme Park restaurant locations. On Tables in Wonderland block-out dates, there will be a charge for parking and valet services.
Terms and Conditions received from: http://tablesinwonderland.com/

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm going to say this once... because I know you aren't actually interested in hearing it and I'm not going to waste time trying to convince you because it's a morals issue which nothing I do will fix you.

You know damn well the parking access for dining reservations is for you to go and dine at the property... not dine, park hop, do whatever, then come back again hours later. The parking privilege is intended for those to come and visit the facility and is not intended to be parking for the theme parks.

They don't enforce it across the board all the time because again, the customer service strategy is to be soft and accommodating. Customers have all kinds of scenarios play out, and being accommodating to uncertainty leads to happier customers.

But your game of buying a desert just to say you are using the facilities is abusing the accommodation because you aren't really there to patronize the restaurant/facility.. you're just making a token purchase or visit so you can claim you should have the parking perk. Your trying to justify the behavior to yourself with the token purchases so you can argue 'to the letter of the law' you are in the right.. but you know you are abusing the intent of the rules. That's why its a morals issue and one nothing I say can snap you out of that.

It's disgusting behavior to believe this makes you 'in the right' and its these types of mindsets that forces companies to eventually take away graces and force everyone into more draconian systems that impede everyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member

If there were tow zone signs as required by Florida law I would have seen them. As a local I'm at the various resorts quite a lot..

When Disney is actually enforcing the limit, and doing things like handing out the parking passes... that interaction could constitute the personal notice necessary (in lieu of signs). So when they are in that mode, they could tow.. but if they aren't giving notice on a day, then they would be at risk about the lack of notice.

ElvisMickey

I'm going to say this once... because I know you aren't actually interested in hearing it and I'm not going to waste time trying to convince you because it's a morals issue which nothing I do will fix you.

You know damn well the parking access for dining reservations is for you to go and dine at the property... not dine, park hop, do whatever, then come back again hours later. The parking privilege is intended for those to come and visit the facility and is not intended to be parking for the theme parks.

They don't enforce it across the board all the time because again, the customer service strategy is to be soft and accommodating. Customers have all kinds of scenarios play out, and being accommodating to uncertainty leads to happier customers.

But your game of buying a desert just to say you are using the facilities is abusing the accommodation because you aren't really there to patronize the restaurant/facility.. you're just making a token purchase or visit so you can claim you should have the parking perk. Your trying to justify the behavior to yourself with the token purchases so you can argue 'to the letter of the law' you are in the right.. but you know you are abusing the intent of the rules. That's why its a morals issue and one nothing I say can snap you out of that.

It's disgusting behavior to believe this makes you 'in the right' and its these types of mindsets that forces companies to eventually take away graces and force everyone into more draconian systems that impede everyone.

So let me get this straight, what you're saying is that if I decide to go to the Contemporary for breakfast on a Saturday morning with free valet parking (because it IS included with my TIW membership...that I am paying for...with no explicit instructions that you MUST move your car as soon as your meal is over), when I'm done eating I should get my car out of valet, drive back to the main parking lot for the MK, get on the tram to the TTC, then hop the monorail or ferry over to the park? OK. Because I'm sure everyone else in the same situation would do that as well.

As an AP holder, I get free parking for the theme parks. I'm not sure what is so immoral or disgusting about giving Disney MORE of my money by choosing to eat at one of the resorts and dropping $10-20 each visit.

I didn't realize this would be such a hot topic. I think there are more concerning guest behaviors to be worried about. However I'll go back and forth with you guys as long as you like.

fillerup

When Disney is actually enforcing the limit, and doing things like handing out the parking passes... that interaction could constitute the personal notice necessary (in lieu of signs). So when they are in that mode, they could tow.. but if they aren't giving notice on a day, then they would be at risk about the lack of notice.

Bear in mind, I'm not arguing in favor of parking at hotels to go the parks, I'm just correcting misinformation that mass towing is going on.

I used to routinely park at Epcot resorts and go to the park but I stopped, largely because of things I read on here from guests saying they might have a hard time finding a spot to get to their rooms. That, frankly hadn't occured to me.

As for time limits and passes, in my experience they don't exist. I used to be handed an orange pass at Wilderness Lodge (only) which had no stated limit. But they stopped giving those out six or seven years ago. A couple of years ago at Christmas, I was given a four hour pass at the Boardwalk remote. But those two examples are my only experiences with limits or a pass. I've never been told, in writing or verbally that there was a limit on my time at the resort.

Florida law is specific and strict (due to past abuses in Orlando specifically), a verbal warning has to specify that the customer is subject to being towed. I think Disney is too cautious as a company to rely on a verbal warning alone, and as you say, too customer friendly to say something that might sound harsh.

halltd

...free valet parking (because it IS included with my TIW membership...that I am paying for...with no explicit instructions that you MUST move your car as soon as your meal is over)
You conveniently skipped over the post taken directly from the TiW rules that state the parking is only valid for the sole purpose of dining and even applies a 3-hour maximum to the theme park parking component. By stating that the parking is valid SOLELY for dining, there's already a stated limit.

I know tons of people do the same as you, but lots of them know they're not supposed to be doing it and recognize that fact. You on the other hand claim that you're not doing anything remotely against the rules. That's why people are making a big deal out of it.

DTale

You conveniently skipped over the post taken directly from the TiW rules that state the parking is only valid for the sole purpose of dining and even applies a 3-hour maximum to the theme park parking component. By stating that the parking is valid SOLELY for dining, there's already a stated limit.

I know tons of people do the same as you, but lots of them know they're not supposed to be doing it and recognize that fact. You on the other hand claim that you're not doing anything remotely against the rules. That's why people are making a big deal out of it.
Next time you're eating at a restaurant at the Contemporary, ask your Host, waitress, or even the hotel concierge if you should leave your car and walk to the park or drive all the way to the TTC.

I GURANTEE YOU, that they will say to leave your car and walk over. That's how we got the idea the first time.

halltd

Next time you're eating at a restaurant at the Contemporary, ask your Host, waitress, or even the hotel concierge if you should leave your car and walk to the park or drive all the way to the TTC.

I GURANTEE YOU, that they will say to leave your car and walk over. That's how we got the idea the first time.
I agree with you. But, the reason they're saying that is to help out what they assume to be a guest with the best intentions that just happened to be eating at the Contemporary as their primary reason and then asked "oh, by the way, what's the best way to get to the Magic Kingdom." Instead, they're talking to someone intentionally gaming the system and parking at the Contemporary with the primary reason of being lazy and covering up their laziness by purchasing a muffin at The Wave.

I'll allow the thread to return to its regularly scheduled topic, though, as there is no convincing the entitled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom