Potter 2.0 Construction Thread

flynnibus

Premium Member
Using this argument, any attraction that has seen a small handful of incidents over its lifespan, without being fundamentally altered, would have to be deemed unsafe

No - it means anything that was found to be a safety issue that the company than chooses to ignore - would result in claims of negligence. The question is 'how much of a safety issue is it?' - by making policy that solidifies the belief it poses a serious risk.. the company has set a standard it can never retreat from. It can only make changes to alter the situation to where they believe it would be safe. And even then, lawyers would argue if steps were significant enough, etc.

It's a case of 'once you admit to something, you can't later deny it'

bubbles1812

And the potential fix for this ride doesn't have to be something drastic like changing the layout (which they wouldn't even contemplate.) It could be as simple as making people empty their pockets and secure other loose items before boarding. Given the nature of the ride, they should've been doing this from the beginning.
They ask people to do this on every single roller coaster ever. Or really any intense ride. Even my dinky local theme park asks. Pretty sure they did that with Dueling Dragons even before the incidents. But you can't "make" people do that. It's just an honor system thing because you can't exactly have employees going in and digging through guest pockets to make sure everything is secured... that's just asking for some fun sexual harassment lawsuits. Not to mention the time it would take. They'd get off about 4 rides per day (exaggerating but you get the idea).

Also, they just can't wait until the "memory dies down" before having them duel again. Like flynn said, if they restarted that with no substantial changes, (and no asking people to empty their pockets would not be enough at all), the first time an incident with flying objects happens, Universal would get sued to high heaven... and lose.

IAmFloridaBorn

I personally never saw value in them dueling, so the ride is essentially the same to me.

The near misses made quite the experience. Otherwise if they are not going to duel, they should not share, same loading stations, and ride interactions. The purpose was solely for the interaction between both coasters to enhance the experience while on the ride. It made for an epic Inverted coaster.

IAmFloridaBorn

They ask people to do this on every single roller coaster ever. Or really any intense ride. Even my dinky local theme park asks. Pretty sure they did that with Dueling Dragons even before the incidents. But you can't "make" people do that. It's just an honor system thing because you can't exactly have employees going in and digging through guest pockets to make sure everything is secured... that's just asking for some fun sexual harassment lawsuits. Not to mention the time it would take. They'd get off about 4 rides per day (exaggerating but you get the idea).

Also, they just can't wait until the "memory dies down" before having them duel again. Like flynn said, if they restarted that with no substantial changes, (and no asking people to empty their pockets would not be enough at all), the first time an incident with flying objects happens, Universal would get sued to high heaven... and lose.

or install some metal detector machine before people enter the queue. ;)

cheezbat

Yeah...although they have some stuff right, they do get stuff wrong. For instance, Japan and Hollywood aren't opening Hogwarts lands...lol. I also believe their opening dates are backwards. Hollywoods version doesn't look like it will open until 2016, while Japan's is on track for 2014.(good thing too. I hope to see it on my honeymoon that year!)

HenryMystic

Basically, the thing to take from the article is that they're filming stuff for Phase 2 and Bellatix may or may not be involved.

Radcliffe said he wouldn't do anymore Potter, so it'll be interesting to see if that's changed.

novawildcat18

He needs to get away from Potter as fast as possible career wise. Don't want to get stuck in one roll like Al Bundy, when Married With Children went off the air he couldn't do anything else because everyone just thought "Al" every where they saw him.
I agree with this but I don't see how it could hurt his image if he comes back to film for a theme park ride. I really hope they can get the whole cast back, especially Dan.

BenSmith

Haven't seen Rupert Grint in anything Non-Potter. Radcliffe and Watson are awesome! Wouldn't want their talent squandered by Cash

BryceM

Haven't seen Rupert Grint in anything Non-Potter. Radcliffe and Watson are awesome! Wouldn't want their talent squandered by Cash
Rupert Grint was in some oscar-winning movies while he was still filming for Harry Potter!

C62A81DC-3B4D-4EAE-8832-4C9925F427B4-10599-000009EB743CE905.jpg

TalkingHead

After going back to WWoHP and finding more nooks and crannies and details (those storefront windows are such a wonder), I realized something.

I'm looking forward to the expansion in the same way I used to look forward to Disney's new offerings.

And I wouldn't call myself a big Potter fan (only read a few of the books), but damn. The rate it takes Disney to design and build, Universal's going to have Orlando's crown jewel parks by 2015. Hell, maybe they already do.

BenSmith

I've gotten some criticism for this, because I feel like Disney will always be No. 1 realistically, meaning as long as they don't ban certain races or make ticket prices 200 dollars a ticket, they will be OK(Not great, OK). Disney is selling more for it's name and it's classic attractions more then what it has accomplished lately. For instance, you never hear, I'm going to Disney World to ride Monsters Inc Laugh Floor!" I think that scenario is more specifically to the MK, not as much the other parks. The Disney name and nostalgia is selling more tickets than quality. I still love Disney, but they have some kinks to work out, if they still want me to spend thousands of dollars to relive past memories. Universal(And every other Non-Disney company), Don't have this luxury, they have to build new attractions every other year to keep attendance up. They also don't have the luxury of having hundreds of acres, so they can build 25 hotels. Orlando was a resort town before they got here. Universal may be the best quality resort in 5-10 years, but Disney will Still be making more money(Not as much Money as they are now, but Still A LOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom