POTC to get Jack Sparrow

CoryMitchell

Empress Room said:
Please tell me that you weren't responsible for the content or presentation of the "Disney's Story of Menstruation" which also appears on JH's website this morning. Certainly Jim's got better things to write about...

I didn't post that story, but I really loved it. I think that Wade gives a really interesting analysis and description of a really unique film. I would highly reccomend that article. Wade is a superb writer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know I’m going to loose every good rep point I have but here goes.
Just stick jack in the corner of the prison at the end of the ride. Have him utter the line “You can keep doing that forever that dog is never going to move”. An old AA can be used with new clothes and skin and Disney can rip the audio straight from the movie so they won’t need to pay Depp to record new dialogue.
The bean counters will be happy because the ride has been updated at little or no cost.
The movie fans will be happy because Jack is in the ride.
The purists won’t be terribly mad because the ride was not drastically altered.
Bang! Everybody wins!

speck76

I think this is a GREAT idea.

First of all, Adventureland needs a boost......and PotC should ALWAYS have a line, being such a large attraction (even with its capacity, it should never be a walk-on)

PotC has never been the attraction at the MK as it is at DL, nor has it ever had the following. The ride could use an improvement, and I don't think this is so bad.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I honestly like the WDW version of the ride better. Dont get me wrong, the DL version Louisianna swamp scene is really neet, but I am kinda at a loss of how you tie in Pirates to the Louisianna swamps. Yes, coastal towns of Louisianna, but not the "cajun" type swamp scene.

Sorcerer Mickey

"The purists won’t be terribly mad because the ride was not drastically altered."

Seeing some replies here, I still think it would upset many PoTC "fans" here.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i like the idea................. doesnt bother me. ive never been on the DL version, now that i got a summary of that one, i want WDW to get updated to something cool like that.

wishful thinking i guess :rolleyes:

PurpleDragon

As long as they don't try to put him in every scene, I don't think it would be a problem. I'm an avid PoTC fan, I love that ride. Every trip I make sure I ride it at least twice.

Putting Jack Sparrow in the final scene prior to the exit area is a great idea. The treasure room scene definately could use some sprucing up, its kind of "blah". A bunch of drunk guys pointing glowing sticks at you(Lights on the guns were stuck in the on position last time I was there) isn't too exciting, it doesn't follow the theme of the rest of the ride. The rest of the ride has things going on all around you, things to look at in every direction. The treasure room is a small single room with 4-5 AA's just sitting there in freakishly uncomfortable positions, swaying from side to side . I think a change in that area would be a great idea.

CoryMitchell

jmaxwell007 said:
here we go again............................ do i need to bring out the kicking shins thing again? i think corymitchell's shins are still bruised from last week. :lol:

Not to worry. I brought pads this week. Although I must say that some of the comments on this board are pretty harsh.

BigNorm

I don't have a problem with Cap'n Jack being in the final scene as long as he isn't placed throughout the attraction. I have a story: the last time I was @ WDW I rode PotC, naturally. There was a little boy in the seat in front of me. His mother, obviously a PotC virgin herself, kept telling him to keep an eye out for Cap'n Jack. When our cruise was over I overheard him saying how disappointed he was because he never could find the good Cap'n. My point is that child was disappointed with a great attraction because he didn't see Sparrow, and for me going to the MK is about a smile on a child's face because they've seen something amazing. If this new Jack Sparrow AA is going to put a smile on a child's face, I'm all for it.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
CoryMitchell said:
Not to worry. I brought pads this week. Although I must say that some of the comments on this board are pretty harsh.
you may need a helmet as well............ just a suggestion. lol :hammer:

The_CEO

BigNorm said:
I don't have a problem with Cap'n Jack being in the final scene as long as he isn't placed throughout the attraction. I have a story: the last time I was @ WDW I rode PotC, naturally. There was a little boy in the seat in front of me. His mother, obviously a PotC virgin herself, kept telling him to keep an eye out for Cap'n Jack. When our cruise was over I overheard him saying how disappointed he was because he never could find the good Cap'n. My point is that child was disappointed with a great attraction because he didn't see Sparrow, and for me going to the MK is about a smile on a child's face because they've seen something amazing. If this new Jack Sparrow AA is going to put a smile on a child's face, I'm all for it.

Wow - I agree 100x!

ToTBellHop

hakunamatata said:
I honestly like the WDW version of the ride better. Dont get me wrong, the DL version Louisianna swamp scene is really neet, but I am kinda at a loss of how you tie in Pirates to the Louisianna swamps. Yes, coastal towns of Louisianna, but not the "cajun" type swamp scene.
The swamps are necessary--Pirates is in New Orleans Square at Disneyland, so it is set in a rural town near New Orleans and you go through underground caves to get into the Caribbean. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than Pirates of the Caribbean next to Aladdin...and Tiki birds...explain that one to me.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I welcome this addition with open arms. DL's version makes ours looks like Dino-Rama and any new things will be a great help. I actually am in favor of more movie additions....the ship after the falls could be redone to look like the Black Pearl and could feature AAs like Barbossa and his crew. And of course, there could always be Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner AAs around.

Hopefully this would also bring in a meet and greet with the movie characters....an Elizabeth Swann character would be an absolutely fantastic addition. :lol:

DizkneeBoi

Account Suspended
Oh gosh what's next Eddie Murphy in the Haunted Mansion or the Country Bears from the flop movie replacing the original Bear AA's?

FigmentJedi

DizkneeBoi said:
Oh gosh what's next Eddie Murphy in the Haunted Mansion or the Country Bears from the flop movie replacing the original Bear AA's?
No, Captain Jack is only getting in because people actually watched Black Pearl and there were many cases of people not knowing the ride came first. Haunted Mansion and Country Bears didn't do well, so thankfully, the attractions they originated from are safe.

PurpleDragon

BigNorm said:
If this new Jack Sparrow AA is going to put a smile on a child's face, I'm all for it.

Well put, couldn't agree more. :wave:

However, there should be a limit to that statement, as to what kind of things will put a smile on kids faces, but I won't go into that.:zipit:

jrashadb

This is one of the few times I've heard about an idea to change a ride based on a movie that I'm totally for. I'm completely down with putting Cpt. Jack in Pirates. I wouldn't mind seeing Commodore Norrington, the lovely Elizabeth Swann either... I even wouldn't have a problem seeing Will Turner, even though I think he's immensely annoying. Like many others here have said, I don't want to see the ride change in order to mirror the movie. But, a splash of the movie here and there would be great.

Gregory

Hmm... maybe Jack Sparrow won't even make it into the actual ride- is it possible he'll be a post-show, in a way? Like, you get off the boats, and the path to the gift shop is renovated- kinda like how Buzz is in Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin? They could have a really advanced Jack Sparrow AA (I don't think an advanced one would fit well with the limited AA's in PotC), thowing out one liners (like, some could be general, and some could be more inside jokes, kinda like Iago at the end of the Tiki Room (Like, he could say "I make $600 million, and I still can't get a spot in the actual ride?"-- Maybe thats a bit too much, but you get the idea)...

And, they might even be able to incorporate the Crush program, that allows Crush to interact with people...

I think that would be the best of both worlds...

xfkirsten

I see nothing at all wrong with adding a Jask Sparrow animatronic to the ride! First of all, the parks were always meant to advertise the company's films! Walt did that from day one. Second, they're not breaking the theme of the ride or anything like that to do this! In fact, they're keeping with it perfectly. Jack Sparrow is not some random character thrown in there. He's a PIRATE. He belongs. Third, it will increase the enjoyment of the ride for that group of the public which wonders where the Jack Sparrow AA is.

The only thing that worries me is how many screaming fangirls I'm going to run into on that ride that I'm gonna want to drown. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom