POTC to get Jack Sparrow

General Grizz

I know that complaints should be satisfied, but I do NOT want to see this.

Disney's Marketing at its best.

Why not put Pooh bear in the Country Bear Jamboree? That will make Pooh fans go wild. : :rolleyes: ...

PotC is original. Make an MGM stageshow. That will bring attendance and revenue. An animatronic based on a movie will likely upset many of the original fans. . .

*SIGH*

Captain Hank

I guess I really don't mind this addition. I don't think it will add any great value to the attraction, hence money going somewhere where it doesn't need to be. On the other hand, I don't think this addition will really hurt the attraction in any way. As long as they don't completely re-theme the attraction around the movie plot, this should really be a minor addition overall. Is it the end of the world? No. Is it imperative that they do this? Probably not. But hey, we get another animatronic in the park! :sohappy:

rad_rat

I'll probably get flamed, given the tone of this thread, but I think the addition of a Jack Sparrow AE character is a great "plus" for this ride! Especially if they approve enough of a budget to make it a quality addition.

What's wrong with "plussing" a classic attraction? Walt was always looking for ways to add more. I'm old enough to remember the Matterhorn at DL, when the only thing you saw inside was the superstructure -- no Bigfoot or anything else. What would it be like if they had decided against changing that because it was a "classic"? And as far as the synergy stuff goes -- Walt started that from the beginning. I mean, he had Sleeping Beauty's Castle built at DL 4 years before the movie came out!

And, as long as I'm ranting, it really bugs me when I hear people complaining about how some of the newer rides lack themed queues, that Disney is getting away from adding the kind of details that made such a good show. Well, again, I'm old enough to remember DL when Walt was still alive, and there were virtually no themed queues back then. For the Matterhorn, you just wound around the mountain. For the subs and the autopias, you had the steel rat mazes. The first themed queue I remember was Space Mountain, and that was 10 years after Walt's death. And compared to Mission Space (which some people decry as a horrible example of lack-of-theming in the queue area), the Space Mountain queue was hardly anything.

Can Disney do better? Sure. But don't complain when they want to spend the money to actually ADD something! Complain when they cut the funds so they can't plus an attraction, or under-budget so they do a poor job of it. But this addition to Pirates sounds great to me!

Legacy

I would love to see them do a mini-stunt show Pirates Plaza of AdventureLand with Sparrow, (Orlando Bloom's character), and Elizabeth with some of the pirates. Running along the roof-tops, sword-fights, etc. That would be such a crowd-pleaser, and really pull people into that section of the park. Maybe they could just build a small stage for them to perform on? Would it be more expensive? Most likely, but not much more. And I think THAT would impress the guests more than an animatronic would.

dxwwf3

I don't really have a problem with it. At least they aren't chaning the whole thing to cash in on a particular character (And I wouldn't know anything about that would I? :animwink: ).

I think it would be pretty neat to see him at the end. And the best thing about seeing him at the end is that you will probably get to hear his whole spiel since there is always a big backup, log jam at the unloading spot when it is running at full capacity.

It seems the days of walking on POTC with no wait whenever you wanted might soon be gone.

ScrapIron

In 1955, Walt Disney, a filmaker and storyteller, opened Disneyland in California, a place based mainly on ideas expressed in his films.

Jungle Cruise: True Life Adventures
Frontierland: Davy Crocket and Daniel Boone
Sleeping Beauty's Castle: A movie that hadn't even been released yet.

And then there were/are the attractions in the MK parks where the link is obvious:
Peter Pan
Snow White
Mr. Toad
Mad Tea Party and Alice in Wonderland
Pinnochio
Winnie the Pooh
Tom Sawyer's Island
Splash Mtn
The Matterhorn
Swiss Family/Tarzan Treehouse
Indiana Jones Adventure
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Buzz Lightyear
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Dumbo
King Arthur's Carousel
StorybookLand/Casey Jr. Circus Train

The MK parks are nothing if not tributes to and tie in with films. It started Day 1. It cracks me up to see people act like this is a recent idea foisted upon the public by some pinhead Harvard MBA. Seriously, when you do this, you're only making yourself look foolish.

Cheers.

Lee

Adventurer
Me?
I like it.
WDWs Pirates is so weak in comparison to DL's and DLP's ...any addition like this can only help.

Purist?
No sir...not me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The money would be better spent on figuring out how to alter the ending to utilise the upramp for the boats with guests still onbaord, and unloading either at the top or at load. Something that will really change and improve the rides ending. Even if the AA is an A-100 I couldn`t care less. Having said that, if they do put an all singing all dancing Sparrow figure in, the rest of the 1973 technology will really show its age, maybe forcing a PotC refurb worthy of the ride. Try the Paris version and see what I mean.

CoffeeJedi

well, it is nice to have an attraction "plussed" as Walt used to call it, the Leota tombstone was really the last time this happened (of course, that was loosely tied to a movie as well). I agree with some of the other posters, this IS the kind of thing that Walt would have actually done.
I've always felt that WDW's pirates felt like an incomplete story, we see some skeletons, the pirates attack a town... and...... well, that's it. the Disneyland version has that nice resolution (the pirates fighting amongst each other causes an explosion that caves in the cave around them, trapping them there forever where we see their skeletons at the beginning) Maybe WDW can get some sort of finale now.
adding a Depp animatronic doesn't take anything AWAY from pirates (well, that remains to be seen), but as long as the rest of the ride stays the same, i'll be fine with Cap'n Jack. Besides, with the way the company's been making attractions lately, I'm happy that we get a brand new animatronic instead of just Johnny Depp on a video screen! (AA's good! live actors on a screen bad!)

FigmentJedi

It's just a new animatronic, why get so worked up?It's not like there going to completely stuff the ride with Captain Jack like what they did at Post-1998 Imagination by cramming Figment all over and putting a sticker on it saying "It's Better!" Granted, a lot of Figment isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they needed to think it out more and make the ride a little longer and not make Figment look obnoxious. What we need for JII to be better is to completely overhall the pavillion and get rid of the institute theme and bring back Dreamfinder old Image Works and have not one, but TWO advanced dark rides: A Buzz Lightyear/Spiderman hybrid where you hunt down some nightmares running amok in the Dreamport and the other using Pooh's Hunny Hunt technology, that being a reworking of the original with the old themes of Art, Literature, Science and Theater brought back, though completely redone scene wise.
Sorry to ramble off topic but don't take the addition of Captain Jack as a bad thing. Besides, it would set WDW's apart from Disneyland's as itt would give WDW's version something unique and it would cease to be the Cliff's Notes version of the original Disneyland version.

slappy magoo

My major beef with PotC is how they muted the sound to the point that the cannons sound like Daisy Air Rifles (PSH-ssshhhht doesn't have quite the "Cool" factor as BOOM!!!, IMHO). As far as adding Jack Sparrow, I don't see it as being necessary, but whenever Disney modernizes something (or as they foolishly like to think of it "making it better") I remember that Walt himself originally intended to have Fantasia be revised and adapted every couple of years. The fact that it never happened in his lifetime doesn't take away from the fact that he recognized change as being inevitable. The rides, even the oldest ones, even the best ones, will invariably be changed to entice old-timers back to the park to see what's different, and to keep the ride (and the whole theme park) ahead of the competition. It's just that now, instead of making completely original changes, they have an outside blueprint-a successful movie. What's most important is to keep the tone, and that's where I fear they'll falter. Because the changes now seem less like a need to keep the ride contemporary, and more a shamelss cash-in on the film's popularity. It's like corpoate cannibalism-make a movie based on a ride, then change the ride to be more like the movie. Maybe one day Disney will pull a Lucas and revise movies based on rides to be even MORE like the rides...that they changed when the movie first came out. Which means they'll have to change the ride again. Hakuna mutata...

I know I'll be mad as Hell when they eventually change The Haunted Mansion to add elements from the movie, but if they make those changes seem natural to the ride's experience-so it doesn't just turn into "Movie! The Ride!"- I'll be less upset. But Disney is run by bean-counters first and dreamers second, has been for decades. I don't see their efforts as being successful by my standards. Here's hoping, for the company's sake, that the standards for most park visitors are significantly lower.

CoffeeJedi

slappy magoo said:
I know I'll be mad as Hell when they eventually change The Haunted Mansion to add elements from the movie, but if they make those changes seem natural to the ride's experience-so it doesn't just turn into "Movie! The Ride!"- I'll be less upset.
yeah, except that one of the movie's main elements (Leota) was already there from the beginning, so people won't be storming city hall asking about her. Also, I don't think that the HM mansion movie was really successfull enough to warrant them changing the attraction. :sohappy:
The moviegoing public's response to Eddie Murphy was "meh". PotC:tCotBP on the other hand was a huge hit, that's why they'll change it over Mansion

CTXRover

Its Jack Sparrow..not Johnny Depp they are adding

IF this story comes true, it should not be thought of as they are adding a Johnny Depp animatronic as so many are saying. The idea I get when I hear that is how Ellen is an animatronic at UOE at Epcot. Its Jack Sparrow, the character....perhaps now the most famous "Pirate of the Caribbean"...that they are adding. It also a NEW show element to Pirates that will not change the feel, concept or story of the original attraction, will be "relatively" inexpensive vs drastically altering load and unload stations, while also helping tie it into Disney's # 1 Live Action movie of all time (including their Touchstone division) and an incredibly popular film among the general public and Disney fanatics alike. The nostalgia factor of an attraction like this is HUGE and should be appreciated, but I really don't see how a Jack Sparrow animatronic will ruin the ride....how could it? They are plussing the attraction with this addition (if it happens), imho. Its not going to become "Jack Sparrow's wild adventures" or something...its still Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride we have all grown up with and loved, with an improvement to cater to the present and future desires/expectations.

diddy_mouse

i'll argue both sides of the issue...

to me, it might be interesting to Jack Sparrow some where descreetly in the ride. kinda like when you're going through, you might see him briefly and think: "wasn't that the guy in the movie?" for example if the AA was on one of the ships in the battle scene. but nothing blatant like: "Jack Sparrow's Pirates of the Caribbean!" :hammer:

the downside of having a Jack Sparrow AA would be that PotC would loose some of its nostalgia. here is a classic ride that many people go to because they know it hasn't changed and they look foward to it. a refurbishment of certain effects is needed (i.e. the cannons) but adding another AA just because of a movie tie-in might not work. i am curious as to how many people went on PotC after seeing "Black Peal" and were disappointed that it wasn't like the movie. :brick:

Sorcerer Mickey

"the downside of having a Jack Sparrow AA would be that PotC would loose some of its nostalgia."

Honestly people, get real. The AA will be placed at the end of the ride. The rest of the ride will remain exactly the same.

I'll crack up if I see people on my boat crying and whimpering because there's a Sparrow AA at the end. At least there's something to entertain us as we wait for the boats in front to unload. I'm getting tired of just watching the old man whistle to the dog over and over and over.

Also, someone said PoTC is enjoying a "15 minutes of fame".

Ha...Ha

$600+ million at the worldwide box office is not a session of "15 minutes of fame", that's a very large amount of money and more than what most movies have managed. PoTC is the 20th highest grossing movie of all time in America. The DVD went through $145 million the first DAY of release. Girls STILL talk about Orlando Bloom and Depp from the movie, almost two years after its release. Plus, the two follow up sequels are some of the most anticipated sequels yet. To call this "15 minutes of fame" must mean any movie that made less money than PoTC was pointless.

Get your facts straight, and don't get your panties in a bunch of a stupid animatronic.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't think it'll affect the ride, or nearly everyone's enjoyment of it, very much, if at all. I agree that the last scene (the treasure room) is somewhat 'goofed up'.

BTW, most of the rides mentioned... umm... previously (too lazy today to look it up) were created *after* the movie/show, not the other way around as is the case is with PotC.

Remember: The only thing that appears sacred these days at Disney is the dollar. For better or worse, if they can milk some cash out of something, they will. To me, this is the definition of short-term results over long-term planning. Good will is measured in dollars and cents.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
CoryMitchell said:
Hey Guys,
I know this sounds petty and obnoxious. But, from now on, if you could post a link to the article rather than the entire text on the boards. I'm the guy in charge of getting people to visit the site, and when you post Jim's entire article here, then no one actually goes over there to take a look at it. I just posted the story myself this morning. Do me a favor and at least make my work worth while. I may not write the stuff, but I do work hard to get it up and presentable.

Cory Mitchell
JHM Creative Director
cory@jimhillmedia.com

booo hooo

Empress Room

CoryMitchell said:
Hey Guys,
I know this sounds petty and obnoxious. But, from now on, if you could post a link to the article rather than the entire text on the boards. I'm the guy in charge of getting people to visit the site, and when you post Jim's entire article here, then no one actually goes over there to take a look at it. I just posted the story myself this morning. Do me a favor and at least make my work worth while. I may not write the stuff, but I do work hard to get it up and presentable.

Cory Mitchell
JHM Creative Director
cory@jimhillmedia.com

Please tell me that you weren't responsible for the content or presentation of the "Disney's Story of Menstruation" which also appears on JH's website this morning. Certainly Jim's got better things to write about...

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
here we go again............................ do i need to bring out the kicking shins thing again? i think corymitchell's shins are still bruised from last week. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom