POTC to get Jack Sparrow

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
NemoRocks said:
I welcome this addition with open arms. DL's version makes ours looks like Dino-Rama and any new things will be a great help. I actually am in favor of more movie additions....the ship after the falls could be redone to look like the Black Pearl and could feature AAs like Barbossa and his crew. And of course, there could always be Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner AAs around.

Hopefully this would also bring in a meet and greet with the movie characters....an Elizabeth Swann character would be an absolutely fantastic addition. :lol:
I wouldn’t mind seeing the ship change myself. Make it the Black Pearl put Barbosa and some of the other pirates on board. Stick an AA if Norington on the fort. And for god sake make the cannons sound like cannons!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
xfkirsten said:
The only thing that worries me is how many screaming fangirls I'm going to run into on that ride that I'm gonna want to drown. :lol:
I would be afraid….very afraid. I went as Captain Jack for Halloween and not to toot my own horn but the costume turned out real well. When I took my kids out trick or treating the teenage girls would not let up.

nibblesandbits

I think that the idea is really not so bad. Some people complained that POtC the movie isn't a classic, but when you look at how well it did in the movie theaters and on DVD putting Jack Sparrow into the ride really isn't a bad move. Plus, it's not like the ride is going to "focus" on Jack Sparrow, because let's face it, if they did that, that would be a nightmare and then a lot of people would be extremely upset. It's just going to be one little scene and one that apparently needs to be fixed anyway. That is not nearly so bad. Just be happy they didn't decide on a "Jack Sparrow Meet and Greet." Now there is a very bad idea. And with the way the company is going lately, I'm suprised they didn't do that. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than an AA. :hammer:

On another note, doesn't this mean (and I think the Jim Hill pointed this out in the article) that Pirates gets a rehab. The much needed rehab that everyone has been saying needs to be done. So, all in all, this whole thing isn't such a bad idea after all.

CTXRover

DizkneeBoi said:
Oh gosh what's next Eddie Murphy in the Haunted Mansion or the Country Bears from the flop movie replacing the original Bear AA's?

No, Pirates of the Caribbean movie was a HUGE hit, grossing over 305 million domestically and becoming Disney's highest grossing Live action movie of all-time (any division of Buena Vista distribution). If anything, the movie garnered new interest and excitment for an attraction that has been around for a very long time. HM and the terrible Country Bears movie were not nearly as well-received and did little to garner new interest in their respective attractions or create any memorable characters. Pirates, the movie, was a global smash among the general public, while also garnering several Oscar nominations from the Academy Awards (unfortunately not winning any though). Its my understanding it would just be ONE new animatronic at the end. They can also add some other little things, like name the big ship the Black Pearl and I'd be for it. I'd only be angry if they tried to re-do Pirates the ride around Jack Sparrow (as in have it that you are following him or something). That would change the ride for the worse. This little addition is not. Afterall, Pirates the movie did a phenomenal job of capturing the essence and feeling of the ride, so there should be no need to change it to REFLECT the movie other than this one little addition. The WDW Pirate ending is actually kind of lackluster right now. I noticed it the most since SGE opened and we got talking about how it had the worst ending of any ride and how the Imagineers of "new" don't know how to tell a story. Really, Pirates at WDW has no ending right now and it was built over 30 years ago, but it never really bothered me until I thought about it.

Figment1986

I welcome.. the "one" new AA... I even thought it would be nice to have "one" new AA in it representing him in the attraction.... that way you cant say it isn't like the movie... (and putting him in prision would be nice too..)

SirGoofy

I think this is a good idea. Pirates needs a little upgrade, and it's not like the whole ride is going to be full of Cap'n Sparrow. It could only help the ending, which is in despreate need of help.

Legacy

So if the financial success of a movie means if it's going to be a "classic" or not... is Shrek classic?

Like I said, I like the idea itself. But to be honest I think they should either do a full Black Pearl refurb or leave the attraction as is. Just adding the Jack Sparrow animatronic feels more like Disney is succumbing to demand rather than being imaginative.

DizkneeBoi

Account Suspended
Legacy said:
So if the financial success of a movie means if it's going to be a "classic" or not... is Shrek classic?

Like I said, I like the idea itself. But to be honest I think they should either do a full Black Pearl refurb or leave the attraction as is. Just adding the Jack Sparrow animatronic feels more like Disney is succumbing to demand rather than being imaginative.
I definately think Shrek will become a classic. Just because it wasn't made by Disney doesn't mean that it isn't good.

xfkirsten

General Grizz said:
I can just envision the movie score being played in the last scene.

:lookaroun

Stage show ... Stage show ... Stage show!

Actually, I've always thought it would make a cool replacement for the craptacular Pocahontas part of Fantasmic. :lol: Like Disneyland's Peter Pan segment, only different. Not gonna happen, though. *goes back to dreaming* :lol:

Legacy

DizkneeBoi said:
I definately think Shrek will become a classic. Just because it wasn't made by Disney doesn't mean that it isn't good.
I'm not saying that it isn't good, I have just noticed that some members of these forums think that Shrek is a faddish property. Just wanted to see what they thought.

nibblesandbits

Legacy said:
I'm not saying that it isn't good, I have just noticed that some members of these forums think that Shrek is a faddish property. Just wanted to see what they thought.

The thing is, we can't predict what movies are going to become classics. It all depends on the future. So I don't think it's fair to say that any movie isn't a classic yet, simply because we don't know if it will be or not.

jrashadb

xfkirsten said:
Actually, I've always thought it would make a cool replacement for the craptacular Pocahontas part of Fantasmic. :lol: Like Disneyland's Peter Pan segment, only different. Not gonna happen, though. *goes back to dreaming* :lol:

See, now that's a great idea. I want to go to DL just to see the Peter Pan part of Fantasmic.

But, yeah... a stage show might be OK. It'as just that... well... who's going to play Cpt. Jack better than Depp did? Wasn't he the main reason why a lot of people really loved that movie? So, if you bring in some guy who plays it half-assed (not to say thet the Disney perforjmers couldn't pull off a good version, just not as good as Johnny's) then doesn't that take away from the experience?

Get the AA in the ride. and, as I said before, maybe a few more. I love Pirates, but it could use some sprucing up and, done properly, adding a little of the movie would be just the pick-me-up that attraction needs...

I'm just worried that they'll find a way to screw it up... which is entirely possible. History tells us when attempts are made to "spruce up" attractions, disaster usually follows. Oh well.

cherrynegra said:
"Why then?," you query. Remember how "The Curse of the Black Pearl" 's world premiere was actually held at Disneyland? With a giant screen set up right in the middle of the Rivers of America and the film's after-party being held in New Orleans Square? Well, the publicity staff at Walt Disney Pictures is now giving some semi-serious thought to staging a similiar sized event for the world premiere of "Pirates 2." Only this time around, the premiere and the after-party would be held in Orlando inside the Magic Kingdom.Sounds like a pretty amazing event, doesn't it? Well -- just so you know -- staging the world premiere of "Pirates II" at WDW's Magic Kingdom is NOT a done deal. This idea is still very much in just the talking-about-it phase. No definitive plans have been made at this time.

I am SO there!

I'll have my license for about 9 months when the movie comes out, that totally merits a road trip to disney with the bests.

Great. Now Im really anticipating it. This better happen or Im flying to Cali.

CTXRover

Legacy said:

This is actually a good point concerning the longetivity possibilites of Jack Sparrow. However, its just one new animatronic on a character that I imagine is memorable enough that it will remain in people's minds for a good 15-20+ years. If done right, it shouldn't matter in the future if you recognize him or not...it will just be another Pirate in the ride by that point, but at this point it will be a recognizable character for the new generation of Disney fans who perhaps saw the movie before the ride that inspired it and re-energized excitement for.

Jacks Sally

I think...just one new AA wouldnt be bad
I just love POTC the way it is

Master Yoda said:
I would be afraid….very afraid. I went as Captain Jack for Halloween and not to toot my own horn but the costume turned out real well. When I took my kids out trick or treating the teenage girls would not let up.

:lol: the grls went crazy huh

When I was at a Lord of the Rings convention
they had a Jack Sparrow there ...Why??
you got me but the ladies went crazy so I
know what you mean Master Yoda

Here's me and Cap'n Sparrow
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/RBsGB/Picture_035.jpg

Legacy

CTXRover said:
This is actually a good point concerning the longetivity possibilites of Jack Sparrow. However, its just one new animatronic on a character that I imagine is memorable enough that it will remain in people's minds for a good 15-20+ years. If done right, it shouldn't matter in the future if you recognize him or not...it will just be another Pirate in the ride by that point, but at this point it will be a recognizable character for the new generation of Disney fans who perhaps saw the movie before the ride that inspired it and re-energized excitement for.
But see? They could simply redo the entire attraction in a Black Pearl vibe, and 20-30 years from now it will be the same attraction. That's why I think they should either take out all the stops or simply not do it. I don't see why they should put in the money to redesign, build and modify one animatronic and showroom when they could re-imagine the entire attraction and create something that would leave everybody in awe. Use Barbossa, and Will, and Norrington and Elizabeth; the crowds would LOVE to see everybody along with Jack. Then as time goes by and the individual characters are forgotten the attraction will still be impressive because of the concept of dead pirates, ghost ships and sword fights.

Considering most people here seem in favor of a full redevelopment, I think that they should go all the way. Adding one animatronic for the sake of the masses seems like a cheap way out. That's what I want. Either go all out or don't do it at all. That's why Splash and WDW's Tower of Terror are so impressive. They went all out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom