PotC Hidden Skull?

Castle Cake Apologist

YOU: *timidly thanks his master for dropping some crumbs onto the floor for him to eat*
ME: eh, the crumbs were okay, I guess

Lol you must not know @HMF very well... he's pretty hard to please when it comes to WDW (and rightfully so in many cases, honestly.)

I do have to agree that this new skull just looks... off. The more I look at it, the less I like it. It does look super cartoony and garish and I don't think it fits the overall aesthetic of the attraction very well. @HMF, I'm honestly surprised that you like it, all things considered.

Bocabear

Personally, I think the skull looks great...And I would consider myself a Disney Purist...it replaces something that was removed years ago, they integrated the photo flash into the soundtrack and setting very well...It wasn't a poorly designed or planned addition... so that is fine, and let's face it, any enhancement to the caverns scene is a plus... We have the Cliff Notes version of Pirates as it is... If adding the photo gives them reason to enhance the ride's Act One, then I say, by all means...

BlindChow

You know people from the company read this board and they probably laugh at us complaining about the skull.
Who cares?

If we have an opinion about something Disney's done, we express it here. The idea that we should conceal our true opinion about certain things in deference to Disney (as HMF's comment implied) is ridiculous.

They didn't bring back the skull out of the kindness of their hearts. They needed it to sell on-ride photos. Just because it could have been worse, doesn't mean we're not allowed to suggest how it could have been better.

Kman101

Who cares?

If we have an opinion about something Disney's done, we express it here. The idea that we should conceal our true opinion about certain things in deference to Disney (as HMF's comment implied) is ridiculous.

They didn't bring back the skull out of the kindness of their hearts. They needed it to sell on-ride photos. Just because it could have been worse, doesn't mean we're not allowed to suggest how it could have been better.

I never said any of that.

I'm one of the first to tell someone to express their opinion. Complain away. You do you.

How could they have made it better then? Why is this one bad just because it was "brought back to sell photos"? I personally don't care that it was. You do and that's fine. But it often comes off as complaining to complain, but if someone says "they could have made it more realistic by doing so and so" or given examples on how to make it better, I agree that's not just complaining. That doesn't mean I think someone should conceal how they feel. I never said that. I have my opinion on things and you have yours. We all have them and are free to express them.

You implied HMF was accepting "crumbs" but why does it matter if we like the skull and don't care why it was brought back? Just like you not liking it, the rest have every right to like it. I've acknowledged why they brought it back and wished it wasn't for that reason.

Last edited:

the-reason14

I'm sorry, but MK's Pirates of the Caribbean, skull or no skull, needs a major overhaul and expansion to include the missing scenes Disneyland has. DL's is the vastly superior experience. It's actually shocking how much the shorter version in WDW plays out so ineffectively compared to the original - but hey, the return of the skull (albeit with a goofy sounding voice) IS a step in the right direction!

While I find it hard to believe that anyone will disagree with you, I think that the cliff notes version of Potc at MK is just fine. It wouldn't hurt them to add more detail if space allows, but I feel like even though the MK version is technically the "worse" when it comes to ride time and overall experience compared to the others, it still highlights the "meat" of the experience.

Even though the audio for this skull leaves much to be desired, I consider this an improvement. When I saw they were adding photos to the ride, I immediately rolled my eyes just thinking it unnecessary, and it is, but if what we got to get that is the skull then good job. Out of all the Pirates I've been on, I still think the one in Disneyland is the best!! Paris was nice too, but I still prefer Disneyland because it is the original.

Disone

WDW Forums:
"We want the Talking Skull back!"
[Disney gives Talking Skull back]
"Booo! Looks like a cartoon!"

This is why I never come here anymore
I do agree it looks cartoonish. It looks like the animated skull DCL uses on its giant screen during the build up to pirate night. That said, i would rather have it then not. So kudos for bringing it back. I would prefer it to look as real as all the other skeletons around, I get that talking skulls are not real, but either are mermaid skeletons and those look very real.

Kman101

How many here have seen it in person? Just wondering. Maybe it won't look so bad to some when you see it on the ride. Or it could look worse. I'm curious to see it in person myself. My opinion very well could change.

Jones14

Black light is effective at keeping a lid on light bleed. Perhaps it was chosen to minimize the effect on the shipwreck scene right in front of it?

I don't mind the cartoonish look of the skull. The Pirates look cartoonish, so to me it's right in line.

Sidenote: having a flash that disorients you right before the drop is something I find really cool, and I like that they paired it with some thunder.

HMF

Lol you must not know @HMF very well... he's pretty hard to please when it comes to WDW (and rightfully so in many cases, honestly.)

I do have to agree that this new skull just looks... off. The more I look at it, the less I like it. It does look super cartoony and garish and I don't think it fits the overall aesthetic of the attraction very well. @HMF, I'm honestly surprised that you like it, all things considered.
5031247_clean_14x17.jpg

tumblr_mrjdr2iZ5c1sfynkxo4_1280.jpg
PIRATES-29.jpg

FA_image_00050186.jpg

NewPiratez%235C.jpg

4298de2825b1d65fb2b86b2f36458fd4.jpg
133158162_3685029011_m.jpg

These don't look cartoony at all, do they?
As for the sculptures Blaine did for the ride.
blainegibson4.jpgoriginal.jpeg

Finally, the other original 1973 element that everyone wants back's realism is astounding.

Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Parrot.jpg

BlindChow

You implied HMF was accepting "crumbs" but why does it matter if we like the skull and don't care why it was brought back?
Seriously? You didn't even read the post I was responding to, did you?

HMF wasn't simply stating that he liked the skull.

He specifically responded to my criticism by saying it could have been worse, and that I should "pick my battles."

He was telling me I shouldn't post a negative opinion of the skull.

HE'S the one you should be lecturing that it's okay to have a different opinion, not me. But then, he agreed with you, so why would you? :rolleyes:

HMF

Seriously? You didn't even read the post I was responding to, did you?

HMF wasn't simply stating that he liked the skull.

He specifically responded to my criticism by saying it could have been worse, and that I should "pick my battles."

He was telling me I shouldn't post a negative opinion of the skull.

HE'S the one you should be lecturing that it's okay to have a different opinion, not me. But then, he agreed with you, so why would you? :rolleyes:
I am just looking at this from the perspective of someone at WDI who have likely been getting a lot of pressure both from Execs and fans. Seriously, have you been reading my criticisms of Joe Rohde recently? I do feel we need to have a more balanced view of things if we want the people who make these decisions take us more seriously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom