Post your Toy Story Mania preview ride reports here

tirian

Going under Andy's bed to play games IS the story. It doesn't need to be any bigger than that.

What can I say that hasn't been said? The theming is great; the ride itself is a glorified arcade game (not a complaint, just an observation); and it breathes new life into a forgotten corner of DHS. TSM is lots of fun, and I'm excited to see WDI put so much money into a very good D-ticket. This bodes well for future DHS expansion.

Oh, and I'm glad to see that WDW now has six "clones" that are significantly superior to their West Coast cousins (ToT, HM, Splash MT, Pooh, Soarin, and TSM). ;)

EDIT: Let the search for Hidden Mickeys begin!

tirian

I actually don't like this. I can't stand spinning as it makes me very sick. I really wish the designers would put in an option to allow the guest riding to choose whether or not they want to spin. I can't even hardly ride the Cat in the Hat ride at Universal because of the spinning, I hope this isn't the same way.

It's not nearly that bad.

hazelrah

My favorite quote...ever.

"We don't really have a story, with a beginning, an end, or a plot. It's a more a series of experiences building up to a climax. I call them experience rides."
-Marc Davis, 1969

That's a great quote. Marc said it better than I possibly could. This is what I meant when I said I wasn't referring to plot. TSM has no set of experiences building up to a climax. It is the same experience 5 times in a row. There is no progression, no conflict. It is just a sequence of midway games, no different from an actual midway, other than that the technology is way cool.

Wow, that's just grossly inappropriate. I respect your opinon, but it's a little mean to say that anyone who likes it, likes it out of ignorance.

:brick:

I think you're a little too defensive. The word "ignorance" is not an automatic insult. It just means lack of knowledge. For instance, a lack of knowledge of how Disney rides should be a series of experiences leading up to a climax. There's no shame in being ignorant of that. Who but hardcore fans like us gives a flip about whether a theme park ride progresses to a climax?

EpcotServo

That's a great quote. Marc said it better than I possibly could. This is what I meant when I said I wasn't referring to plot. TSM has no set of experiences building up to a climax. It is the same experience 5 times in a row. There is no progression, no conflict. It is just a sequence of midway games, no different from an actual midway, other than that the technology is way cool.

I think you're a little too defensive. The word "ignorance" is not an automatic insult. It just means lack of knowledge. For instance, a lack of knowledge of how Disney rides should be a series of experiences leading up to a climax. There's no shame in being ignorant of that. Who but hardcore fans like us gives a flip about whether a theme park ride progresses to a climax?

Well I guess it's how you see a climax. I thought the "Moving while shooting and BonusPoint round" is the most thrilling part of the ride, and I consider that the big grand finale. Yea, it's no burning town from Pirates, but really I think the same could be said of Haunted Mansion's graveyard. I'd say it's on par with the ballroom, so really it doesn't "top" any of the other scenes.

And even with that add-on to what you meant by "ignorance" is still a little insulting. I know that Disney rides should be a series of experiences (I quoted it, so I DID know!) and I still think that Midway Mania fits that. I'm just saying that fans like me (and you) will see it as being much better than you think, and not because we have a lack of knowledge in regards to Imagineering.

I'm not really bashing what you think, it's fine if it's not your favorite, just a friendly debate of ideas.
:wave:

pheneix

My favorite quote...ever.

"We don't really have a story, with a beginning, an end, or a plot. It's a more a series of experiences building up to a climax. I call them experience rides."
-Marc Davis, 1969

Wow, that's just grossly inappropriate. I respect your opinon, but it's a little mean to say that anyone who likes it, likes it out of ignorance.

:brick:

TSM does not build up to anything. The bonus round comes out of nowhere and that is the end of the ride. This ride really doesn't have much of a story and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. This ride doesn't have show scenes of any kind. It is just one big games floor and when you're zooming around you see everyone else playing their games.

That being said, this ride is a lot of fun. The games floor aspect makes for a really high energy environment and it is a blast to play. It is what it is and it is a great addition to the park.

Disney's hype is going to hurt this ride over the short run though. A crap hourly capacity combined with Fastpass and E-ticket advertising is going to lead to outrageous waits for a ride that does not deserve it. This ride could have been a major E-ticket and with Simpsons opening up down the street it probably should have been. I bet the feedback on the ride will be a little handicapped with the two hour waits this ride will get. It is still a great attraction though. I hope I get to see it again before the general public storms it.

RSoxNo1

TSM does not build up to anything. The bonus round comes out of nowhere and that is the end of the ride. This ride really doesn't have much of a story and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. This ride doesn't have show scenes of any kind. It is just one big games floor and when you're zooming around you see everyone else playing their games.

That being said, this ride is a lot of fun. The games floor aspect makes for a really high energy environment and it is a blast to play. It is what it is and it is a great addition to the park.

Disney's hype is going to hurt this ride over the short run though. A crap hourly capacity combined with Fastpass and E-ticket advertising is going to lead to outrageous waits for a ride that does not deserve it. This ride could have been a major E-ticket and with Simpsons opening up down the street it probably should have been. I bet the feedback on the ride will be a little handicapped with the two hour waits this ride will get. It is still a great attraction though. I hope I get to see it again before the general public storms it.

Do you have any idea what the hourly capacity is for this ride?

What have the waits been like?

EpcotServo

Do you have any idea what the hourly capacity is for this ride?

What have the waits been like?

The indoor queue holds an hour of line, and with most of that full yesterday we never waited that much. It was mostly 30 to 40 minutes. (The 40 Minute time was because one side of the ride was being checked out)

It moved quite fast, but I'm sure it will slow down when Fastpass starts. (here's hoping that Passholder previews will not be using Fastpass but WILL let Single Riders be open!)

benji

Can anyone tell me if they have a seat for over weight people? The lap bars on dark rides can be small. Another web site had a picture of a seat that was different than the others. Maybe it was for hadicap. :veryconfu

ptaylor

Premium Member
Busy day during the previews today. Wait time was between 60 and 70 minutes for most of the day.

The audio was louder in the wait area which is good, everything was much clearer today. It appeared the attraction was running at full capacity, all tracks seemed to be in operation.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Anyone have opinopns on whether this is kid friendly or not? Mine are 5 & 7

MASSIVELY kid friendly! No height requirement at this point. Kids are just going to have a blast on this. It really is something for the entire family, no matter what age.

coilback

Okay, so I did the cast preview today. I was pretty "eh" about seeing it, but I was mildly impressed. The person that said, it's pretty much the DisneyQuest Pirates of the Carribean game is pretty close to being right when it comes to playability (except you get to wear normal Philharmagic glasses instead of those big bulky things) and look. It is quite fun and I can see a lot of people replaying it. The look of the place is very impressive. It would be cool if they could add a second attraction of some sort to Pixar Place so it would be more of a "land" so to speak rather than just a place for TSM. Either way, I think the bulk of people will enjoy it quite a bit, especially little kids. As the girl who rode next to me said, "It's like you were shrunk down and you are IN the video game."

Can anyone tell me if they have a seat for over weight people? The lap bars on dark rides can be small. Another web site had a picture of a seat that was different than the others. Maybe it was for hadicap. :veryconfu

I'm tall (would also say on the bigger side) and had no problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom