Post your Toy Story Mania preview ride reports here

tirian

TSM does not build up to anything. The bonus round comes out of nowhere and that is the end of the ride. This ride really doesn't have much of a story and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. This ride doesn't have show scenes of any kind. It is just one big games floor and when you're zooming around you see everyone else playing their games.

That being said, this ride is a lot of fun. The games floor aspect makes for a really high energy environment and it is a blast to play. It is what it is and it is a great addition to the park.

Disney's hype is going to hurt this ride over the short run though. A crap hourly capacity combined with Fastpass and E-ticket advertising is going to lead to outrageous waits for a ride that does not deserve it. This ride could have been a major E-ticket and with Simpsons opening up down the street it probably should have been. I bet the feedback on the ride will be a little handicapped with the two hour waits this ride will get. It is still a great attraction though. I hope I get to see it again before the general public storms it.

Yes, it's only a D-ticket, but it's a very good one; and this helps round out the Studios' attraction roster.

scpergj

Ok...

We're going to be there next week for the AP previews, and we're bringing my mom (also an AP), so there will be five of us. Is there any provision for a family of 5 to each have a shooter? I know each "car" holds eight people, two to a bench, back to back, so, do you think 5 sould be a problem?

BTW, all of these reviews are very educational. Keep up the good work...and keep the reviews coming!

EpcotServo

Ok...

We're going to be there next week for the AP previews, and we're bringing my mom (also an AP), so there will be five of us. Is there any provision for a family of 5 to each have a shooter? I know each "car" holds eight people, two to a bench, back to back, so, do you think 5 sould be a problem?

BTW, all of these reviews are very educational. Keep up the good work...and keep the reviews coming!

Each train is made up of two four seater cars. So it'll be something like this...

ROW 1: You-Person 2

ROW 2: Person 3-Person 4

-gap in cars-

ROW 3: Single Rider-Person 5

No problem!
:wave:

WDW Monorail

"That's just the WDW version"

"Wait till you ride the 'real' version"

"Ours is better because John Lasseter was involved"

And Jose (the cameraman) states that the ride is not much different than what is seen on the video.

EpcotServo

"That's just the WDW version"

"Wait till you ride the 'real' version"

"Ours is better because John Lasseter was involved"

And Jose (the cameraman) states that the ride is not much different than what is seen on the video.

It's not even close! On the ride it doesn't look blurry, shaky, dark, and there's no huge refresh bar going up and down!
:dazzle:

It looks WAYYYYYY better in real life.

Who are those quotes from? I don't see how it can get any better...I heard that past the "Midway Box" gateway, the rides are both nearly identical.

Jose Eber

I've said any video can't capture it! My word. Did any of us take the Everest videos to heart? What about my videos of Spaceship Earth Redux?

You can't compare, its stupid.

Oh, and this whole John Lasseter wasn't involved in our version? What kind of uninformed person made that comment! (I know, it was on Micechat too).

John was here a few weeks ago. Same ride, same involvement.

Durrrrr!

Don't forget, no onride videos on wdwmagic ever! They are pointless! Don't bother shooting them!

:drevil:

RSoxNo1

Yesterday they were also pulsing the ride..I'm not sure if that will be a normal thing or just to help with adjustments made every now and again.

What do you mean by pulsing the ride? Do you mean plussing the ride?

A 60-70 minute wait for what amounts to be the first full day of operation is a pretty good sign. I imagine the ride will hold a typical wait of 1/2 an hour or so. Even still, can someone figure out the capacity? It's 8 people per 2 car dispatch, so if someone can time the average time between dispatch we'll be able to determine the max capacity.

hazelrah

I think after paying $60.00 to get in and waiting 2 hours in line all theme park guests expect a climax.

I think they <b>should</b> expect that. But the reality is that people are no longer being conditioned to have these expectations. You have a whole generation that has grown up on things like Test Track, Rock-n-rollercoaster, Wands and Hats, Bibbity Bobbity Boutiques, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, etc.

That's why you see people satisfied when they are given a ride like TSM, which is sorta fun, but not fantastically so, and certainly not in the rich Disney tradition of "experience rides". They have been given no reason to expect anything better.

dazzer68

hmmm seen a video on youtube (yes i know its not the same) but it doenst look very exciting, whats the point of sitting in the car ,other than they can control crowds and how long you are in there? you may as just well just walk round pick up a gun and shoot, its flat all one level all open so you can even see whats coming up, and what every one else is doing, needs some proper solid 3d characters in there, and i think the queue area should have been 'andys room'. looks like a spare attraction from disneyquest! expected more from a pixar thing
the buzz ride looks so much better,
ps can any one point out where pixar studios is in the park? poss on a map?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
hmmm seen a video on youtube (yes i know its not the same) but it doenst look very exciting, whats the point of sitting in the car ,other than they can control crowds and how long you are in there? you may as just well just walk round pick up a gun and shoot, its flat all one level all open so you can even see whats coming up, and what every one else is doing, needs some proper solid 3d characters in there, and i think the queue area should have been 'andys room'. looks like a spare attraction from disneyquest! expected more from a pixar thing
the buzz ride looks so much better,
ps can any one point out where pixar studios is in the park? poss on a map?

Dont judge a 3d game via a lousy on ride video. TSM is about PLAYING the game, it is not about watching it on a postage stamp size internet video.

kap91

Even still, can someone figure out the capacity?

Sure, I can try. They load 16 people at once (2 people per bench, 4 benches per car, 2 cars loading at the same time.) When I was there they were loading new people in about every 30 to 45 seconds. So thats about 24-32 people per minute so that's 1440-1920 people per hour. Averaged out thats about 1680 people per hour. That's not too bad in my opinion although there are many rides with higher capacities.

To give a comparison, using the similar calculations Soarin ends up being 1408 and Mission: Space ends up at 1920

So TSM seems to be right in the middle. Keep in mind the calculations for Soarin and Mission: Space don't include the amount of time spent loading but the ones for TSM do. Please, if you see any other errors with my logic don't hesitate to tell me. Thanks,

Gorjus

News Flash: Wait times!

News Flash: Wait times!

Today the park seemed full with mostly cast members their for the preview. Lots of princesses were there incognito. I saw Ariel (twice), Aurora, Belle, and others.

Unfortunately, the ride went down for an extened period of time. And when it went back up, many hours later, the wait times were 120 minutes and 90 minutes for single riders.

Now it was a Sunday and lots of non-front line cast members have Sundays off. Also, it was the last day of the preview, so the crowds may have been bigger.

However, I'm thinking this translates into serious wait times for the ride, much like Soarin'. Now other rides seem to mellow out their wait times later, but Soarin' never does.

How do you think this will translate after say, 6 months of the ride being open?

BTW, as much as I LOVED Toy Story Mania, NO RIDE at WDW is worth a 2 hour wait.

EpcotServo

I made an unplanned stop by with some family, and the wait was around an hour (Extended outdoor queue in use)

It was really about 50 minutes.

Still great though!
:D

tirian

I think they <b>should</b> expect that. But the reality is that people are no longer being conditioned to have these expectations. You have a whole generation that has grown up on things like Test Track, Rock-n-rollercoaster, Wands and Hats, Bibbity Bobbity Boutiques, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, etc.

That's why you see people satisfied when they are given a ride like TSM, which is sorta fun, but not fantastically so, and certainly not in the rich Disney tradition of "experience rides". They have been given no reason to expect anything better.

I understand your opinion, but please remember that this is a D-ticket attraction, not an E-ticket, HM-level show-stopper. And as a fun ride through a virtual shooting gallery, TSM succeeds. :) Don't knock it 'til you try it!

hazelrah

I understand your opinion, but please remember that this is a D-ticket attraction, not an E-ticket, HM-level show-stopper. And as a fun ride through a virtual shooting gallery, TSM succeeds. :) Don't knock it 'til you try it!

I have tried it (twice yesterday) -- and truthfully, so has anybody who has played PotC at DQ. And your description is spot on: A ride-thru virtual shooting gallery.

That is NOT D-ticket level. Remember that when Disneyland opened, D-ticket was as high as at went. Throughout the years, things like Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad, Storybookland Canal Boats, the Rainbow Ridge Mine Train, the Mark Twain, and the Jungle Cruise were all classified D-ticket. The Shooting Galleries are somewhere around B-ticket level. But this is a heckuva lot of money and space to chew up for a B-ticket.

Honestly, it's not that TSM is horrible, it's just that aside from a high-technology factor and a decent queue, it lacks the emersion / storytelling / theming / environment / magic of classic Disney attractions like Peter Pan, It's A Small World, Jungle Cruise, etc. Even newer rides like The Seas with Nemo and Friends are head and shoulders above TSM in this regard. It didn't have to be like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom