Post your Toy Story Mania preview ride reports here

Jose Eber

Granted, this is a fanboy site, so of course your emails are going to be gushing. The average attendee isn't going to email you.

Talk to cast who have ridden it. Not always positive. Yes, they like it, its better than buzz by a 100 times, but it is like a video game.

Again, re-rideability for this attraction is for competitive people. But competitive people are in the minority. Not everyone wants to 'beat their score'.

Nerds do. Disney nerds especially do. But this isn't everyone. Not by a long shot.

lpet11984

I'm still in awe at how detailed this attraction looks from the pictures...the scrabble board on the cieling, the giant wall socket with the lights plugged in, all the detailing on the outside (even if they might have use one too many barrels of monkeys...) What an immersing environment! I totally get that I'm supposed to be shrunk down to toy size! Sweet!

Thanks for posting the pictures, Steve!

ptaylor

Premium Member
Just got back from the previews, TSM is a wonderful addition to the studios. WDI have got this just right. Whole family fun everyone can ride and have fun. Its awesome. You'll have so much fun trying to beat your scores, and its different everytime.
The studios is going to get a while new lease of life from this one.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Just had word from a non CM guest that had the chance to ride today. Guess cast volume was not excessive, so allowing for some general soft opening admission as well.

Skyway

Jose--

You say that "Disney nerds" will find it re-ridable, but casual visitors won't? That doesn't make sense.

Casual visitors don't care about re-ridability. They're lucky if they can see everything ONCE during a WDW visit. I can't imagine TSM would not be worth a second or third look during a weeklong vacation, or once every 2 or 3 years.

Dumbo is certainly not re-ridable, and yet (even with capacity issues aside) it's been one of the most popular Disney attractions for 53 years. I'm guessing most people riding Dumbo are not annual-passholding-Disney-freaks. They're the casual visitors.

And yet those who go to the parks monthly (or even more frequent!) will find TSM more re-ridable??? I understand what you're saying about some of the mega-competitve visitors (who've probably been standing outside that building since the "Who Wants to be a Millionare" closure forced them to do something else with their lives) But if its good enough for them, why isn't it good enough for the twice-in-a-lifetime guest??

Jose Eber

Jose--But if its good enough for them, why isn't it good enough for the twice-in-a-lifetime guest??

Here's how it was explained to me, see if this makes sense. It made sense to me when it was explained.

Entertainment is fundamentally a passive experience. From the greek theatre to movies today -- you sit down, in a chair and let the actors and set do the work for you while you laugh or cry or what have you. Comedians don't do shows where they involve the audience. They are up there (the good ones) analyzing life and making it sound funny.

So, my first point here is passivity is critical to an entertaining attraction.

Haunted mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, the classic Disney rides are all passive. There was no 'interactivity'. No real effort applied by the guest.

When Walt passed, a major shift occurred.

Now we have engineers, artists and the like (nerds) designing the rides in walt's absence.

"Well," you might object. "Who cares? Its just a different way of entertaining?"

We'd be wrong to think so. There is no entertainment in interactivity or experiences that frustrate us (games). Its short term, not enduring.

The best movies, the best stories are ones you can repeat and repeat. And let me tell you, Disney makes money on repeat business. BIG TIME. The best movies you can watch over and over (rent over and over) and the best entertaining rides you can ride over and over.

Make sense?

ptaylor

Premium Member
I couldnt detect any track change, it looked like only one route through, but i may be wrong. The main thing with the ride is the 3d action, the ride system isnt really the focus.

Elonwy

Sooo...at the end of the ride am I still the size of a toy? That could prove to be a problem when I head over to the ToT, I might fall out of the elevator :D

CrashNet

Its not to the level of Philharmagic, but very very good for a real-time video game. The way you can see your shots fly towards the target is awesome.
I'm going to be rediculously picky here...by not as good, are you refering to the detail of philharmagic or the quality of the 3D? What I'm curious of is the 3D quality in line or better than philharmagic?

Polyman

What Previews?

Here is a company email I received April 30.

SHARE WITH CAST: Magic Backstage Postponed

Due to continued efforts by Walt Disney Imagineering and Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ Project Team to ensure the best possible Guest experience, the Magic Backstage Preview of Toy Story Midway Mania! ™ - originally scheduled for May 1 - is postponed.

More information about upcoming Cast Previews will be shared soon. We are excited about this opening and look forward to making it available to our Cast Members and Guests in the near future.

:hammer::shrug:

peter11435

Here is a company email I received April 30.

SHARE WITH CAST: Magic Backstage Postponed

Due to continued efforts by Walt Disney Imagineering and Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ Project Team to ensure the best possible Guest experience, the Magic Backstage Preview of Toy Story Midway Mania! ™ - originally scheduled for May 1 - is postponed.

More information about upcoming Cast Previews will be shared soon. We are excited about this opening and look forward to making it available to our Cast Members and Guests in the near future.

:hammer::shrug:
Yes, the magic backstage event scheduled for Thursday May 1 was cancelled/postponed. However the all-cast preview scheduled for May 2-4 was left unchanged.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom