Possible trip in August Questions...

Wannabe Walt

I am hoping to be able to take my wonderful girlfriend to the most wonderful place on earth this August. However, I've never been in August (she's never been at all). Since it would just be me and her, we are on an extreme budget.

Two things I know for sure: trip must be min. of 6 days and we must stay at a Disney resort.

So here are my questions:
1. Should we stay at Pop Century or All-Star Music? I have always stayed at moderates, so I am somewhat concerned about the down-grading to a value. However, because of the tight budget, I'm not sure that we could stay at a moderate and still eat good! haha.

2. Because of school, we have to travel in August (because that Aug. includes value season). She starts school Aug. 18 and I start Aug. 25, so we have to go in early August. I was thinking something like August 7-13 (or somewhere around there). Does that sound okay? Is the weather miserable then? Tips? Anything???

Thanks in advance!!! :wave:

wdwmomof3

Hi! This sounds like a lot of fun, it will be very hot, but fun. As far as the resort goes, We have stayed at the value resorts and it was just as much fun as the mods. I have never stayed at Pop before but my sister and her family love it. We have stayed at Music and Sports, we likes Music much better. What ever you you decide, I am sure you will have a blast! :wave:

Upvote 0

stormer

I have never stayed at any resort, but have heard many people say they like Pop Century.

As for that week in Aug, it will still be busy, but as long as you plan ahead I am sure you will enjoy it. We usually go the last week in Aug. after many people have gone back to school. Yes, it is very HOT! Get to the parks early and then go back for an afternoon swinm to cool off. We like going to evening extar magic hours so we can stay late. The later it gets, the more people tend to leave so that can help also.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

We went around that week last year and had a wonderful time. It isn't the best time of the year to go weather wise but it is totally do-able. It isn't necessarily the best time to go crowd wise either, but it isn't terrible.

The best advice I can give is common sense stuff. Take a break in the afternoon. People say they don't need it, but I can guarantee your days will be more enjoyable when you aren't in the parks from morning til night. In the heat, you're going to need a break to sit in the A/C, shower, change into a new set of clothes (another tip, pack 2 sets for each day), maybe hop in the pool and overall just get a rest from the sensory overload of being in the parks.

Plenty of water and sunscreen. A patient and relaxed attitude. Utilize fastpass. Now, we did find that the evening EMH were sort of pointless unless you could stay towards the end. The first hour, the lines were crazy long. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I have stayed at all of the value resorts and most of the moderates. Between Pop & AS Music, I would def go with Pop Century. The resort is really nice and spread out. They have their own busses, all 3 of the All Stars share busses, and during that time of year its not very fun. Since staying at Pop for the first time in 2005, we haven't been back to the all stars since. Pop is closer to all of the other parks too, so bus rides won't be as long. We love Pop!!

As for August, I have been to wdw 3 times in August and all I can say is HOT and HUMID. I won't go again in the summer, but that is just my personal preference. I like the Fall months. But it is nothing to worry about, because no matter what, you will still have a fantastic time...Just remember you're away from the real world, and your at the happiest place on earth. We never let the crowds and heat ruin our vacation, but there were times where some of us were miserable because it was so hot. Just drink lots of water, take a few breaks throughout the day and enjoy yourself. That is why I love how the majority of the attractions are indoors and airconditioned (thats always a plus). Don't rush because then you'll just make yourself even more tired...take in all the atmosphere and take your time with things. You'll have a blast!

Let us know your decisions! :wave:

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Pop is newer so it's probably the best bet from a hotel choice point of view. Also, as mentioned above, sometimes the All-Star Resorts share buses and Sports gets first on and first home.

As for August, it will be hot. You will need to burn the candle at both ends to avoid getting burned yourself, literally. Be there at park opening at the latest. Leave the parks right after lunch and go back to hotel. Yes, you are not spending every possible minute you could at a park and therefore may not be "getting your money's worth." But you'll be much happier taking a break from the heat and the park. In August, most parks will still be open fairly late so if you head back in the late afternoon, you can enjoy the cooler evening as people who stayed straight through are storming out, tempers flaring. Enjoy the pool, take a nap, get off your feet, just stay out of the sun.

This approach does require you to sleep in after about 3 days. (you can't open the park after closing one the night before but so many times without resting).

You'll have a great time!

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

POP is great anytime, Aug can get hot and humid and as the saying goes if it's raining it's probably 2 pm. Rain showers happen every day last only about 20 min but they are heavy so a pouncho is needed, otherwise we have been there at least 4 times in Aug and have had no problems, if it's too hot they have AC everywhere. We will be there the first week as well, so enjoy.:animwink:

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I agree with everything else that's already been said - but I'm going to strongly suggest you bring a rain poncho! Afternoon thundershowers are VERY common in August. They don't last long, but they are intense for a short time.

I'd stay at POP before I stayed at either of the All-Stars resorts.

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

August is a hot time of year, weather wise, but assuming you dress for the season and aren't totally averse to heat, you'll be fine.

We've stayed at All-Stars before and had a good time, no complaints -- but the general consensus seems to swing favor of POP (which I haven't stayed in) among the Value resorts. I have had no problem staying at the Value resorts from time to time, even being the Spoiled Deluxe Resort Brat that I am. ;)

The crowds aren't horrible in August, or at least they weren't the last few times we went ('03 and '05.) You'll have a great time, I'm sure. Go for it! :)

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I've got a boatload of pictures of Pop Century in my 2008 signature link if you're interested. I highly recommend it. I've only stayed there and in ASMovies so I can't say anything about Music except that it looks fun in pictures, and that it's been recently renovated so the rooms are pretty new.

I've also never been in August, so all I can say is that it will be HOT so be sure to drink lots of water and take breaks so you don't get overheated.

Upvote 0

WTBAD

I have to go with Pop. I've stayed at all three AS & Pop. I think POp is the best of the four. It has it's own buses, a good gift shop & the largest food court on property. Plus you can watch Illlumnations from the 4th floor of Bldg #2, by the Bowling Pin stairway or walk out on the bridge over the lake for a moonlight stroll. But where ever you stay have fun.

Upvote 0

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
Wow thanks to all who replied! I didn't expect so much input!

I have heard about the daily rain, so I knew to plan for that.

Guys, I'm from southeast Missouri -- hot and humid is what I'm used to! My family and I travelled to the Bahamas a few years ago in August...also very hot and very humid, but it honestly felt about like home haha. It was just a little bit hotter, but with the endless ocean, that sure helped to cool things down.

Crowd-wise, could someone give me a comparison? I've neem 3 times in mid-Februrary (value season) and my last trip was late May. How would crowds in early August compare to the Feb. and May crowds? Out of Feb and May, I prefer the Feb. crowds for sure, but the May crowds weren't too bad (except for water rides in the afternoon).

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Crowd-wise, could someone give me a comparison? I've neem 3 times in mid-Februrary (value season) and my last trip was late May. How would crowds in early August compare to the Feb. and May crowds?

I can't give you a comparrison (never been Feb or May) but can give you some ideas of crowds. We were at WDW first three weeks of August 06 and Fast Pass for all the major rides (TT, TOT, RNR, Splash, Everest etc) were gone by late morning. Stand by lines for these rides at around mid-day were about 90 minutes.

Now don't get me wrong - we had a great time - did and saw everything we wanted to do - you just need to plan properly

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Pop is newer so it's probably the best bet from a hotel choice point of view. Also, as mentioned above, sometimes the All-Star Resorts share buses and Sports gets first on and first home.

As for August, it will be hot. You will need to burn the candle at both ends to avoid getting burned yourself, literally. Be there at park opening at the latest. Leave the parks right after lunch and go back to hotel. Yes, you are not spending every possible minute you could at a park and therefore may not be "getting your money's worth." But you'll be much happier taking a break from the heat and the park. In August, most parks will still be open fairly late so if you head back in the late afternoon, you can enjoy the cooler evening as people who stayed straight through are storming out, tempers flaring. Enjoy the pool, take a nap, get off your feet, just stay out of the sun.

This approach does require you to sleep in after about 3 days. (you can't open the park after closing one the night before but so many times without resting).

You'll have a great time!

All-Star Music has been recently renovated, so technically it's newer than Pop Century! I was there last June and I swear I could still smell the paint (that's how new the rooms were)!

And I just have to ask this question... why do people kept saying that the All-Stars share busses!?! I NEVER (let me repeat that, NEVER) shared a bus with the other All-Stars! Maybe it was the time of year but we always had our own bus (and I would go back to the resort in the middle of the day as well).

I would vote for AS Music! I really like the resort... the feel, the size, the decor etc. I'm sure Pop Century is just as nice and what ever resort you choose you'll have a great time!:wave:

Upvote 0

DISMOM

Plan your schedule to visit the non-extra magic hour parks. We went 3 weeks ago, and the park that had neither early morning nor evening extra magic hours were our best bet. We had park hoppers, and we still choose to go this route. Be sure and hit the water parks. They were great in May, so I'm sure they will still be good in August. Have a good time.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

We kind of like the heat! Have been going in April, Sept and November the last few years, and just booked a short trip in the middle of July so that we can feel the heat, go swimming mid-day, etc. We had a long winter in Chicago, and weird weather this spring, today it is 50 degrees, so I thought it might be fun to have that feeling of going back to the resort pool mid day and cooling off!

Upvote 0

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
Once again, thanks for the help everyone! After reading your comments and other reviews, I'm pretty sure we'll go with Pop Century if we don't decide to upgrade to a Moderate (if we go Mod, we'll probably do Port Orleans Riverside).

Another issue we are concerned with is driving or flying. With flight prices rising so high, I was surprised to find round-trip flights between St Louis and Orlando for around $210 per person (with taxes and fees). However, I think it would be much cheaper to drive it. I really do not want to drive the 16-18 hours though.

Also, when you drive, you don't have to pay to park at the resort do you? If we drive to WDW, we will leave the car at the resort and use Disney Transportation the entire week. But, I definitly do not want to drive if I have to pay to let the car sit there all week. I don't know... I'm confused. haha. Any help here??? :)

Upvote 0

DisneyFan1003

Once again, thanks for the help everyone! After reading your comments and other reviews, I'm pretty sure we'll go with Pop Century if we don't decide to upgrade to a Moderate (if we go Mod, we'll probably do Port Orleans Riverside).

Another issue we are concerned with is driving or flying. With flight prices rising so high, I was surprised to find round-trip flights between St Louis and Orlando for around $210 per person (with taxes and fees). However, I think it would be much cheaper to drive it. I really do not want to drive the 16-18 hours though.

Also, when you drive, you don't have to pay to park at the resort do you? If we drive to WDW, we will leave the car at the resort and use Disney Transportation the entire week. But, I definitly do not want to drive if I have to pay to let the car sit there all week. I don't know... I'm confused. haha. Any help here??? :)

Not sure how far you are from Orlando, but do the math before you make your decision. Who knows how high the gas is going to go this summer - the flight might be cheaper!

And I vote for Pop....we've stayed at all the value resorts and liked Pop best!

Upvote 0

figmentmom

A HUGE vote for POR from me - it's our favorite resort!!!!!!!

I would fly - knowing I had that long drive at the END of your vacation would put a damper on the whole trip for me. Book NOW, though, before ticket prices go up even more.

Resort guests park for free.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom