Possible trip in August Questions...

Wannabe Walt

I am hoping to be able to take my wonderful girlfriend to the most wonderful place on earth this August. However, I've never been in August (she's never been at all). Since it would just be me and her, we are on an extreme budget.

Two things I know for sure: trip must be min. of 6 days and we must stay at a Disney resort.

So here are my questions:
1. Should we stay at Pop Century or All-Star Music? I have always stayed at moderates, so I am somewhat concerned about the down-grading to a value. However, because of the tight budget, I'm not sure that we could stay at a moderate and still eat good! haha.

2. Because of school, we have to travel in August (because that Aug. includes value season). She starts school Aug. 18 and I start Aug. 25, so we have to go in early August. I was thinking something like August 7-13 (or somewhere around there). Does that sound okay? Is the weather miserable then? Tips? Anything???

Thanks in advance!!! :wave:

maryszhi

I love Port Orleans riverside for moderate, but pop for value( never stayed at pop exc. once sleepover with friend while my fam. and i were at beach club)

Upvote 0

PoohBear119

Seeing as the price of gas hasn't stopped climbing since last year... I would vote for flying... DH and I just booked our plane tix and it was only $220 P/P from Philly to Orlando... so fly!

Upvote 0

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
I actually think flying and driving would cost the same basically. I figured up the mileage (950 miles one way) and assuming the gas is $4 a gallon, it would cost roughly the same to fly. However, with the way airlines are going this days, can I really be certain that our flight will be there when August 7 rolls around?

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

I say fly...I don't think you will have a problem of the flight being there or not. Plus it takes a ton of pressure off you, don't have to worry with scheduling a day to drive there and a day to drive back. Not to mention you check your bags and don't have to worry with them again.

I am guessing your in college, I might make a recommendation for you. Consider going on your fall break. I did last year and was really pleasantly surprised, no where near as hot, crowd level is down big time, and you have MNSSHP.

Also you might want to look at the cost of food vs. the dinning plan. I know its changed this year, but I still feel like you will be hard pressed to find food less then what you would pay for the dinning plan.

Just my 2 cents, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps some.
:wave:

Upvote 0

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
MattyFlesh, thanks! I have been looking at the food issue as well. I have decided to go without the dining plan because we don't have time for the Table Services. During my last trip (May '07) we had the Dining Plan and we decided it wasn't for us. Usually, we do a counter service breakfast (usually at the resort) then we don't eat again until supper-time. And with the crowds being even greater in August than in May, we won't have time to eat a Table Service meal every day.

The timing issue is that I will be starting College (Aug 25) and my girlfriend is still in high school (Aug 18). My fall break is just a long Thanksgiving break. So , that won't work. Basically, August 6-12 is what seems to work out best looking at our options.

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

I am sure you guys will make the most of it.

Oh I did stay at ASMovies, the only complaint I had was that they ran one bus for all three all star resorts. You might not have that problem since it will be a lot busier when you go.

Upvote 0

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help everyone! As of now, even though the trip is not set in stone, here is what it is lookin' like:

August 6-12
Pop Century Resort
7-Day Park Hoppers and Water Park Fun and More Options
7:50 AM Departure flight (arrive in MCO around 11:10 AM)
7:25 PM Return light (arrive in STL around 8:30 PM)
Use Disney's Magical Express service for airport transportation

Food wise, we will not use the dining plan. The only reservations we will need will be for a Character breakfast at Crystal Palace around 8 AM. If we can't get into the CP for breakfast, we will try Cinderella's Royal Table (probably won't get in there) or we will do lunch or dinner at CP.

Any further tips? Suggestions? I am open to anything! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom