Possible name for new Nemo ride at Epcot

Buried20KLeague

Incredibles said:
Why not use the characters from your shows and movies for your attractions? For the younger, newer generation of Disney fans, the ability to see the characters they know and see at home in movies and TV at the parks helps them relate to the parks and their rides. It brings a sense of excitement that they know something about the parks. Why do you think character meet-and-greets are so popular. It stands to reason that the same idea will work for the attractions.

I realize the arguement is that the Imagineers aren't being "inventive" enough by creating stand alone new attractions, but who cares. The attractions they are creating, as a whole, are still really good. And even though WDW is for all ages, it makes beter sense to cater to the kids and youth and what they know than to adults. It's the kids that will be coming back for the next 60 years, not the older adults.

DITTO!! Good post.

I've got NO PROBLEM with a Nemo overlay at TLS if it is used as a vehicle to help teach. We should be happy they're holding true to that. That's what that pavillion is about. Doesn't bother me how they do it.

speck76

Buried20KLeague said:
DITTO!! Good post.

I've got NO PROBLEM with a Nemo overlay at TLS if it is used as a vehicle to help teach. We should be happy they're holding true to that. That's what that pavillion is about. Doesn't bother me how they do it.
Unfortunately many people can not see Nemo as the delivery method, they see it as a Nemo attractions.....although these are the same people that now see The Land as a travel agency pavilion :lol:

CaptainMichael

speck76 said:
Unfortunately many people can not see Nemo as the delivery method, they see it as a Nemo attractions.....although these are the same people that now see The Land as a travel agency pavilion :lol:
And the same ones that manage to not see hot air balloons hanging from the ceiling.

Buried20KLeague

speck76 said:

Wait. It's not a travel agency?? :lookaroun :p

What will be interesting to me will be seeing if the Seacabs will keep with the overall education theme of the pavillion or not.

If they clone the Nemo effects from the Sub Voyage in Disneyland, I can't see it being educational, because that's not the goal of the Sub Voyage.

We shall see.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
uglybug2005 said:
That's a pretty snobbish, uninformed, and intellectually dishonest opinion to have..

Welcome to the boards! That`s a pretty arrogant statement for a newbie.

It`s not snobbish, certainly not uninformed, and quite intellectual.

I was reffering to the comparrison of the goals, ideals and theme of the original EPCOT Center - the place where we were informed and inspired. Life and society in general has dumbed down, got faster, wants everything yesterday and for less. Epcot is no exception. Guests marvelled at a 45 minute travelling theatre show learning about oil shale and the trans Alaskan pipeline. Now they enjoy 3 minute E tickets and think 45 minutes is too long to spend in one attraction. For example.

Unfortunately many people can not see Nemo as the delivery method, they see it as a Nemo attraction
Very well put, speck.

speck76

marni1971 said:
Welcome to the boards! That`s a pretty arrogant statement for a newbie.

It`s not snobbish, certainly not uninformed, and quite intellectual.

I was reffering to the comparrison of the goals, ideals and theme of the original EPCOT Center - the place where we were informed and inspired. Life and society in general has dumbed down, got faster, wants everything yesterday and for less. Epcot is no exception. Guests marvelled at a 45 minute travelling theatre show learning about oil shale and the trans Alaskan pipeline. Now they enjoy 3 minute E tickets and think 45 minutes is too long to spend in one attraction. For example.

Very well put, speck.
People have become lazy idiots that want to be hand-fed. Many would rather wait in line for 45 minutes than be on a ride for 45 minutes.

The day of edu-tainment being more educational is long gone, now, it is almost as if the audiance needs to be tricked into learning something.

SeaWorld is another example of this....for year the live animal shows were education first, entertainment second.......but now, the educational aspect is gone from the new Dolphin show (Blue Horizons) and will be gone from the Shamu show when Believe opens this spring.....people no longer want to be lectured.

On the other hand, if I was paying $63 to get into the park, I may not want a lecture either.

uglybug2005

New name. Few posts. Been around for a while, though.
Also, number of posts/recent sign-up date on a message board has absolutely no bearing on ones familiarity with the operation of a particular company.

The very idea that "The general public doesn't see Nemo as the catalyst for education..." is the whole point. They don't have to be conscious of the delivery method, and not being conscious of the delivery method does not mean that the message is lost. In fact, that's the idea. You're not supposed to know that you're being taught something, even though you end up learning it while you have fun. That has been the essence of Epcot (and the Disney parks in general) from the start.

Making observations that "everyone (except the speaker) is dumber" is pretty arrogant, imo.

And I wasn't trying to attack you. Your post seemed to indicate that you were explaining the viewpoint of others (which I was already aware of, but I understand why you would isolate that particular p.o.v. in a single post)

Incredibles

Why does everyone assume that Disney should remain the same in the nature of its attractions? That is the down side of producing attractions that people grow up liking. An attraction might bring back wonderful memories to an adult that attended a park growing up. However, how often can you think of any company that addresses its public the same way they did 20 years ago?! Kids now-a-days like different things than their parents did. What child remembers the show (for instance) Dallas, and what parent had email 20 years ago. TIMES CHANGE!

People act as if Disney owes it to them to remain the same and keep the same attractions around forever. Some attractions are timeless, I admit. However some others lose their attractiveness and flavor; not due to the imagineers or original ideas, but rather due to the progressive nature of our society. If a new educational and fun attractction is made by adding new movie characters and technology without limiting the attraction's life for the next 10 years, then I say GO FOR IT!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
To note:

The general public NEVER liked the 3min ride that was originally was the "Carribbean Coral Reef Ride."

It closed due to lack of interest.

The concept was cool, but the actual final product was lacking. Now they are adding show scenes and extending a ride track - why are we complaining?

The pavilion had been without a ride for a long time - and it wasn't a Disney knee-jerk decision, but the ride really (despite what any fanboy thinks) wasn't very good and people felt cheated for having to wait in line for it.

No one ever really minded "The Seas" movie. It was pretty good, that's how it held up the pavilion on it's own for a while, but film based attractions, particularly in Epcot, need to be updated to remain fresh. I think closing a film to open a ride is a very good thing.

If you don't beleive Nemo characters are educational or can be, you haven't been to the new Living Seas yet where folks line up for 80mins to talk to a turtle about the ocean.

speck76

mousermerf said:
To note:

The general public NEVER liked the 3min ride that was originally was the "Carribbean Coral Reef Ride."

It closed due to lack of interest.

The concept was cool, but the actual final product was lacking. Now they are adding show scenes and extending a ride track - why are we complaining?

The pavilion had been without a ride for a long time - and it wasn't a Disney knee-jerk decision, but the ride really (despite what any fanboy thinks) wasn't very good and people felt cheated for having to wait in line for it.

No one ever really minded "The Seas" movie. It was pretty good, that's how it held up the pavilion on it's own for a while, but film based attractions, particularly in Epcot, need to be updated to remain fresh. I think closing a film to open a ride is a very good thing.

If you don't beleive Nemo characters are educational or can be, you haven't been to the new Living Seas yet where folks line up for 80mins to talk to a turtle about the ocean.
"WE" (and by we, I mean "them") are complaining because it is something new and different, and "we" have a problem with change

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
uglybug2005 said:
New nameMaking observations that "everyone (except the speaker) is dumber" is pretty arrogant, imo.

And I wasn't trying to attack you. Your post seemed to indicate that you were explaining the viewpoint of others (which I was already aware of, but I understand why you would isolate that particular p.o.v. in a single post)

Ah - I see. I was talking more about society in general - in developed nations worldwide. Kind of one (or two) step/s on from the `MTV Generation`. Everything slicker, quicker, and delivered yesterday or they won`t wait for it.

PintoColvig

I think Finding Nemo and The Living Seas is a great and natural fit. Turtle Talk gave me a reason to go in there for the first time in a long time.

Nemo is a very popular commodity. Where else in WDW would you put a Nemo tie in? You wouldn't want to put it next to a dinosaur themed area or a yeti attraction, would you? :drevil:

SGT623

PintoColvig said:
I think Finding Nemo and The Living Seas is a great and natural fit. Turtle Talk gave me a reason to go in there for the first time in a long time.

Nemo is a very popular commodity. Where else in WDW would you put a Nemo tie in? You wouldn't want to put it next to a dinosaur themed area or a yeti attraction, would you? :drevil:

Yeah, wouldn't that show have been better fit somewhere in Fantasyland? Oh well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom