Possible Frontierland expansion

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where can I get a good comparison of the two versions of Splash Mountain? I’ve ridden both many times, but I’m not sure I understand how it was adapted to fit.
There’s no direct comparison since both have different layouts, Orlando has side by side seats (Anaheim is six one behind another), Anaheim runs faster than Orlando...

I think the comment was more how Orlando’s theme was adapted from a Dixieland style to a more rustic backwater theme. But, since I’ve plenty of time on my hands give me a few minutes..

_caleb

There’s no direct comparison since both have different layouts, Orlando has side by side seats (Anaheim is six one behind another), Anaheim runs faster than Orlando...

I think the comment was more how Orlando’s theme was adapted from a Dixieland style to a more rustic backwater theme. But, since I’ve plenty of time on my hands give me a few minutes..
Thanks! I always noticed differences between the two, but I've never considered how they might all work all together as an intentional iteration on the theme.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks! I always noticed differences between the two, but I've never considered how they might all work all together as an intentional iteration on the theme.
It’s a quick sketch so isn’t 100% to scale nor 100% accurate, but you get the idea:

9F19E8B3-11F1-4B67-9E5B-5F45EF347F39.jpeg

Tokyos will really confuse you!

_caleb

It’s a quick sketch so isn’t 100% to scale nor 100% accurate, but you get the idea:

View attachment 457997

Tokyos will really confuse you!
Thanks for doing this! Very helpful. You mention that Anaheim runs a bit faster. I'm assuming this is due to having more drops along the ride path? Maybe it has to do with lighter weight boats?

Also, regarding the thematic differences, what else went into making Orlando's version a bit more "Frontierland-friendly" than Anaheim's deep South version?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for doing this! Very helpful. You mention that Anaheim runs a bit faster. I'm assuming this is due to having more drops along the ride path? Maybe it has to do with lighter weight boats?

Also, regarding the thematic differences, what else went into making Orlando's version a bit more "Frontierland-friendly" than Anaheim's deep South version?
Like others have said, Orlando’s music is the same but different. The original is more orchestral, maybe mardi gras in its approach. I’m sure you know Orlando’s is more “bayou” in style. Orlando has for want of a better word more wood in its design, Anaheim has more stone as well as wood. Hard to explain, it’s more a “thing” you subconsciously pick up on. Take this example. Anaheim top. Same place on both rides.

28759FD9-4618-4438-BB39-18601375D075.jpeg

_caleb

Like others have said, Orlando’s music is the same but different. The original is more orchestral, maybe mardi gras in its approach. I’m sure you know Orlando’s is more “bayou” in style. Orlando has for want of a better word more wood in its design, Anaheim has more stone as well as wood. Hard to explain, it’s more a “thing” you subconsciously pick up on. Take this example. Anaheim top. Same place on both rides.

View attachment 458020
Thank you so much for this! I could never really put my finger on what made them feel different, but this helps a lot!

doctornick

Original Poster
Paul Bunyan?

there was an old concept called Land of Legends that was planned for DL (and MK maybe?) that had stuff like Paul Bunyon. And would IMHO be awesome as a basis for a Frontierland expansion. Of course, in present day Disney, it's tough to see such things being approved unless they can tie it into some IP somehow (maybe a show on Disney+ or something could be done)

doctornick

Original Poster
I take it you were not a fan of this plan? What would you rather see on the north half of TSI?

I can't speak for @marni1971 but I think TSI is great the way it is. No reason to change it and it would be unfortunate if the river traffic on the ROA ceased (it's already decreased enough without the keel boats, canoes, etc). Conversely, I definitely want them to build paths around the ROA and use the northern area above it for park expansion - like they did at DL to build SWGE.

HauntedMansionFLA

I can't speak for @marni1971 but I think TSI is great the way it is. No reason to change it and it would be unfortunate if the river traffic on the ROA ceased (it's already decreased enough without the keel boats, canoes, etc). Conversely, I definitely want them to build paths around the ROA and use the northern area above it for park expansion - like they did at DL to build SWGE.
It’s the perfect way to get away from the crowds and start your own little adventure.

_caleb

The Disneyland Splash Mountain also has most of the old “America Sings” animatronics so to me always seems to have more total animatronics than Florida including random things like the “bird in the gilded cage” and the cats and the foxes at the start of the big riverboat finale.
I grew up with America Sings and loved seeing so many AAs repurposed in Disneyland’s Splash Mountain!

rowrbazzle

It’s the perfect way to get away from the crowds and start your own little adventure.

I visited it for the first time this past December. I honestly wasn't very interested, but my 7-year-old really wanted to go. It was so much fun! Running around with him there wound up being my favorite part of the trip. I wished there'd been even more to explore.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I take it you were not a fan of this plan? What would you rather see on the north half of TSI?
Flame effects again in the log cabin.

The MK has other expansion options. The island and the northern shore should be left alone and the mistake in Anaheim shouldn’t be made here. There was a plan for the 50th to develop an east - west connection in the area, it looked shaky even before now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I remember going to "Six Gun Territory" before WDW existed...

I have very fond memories of that place. My grandparents would take me to Silver Springs every few months in the mid 70's (we always stayed in the Howard Johnsons right across the st) and Six Gun Territory was a frequent addition.

jt04

Flame effects again in the log cabin.

The MK has other expansion options. The island and the northern shore should be left alone and the mistake in Anaheim shouldn’t be made here. There was a plan for the 50th to develop an east - west connection in the area, it looked shaky even before now.

Tunnels and/or moveable bridges could be a compromise. I'm in the camp of those who favor going big between Big Thunder and the HM. Park needs the capacity. Or a 5th gate somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom