Possible Frontierland expansion

Animaniac93-98

When you travel from Haunted Mansion to Big Thunder Mountain, you go from one end of the USA to the other across time.

Something connecting the upper half of RoA should do the reverse and bring everything full circle.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The difference here is that Martin posted what amounts to a skit - those don't survive. I'm talking a larger seated mid-range people-eater with a set on the level of Indy Stunt Show. The IP is the justification needed to see that concept built. IP puts butts in seats.

Last edited:

N2dru

When you travel from Haunted Mansion to Big Thunder Mountain, you go from one end of the USA to the other across time.

Something connecting the upper half of RoA should do the reverse and bring everything full circle.

That was the original intent but SM placement throws it off. You have the deep South/Georgia next to Monument Valley/Arizona now.

Animaniac93-98

That was the original intent but SM placement throws it off. You have the deep South/Georgia next to Monument Valley/Arizona now.

They changed the design of the exterior, and the background music, from the original to better fit the southwest design of that corner of the park. The intent has not changed, even if Song of the South [the movie] takes place elsewhere in the USA.

N2dru

They changed the design of the exterior, and the background music, from the original to better fit the southwest design of that corner of the park. The intent has not changed, even if Song of the South [the movie] takes place elsewhere in the USA.

I never stated the intent has changed, I said its thrown off. Yes those changes were made to the exterior, BGM etc because of the location/aesthetics but at its core its a trip thru Georgia. The designer's original intent for you to travel from the New England/Mid Atlantic coast, then the Midwest and finally the West, is still the same. But since '92 you take a detour south. We still end up in the West though. That's what I was pointing out.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I never stated the intent has changed, I said its thrown off. Yes those changes were made to the exterior, BGM etc because of the location/aesthetics but at its core its a trip thru Georgia. The designer's original intent for you to travel from the New England/Mid Atlantic coast, then the Midwest and finally the West, is still the same. But since '92 you take a detour south. We still end up in the West though. That's what I was pointing out.

Indeed, Frontierland unfortunately routinely mashes "Southern" with "Frontier".

And yes, "The South" was at one time a frontier, but it was a frontier two centuries before "The West".

This throws off the idea of a timeline from HM to BTMR. HM is early 1800s, then you go through Liberty Square which is 40 - 60 years earlier, not later in time.

I'm not saying that there aren't general geographic and temporal groupings; it's just not a nice, neat linear path through FL and LS.

People have a tendency to create a deeper story than what the imagineers created. And it's not surprising to hear CMs repeating such false narratives. Just think about all the back stories to the HM trying to create a complete narrative to what's mostly a collection of only tenuously connected scenes. All the rules people make up to what makes a Disney Princess part of the branded Disney Princess are wrong since they don't know that the origin was just a marketing ploy.

Movielover

The difference here is that Martin posted what amounts to a skit - those don't survive. I'm talking a larger seated mid-range people-eater with a set on the level of Indy Stunt Show. The IP is the justification needed to see that concept built. IP puts butts in seats.

I honestly would actually love to watch a fun, action packed Lone Ranger stunt show in the vein of the old Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show at Universal. That or a more swashbuckling version with Zorro. Of course I'm a bit biased since I love stunt shows...

doctornick

Original Poster

Zorro doesn't work for the chronological progression but the California setting does for the geographic one.

The logical progression would be a Pacific Northwest/Alaska theme set to the Klondike gold rush.

No Name

Both Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain are quintessentially frontier even though they are the west and south. Fantasyland and Tomorrowland have plenty of different locations too that isn’t really an issue.

I’d say its better than what they did for Splash at DL, overthinking it and creating a separate land.

Movielover

I’d say its better than what they did for Splash at DL, overthinking it and creating a separate land.

Disneyland's Splash Mt wouldn't have fit in Frontierland even if they tried, and was always intended to overhaul the Bear Country land in the back of the park. It wasn't until the attraction was adapted to WDW that it was redesigned to fit Frontierland.

No Name

Disneyland's Splash Mt wouldn't have fit in Frontierland even if they tried, and was always intended to overhaul the Bear Country land in the back of the park. It wasn't until the attraction was adapted to WDW that it was redesigned to fit Frontierland.

And in my opinion, which seems to be widely held, WDW’s adaptation is better. Point is they should’ve went that route from the start in DL.

Disneyson

I agree. A generic cowboy shootout works perfectly fine and IMHO would still be a hit with guests.

If/When Indy, BatB, and VotLM bite the dust, I can see a lot of the performers headed around WDW in the spirit of the pirate atmosphere test the did a few years back, the IncrediFans, or like Knott’s Berry Farm’s Ghost Town. Splitting the giant cast into groups of three or four would SEEM like a lot of entertainment is being added for the 50th, but actually be a cost-saving measure in terms of the ops and pyro needed to run Indy. A staged cowboy show here, Jack Sparrow running around Adventureland, return of the Muppets, a PUSH-style character in Tomorrowland, re-creating scenes from BatB in Belle’s village... by re-using a lot of actors they could save big bucks and distract from entertainment cuts elsewhere. And market a ton of small things that add up to “50”.

Whenever I see atmosphere get cut, I always like to see how they distract with one or two shows and experiences that use exactly the same amount or less people. Throw in an extension of someone’s character shift and it seems like more cast was hired.

_caleb

And in my opinion, which seems to be widely held, WDW’s adaptation is better. Point is they should’ve went that route from the start in DL.
Where can I get a good comparison of the two versions of Splash Mountain? I’ve ridden both many times, but I’m not sure I understand how it was adapted to fit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom