Possible Frontierland expansion

dizneycrazy09

LOL..... there's someone out there who think Splash Mountain will be rethemed... ever?

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is the opening song for the MK Welcome show
Splash is one of the most iconic E-tickets at WDW
As far as guests are concerned, it's an original ride based on a Disney-created folk tale
PATF didn't make nearly enough money to warrant a retheme
The scenes in Splash are too high up/detailed to just reskin to a different IP

I can confidently say Splash, Space, Big Thunder, IASW, HM, Peter Pan, POTC and JC will be at MK until its final day of operation.

Splash is not a mistake at this point... way too popular and expensive to just retheme. It's such a small mistake that no one really notices anyways.

But Tiana isn't getting her own E-ticket when B&TB, Lion King, Aladdin, Jungle Book and Mary Poppins don't even have one, yet.

What exactly is this "mistake" in reference to Splash? Please don't tell me that the "mistake" is because they used an IP that people now consider to have been less than sensitive to racial issues. None of that is even mentioned or hinted at in the ride. Please tell me that I'm wrong.

mahnamahna101

What exactly is this "mistake" in reference to Splash? Please don't tell me that the "mistake" is because they used an IP that people now consider to have been less than sensitive to racial issues. None of that is even mentioned or hinted at in the ride. Please tell me that I'm wrong.
JT04 thinks the 'Southern' theming doesn't fit Frontierland.

Really, anything that's backwoods fits decently enough in Frontierland. I doubt the average guest would say Splash is out of place in Frontierland.

It's not racism. The ride is a simple, happy-go-lucky adventure with B'rer Rabbit :) I definitely think Splash will be around until MK closes for good. Way too expensive to retheme or demolish.

dizneycrazy09

JT04 thinks the 'Southern' theming doesn't fit Frontierland.

Really, anything that's backwoods fits decently enough in Frontierland. I doubt the average guest would say Splash is out of place in Frontierland.

It's not racism. The ride is a simple, happy-go-lucky adventure with B'rer Rabbit :) I definitely think Splash will be around until MK closes for good. Way too expensive to retheme or demolish.

Gotcha. I definitely agree with you that Splash will be in the MK, as is, until the end of time.

I have no issue with where Splash is located in the park. I don't think I've ever thought that it was thematically out of place. Now SGE and MILF...well let's not get started.

MerlinTheGoat

Removing Splash Mountain would be the mistake, it's incredibly popular and one of the best Disney rides period. I'm sure there would be a huge backlash to get rid of it (and the left out all non-PC aspects from Song of the South, so there's really no fuel to use about it being racist). It even looks very good visually compared to the rest of the land. The imagineers themed the outside well, not overtly cartoonish enough to clash with the rest of Frontierland's more realistic style. The people who think it's bad or a poor fit for the land seem to be the vast minority.

As for it being southern themed and not "fitting" with Frontierland, Frontierland has always had influences of the "south". It's not "OldWestLand", there's a lot more to it than just that. Tom Sawyer takes place in Missouri along the Mississippi River. Davy Crockett, aka "King of the Wild Frontier", was from Tennessee. With his career primarily being based there as well as other southern states such as Texas. The land is not and has never been exclusive to the west.

I'm very glad the current idea is to keep the Riverboat and TSI. I admit that they're not attractions I generally do myself, but even for a casual observer they add SO much to the area visually. Things wouldn't look remotely as good without them. I would be very disappointed to lose them. There's plenty of room to expand this land without losing them, whoever said they should remove these attractions needs to be fired...

Bocabear

If they were to entertain losing the Liberty Belle, they could build two arched bridges, one from Big Thunder to TSI bu the bridge to Fort Samuel Clemmons, and another from the old boat docks by the Haunted Mansion over to TSI near the barrel bridge... then bring back the smaller boats to the river and redo all of the riverside theming and settings...Add more to see.
. Use boats the size of the old Swan boats, capable of fitting beneath the new bridges, but appropriately themed for the area (maybe smaller paddle boats) Load on a lower dock next to the Liberty Belle so at least we don't lose that beautiful set piece.
TSI would have much more traffic. it would dispel crowds, and create better flow, Aunt Polly's could go back into full time service, not a vending machine and tables......
At Disneyland Paris, they have Adventure Isle...which is a pirate themed TSi with many more caves and climbing structures, a pirate ship, hidden treasure, and a tree house. It is very popular and quite fun... it is also accessable by bridge... Maybe this could make TSI more relevant and popular than ever??
Of course, I really like the Liberty Belle...and I love that TSI is a little removed and intimate...they just did not have the current crowds when it was built...

flyerjab

Removing Splash Mountain would be the mistake, it's incredibly popular and one of the best Disney rides period. I'm sure there would be a huge backlash to get rid of it (and the left out all non-PC aspects from Song of the South, so there's really no fuel to use about it being racist). It even looks very good visually compared to the rest of the land. The imagineers themed the outside well, not overtly cartoonish enough to clash with the rest of Frontierland's more realistic style. The people who think it's bad or a poor fit for the land seem to be the vast minority.

As for it being southern themed and not "fitting" with Frontierland, Frontierland has always had influences of the "south". It's not "OldWestLand", there's a lot more to it than just that. Tom Sawyer takes place in Missouri along the Mississippi River. Davy Crockett, aka "King of the Wild Frontier", was from Tennessee. With his career primarily being based there as well as other southern states such as Texas. The land is not and has never been exclusive to the west.

I'm very glad the current idea is to keep the Riverboat and TSI. I admit that they're not attractions I generally do myself, but even for a casual observer they add SO much to the area visually. Things wouldn't look remotely as good without them. I would be very disappointed to lose them. There's plenty of room to expand this land without losing them, whoever said they should remove these attractions needs to be fired...

I was just on this ride yesterday. There is no way that it gets re-themed. I have never walked into Frontierland once and thought "gee, this ride looks terribly out of place."

And not only that. It is quite possibly one of the best E-Ticket rides in all of WDW. The length, scope, number of show scenes and overall complexity make it a must do for me every visit. I am amazed every time I ride it.

Bocabear

I was just on this ride yesterday. There is no way that it gets re-themed. I have never walked into Frontierland once and thought "gee, this ride looks terribly out of place."

And not only that. It is quite possibly one of the best E-Ticket rides in all of WDW. The length, scope, number of show scenes and overall complexity make it a must do for me every visit. I am amazed every time I ride it.
I agree...it's not going anywhere!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I wouldn't say Be Our Guest brings over much people, at least not for dinner because of how far in advanced you need reservations.

I disagree. There's always a giant line outside of the entrance and there's always a bunch of people just simply taking pictures as well.
Screen-Shot-2015-02-08-at-6.49.37-AM.png

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Peoplemover is actually very popular, it's simply super efficient and high capacity. It always has a constant stream of people in the queue and generally the cars, but it also constantly loads/unloads and doesn't have Fastpass to screw with it (thankfully). It was always this way, even in the early 90's before the crowds got really out of hand.

I agree that once people walk into Tomorrowland, they look at it and want to ride it. But it's definitely not an attraction thats popular enough that makes people WANT to go to Tomorrowland. Space Mountain makes people want to go to TL. Splash and Thunder make people want to go to Frontierland. Jungle Cruise and Pirates make people want to go to Adventureland. Haunted Mansion makes people want to go to Liberty Square. Peter Pan and 7 Dwarves coaster makes people want to go to Fantasyland.

Again, I'm usually always judging on non-regular theme park attenders. I was trying to get a point across that Tomorrowland has only ONE attraction that is really drawing people to the area simply but looking at the maps, knowing it's a coaster or an "E-Ticket"... Ect.

dizneycrazy09

I disagree. There's always a giant line outside of the entrance and there's always a bunch of people just simply taking pictures as well.
Screen-Shot-2015-02-08-at-6.49.37-AM.png

Pretty sure this happened when lunch was on a FCFS basis. They've done away with that style of dining now in order to remove the unsightly line that wrapped around NFL. To the best of my knowledge, there would no longer be any reason for a line to form outside of BoG.

Sage of Time

No. I was concerned that they had possibly finally found a reason to do so.
I'm glad they're looking beyond that. MK without a riverboat... ugly.
Last I knew, CoP had a few different departments responsible for different aspects of the show. It doesn't make sense, but it's a bit more complicated than other attractions due to the history and legacy. It will get some love again. Eventually.
Interesting. Is the archives that concerned for it?

Sorry.

So far as I know nothing's yet confirmed but it does seem to have some weight behind it.
Maybe we'll get something at D23?

lazyboy97o

Liberty Square and Frontierland were designed so that the two lands create a geographic and chronological progression. Moving from the east to the west in the lands one moves westward in the country and forward in time. Chickapin Hill is completely outside that organizational structure. It's a big design idea that was pushed aside for a popular ride.

Matt_Black

Liberty Square and Frontierland were designed so that the two lands create a geographic and chronological progression. Moving from the east to the west in the lands one moves westward in the country and forward in time. Chickapin Hill is completely outside that organizational structure. It's a big design idea that was pushed aside for a popular ride.

And most people don't care.

MerlinTheGoat

If you're going to be that strict about organization, Diamond Horseshoe interfered with that organizational structure long before Splash Mountain was built. It's very reminiscent of an old western saloon like show. It's closer to the Liberty Square side than TSI and the Riverboat.

There's a certain and fairly clear chronological and geographical structure to the land, but even when the park was brand new the original designers were never THAT strict with attraction placement.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

People like theming, but theming should not be this completely inflexible thing. If Splash Mountain were to take place in the future or a time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, yeah, it has no business in Frontierland. However, generally speaking, Splash is a pretty good fit. You can argue about the specific location within Frontierland, but most people aren't going to be obsessively nitpick over what is a minor detail. After all, the launch for TSI isn't far from Big Thunder Mountain and Splash, and I've not seen anyone complain about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom