Possible Frontierland expansion

habuma

Pointing out that sometimes an IP inspires an attraction such as Cars and Carsland. Other times attractions inspire franchises such as PotC and the highly successful movies.

Agreed. I just can't think of any IP that could inspire an epic Frontierland attraction. (I'm probably one out of a dozen people on the planet who enjoyed The Lone Ranger movie, but even I can't suggest that as the inspiration for an attraction.)

Another way to look at it: Not many people these days care about the west and the frontier and the time period and themes from Frontierland. If Frontierland is to be expanded, I want to see an attraction that may not be the most thrilling E-ticket, but after having ridden it, guests walk out saying "Wow!" and are even a tad bit more interested in that genre--an attraction that is so mind-blowing that suddenly the "frontier" goes through a renaissance of sorts in other forms of media and maybe even inspire a new franchise in that genre.

(To be clear, I'm not a huge fan of that genre, either. I can count all of the western movies I like on one hand and still have enough fingers to do a "Disney point". I'm not hoping that more people will be interested in the wild west. But I want an attraction that is awesome enough that it has that effect. Disney, wow me...make me excited about the Old West.)

Sage of Time

If a TSI replacement that docks the Riverboat got announced at D22, what are the odds Chapek gets booed off the stage?
I would love to see Disney booed over something. The reaction would be interesting to watch. In one fell swoop, you'd illustrate how Disney does not market to their fans but to what they think is the general public.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I would love to see Disney booed over something. The reaction would be interesting to watch. In one fell swoop, you'd illustrate how Disney does not market to their fans but to what they think is the general public.
You would like, but this board is the minority being Disney "Freaks" as some have put it. Disney can do no wrong in the majority of typical park goers minds.

stretchsje

You know what I mean.... Give me a new concept. Not another raft ride, not another mine train, not another ToT, not Cars, not WRE.... Just something frontierland and fun.
I've always wondered why a raft ride couldn't have a small rudder connected to that large center handle/wheel to influence the raft's spin. That would add quite a twist to an old ride concept. Make it interactive with on-board audio.

Sassagoula-Rvr

E Ticket...in one of my favorite lands in one of my favorite parks? And a new restaurant on an old boat...on the water? Sign me up!!

Ya losing TSI would stink...but hey...progress is progress....

sometimes I feel like many on this board would complain if Disney handed out cash at the turnstiles...

Edit: I forgot...not having turnstiles anymore...that's another touchy subject with some posters...

ToTBellHop

If a TSI replacement that docks the Riverboat got announced at D22, what are the odds Chapek gets booed off the stage?
By the Mom bloggers hoping for new pairs of RunDisney New Balance shoes? 0%. They will write that schnitzel up with the most positive spin possible.

mahnamahna101

I wouldn't

Would prefer an AA laden thrill ride
That's the wrong part of MK for it.

Adventureland (Indy or JttCotE clone) or Tomorrowland (maybe a first-of-its-kind ride system) are far better places for that kind of thing.

Frontierland already has two thrill rides. An all-ages dark ride or a people-eating stage show (6,000+ hr) are the only two things that would really make sense to be added at this point. Otherwise, all of the teens/adults will raid Frontierland by mid-afternoon lol... then again, they already kinda do.

mahnamahna101

Zero? They obviously wouldn't lead with "we're killing the Belle." I doubt they'd even mention it.
Considering the Belle isn't in the same level of Disney fandom as Horizons or Mr. Toad, I'd have to agree. There won't be riots if they close it up.

Any 'closures' would be saved for further into the future. We would, if anything, get 'Frontierland is expanding!"... and that's it. The Pixar portion of DHS, Frozenstrom and Pandora are the only things that should be discussed in semi-depth at D23. Star Wars and Frontierland expansion announcements should be pushed back until at least Frozen and Pandora open up, IMO. Both can get confirmation teasers, but definitely no real details.

CaptainAmerica

Adventureland (Indy or JttCotE clone) or Tomorrowland (maybe a first-of-its-kind ride system) are far better places for that kind of thing.

Frontierland already has two thrill rides. An all-ages dark ride or a people-eating stage show (6,000+ hr) are the only two things that would really make sense to be added at this point. Otherwise, all of the teens/adults will raid Frontierland by mid-afternoon lol... then again, they already kinda do.
I absolutely agree, which is why I think the raft ride (very low capacity) is much less likely than everyone is speculating.

The exit of a giant stage show would have to be very carefully executed, too. Dumping that many people out in a dead end behind the parade route would create a major pinch point.

mahnamahna101

I absolutely agree, which is why I think the raft ride (very low capacity) is much less likely than everyone is speculating.

The exit of a giant stage show would have to be very carefully executed, too. Dumping that many people out in a dead end behind the parade route would create a major pinch point.
Right. Frontierland needs a people-eater and some new guest paths to avoid any bottle-necks or dead-ends.

New Frontierland has to expand capacity considerably in order to truly help MK out. That would mean increasing MK's maximum capacity by at least 4,000-5,000. If they could somehow fit a giant stage show, reopen the Golden Horseshoe, fix up Country Bears, reopen Polly's yearround, and add in the family dark ride as the main addition, New Frontierland can drastically help MK's capacity issues (or at least slightly), while clearing up significant congestion in a typically packed bottleneck.

But I'd only expect an E-ticket and enhancements to the current Frontierland for now. Anything extra would be a pleasant surprise.

Personally, I'd rather see MK's $350m spent on Epcot. It clearly needs far more help than MK right now.

jt04

Agreed. I just can't think of any IP that could inspire an epic Frontierland attraction. (I'm probably one out of a dozen people on the planet who enjoyed The Lone Ranger movie, but even I can't suggest that as the inspiration for an attraction.)

Another way to look at it: Not many people these days care about the west and the frontier and the time period and themes from Frontierland. If Frontierland is to be expanded, I want to see an attraction that may not be the most thrilling E-ticket, but after having ridden it, guests walk out saying "Wow!" and are even a tad bit more interested in that genre--an attraction that is so mind-blowing that suddenly the "frontier" goes through a renaissance of sorts in other forms of media and maybe even inspire a new franchise in that genre.

(To be clear, I'm not a huge fan of that genre, either. I can count all of the western movies I like on one hand and still have enough fingers to do a "Disney point". I'm not hoping that more people will be interested in the wild west. But I want an attraction that is awesome enough that it has that effect. Disney, wow me...make me excited about the Old West.)

I am guessing there is a file cabinet full of ideas somewhere in a bunker in Glendale that could be dusted off.

There is a lot of possibilities for the natural splendor of the west that does not rely on old or new westerns. A lot of directions they could go. Being that it is the MK, I'd expect something magical or fantasy based.

ToTBellHop

Right. Frontierland needs a people-eater and some new guest paths to avoid any bottle-necks or dead-ends.

New Frontierland has to expand capacity considerably in order to truly help MK out. That would mean increasing MK's maximum capacity by at least 4,000-5,000. If they could somehow fit a giant stage show, reopen the Golden Horseshoe, fix up Country Bears, reopen Polly's yearround, and add in the family dark ride as the main addition, New Frontierland can drastically help MK's capacity issues (or at least slightly), while clearing up significant congestion in a typically packed bottleneck.

But I'd only expect an E-ticket and enhancements to the current Frontierland for now. Anything extra would be a pleasant surprise.

Personally, I'd rather see MK's $350m spent on Epcot. It clearly needs far more help than MK right now.
There is an expectation of big additions to a park for any major anniversary, and 50 is the biggest kahuna most of us will ever see.

mahnamahna101

There is an expectation of big additions to a park for any major anniversary, and 50 is the biggest kahuna most of us will ever see.
I know.

But it's pretty obvious Star Wars Land is the BIG addition for the 50th. New Frontierland will oddly be 'icing on the cake' lol - no one on here was expecting it until whylightbulb randomly mentioned it.

MaxW

If they could somehow fit a giant stage show, reopen the Golden Horseshoe, fix up Country Bears, reopen Polly's yearround, and add in the family dark ride as the main addition, New Frontierland can drastically help MK's capacity issues (or at least slightly), while clearing up significant congestion in a typically packed bottleneck.
i'd be so happy if they'd reno country bears. favorite attraction in disney world. that coupled with more dining options and another ride? i'd be tickled pink.

All i'd need now would be a sarsaparilla, oh yeah thats right...they are calling it rootbeer now

mahnamahna101

i'd be so happy if they'd reno country bears. favorite attraction in disney world. that coupled with more dining options and another ride? i'd be tickled pink.

All i'd need now would be a sarsaparilla, oh yeah thats right...they are calling it rootbeer now
A people-eating family dark ride... an overhaul of Country Bears... new Streetmosphere... the reopening of Golden Horseshoe... renovations of Splash/Big Thunder... reworked guest paths to get rid of the bottleneck and remove parade congestion... vastly increased max capacity...

Just about everything MK could use in an expansion. If we were also getting a Tomorrowland overhaul, MK would be set for 20-25 yrs haha..

If TDO gives us half of what I mentioned, they've done good, though. Really, just the E and overhauls to the current three attractions is enough.

MaxW

i ask for the world, and you sir ask for the galaxy. lol. id love if disney did all of that, but i wont hold my breath

Quinnmac000

Well just consider that area a counter to Fantasyland where I dread and avoid at all costs due to the amount and little ones and lack of thrills.

Evolution

I know.

But it's pretty obvious Star Wars Land is the BIG addition for the 50th. New Frontierland will oddly be 'icing on the cake' lol - no one on here was expecting it until whylightbulb randomly mentioned it.

The focus for the 50th should be all on MK imo. It's the only park that will have actually been open 50 years.

Wishful thinking but Star Wars Land would be open in 2019 in time for DHS' 30th so that way MK could get all the attention leading up to the 50th. I doubt it's gonna happen that way though, unfortunately.

doctornick

Original Poster

Agreed. If they were going to add a new thrill ride to MK, Adventureland is the best place, followed by Tomorrowland. What Frontierland really needs/is missing is an all ages high capacity, long ride. So, I would hope that if something big is being added to that area that it would be more like POTC than Space Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom