Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This.

I am one of those families with an autistic child that goes to Disney regularly because it is one of the VERY FEW places we can all enjoy as a family. We don't do museums, city festivals, special events like ICE at the Gaylord Palms, historic places, etc. He does not tolerate them because he cannot understand them and therefore they hold no interest for him. If Disney adopted the policy of going up to a ride and getting a return time, we would probably stop going, as some friends of ours did with Universal a few years ago when they changed their policy to this one. Why? Because if we go up to a ride and leave again without riding, there will be a meltdown. And at 15, though very small for his age, my son is very difficult to control when he wants to go in one direction in the middle of a meltdown and we need to go another. And he is VERY used to the current system and will not understand the change. He too has low tone and though he does not use a walker or wheelchair, he tends to just sit on the floor wherever he is when we are standing still (a constant issue while waiting for Soarin, even with a GAC.) He invades others personal space and makes odd vocalizations which increase in intensity as his frustration grows (he is nonverbal.) You do not want to be in line with my family behind you for an hour. Yes, we could use a "fastpass runner", but that does not work when he wants to ride his favorite ride now, not an hour from now, and riding that ONE ride now will allow us to enjoy the rest of the day in relative peace. Autism and OCD very frequently go hand in hand.

We already do not do parades, rarely do fireworks (unless its Wishes where you can just stop and look up), have never seen Fantasmic, rarely take in shows, don't do interactive games, and more. If they go to the Universal system, we will be done going. With the FP+ technology there is no need for such an antiquated system.

My main "argument" throughout this thread has been that "just" dealing with one type of disability, the otherwise normal person that is wheelchair bound, can't be the only solution addressed or we lose so much of what's amazing about what Disney graciously provides that Universal's myopic solution doesn't. Trying to educate fellow WDWMagicers about each and every possible disability is impossible, your son's situation is a dramatic example but it's one of many.

I truly wish we had an "Agree" button, rather than "Like"... Clicking "Like" would just feel wrong.

I sincerely hope that whatever Disney decides to do about the abuse of GACs in no way impacts your son's already limited enjoyment of the parks. Bless you for having the courage to share, hopefully some of those Disney lurkers read your story and take into account the wide variety of disabilities they currently accommodate so well going forward.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
The easiest solution I see is making a distinction between physical and mental disabilities. Add a few more stamp options, train the cast members and the problem is solved.

openendedsky

I believe part of their message is that every experience is different from attraction to attraction, day to day, guest by guest. We have waited double the posted wait times often during our visits but that is the ONLY way my wife can ride many attractions and sometimes we do wait less but I can honestly say I have seen very little abuse at WDW like what what shown in the recent news at DL.

It simply blows my mind that so many people sit around and complain about someone getting a perceived advantage while not stopping to take a look at ALL the disadvantages like rarely being able to watch a show or live play from a decent view or without someone blocking most of the screen, climb the SFTH, enjoy TSI, actually get off a bus in a reasonable time.

This year we have resorted to staying in Deluxe resorts either in the Epcot area to avoid using Disney buses as much as possible because the process takes SO LONG and the constant SNEERS/COMMENTS from other guests gets very tiresome over time, not to mention the times we have issues with drivers not wanting to load a wheelchair. We do not parkhop anymore, we pretty much gave up seeing parades as the wheelchair areas limit most parties to one extra guest (this is supposed to be a family vacation right?) and usually ended having to park by 1:15 to get a decent spot to ensure my wife can see, fireworks are a lost cause especially when guests start putting their children on their shoulders in front of you.

Funny thing is, the few guests we have seen actually abusing the GAC are also the loudest people complaining in the alternate lines that are hidden from most guests becuase they truely believed they had something special and did not realize the atttractions limited the number of people requiring assistance to a small number of simultaneous riders.

NOW, if the FP+ works, or chages are made to GAC I sincerely hope that the FP return times are spread out accordingly to only have a few GAC at at time as well, because I would be VERY angry if we were limited to three attractions (FP+) and still have to wait 60 minutes in the secondary queues as I expct would happen, this would result in my family NEVER returning.

And about planning your day, you are absolutely WAY OFF BASE, you cannot do anything without planning in advance and ALWAYS have to wait a half hour or so because some inconsiderate/arrogant guest has decided to use the ONLY wheelchair accessible restroom in the vicinity. You always have to plan on walking MUCH slower than you normally would because you don't want to run over the family that cuts in front of you HOLDING HANDS, or STOPS suddenly on a downhill walkway a foot in front of you.

That, and when guests want to use the GAC to "fastpass" the Circle of Life. I'm still relatively new and this has already come up a handful of times now.

misterID

Completely and utterly false. As @Tom Morrow said, people are not begrudging those with actual handicaps. It is the abusers. I will say it again... It is the abusers that people are having a problem with. They take advantage of the system and end up with a "plussed" experience far beyond what a regular or disabled guest gets. I have seen very little whining and crying about those with legitimate needs getting their needs met. It comes back to the abusers, time and time again. And to pretend they aren't a problem is naive, and ridiculous considering they have a negative impact on every guest, disabled or not.

READ WHAT I SAID. YOU AND TOM MORROW ARE IGNORING THAT.

I quoted and responded to specific comments that had NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH, to do about abusing the system. I said WE CAN ALL AGREE SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE about abuse. I was responding to the fact that people actually believe the disabled are getting a better vacation experience than they are and they seem to think it is at THEIR expense. I made that very clear and highlighted the specific comments I was responding to.

If you're going to "attempt" to call me out or basically call me a liar, please, at the very least, put in the slightest bit of energy and thought to actually read what I posted and WHAT I responded to. Thank you. Have a nice day. :)

jaklgreen

So for example, my son has severe low muscle tone which prevents him from standing independently. He can stand and walk with a walker but his muscles fatigue very quickly. If he had to stand in line for an hour, he would be done for the day. So probably the next question is why can't we put him in a wheelchair which disney would provide for someone who can't stand for long periods of time. You can ask a disabled adult to do that. You cannot ask a 5 year old boy to sit in a wheelchair who is not wheelchair bound.

Why can't you expect your child to do what you tell him to do? When I told my 5yo to sit her butt in the stroller then she sat her butt in the stroller because I am the Mom and told her to. Just tell him if he wants to go on the rides he has to sit in the wheelchair in the lines so he does not get tired. Why would you let a 5yo tell you what is best for him.

Animaniac93-98

Wouldn't the FP+ reservation system make it easier for people to plan their days around a handful or rides? You wouldn't have to go during the first or last hour the park is open to see them.

Yes there's the possibility of rides going down, but that can happen regardless of if you have a GAC or not.

Also, the 6 person limit not being enforced is one of the major areas of abuse. That was detailed in the Miceage article on the issue.

jaklgreen

The easiest solution I see is making a distinction between physical and mental disabilities. Add a few more stamp options, train the cast members and the problem is solved.

This makes sense. There is a big difference in how to handle mental and physical. I believe they have done a decent job of the physical part by making a lot of lines accessible to wheelchairs. It is the mental they have to work on which is hard since it is so varied(along with unable to be in sun and other things like that). I truly feel for all those with disabilities and have no problem with them going before me. What got me angry earlier in these posts were the people saying basically that they need a "front of the line GAC" or their kids will have all of these meltdowns with any type of a wait. It just sounds like it is more of a torture to those poor kids then it is doing them good. Everyone has to realize that it is a theme park and it will be hot and there will be crowds and lines and if that is something that you can not handle then don't put yourself through that. I hate the snow and the cold so there is no way I am ever going skiing, does it suck that all of my family are going and I don't, sure it does but I do other things( before u all start, I am not equating hating cold with a disability just trying to point out that we all can not do everything we want to do in life be it from a disability, lack of funds, too short, too tall, too fat, etc.)

arko

Why can't you expect your child to do what you tell him to do? When I told my 5yo to sit her butt in the stroller then she sat her butt in the stroller because I am the Mom and told her to. Just tell him if he wants to go on the rides he has to sit in the wheelchair in the lines so he does not get tired. Why would you let a 5yo tell you what is best for him.

It's not about not listening its about the desire for a 5 year old to not stand out and be as normal as possible, also a wheelchair is not like a stroller once in he has to rely on someone else to get him out, which even at that young age he understands.

arko

This makes sense. There is a big difference in how to handle mental and physical. I believe they have done a decent job of the physical part by making a lot of lines accessible to wheelchairs. It is the mental they have to work on which is hard since it is so varied(along with unable to be in sun and other things like that). I truly feel for all those with disabilities and have no problem with them going before me. What got me angry earlier in these posts were the people saying basically that they need a "front of the line GAC" or their kids will have all of these meltdowns with any type of a wait. It just sounds like it is more of a torture to those poor kids then it is doing them good. Everyone has to realize that it is a theme park and it will be hot and there will be crowds and lines and if that is something that you can not handle then don't put yourself through that. I hate the snow and the cold so there is no way I am ever going skiing, does it suck that all of my family are going and I don't, sure it does but I do other things( before u all start, I am not equating hating cold with a disability just trying to point out that we all can not do everything we want to do in life be it from a disability, lack of funds, too short, too tall, too fat, etc.)

You are misinterpreting what was posted, its not that if they wait in a line they will have a meltdown, its that not having to wait in line is one less stress they have to deal with, amidst all the normal stresses of having a child with a disability, and less stress on the child means less chance of a meltdown. As for the torture part, in most cases its not parents dragging these kids to Disney its that despite everything, the crowds, the noise they really want to go, they want to be like everyone else and go to Disney, if their trip is a little more enjoyable because they were not stressed when they didn't have to be, that makes everyone travelling with them less stressed and they can enjoy themselves as well.
Also some amazing things happen for some of these kids, some talk for the first time etc. My son who is high functioning autistic when he was younger (about 6) developed an irrational fear of movie theaters, but when he went to Disney he wanted to see Mickey's Philarmagic so bad that he went in anyway, and after that he decided he could go into theaters again (thank goodness because the drive in theater closed not long after). As he has grown he has become more tolerant of the noise and crowds in general. But his coping mechanism like many autistic kids is to walk away when confronted with something that they don't like or that stresses them. Most of the standby lines have parts that are very difficult to leave from and he could panic and maybe accidentally hurt himself or another person in his attempt to be as far away from the situation as possible

jaklgreen

It's not about not listening its about the desire for a 5 year old to not stand out and be as normal as possible, also a wheelchair is not like a stroller once in he has to rely on someone else to get him out, which even at that young age he understands.

And you think it is better for him to get all of those stares for having a GAC . You are still having him stand out as different but this way is just more of a benefit to you by being able to access the rides faster. This is what some people are talking about, Disney makes provisions for those who need it, in your case there is a mobility issue and not a mental one where you need a separate waiting area or "I can not wait in line or will have a breakdown". I am not suggesting you are abusing it but are not using it they way it was designed for your type of disability. Your child has to learn his limits eventually and it will be a lot harder as he gets older if you try to gloss over them now.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
And you think it is better for him to get all of those stares for having a GAC . You are still having him stand out as different but this way is just more of a benefit to you by being able to access the rides faster. This is what some people are talking about, Disney makes provisions for those who need it, in your case there is a mobility issue and not a mental one where you need a separate waiting area or "I can not wait in line or will have a breakdown". I am not suggesting you are abusing it but are not using it they way it was designed for your type of disability. Your child has to learn his limits eventually and it will be a lot harder as he gets older if you try to gloss over them now.

I'm sorry, but you are exactly why there are laws that determine what disability is and who it applies to. Because common citizens such as yourself have absolutely no clue what they are talking about and impose [rather arrogantly, I might add] their ignorant assumptions about what is best for others they have no concept of. Ghettoizing a disabled child into a wheelchair s/he doesn't need or want so they fit into your ignorant belief of what's best for them in the long run is wrong on so many levels I will stop and simply say "Good day, sir! Good day!" and ignore your posts.

arko

Who are all these people staring at people who use the GAC, the only time you need to show it is once at the entrance and another time when you hit the point where they collect the fastpasses, at all other points, unlesss you are waving it around nobody would know. If he is using a walker there will always be people who will stare, at 5 he could care less about what other people are doing, he just knows that everyone else is standing in line and he wants to do the same. Kids who have to use wheelchairs part of the time cherish every second they don't have to be in them. Understand nobody wants to be in a wheelchair.

MerlinTheGoat

I haven't read this thread through (and have no intention of wading through all the arguments), were there any changes done to the system since early last year?

arko

I haven't read this thread through (and have no intention of wading through all the arguments), were there any changes done to the system since early last year?

not yet, although some are reporting that the durations on the cards are being kept to 1 week or duration of stay even for AP holders, because there are reports that it will be changing in the next 2-3 months and they want to make sure all the old ones are out of circulation before introducing the new system. What that new system will be is not really clear.

MerlinTheGoat

not yet, although some are reporting that the durations on the cards are being kept to 1 week or duration of stay even for AP holders, because there are reports that it will be changing in the next 2-3 months and they want to make sure all the old ones are out of circulation before introducing the new system. What that new system will be is not really clear.
Oh thanks. Doesn't sound like a huge change to me, though we never stay for very long at once anyways (we only live a few hours away from WDW anyways and don't ever go for long periods of time at once). But this doesn't sound like it's going to end up changing much, unless they'll prevent people from getting another card once they've used up the old one.

I've a mom who has a hard time standing or walking for longer periods due to severe arthritis (inevitably going to get worse as she gets older). If she's feeling her best one day, she'll just start out with her cane. Though she usually ends up having to get a wheelchair before our trip is done. Don't mind waiting in lines as long as there's a way for her to sit down either on a bench or in a wheelchair while we're waiting in line. I just want to make sure there aren't any changes to the cards that are going to end up making boarding rides and such more difficult. Or if we need to get a doctors note before going to get the pass.

arko

There is a lot of points being missed in this thread. Gee whiz.

on which side?
Both sides have valid points, and I think we all agree the abuse of the GAC affects everyone. We just seem to disagree on the solution or whether there is an easy solution.

Tom Morrow

I quoted and responded to specific comments that had NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH, to do about abusing the system.
Exactly, which is why I didn't respond to it, because its irrelevant to the abuse of the system which is what this debate is all about. You and your family would still be accommodated with the numerous adjustments discussed throughout this thread.
You are misinterpreting what was posted, its not that if they wait in a line they will have a meltdown, its that not having to wait in line is one less stress they have to deal with, amidst all the normal stresses of having a child with a disability, and less stress on the child means less chance of a meltdown.
Then a system where they don't have to physically stand in a line but have to wait the same amount as everyone else, or alternatively, not be able to ride as, would work JUST FINE then! Again, I'm not saying that YOU or any other poster on here is abusing the system, but placing limitations such as these would still accommodate your needs but remove the perk that makes people want to scam the cards.

misterID

Exactly, which is why I didn't respond to it, because its irrelevant to the abuse of the system which is what this debate is all about. You and your family would still be accommodated with the numerous adjustments discussed throughout this thread.
Then a system where they don't have to physically stand in a line but have to wait the same amount as everyone else, or alternatively, not be able to ride as, would work JUST FINE then! Again, I'm not saying that YOU or any other poster on here is abusing the system, but placing limitations such as these would still accommodate your needs but remove the perk that makes people want to scam the cards.

They were your comments about legitimately disabled people getting a better vacation because of the cards and I tried to explain that isn't so. I didn't make it up, I didn't put words in your mouth. It was your quote. If I'm not articulating that well enough I would be more than happy to meet you face to face and discuss it over a cold beverage at the world, so you can see first hand that the card is not giving the disabled or their family a better experience than you have. It's a hassle, it's stressful, you miss out on many things you would like to do. But you want to make your family happy, and that makes all of the crap you have to put up with, including insensitive people, deliberate or not, who don't understand what its like, worth it. You just want to have your family member, who goes through so much, have that wonderful time, sometimes the very limited time they have left. I would be more than happy to discuss this. I'd even pay for that cold beverage :)

And no matter what system is put in place, there will be people who scam it. You cannot make all of these stark, specific, idiosyncratic rules, down to every possible detail and situation without hindering the legitmately disabled in some way. There will always be a broad systembecause it works. And no system is infallible to fraud. The big thing that's being missed here is that it's so easy for some people to say what the disabled should do, when they have no idea what their experience is like. It's easy to make all these rules and expect people to follow them and just accept some inconvenience, except, ironically, inconvenience seems to be the big thing some of you guys don't want to deal with yourselves and seems to be the crux of the anger/frustration towards these cards.

StarWarsGirl

The GAC cards need to stay for those with mental disorders/autism.

I've already said something about this, but I'll reiterate. I went to Disneyland for six days this past June. We took my younger brother who has moderate autism. His issues are mainly verbal with some anger control issues, processing issues, anxiety issues (runs in the family, I've got them too in relation to my moderate to severe asthma), and borderline OCD. For the first three days we were there, he was so intent on getting on everything. We kept trying to get FPs for RSR, but they were gone by about 9:30 and we were having trouble getting over there. Now, if he weren't on the spectrum, we would have done the singles line, but he can't be trusted in singles and we can't ask him to wait two hours. The one day it was fine because there were low crowds and we did a lot, but he was not handling waiting very well at all. He's been to WDW over 20 times without issue, and we'd never needed the GAC card before. The third day we were there his behavior was horrible. He was hitting all of us on the head very hard, melting down in the middle of the park, and when he has a meltdown, we can't control it. I finally looked at my mom and said, "I know we like to treat him as normally as possible (I'm all for teaching kids on the spectrum to wait in line if they can) but he's having a horrible vacation. I think we should get the special pass." Well, we thought about it. My parents had some reservations because they felt like it was cheating, but I finally nagged them into it, mainly because I was getting sick of being whacked on the head. The forth day we went and got the pass.

That pass was a godsend. Our last three days were so much better. We only used the pass if the wait was over 30 minutes or so, since it can take that long with the pass anyway and we like to teach him to wait his turn (the "normal" treatment is what we strive for in everything he does; we only go the opposite route if we absolutely have to). We got Fastpasses like everyone else if we could, but if we couldn't and he was intent on riding something, rather than have an uncontrollable meltdown in which one or more of us would be injured, we just used the pass and got on. Did we ride more than the average guest? Probably, but if we didn't have it, our vacation would have been far worse than the average guest's. Our goal was to use it if he needed it but to not abuse the privilege.

As far as what to do to ease up lines, a solution for RSR works rather well and might work well in WDW for certain attractions. There was a separate line for GAC guests in which you are given a "return time". It was usually 45 minutes to an hour away and let you through the FP line. This spaced out GAC guests. Also, although I've never worked with a GAC in WDW, in DL, they spaced it out so only one or two GAC families could go at a time. This increased our wait time and though it usually wasn't as great as Standby, there was still a wait. It wasn't a "Front of the line pass" by any means. We're going to WDW in August and plan on getting the pass just in case, but using it sparingly.

As far as the abuse goes, I'm not really sure what to do about it. We did notice how easy it was to get the pass and how people could possibly fake something and get the pass. To me, it seems unfair of Disney to require documentation. With a child with autism, talk to them for five minutes and you'll get something's not right. Most of them need the pass, and it's up to the parents to decide how to use it. For kids on the spectrum, Disney is quite good. I've heard multiple stories here, from families with a child with autism I know personally, and from experience with my own brother that something about Disney helps. Considering how hard their lives are on a daily basis, if a shorter wait and the stimulation helps them, I'm more than happy to allow them to pass (when I'm not with my brother and using the pass that is). Know your child and if you know they can't handle it, don't bring them, but if it helps at all, it's well worth it.

I thought an earlier post about distinguishing between mental and physical disabilities was good. For those who can't stand that long, other than putting benches in the lines, I have no idea what to do other than give them a shorter line via FP or possibly, if they're willing, giving them a discount on a wheelchair. IMO the wheelchair system is fine. Those guests still have to wait in line many times, and since they move through the park more slowly than the rest of us anyway in general, so if their wait is shorter for them but longer for me, oh well. I walk faster; I'll make up the lost time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom