Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles1812

Let's say with this new FP+ system you are able to choose your 3-4 fastpasses for the day ahead of time. And if you qualified for a GAC with the old system, you are now qualified for an additional 3-4 fastpasses for the day, and they can even be repeated fastpasses - i.e., your initial 3-4 FPs must all be for different attractions, but your additional ones may repeat each attraction one additional time, if you would like to. (Obviously, this is all hypothetical. I have no idea if this is how it's going to work out).
Now you can plan your day appropriate to your needs. Obviously, you won't be able to go from ride to ride with an instant FP like you do now, but in between FPs you will have enough time for those longer bathroom visits, you will still be able to walk at your slower pace if needed from attraction to attraction, you can see an air conditioned show in between FP (which so rarely have a wait beyond waiting for the actual show time itself) or at least take a breather in the shade, and you can even plan for an extended break between FPs so that if you're one of those who need to leave the park for a rest you are able to.
Obviously there is still a benefit as you would get twice as many fastpasses as non-disabled guests, however, it would still significantly cut down on the abuse seen now (i.e. guests who use their GACs to access an e-ticket's FP line 15 times in a row, which DOES happen). Plus, you could space the FPs out according to YOUR specific needs - plan them around meal, nap, and bathroom times - which is what this new system is supposed to do for everyone anyway.

Could this satisfy the masses (both disabled and non-disabled alike?) In my humble opinion, I think a system like this tied into the new FP+ system still provides reasonable accommodations that those who truly need them would still be thankful to have, yet it significantly would cut down on the "cheaters" from abusing the "instant & immediate" access they have now.
The only way I see that working is if proof of disability is required. You have to remember loads of people who have qualified for the GAC in the past are abusers of the system. Getting an additional 3-4 FP would be quite the advantage compared to a "normal" guest, enough so that I would see a lot of people throwing hissy fits about it. Equal it would not be. Though I do like the idea of people getting stopped from going around and around and around on specific rides by getting a set limit of FPs, whether disabled or not. I wish they'd just raise amount they are going to give out to everyone in general.

arko

You can not equate a wheelchair with a ghetto. A ghetto completely encloses and traps a person. You had said you wanted him to not stand out and I said a GAC stands out just like a wheelchair. And I really do not think it is about your child. Who would not love to have a front of the line pass instead of waiting in line. Everyone with a disability here is saying we would love the chance to stand in line if they could. You have that option with a wheelchair but choose the GAC option. Which is your choice but do not pretend you are doing it in you child's best interest.

being bound to a wheelchair is exactly as you have described it, completely enclosed and trapped, and for most its for the rest of their lives, its why those who only need them part time try as much as possible to stay out of them.

jaklgreen

Nobody says they don't try to treat their autistic child as normal as possible, my son is verbal, will hug you and have a conversation, he even attends Boy Scouts, but it doesn't make them less autistic it just means they have learned coping mechanisms for certain situations.The diet thing is a very contentious issue among the autistic community because it doesn't work for everyone(yes we tried gluten free etc), trust me you try everything you can get you hands on.
People ask me all the time what what does it mean that he is autistic, because to look at him and have a brief conversation you might not be able to tell. I usually explain it like this, imagine being born lacking all social instincts that we take for granted, like simply understanding what a frown is vs a smile, so they have to be programmed like a computer to learn the proper behavior. They tend to take things very literally because they lack the ability to understand implied meaning, once my son was in cooking class at school and the teacher asked him to take something out of the oven, well he did put his hand right in without gloves and burned himself. why because the teacher told him to, he lacked the common sense to think about what might happen if he touched something hot without protection.
All austistic children who get therapy etc makes some sort of improvements, but mileage varies depending on severity etc.

You are absolutely right. All children are different. I was sharing my experience with the autistic child in my life. I really truly feel for everyone with issues. We have several in our family. I think most people have suffered in some way or another. I think GAC is great for autistic kids. It is a shame that all of the people who abuse it are probably going to ruin it for others. I do like the fastpass+ idea for a GAC.

jaklgreen

being bound to a wheelchair is exactly as you have described it, completely enclosed and trapped, and for most its for the rest of their lives, its why those who only need them part time try as much as possible to stay out of them.

I can see your point. I still think helping the child come to terms with his disability would do him a good service. Maybe that is from my personal experience.

arko

I can see your point. I still think helping the child come to terms with his disability would do him a good service. Maybe that is from my personal experience.

there is a difference between coming to terms with a disability and not letting it get the better of you. there will be a point where that child will ask to be put in the chair because he can't keep going, but its better that he get to that decision on his own terms, instead of mom and dad putting him in there for convenience sake, going in shorter lines allows him to do more before he gets to that point.

arko

The only way I see that working is if proof of disability is required. You have to remember loads of people who have qualified for the GAC in the past are abusers of the system. Getting an additional 3-4 FP would be quite the advantage compared to a "normal" guest, enough so that I would see a lot of people throwing hissy fits about it. Equal it would not be. Though I do like the idea of people getting stopped from going around and around and around on specific rides by getting a set limit of FPs, whether disabled or not. I wish they'd just raise amount they are going to give out to everyone in general.

even the return system that Universal uses would be abused, especially with the advent of fastpass+, sure they may not get unlimited rides, but they will be getting more than you average visitor which is more than enough incentive to keep abusing it.

jaklgreen

there is a difference between coming to terms with a disability and not letting it get the better of you. there will be a point where that child will ask to be put in the chair because he can't keep going, but its better that he get to that decision on his own terms, instead of mom and dad putting him in there for convenience sake, going in shorter lines allows him to do more before he gets to that point.
I tried to think about it if that was our issue and what we would do. I think I would be more tempted to do the GAC but I know my husband is too honest to the point where he would see the GAC as "cheating" if there were any other options, like a wheelchair. It is probably our upbringing, we were raised in the school of hard knocks and you do not ask for anything and you find a way to get things done without bothering anyone. Obviously everyone is different. I do not envy Disney with this decision.

arko

I tried to think about it if that was our issue and what we would do. I think I would be more tempted to do the GAC but I know my husband is too honest to the point where he would see the GAC as "cheating" if there were any other options, like a wheelchair. It is probably our upbringing, we were raised in the school of hard knocks and you do not ask for anything and you find a way to get things done without bothering anyone. Obviously everyone is different. I do not envy Disney with this decision.

Most feel the same way when using a GAC for the first time, its a natural feeling, because you realize yea you just bypassed all those people, but then you realize why your there and how this will help make your trip easier and less stressful than it already is.And understand those who use it legitimately know that Disney is doing above and beyond and they are grateful for it and in no way feel entitled. Which is why we hate the abusers even more than you do.

jaklgreen

Most feel the same way when using a GAC for the first time, its a natural feeling, because you realize yea you just bypassed all those people, but then you realize why your there and how this will help make your trip easier and less stressful than it already is.And understand those who use it legitimately know that Disney is doing above and beyond and they are grateful for it and in no way feel entitled. Which is why we hate the abusers even more than you do.

They should have a severe form of punishment for GAC abusers along the lines of banned for life.

arko

They should have a severe form of punishment for GAC abusers along the lines of banned for life.

The problem is proof and Disney can't ask for that, so unless its so egregious that it is beyond obvious, like a quadraplegic suddenly getting up and walking around they run the risk of an ADA lawsuit.

asianway

They can easily do this for the tour operators who are running their business on property. Hoever, they dont have a great track record in that regard.

jaklgreen

The problem is proof and Disney can't ask for that, so unless its so egregious that it is beyond obvious, like a quadraplegic suddenly getting up and walking around they run the risk of an ADA lawsuit.
True but some people make is so obvious like they are proud of themselves. I know it will never happen due to the PR nightmare for Disney but one can dream. :)

Tom Morrow

They were your comments about legitimately disabled people getting a better vacation because of the cards and I tried to explain that isn't so. I didn't make it up, I didn't put words in your mouth. It was your quote. If I'm not articulating that well enough I would be more than happy to meet you face to face and discuss it over a cold beverage at the world, so you can see first hand that the card is not giving the disabled or their family a better experience than you have. It's a hassle, it's stressful, you miss out on many things you would like to do. But you want to make your family happy, and that makes all of the crap you have to put up with, including insensitive people, deliberate or not, who don't understand what its like, worth it. You just want to have your family member, who goes through so much, have that wonderful time, sometimes the very limited time they have left. I would be more than happy to discuss this. I'd even pay for that cold beverage :)

And no matter what system is put in place, there will be people who scam it. You cannot make all of these stark, specific, idiosyncratic rules, down to every possible detail and situation without hindering the legitmately disabled in some way. There will always be a broad systembecause it works. And no system is infallible to fraud. The big thing that's being missed here is that it's so easy for some people to say what the disabled should do, when they have no idea what their experience is like. It's easy to make all these rules and expect people to follow them and just accept some inconvenience, except, ironically, inconvenience seems to be the big thing some of you guys don't want to deal with yourselves and seems to be the crux of the anger/frustration towards these cards.
Okay. I see what you mean. I know that to a very limited disabled person, the cards help and they are definitely not having a better vacation. Which is why I think that Disney's answer of giving basically everyone who enquires the same procedure to follow is wrong and has lead to this abuse. There are different levels of disability and needs. You have situations like yours, and you have people that have convinced themselves they need a disabled pass because "my leg cramps up if I stand for too long!" or "ahh my son doesn't... do well in long lines." And of course, the many people that just flat out out lie. Wouldn't you rather have a tighter system that cuts back on abuse? It benefits everyone.

I know that there is no way to stop fraud, but there are so many things they could do to cut down on it, and right now they are not only doing nothing, but handing the cards out like candy.

Tom Morrow

Please keep in mind the MiceAge article, the subsequent news report were done at DL, not WDW. While there is abuse at WDW I have not seen it at the levels it appears to be occuring at DL, and the GAC is NOT a front of the line pass for most attractions, many it just means a walk through the FP line then on to a second hidden VERY SLOW moving line that is hidden from most guests.

For those of you complaining about the abuse, special access, front of the line passes, I sincerely wish you could experience sitting in a four foot wide blank/boring hallway for over an hour while moving at about three feet every 20 MINUTES to ride a 2 minute ride and then hear all about how you get a front of the line pass.
First off, oh, the abuse isn't as bad at WDW? How about the many, many first hand accounts and reports in this thread alone from both guests, cast members, and guest relations cast members that actually hand them out? Take it from me, and everyone else, it is exactly as bad. YOU haven't seen it because you aren't looking for it and you aren't working there dealing with it.
And the situation you described of waiting longer for a wheelchair vehicle - that again only applies to people with actual mobility issues, and not the thousands of families per day that are completely perfectly able but are getting the cards anyway.
The only way I see that working is if proof of disability is required. You have to remember loads of people who have qualified for the GAC in the past are abusers of the system.
Yep, especially considering all it really requires is a simple lie to guest relations.

arko

First off, oh, the abuse isn't as bad at WDW? How about the many, many first hand accounts and reports in this thread alone from both guests, cast members, and guest relations cast members that actually hand them out? Take it from me, and everyone else, it is exactly as bad. YOU haven't seen it because you aren't looking for it and you aren't working there dealing with it.
And the situation you described of waiting longer for a wheelchair vehicle - that again only applies to people with actual mobility issues, and not the thousands of families per day that are completely perfectly able but are getting the cards anyway.
Yep, especially considering all it really requires is a simple lie to guest relations.

I would more likely argue that DL has more repeat offenders who come in with their AP's. I guess we don't see that many people abusing the GAC because we don't go on the majority of E ticket rides, where the use is most beneficial to an abuser.
Although I will say this we have never been treated poorly by a CM, and most do some due diligence when we appear like asking if the person listed as needing the GAC is in the party. The CM's at guest services have always been super helpful.
Shows used to be an issue and during certain ones he would want to leave, I would always find a CM and ask to find a seat as close to an exit as possible, and what we need to do if we needed to exit mid show( which happened a few times). now we usually know where to sit and he is much less prone to want to leave but its good to know if I need help they will be there.

truecoat

I have a friend who's been in a wheelchair for many years due to SMA. I know he would be restricted from riding any rides that required a transfer at Disney but he wouldn't get a GAC for the ones he could experience. He doesn't like any sort of special help and knows he can get by without it. I once drove him to Target in his wife's van which has disability plates. He wouldn't let me park in the handicapped parking because he wasn't getting out. I have utmost respect for him. He thinks it's funny when someone gives him the poor disabled guy look. He's a VP at a fortune 500 company and makes far more money than most people he meets.

StarWarsGirl

He wouldn't let me park in the handicapped parking because he wasn't getting out.

In that case, he was obeying the law. Even if you have a tag, you aren't supposed to park in the spot unless the person with the handicap is getting out. Not getting out=No handicap space.

Learned that in Drivers Ed.:D

natatomic

Proof would be nice, i wholeheartedly agree, but as the GAC system stands now, there is no proof required to obtain one, and the current GAC allows for immediate and unlimited access to ALL fastpass lines. Equal it isn't already. Those that don't truly need a GAC (or those with the most minor of disabilities that can easily convince themselves in their head that they "need" in order to assuage their conscience - "I have a sprained wrist, and the pain prevents me from waiting in line," which is actually something I have heard before) often will use it to ride the most popular attractions multiple times (5x for Space Mountain, 4x for Splash Mountain, 4x for Thunder Mountain, etc.) That is FAR more use - and abuse - than an extra three or four fastpasses.
Honestly, I would be fine with them getting rid of the GAC system all together (keeping it only for GKTW) and having the same FP+ system for everyone as it does still allow you to plan out your day to fit your needs, but I know that is not something Disney would ever do, and it might prevent some of the most disabled of guests from being able to enjoy the parks. Yes, my proposed solution would still be easy to use by those who might not truly need it, and yes it will still make me angry as heck, but the abuse will be reduced a SIGNIFICANT amount, and I am willing to settle for a possible 95% reduction in abuse than an improbable 100% reduction.

openendedsky

Proof would be nice, i wholeheartedly agree, but as the GAC system stands now, there is no proof required to obtain one, and the current GAC allows for immediate and unlimited access to ALL fastpass lines. Equal it isn't already. Those that don't truly need a GAC (or those with the most minor of disabilities that can easily convince themselves in their head that they "need" in order to assuage their conscience - "I have a sprained wrist, and the pain prevents me from waiting in line," which is actually something I have heard before) often will use it to ride the most popular attractions multiple times (5x for Space Mountain, 4x for Splash Mountain, 4x for Thunder Mountain, etc.) That is FAR more use - and abuse - than an extra three or four fastpasses.
Honestly, I would be fine with them getting rid of the GAC system all together (keeping it only for GKTW) and having the same FP+ system for everyone as it does still allow you to plan out your day to fit your needs, but I know that is not something Disney would ever do, and it might prevent some of the most disabled of guests from being able to enjoy the parks. Yes, my proposed solution would still be easy to use by those who might not truly need it, and yes it will still make me angry as heck, but the abuse will be reduced a SIGNIFICANT amount, and I am willing to settle for a possible 95% reduction in abuse than an improbable 100% reduction.
Not necessarily. There are different stamps on different GAC's depending on the guest's needs, and not every ride's fast pass line will necessarily serve that guest the best way. Like other posters have said, there are, often times, lines for guests with mobility disabilities that aren't always obvious. While, yes, having a GAC or wheelchair may get you to the front of some lines, it may not do the same for other rides, depending on how they train those cast members to deal with guests with disabilities.

Goofyernmost

George - you know I love ya', but deep inside, you're just a bit scary you know....
laugh2.gif
Actually, it's getting a lot closer to the surface then one would like to see! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom