Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Morrow

Its because people keep chiming in with their uninformed input/unnecessary self defense/incorrect claims that Disney legally has to provide a service like this, and it's spinning the thread in circles.

Goofyernmost

They can still provide "reasonable accommodations" but it doesn't have to be a FOTL pass, which is what the GAC ends up being for many attractions (other options could be return times and waiting areas). All of that costs money though. Disney chooses to go this route because of cost IMO.

People will always take advantage of a loophole, human nature. It's up to Disney to solve this problem but it's going to cost them money. They sure don't leave a box outside the front gate saying, "Throw your admission price in here before you enter! Honor system everyone, be good!" Because that would be their money that would get stolen.

But maybe the new Fastpass/MyMagic system will be a part of this solution.
I agree 100% but since they have it in place, then that is what everyone one is going to try and obtain. Why wouldn't someone do that. It's there, you just need a good reason and you have an automatic Fastpass (which is actually better then a FP). How much Fastpass+ will help still remains to be seen.

If you want an idea of just how difficult it would be to transition out of that system, just take a look at the impassioned responses that this thread alone has generated. We get cut down because we say that people that are abusing the system should be stopped and we get a gazillion posts on how my son, my daughter, my mother, my father, my uncle twice removed, his second cousin to the lady that works the register at the local grocery store will not be able to enjoy WDW without it, and how difficult it is to say that we don't want to stop them from the benefits, we want to stop those that are using the disability of others for personal dishonest gain. How exactly do they stop that now the the 800 lb. Gorilla is in the room? I don't think you can unless you eliminate it completely, hurting those that do need it (see list above). They created it and at the time, like ADA, did it making assumptions. Those assumptions were that people would not do anything dishonest to disrupt something that was establish as a way to help the disabled. They were wrong and unfortunately a large portion of society have the morals of a ant. (sorry, that's an insult to ants everywhere, no hate letters please! I know that there are some highly moral ants.)

Violet

I agree 100% but since they have it in place, then that is what everyone one is going to try and obtain. Why wouldn't someone do that. It's there, you just need a good reason and you have an automatic Fastpass (which is actually better then a FP). How much Fastpass+ will help still remains to be seen.

If you want an idea of just how difficult it would be to transition out of that system, just take a look at the impassioned responses that this thread alone has generated. We get cut down because we say that people that are abusing the system should be stopped and we get a gazillion posts on how my son, my daughter, my mother, my father, my uncle twice removed, his second cousin to the lady that works the register at the local grocery store will not be able to enjoy WDW without it, and how difficult it is to say that we don't want to stop them from the benefits, we want to stop those that are using the disability of others for personal dishonest gain. How exactly do they stop that now the the 800 lb. Gorilla is in the room? I don't think you can unless you eliminate it completely, hurting those that do need it (see list above). They created it and at the time, like ADA, did it making assumptions. Those assumptions were that people would not do anything dishonest to disrupt something that was establish as a way to help the disabled. They were wrong and unfortunately a large portion of society have the morals of a ant. (sorry, that's an insult to ants everywhere, no hate letters please! I know that there are some highly moral ants.)

I can't know their assumptions at the time when it was put in place, but I don't think one of the assumptions was that people would not be dishonest. I think everyone, including Disney, knows people are prone to dishonesty (see above, does WDW leave a box at the front gate to collect admission fees on the honor system?). In my opinion, it was a cost calculation. Most decisions are motivated by cost when it comes to big business. But yes, I agree, they probably couldn't have forecast how much it would be abused.

On the bright side, I do think Fastpass Plus will help, if it is what I think it is. If people can get on their top three rides a day, maybe they will be less inclined to cheat and go through the lying. I also think that people who really do have issues will find it to be helpful. Most people who do have some sort of medical issue end up doing less at WDW anyway...being able to plan out a few rides a day as definites will help immensely. JMHO.

One thing I do wonder, and it's probably already been hashed out on this thread somewhere...Why aren't character meet and greets included on these alternate entrance GACs? And what about table service and quick service and bathrooms and the list goes on...Not being able to stand on a line would apply to all of those activities as well.

Goofyernmost

I can't know their assumptions at the time when it was put in place, but I don't think one of the assumptions was that people would not be dishonest. I think everyone, including Disney, knows people are prone to dishonesty (see above, does WDW leave a box at the front gate to collect admission fees on the honor system?). In my opinion, it was a cost calculation. Most decisions are motivated by cost when it comes to big business. But yes, I agree, they probably couldn't have forecast how much it would be abused.

On the bright side, I do think Fastpass Plus will help, if it is what I think it is. If people can get on their top three rides a day, maybe they will be less inclined to cheat and go through the lying. I also think that people who really do have issues will find it to be helpful. Most people who do have some sort of medical issue end up doing less at WDW anyway...being able to plan out a few rides a day as definites will help immensely. JMHO.

One thing I do wonder, and it's probably already been hashed out on this thread somewhere...Why aren't character meet and greets included on these alternate entrance GACs? And what about table service and quick service and bathrooms and the list goes on...Not being able to stand on a line would apply to all of those activities as well.
I hope you are correct about Fastpass+, but I just don't know enough about it to be able to think with certainty that this is what will happen. I also think that those that abuse the system are not one time ride doers. They are the ones that want to do the same one over and over again, as many of the regular Fastpass users do. I'm also thinking that Fastpass+ could even make it worse. Why settle for 3 a day when you basically can have unlimited access.

I also think that the people that design things like ADA or even GAC to a lesser degree, are people that generally feel that people are basically good. People that would realize that these rules were made to help those that otherwise are unable to participate in the same things that non-disabled people can do. Even if they did consider that some might try and take advantage that otherwise wouldn't qualify, the numbers, I'm sure were not significant, but, as human nature is inclined to do it has spiraled out of control, hurting everyone disabled and abled, honest people as well.

joanna71985

Because 99% of character lines do not have an alternate entrance. It's hard enough trying to control the regular line without having to deal with multiple GAC cards.

Violet

I hope you are correct about Fastpass+, but I just don't know enough about it to be able to think with certainty that this is what will happen. I also think that those that abuse the system are not one time ride doers. They are the ones that want to do the same one over and over again, as many of the regular Fastpass users do. I'm also thinking that Fastpass+ could even make it worse. Why settle for 3 a day when you basically can have unlimited access.

I also think that the people that design things like ADA or even GAC to a lesser degree, are people that generally feel that people are basically good. People that would realize that these rules were made to help those that otherwise are unable to participate in the same things that non-disabled people can do. Even if they did consider that some might try and take advantage that otherwise wouldn't qualify, the numbers, I'm sure were not significant, but, as human nature is inclined to do it has spiraled out of control, hurting everyone disabled and abled, honest people as well.

The reason it has spiraled out of control at WDW is because the place is so darn overcrowded much of the time. People are just desperate to have a good time and everyone is paying a heap of money to be there. There are just too many people and not enough headliner rides I guess...maybe too many hotel rooms for the amount of park space? I dunno. Anyway, it fuels a desperation on the part of the people who really do have special needs and the people who don't.

You make a really good point...The current FP-system abusers are another issue. I have one in my family, and yes, he thinks he deserves to ride what he wants ten times a day and he will lie, cheat and steal to do it. I think the new FP is going to infuriate him and I could see him moving to GAC abuse because of it.

Violet

Because 99% of character lines do not have an alternate entrance. It's hard enough trying to control the regular line without having to deal with multiple GAC cards.

I could see that. Don't some of the character meet and greets have Fastpass though?

PhotoDave219

Again 700+ comment on this one topic and it is from 5 to 6 people. I am ready for this topic to make its way down the line and not see it anymore when I come back to read!! It almost like blah, blah, blah!!! Lets work more on finding out when fastass+ is going to fully roll out!! Going in November and I don't want tone surprised and have no time to plan!!

This thread is entitled "Possible Changes Coming to the Guest Assistance Card." Might I suggest you find a different thread that is more relevant to Fastpass+. There is a title on each thread so you can find what you want to discuss easier.

PhotoDave219

Its because people keep chiming in with their uninformed input/unnecessary self defense/incorrect claims that Disney legally has to provide a service like this, and it's spinning the thread in circles.

You've been on these forums longer than I and you're surprised that people keep chiming in with uninformed stuff? ;) LOL

Its my observation that Disney will do everything in their power to escape both liability and bad press.

Kristamouse

Excuse me for being confused. The change to the GAC card is that when the new FP system is in place some GAC cards won't be given out because a return time will be given, thus not waiting in line. Please correct me or add any real information on the change.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Excuse me for being confused. The change to the GAC card is that when the new FP system is in place some GAC cards won't be given out because a return time will be given, thus not waiting in line. Please correct me or add any real information on the change.
The new FP+ only offers a limited amount of FastPasses. People will still have to wait in lines for attractions for which they didn't get a FP+ .

So the truly disabled will certainly still need the GAC.

gregsanity

@cindybeckett My family and I were at WDW the first week of April for a family spring break trip. I requested a GAC at Town Hall at the Magic Kingdom the first night we were there. I explained to the CM that my father had a torn meniscus and his doctor instructed to avoid standing in lines for length periods of time or walking a lot to not make matters worse in preparation for his surgery. The CM asked me to wait briefly and came back with a GAC with alternate entrance on this. I thanked the CM and the GAC was a tremendous help for my dad as it eliminated much of the standing in line.

Neverland

Yes, Mickey and the princesses at TST

Enchanted Tales and Ariel's Grotto technically have an FP line as well, although they won't use them until FP+ rolls out (and for Grotto, until construction is finished). However, none of those take GACs, or many other types of priority entrance passes.

I think that will continue, even with FP+.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Today, at an attraction's merge point, where the standby line was over an hour, I got to witness a party of -16- frat dudes with their girlfriends whip out no less than FOUR GAC cards.

anyone who thinks they are so entitled that its okay for them to scam, and shame on Disney for allowing it to get like this.
Assuming this is how it appears on the surface, this is clearly a problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happens on an attraction by attraction basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom