Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Morrow

I don't think anyone in a wheelchair using the alternative entrance would consider it a golden ticket, its stupid ill informed comments like this that makes people want to get one.
There are Disney guests that do not NEED assistance, including wheelchairs, who get a wheelchair at the entrance to MK, Epcot, AK, and DHS and then proceed to Guest Relations to get their GAC. Those are the guests the poster is referring to...not the ones who truly need the assistance.
Exactly. Also, you don't even need a wheelchair at all to get a card. You don't really need anything. You just ask for one and say the "right" thing.

Its knee-jerk reactions without even reading the thread like yours, @WDWLOVER1957, that hinder people from learning about the extent of the abuse or getting anything done about it. Yes, of course my comment is going to look "bad" and "insensitive" to an outsider who has no clue about the cards or the widespread abuse.

lego606

MagicBandit
*One thing about connecting GAC card information to MyMagic+ is that Disney now has medical information collected and stored with a guest name which is against the law unless they are a healthcare provider.

MagiCare. Problem solved.

Clever Name

Well, if they did that, it wouldn't take long before they realize that it was way more of a hassle to maneuver the Chair around then just stand in line. One would either have to push themselves around by the wheels which would produce a number of blistered and bleeding hands by the end of the day or someone would have to push there butt around the parks all day. The novelty would wear off real quickly.
That's why I prefer a ECV. Let the batteries do all the hard work!

Disvillain63

Well, if they did that, it wouldn't take long before they realize that it was way more of a hassle to maneuver the Chair around then just stand in line. One would either have to push themselves around by the wheels which would produce a number of blistered and bleeding hands by the end of the day or someone would have to push there butt around the parks all day. The novelty would wear off real quickly.
'Chair' was used to mean either a manual wheelchair or ECV...it happens more often than people realize at DL and WDW.

Goofyernmost

'Chair' was used to mean either a manual wheelchair or ECV...it happens more often than people realize at DL and WDW.
I don't have any evidence to support my argument and I don't think you do either. We are both working on opinion. Even if you witness 100 people getting off their ECV and got on the ride without showing much difficulty, still doesn't prove that they don't need one for the overall picture of touring the parks. As I said, I know there is abuse, I just don't think it is as big as many would lead you to believe. Without all the evidence we have absolutely no way of knowing without a doubt whether one needed it or didn't. It is something that we just all have to get used too. It is what it is until the laws change to allow companies, hassle free, to third degree the individual. That isn't going to happen unless we fall backwards into the dark ages again. So, I have to disagree unless you have some indisputable evidence that supports your statement. I'm willing to review any factual evidence that states that...not speculation, not opinion, but actual facts.

All any of the theme parks have to do to end the problem is not provide them at the parks. Allow them OK, you can bring your own and we will have access available for you. But they aren't required to provide the vehicles by law. They do it as a courtesy and for a revenue source. The latter amounts to parking meter change to a place the size of Disney.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Of course everyone on an ECV needs one. The last time someone indicated I was abusing the system as I tooled around the park, I jumped off my vehicle, chased that kid down (his t-shirt said HS track team and he couldn't even do the 100 in sub 11 seconds) and beat the tar out of him. The nerve of some people is unbelievable.

Disvillain63

I don't have any evidence to support my argument and I don't think you do either. We are both working on opinion. Even if you witness 100 people getting off their ECV and got on the ride without showing much difficulty, still doesn't prove that they don't need one for the overall picture of touring the parks. As I said, I know there is abuse, I just don't think it is as big as many would lead you to believe. Without all the evidence we have absolutely no way of knowing without a doubt whether one needed it or didn't. It is something that we just all have to get used too. It is what it is until the laws change to allow companies, hassle free, to third degree the individual. That isn't going to happen unless we fall backwards into the dark ages again. So, I have to disagree unless you have some indisputable evidence that supports your statement. I'm willing to review any factual evidence that states that...not speculation, not opinion, but actual facts.

All any of the theme parks have to do to end the problem is not provide them at the parks. Allow them OK, you can bring your own and we will have access available for you. But they aren't required to provide the vehicles by law. They do it as a courtesy and for a revenue source. The latter amounts to parking meter change to a place the size of Disney.
My original comment that you quoted was in defense of @ Tom Morrow since another poster @WDWLOVER1957 had misread or misconstrued his comment as an insult to anyone needing assistance. I was just making a general statement that there are people at WDW that abuse the privilege of receiving and using the GAC and will go so far as getting a wheelchair or ECV for their charade. This is a fact of life, because it happens in everyday life. I know this because even in my extended family there are family members that abuse the assisted parking passes issued by local governments. There are people that abuse welfare. If someone makes a comment as a general statement, it is their right in our country. Believe me, I have read enough in similar threads on this forum that 'blanket' all obese people as lazy and unhealthy, and that they're the problem with the GAC system but no one is coming to their defense. Our society believes that it is okay to tell obese people that they need to go on a diet or they shouldn't eat something. People are allowed to give an opinion.

Goofyernmost

No matter how wrong it might be? No, they are not allowed to pass judgment on people because they don't measure up to what they consider their standard of visual requirement.

If you read my post and read your own post you will see that we actually agree. Also remember that I only read what you had posted and it really sounded to me to be a blanket accusation that it was a rampant problem as opposed to a general problem in proportion with the rest of society. Your saying it happens and I agree. I'm not going through life with blinders on, it was just that you made it sound to me like the vast majority are abusing it. That I don't believe for a minute. If I read that wrong, I apologize for my error.

Disvillain63

No matter how wrong it might be? No, they are not allowed to pass judgment on people because they don't measure up to what they consider their standard of visual requirement.

If you read my post and read your own post you will see that we actually agree. Also remember that I only read what you had posted and it really sounded to me to be a blanket accusation that it was a rampant problem as opposed to a general problem in proportion with the rest of society. Your saying it happens and I agree. I'm not going through life with blinders on, it was just that you made it sound to me like the vast majority are abusing it. That I don't believe for a minute. If I read that wrong, I apologize for my error.
I understand that, but I'm saying that human nature is to have opinions and share those opinions. Whether or not there are facts to back them up. Everyone has an opinion and everyone shares their opinions...some do so vocally and others use their 'legs' and walk away from a person or group or situation. I was defending someone's right to have his opinion and pointing out that he/she was only referring to people who abuse the situation, not to anyone needing assistance. In return, I have received a lecture on not having an opinion, if I don't have facts to back it up. An opinion is someone's feeling or belief...not necessarily backed up by facts...I could say today was a beautiful day, but my neighbor could say today was an awful day.

Clever Name

I was just making a general statement that there are people at WDW that abuse the privilege of receiving and using the GAC and will go so far as getting a wheelchair or ECV for their charade.
I agree with you about the wheelchair, but not the ECV. Wheelchairs are often very cumbersome and difficult to maneuver. ECV's are a pleasure to use.

The speed of an ECV's is remarkable and much faster than walking. You can travel all around even a big park such as EPCOT and never get tired. ECV's are great for lazy people like me because I wouldn't bother to check all the little out of the way places if I was walking.

I also enjoy challenging other ECV users to races. I always win because I'm not overweight so my batteries are not stressed. ECV's are available for everyone.

Disneycoog

Exactly! I had few post deleted earlier because this was like beating a dead horse. And I don't help by replying either because it just brings it back to the top. This is a few people on this thread that make up the majority of posts. Show the evidence I am with you on this!!!!

Poofiesdream

I think the reasoning for abusing the GAC cards could easily be elimindated once the new systems are fully implemented, if they are implemented as they could be.

I don't expect it would take a great deal more for TDO to send a return-time text to your phone when it is your turn to ride, much like a fast pass but you check-in with your Magic Band, then go about your business shopping. Then you have 15 minutes to return to the entrance to take your place in line, this eliminates anyones excuse that they can't wait in long lines, sit still, etc.

I am an advocate that GAC are needed in the parks, they are a valuable tool for guests that need them and I do beelive the majority of guests that need them and use them are valid for the most part.
What if you do not have a phone? Yes in this day and age not everyone has one.

Tom Morrow

Exactly! I had few post deleted earlier because this was like beating a dead horse. And I don't help by replying either because it just brings it back to the top. This is a few people on this thread that make up the majority of posts. Show the evidence I am with you on this!!!!
YOU are beating a dead horse because you think everyone else is beating a dead horse. In reality, the cycle of this thread has been:

(person who doesn't work directly with this stuff or know anything about it and therefore doesn't see it): "I don't think its abuse and disabled people deserve to be accommodated! etc"
(person who is informed and does work directly with this stuff and witnesses the vast extent of the abuse on a daily basis): "You don't think this is a problem because you don't actually witness it ahd you're failing to realise that the cards are in no way required for accommodation at all since the parks meet the ADA requirements without them, etc"

So, I know you are targeting posters like me, but maybe if people would stop reading a select few posts, taking them out of context, and then having a knee-jerk reaction, we wouldn't have to keep "beating the dead horse" to explain the problem.

Clever Name

There is no way to know if GAC's are being abused. There are just too many invisible disabilities (such as trouble walking, standing, anxiety and fear of crowds, autism, hearing and vision problems and physical endurance problems, just to name a few) that are just as legitimate as being confined to a wheelchair.

For example, I don't want to be standing in line next to a guy that is suffering a meltdown due to his fear of crowds. I would much prefer that he and his party go to the front of the line and spare me the anxiety of having to deal with his crisis.

During my many visits to WDW, I've seen insulin dependent diabetics go into insulin reactions that have caused them to fall to the ground. I've seen persons with epilepsy fall to the ground with grand mal seizures. I've seen people suffering from panic disorder meltdown and I've seen people collapse due to heat exhaustion.

None of these events that I have witnessed has been pretty. I've been lucky enough to have caught a few people on their way down to the ground and spared them injuries from falling. I always think the same thing when I see such an event. They only came here to have some fun. Yet, their physical or mental infirmity has spoiled things for them again!

So I say that no matter what the disability, let them go the easiest route possible. They all deserve GAC's IMHO.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
*One thing about connecting GAC card information to MyMagic+ is that Disney now has medical information collected and stored with a guest name which is against the law unless they are a healthcare provider.

A

Not sure how true this is. Schools and childcare store students medical information connected to a name.

Goofyernmost

There is no way to know if GAC's are being abused. There are just too many invisible disabilities (such as trouble walking, standing, anxiety and fear of crowds, autism, hearing and vision problems and physical endurance problems, just to name a few) that are just as legitimate as being confined to a wheelchair.

For example, I don't want to be standing in line next to a guy that is suffering a meltdown due to his fear of crowds. I would much prefer that he and his party go to the front of the line and spare me the anxiety of having to deal with his crisis.

During my many visits to WDW, I've seen insulin dependent diabetics go into insulin reactions that have caused them to fall to the ground. I've seen persons with epilepsy fall to the ground with grand mal seizures. I've seen people suffering from panic disorder meltdown and I've seen people collapse due to heat exhaustion.

None of these events that I have witnessed has been pretty. I've been lucky enough to have caught a few people on their way down to the ground and spared them injuries from falling. I always think the same thing when I see such an event. They only came here to have some fun. Yet, their physical or mental infirmity has spoiled things for them again!

So I say that no matter what the disability, let them go the easiest route possible. They all deserve GAC's IMHO.
Remind me not to be in line with you. :D

Violet

If someone has a fear of crowds that bad, WDW is not the place for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom