Possible Changes at Test Track

DME

I think its obvious what could be done to "plus" Test Track (without a Cars tie-in) and still make it fit into Epcot: give the ride a futuristic overlay. I see no downside to giving Test Track a new angle...wouldn't it be even more exciting to enter a car testing facility of the future than it is to enter a present one?

In its current state, Test Track takes us through conditions we experience every day on the road and climaxes with a spin around a gray parking lot. Uh...yay? Personally I'd find it more appealing, and more appropriate for Future World, if I could go on Test Track and feel like I'm experiencing something I've never seen or done before, something that really gives me a fun and thrilling glimpse at the car of tomorrow. If I could drive a car built 100 years from now, what would be different? What will companies like GM have to think about when they build cars decades or centuries down the road? There's a ride where WDI could really get creative.

The way Test Track is now was fun two or three times. But as I grew with it--and as I myself became a driver--I found less and less about the ride to get excited about. But put me in a car from the future and take it for a spin...now that's more fun, and more EPCOT, to me. They wouldn't even have to change the ride system. Just do something, anything, to make this "thrill" ride better.

I agree with you 250%!!!! Great idea bout a futuristic car ride. That would totally fit into Future World more better.

TheDisneyMagic

The cars need to "take off" somewhere in the ride and fly! :sohappy: If you think about it, that's what people always thought they would do in the future anyway! :animwink:

Like the ride system done in the past? I'm sure I read once during testing whilist the park was closed of course a vehicle come off the tracks and went for a little soar?

As for updating the current attraction, I like the idea of different vehicles being given different paths and there for different tests being carried out from the start, they could do this when it goes Vehicle # is clear for hill climb. Or it could also be done when they are clear for Track Course A / B.

Peterwhite171

Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea uses the second generation Test Track Technology and has far less down time than Test Track does. Perhaps a total upgrade to the ride systems would fix the reliability issue?

I love Test Track and so do many guests, its one of the most popular rides at Epcot.

maelstrom

"I'm the electric car of the future. I don't go very fast and I don't go very far and when people see you driving me they'll think you're gay."

^ That's from the Epcot episode of The Simpsons. I do not advocate using the word gay as a slur. This thread just reminded me of that episode and perhaps that could spur an updated Test Track. Cars of the future. Pick up where World of Motion left off, perhaps?

Mr Bill

Like the ride system done in the past? I'm sure I read once during testing whilist the park was closed of course a vehicle come off the tracks and went for a little soar?

As for updating the current attraction, I like the idea of different vehicles being given different paths and there for different tests being carried out from the start, they could do this when it goes Vehicle # is clear for hill climb. Or it could also be done when they are clear for Track Course A / B.
This happened in testing before the ride actually opened. They purposely disabled several of the safety features to see what would happen in a worst-case scenario. It's also why you won't find a car 17 ;).

teebin

Um. GM has lost HUGE market share in the past few years. I am really surprised that they haven't pulled out of Epcot and their contract. At this point, we won't see any changes until it is "Test Track: presented by TOYOTA Hybrids"

CThaddeus

Of all the pavilions that need work, this one needs it most. It's the only attraction at Epcot I usually skip, as it embodies all that has been going wrong at that Park in the last 10 years.
1. It has no educational value - Anyone who has ever watched a car ad on TV already knows more about crash testing than you get from this ride.
2. There is nothing futuristic about it - It wasn't even futuristic when it opened. It was car testing as it was done around 1996.
3. It isn't the least bit unique - One of the hallmarks of Disney attractions is that they are experiences you might never get in real life. As has already been menioned in another post, this is nothing more than a drive in a car. You encounter heat, you encounter cold, you swerve and brake, and you go fast for a few seconds at the end. I do most of that in the rental car on the way to the Park. Why would I wait in a line to do exactly the same thing at Epcot?
4. A cheap thrill is slapped in at the end - If the speed test wasn't in the ride, my guess is no one would ever ride this. But cheap thrills seem to get a rise out of people, and so it gets a line.
There are other reasons I think this is a subpar attraction, but I think that covers the top ones. Honestly, a Cars overlay might almost be an improvement. The only way it could get worse is if they turn it into a complete speed ride with Aerosmith (or The Red Hot Chili Peppers) blasting through the speakers.

SDav10495

3. It isn't the least bit unique - One of the hallmarks of Disney attractions is that they are experiences you might never get in real life. As has already been menioned in another post, this is nothing more than a drive in a car. You encounter heat, you encounter cold, you swerve and brake, and you go fast for a few seconds at the end. I do most of that in the rental car on the way to the Park. Why would I wait in a line to do exactly the same thing at Epcot?
4. A cheap thrill is slapped in at the end - If the speed test wasn't in the ride, my guess is no one would ever ride this. But cheap thrills seem to get a rise out of people, and so it gets a line.

I've already commented on the fact that the ride is wrong for a place called Future World, but these are also important things to note about Test Track. Regarding the "high speeds"--those few seconds at the end are the ride's biggest selling point, and honestly they're not even that exciting. To me the rest of the ride is more interesting than the speed test, but it just wouldn't get people to wait in line.

As for how unique the ride is--I can see how this looked like a good idea when it was conceived (the premise makes sense and it seems like the perfect opportunity for big thrills), but once you get it off paper it's suddenly not so thrilling to be strapped into a vehicle that does exactly what you do every day in your own car. Real crash tests aren't anything special--they're designed to be accurate simulations of real road conditions--so what we have in Test Track is, like its next-door neighbor, a totally exposed "simulation of a simulation". So the transportation pavilion doesn't even pretend to transport us anywhere...what's the fun or magic in that?

GenerationX

To make it truly "futuristic", they would most likely want to replace the cars with alternative fuel cars. Not a major change to the attraction. They could also make them Jetsons cars, which would be a major change (and be really cool).

I'm not a gear head, but I do like the current queue. I find it interesting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Keep the concept and ride system, since WoM won`t be coming back, but make it a fantasy test; make the brake tests in a street setting instead of a warehouse, make the hill climb forest more real - it may be realistic, but I was shocked at how bare it all looked. And add some features to the outdoor section; a tunnel on the curve, some scenery perhaps. And I`m sure 10 years later they could now swap the main computers for something more powerful and reliable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom