Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings) Turns 20

stuart

Original Poster
Nice to see a couple posts on the DisneyParks blog and Walt Disney World facebook page today celebrating the 20th Birthday of Dixie Landings - or Port Orleans Riverside as it is now.

Never thought when we first stayed in 1996 we would be back every year since, but we have, and really wouldn't swap it for another resort on property.

Gutted to be missing out on the free birthday cake today, however it has been good to see the amount of work in renovations that the resort has seen - especially over the last few months.

Construction picture as seen on DisneyParks blog / WDW Facebook page:
407607_10150642058383274_155669083273_10982248_154816331_n.jpg

And one of mine from more recently:
1226465052_DC9kX-L.jpg

ChristianG

PO:R is my all-time favorite Disney Resort. The entire resort and environment is just truly amazing, quite an experience! I just loved walking along the river from our room to the pool or food court - by the way, the food there is great for a food court, and easy to get to.

aladdin2007

Happy Birthday to my sweet home away from home!:sohappy: I just love this resort!

Agree, Happy Birthday. Its a beautiful property, which you dont really realize how sprawling it is until you take the boat ride all the way from downtown disney to Dixie Landings. Yes I still call that part Dixie Landings. I can and I will. :wave:

I just wish they would reopen the sit down cafe at port orleans. And serve breakfast again at Boatwrights. shame. But like the last poster said the food courts are pretty good there.

WDW1974

I used to really love that place (although I can't imagine spending every trip there) ... back when it was Dixie Landings ... back when they had amazing food at Boatwright's including dinners that came with never-ending salad bowls with an amazing homeade chipotle ranch dressing ... and the best breakfast on WDW property ... and a food court that made great burgers freshly, tasty pizza too ... and great theming throughout.

Now ... well we do have those MAGICal princess rooms on the way because when I think of the South in the 1800s I think or Cindy, Aurora, Belle and what's the name of that other one?

real mad hatter

Happy Birthday.

Well this year will be our third stay at PORS.We love all that has been said by previous bloggers,and yes,the food court is superb.I'll never forget the first time I ordered the " create your own pasta ". Walking back to our table,my wife said " oh you got the big portion for two,that's great",nope, I replied," this is for one".I arrived looking like Bowie and two weeks later flew home looking like Meatloaf.[ the singer] .:lol:

Atomicmickey

Ah, Alligator Bayou.
Ah, dawn on the river.
Ah, evening stroll along the pathways.
Ah, food court.
Ah, boat to DTD.
Ah, YEHAA BOB.

Actually--one year ago tonight, I was arriving there with my entire
extended family for a family reunion trip of a lifetime, POR and then onto
the Disney Dream, and then back to the Poly.

No return trip in sight. Ahh . . . . .

But Happy Birthday, POR.

ShannyPooh70

The first time I stayed at this resort I was hooked. It has a homey feel to it plus it is a good location for all of our plans. Not to mention the River Mill food court is nice to have close for good food and relaxing after parks.

danstadnik

Its a beautiful property, which you dont really realize how sprawling it is until you take the boat ride all the way from downtown disney to Dixie Landings. .

That boat ride - at night, when its warm, but not overly hot, very well may be my FAVORITE thing to do in all of WDW. There always seems to be great CMs driving, and I love leaving the hustle and bustle of DTD, then being in those quiet woods... OK, I'm ready to go back now, thanks! Who's buying?:shrug:

DisneyWeather!

She is calling me home. We were just there in late August, but I really want to be there now. Everything the previous posters have written makes my want to come back. I too love the ambiance and so love just walking the property. The pool is fun, the Mill is good, the landscaping unbelievable. Right down to the old oak tree on Old Man's Island. We are seriously contemplating the long drive down just to stay there, hang at the pool, watch the movies on the lawn, eat at the foodcourt and only leave to visit the waterparks. And now I want to try that boat ride mentioned above.

prberk

Anyone have a scan of the property map when it was Dixie Landings? Did the section names change? I can't remember.

A beautiful lodge experience. You can fish with your own poles there, too. One of the few things at WDW that is actually free (if you bring your own poles, that is).

This is the kind of reason that I like staying on special places like this on WDW property. The tranquility amidst the chaos.

Paul

worldfanatic

My first stay at Dixie Landings came in August of the opening year (1992).
We arrived as Hurricane Andrew was approaching Florida, and at that point the possibility of it swinging north through Central Florida was very real.
A note warning guests of the Hurricane was given to us at check-in and the pools were closed until further notice. In fact the pool furniture at our small Alligator Bayou pool had been actually placed IN the pool to keep it from blowing around. I remember how strange that looked.

Well obviously, Andrew stayed to the south and all we experenced the next day was some occasional strong gusts of wind.
It did feel weird to be on vacation knowing so many people down south in Miami had faced such a disaster, but what can you do??

This was my second trip ever to Walt Disney World and it's the one that really put the hooks into me. I was addicted after this trip.
The Magic of Dixie Landings (POR) had a lot to do with it. I'll always love that place.

Donfan

We stayed there first in 1994 and still have the Dixie Landings coffee mugs that we bought them, and T-shirts, too. Now that I have DVC we tend to stay at the Deluxes, but still think most fondly of Dixie Landings and enjoy the boat ride occasionally just for fun. Happy Birthday POR.

craig2000

Happy Birthday Port Orleans Riverside

Happy Birthday Port Orleans Riverside ( Dixie Landings ).
I remember our first visit in 1997, and thinking how amazing the resort was, and how good the food at Boatwrights was.
I have been back at least 6 times and will be arriving in June this year again.
Cant wait to stroll along the river or take the boat to downtown Disney.

disneydad1000

Our Second Home

Happy Birthday Riverside!!!We went there for the first time back in 2005 before our daughter was born and we've been back every summer since.My daughter turns 5 very soon and she has been to Riverside since she was 5 months old.This year my wife is having our second child in the end of april..its a boy..So he will have his first trip to Riverside this summer.We also always drive from upstate ny:hammer: actually we really enjoy the drive, we take our time and stop at a couple hotels along the way.Can't wait to get back HOME!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom