Port Orleans - French Quarter

draybook

Just booked our trip for this September. This will be our first trip staying in a non-value resort. I figured that for just another $150 it was worth it to upgrade from Pop and get the Free Dining plan. What do those of you who have stayed there think about it? We'll be there from September 15th until the 22nd.

You will never go back to Values, that's what I think. I am not on here a lot and haven't been here as long as all of you, but I do recognize that you are a big promoter of the Values and "why spend the extra money for just a room and all" kind of guy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and for many years I would say the same thing...but you'll love the POFQ. I always stay there now. I have just booked my 35th trip since 1996, my first trip, and have stayed at POFQ probably 20 of those trips.

For the extra money, you'll get a nicer room, slightly larger room, two sinks and two comfy queen beds. The pillows are horrible but they give you plenty... :lol You'll love the fridge you don't have to pay 10 bucks a day for. I always stop at the grocery before arrival and have milk, water, yogurts, beer, soda, juice, etc...and it's nice not having to wait several hours for them to bring you a fridge that you then get to wait for several hours to see if it's working or not....my last two experiences at ASMovies.

You'll love the tranquility after a day at the parks. You'll love just taking walks around the resort and visiting all of the fountains and courtyards. You'll love the beniets beneits, whatever.... I love the music, it's so calming. You'll love the sound of the horse hooves when the carriage rides are going on around the "streets." You'll love the ambiance at night, the way the "streets' are lit. That's what I love...I'm not into the Mardi Gras scene, but I love the resort in spite of that. If you're one to sit poolside or visit the poolside bar, you'll love Shelly....she's awesome. On two occasions, I have witnessed her getting recognized by the resort management for a job well done...balloons, the whole nine yards.

The food court is limited in choices but good food and for the first time, just this past January, I walked down to PORS, a ten minute walk, and had a couple of dinners at their food court. They have a larger and better selection and less echoey dining room. If you like to go to DTD, the boats along the river are the way to go. It does get a little chilly at night but I really enjoy it and the boats are frequent, more so than the buses in my opinion.

I really love this resort and have stayed at all of the mods, values and three deluxes...this is my pick from now on. I live very frugally and could afford to enjoy a deluxe resort if I chose too....but because of my frugality, I really would get no more enjoyment out of a deluxe than I do POFQ.

I lied, I have never stayed at AS Sports. :)

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
Fantastic! I figured that the extra $150 over 7 night was worth going to a less crowded resort. Plus it looks like we should be able to see and hear some fireworks.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

DH & I loved our stay at POFQ. It's quiet & quaint, which was really appealing to us. It's a smaller resort, which we also liked. The pool is a lot of fun and is well themed. We liked the cafeteria, especially the beignets for dessert.

We especially liked walking the trail over to POR at night. It was relaxing & romantic. We liked it as much as our stay at The Boardwalk & Polynesian. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Great Resort.

You'll love it,stayed at FQ once and this year will be our third stay at RS.It's really like one big resort split into two,so you can stroll from one to another along by the sassagoula river,and yes,they are lots of boats that take you to DTown,about twenty min cruise,both have great food courts and entertainment at night in the bars.You'll have a great time for sure.:wave:

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Wow, with all the times you've been to WDW (I enjoy reading your posts), I'm amazed this is your first time at a non-value resort. For only $150 more and with the free Dining Plan, I think it was a great idea to upgrade!

As you probably know, POFQ has lots of fans who enjoy it's relatively small size. All the Moderates feel a little less hurried than the Values but I've always found POFQ a bit more relaxing than the others. You'll have a great time at POFQ!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We fell in love with POFQ, the grounds are immaculate, atmosphere can't be beat. We have taken the boat to DTD, a great perk to being at that resort. Be sure to see the night time entertainment by Dyson and go to Riverside to see Bob Jackson. Both entertainers are worth the time. The only negative I've had is that the hot tub is very small and it can be difficult getting a spot.

Upvote 0

plaz10

I've done a lot of research on moderates (I've only stayed at CBR and that was yeaaaars ago)

We are staying at POFQ in Sept. as well! (12-20) and we chose it because of the reviews saying how nice/quiet/intimate it is. We have always been big fans of POP because of the price and what we need - a bed and a shower. So for that (and when we were both students) it was perfect for us price wise. But now that I'm working (fiance is in med school) we decided we could upgrade. And POP just seems so busy and so much hustle/bustle we really wanted a more relaxing resort. And all signs pointed to POFQ. So hopefully we both made a good decision!

Upvote 0

lisak09

We stayed at POFQ last August, also with free dining. Very nice resort, we got a complimentary river view which was great. At night we could see some of the MK fireworks from our balcony! The free dining is well worth it, we had some great meals. Have a fantastic trip:wave:

Upvote 0

tink65

Wow!! You got an awesome upgrade for only $150!! In Sept 2011 I surprised to my family & upgraded our stay from Pop to POR and the difference for a standard room was a little over $700 for a 9 night stay! Even at over $700 I don't regret a single penny of what we spent. POR was beautiful and so peaceful! We had friends that stayed at POFQ at the same time as we were at POR and we would walk over to each others resorts to be able to spend time together hanging out at the pools! They love POFQ and it is a beautiful resort. You are going to have a great time!

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Great Move! That's the resort we've stayed at the most.

Nice and small - short walk to EVERYTHING.

As others mentioned the boat to DTD is a plus.

The rooms have been recently refurbed and last but not least...
BEIGNETS! An awesome treat you can only get at this resort...well the ONLY place you can get them on Disney property I mean...I've heard you MAY be able to get them in New Orleans..:lookaroun

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

We've stayed at the French Quarter as often as we've stayed at all other Walt Disney World resorts combined. We consider it our "home" resort for sure. It's a wonderful, compact design in a great location. Having the additional boat transportation to Downtown Disney is a wonderful perk. The decor is quaint and the rooms are lovely, especially since the refurbishment. The short walk to Riverside is also wonderful for sharing their amenities without having to deal with the sprawling layout that comes with staying in one of the rooms.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Great Move! That's the resort we've stayed at the most.

Nice and small - short walk to EVERYTHING.

As others mentioned the boat to DTD is a plus.

The rooms have been recently refurbed and last but not least...
BEIGNETS! An awesome treat you can only get at this resort...well the ONLY place you can get them on Disney property I mean...I've heard you MAY be able to get them in New Orleans..:lookaroun

:lol:

My boys won't eat the beignets at POFQ. They tried 'em and said they taste like school cafeteria beignets. They're a wee bit spoiled to Cafe Du Monde from our years living so near to New Orleans. :D

Often the CMs will hand out Mardi Gras beads and you don't have to flash anything or even holler 'Throw me sumthin Mister!!!' That's a perk worth mentioning!

We love POFQ. I've said it before & I'll say it again, best bang for the WDW resort buck! Love it!

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
Yeah, for our family of four at POFQ with FD and 6 day base tickets it was $2512, as compared to $2333 to stay at Pop, so just a little over $150. That $2333 was to upgrade to table service of course, but we have to have that.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Yeah, for our family of four at POFQ with FD and 6 day base tickets it was $2512, as compared to $2333 to stay at Pop, so just a little over $150. That $2333 was to upgrade to table service of course, but we have to have that.

Good score! Congrats! I hope y'all enjoy it as much as we did. POFQ rocks!

Upvote 0

John

We fell in love with POFQ, the grounds are immaculate, atmosphere can't be beat. We have taken the boat to DTD, a great perk to being at that resort. Be sure to see the night time entertainment by Dyson and go to Riverside to see Bob Jackson. Both entertainers are worth the time. The only negative I've had is that the hot tub is very small and it can be difficult getting a spot.

Absolutely do this! you will thank us later. Both resorts are terrific. I prefer RS but I have stayed at both and you can not go wrong with either one. As another poster said....once you have stayed here it will be very difficult for you to go back. You will find yourself spending more time at the resort. You wont be dissapointed. Soak these resorts in.....dont miss the details. Plus the time you will be going should be wonderful. Riding the boat at late night from DTD is just wonderful. I too look forward to your TR.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom