Port Orleans - French Quarter

draybook

Just booked our trip for this September. This will be our first trip staying in a non-value resort. I figured that for just another $150 it was worth it to upgrade from Pop and get the Free Dining plan. What do those of you who have stayed there think about it? We'll be there from September 15th until the 22nd.

John

ooooopppps....just a tip, we all know how much we like WDW tips. If you decide to see Piano Bob at RS. Get there early to get a seat. I know it will be tough pulling yourself from the parks but this truly is one of WDW hidden little gems. It is a show for all ages and he is one FANTASTIC piano player! I am sorry I cant say enough about him......:)

Upvote 0

bethram

What a deal!

I've only stayed at POFQ once, but we were very happy there. We're even talking about going back for beignets on our next trip since we'll be staying at a different resort.

Upvote 0
I've been thinking of you all day and this thread...and hoping you were convinced you made the right move to POFQ....looks like you're already happy with your choice. And I forgot the fireworks! I watched a rather edited but still neat fireworks display from near the frog pond fountain. You'll find it between buildings 4 and 7. :)

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

I forgot about the fireworks too. We were able to catch a lot of the aerial fireworks from IllumiNations from the balcony outside our door (in Building 2) on one of our stays.

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

My family and I are doing the same thing you are. We upgraded from POP to POFQ this year(Sept 29-Oct 6) for about $250. I have stayed there once before and loved it.

Upvote 0

wdwgirl3

we have only stayed at POFQ once and already consider it home! so quiet even if it is booked full. we are going back sept 29 for 2 weeks and have 3 resort days so we can really enjoy the resort! I don't know if you have heard of this, but I found a pirate treasure hunt for kids only that runs 3 times /week for a couple of hours on the river. (9:30-11:30)we are going to book it for our DD6 on one of our resort days I think it 30$/child. you can find the info here:
http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-activites-schedule.php

you are going to love it there!

Upvote 0

T-BoneMickeyFan

We've stayed at the French Quarter as often as we've stayed at all other Walt Disney World resorts combined. We consider it our "home" resort for sure. It's a wonderful, compact design in a great location. Having the additional boat transportation to Downtown Disney is a wonderful perk. The decor is quaint and the rooms are lovely, especially since the refurbishment. The short walk to Riverside is also wonderful for sharing their amenities without having to deal with the sprawling layout that comes with staying in one of the rooms.

We stayed at POFQ last week for the 5th time and absolutely love it! They were doing some remodeling in the main area, which really was unfortunate, but it's competed now. You will enjoy the resort

Upvote 0

shmmrname

Beignets and a smaller capacity.

I love the MODS, they are worth it over the VALUES in my opinion (if you can swing it.) PO:FQ was fun for us. The food court is smaller, and the theme isn't as "out-there", but it still delivers on what all the MODS should deliver on.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Oh No!

ooooopppps....just a tip, we all know how much we like WDW tips. If you decide to see Piano Bob at RS. Get there early to get a seat. I know it will be tough pulling yourself from the parks but this truly is one of WDW hidden little gems. It is a show for all ages and he is one FANTASTIC piano player! I am sorry I cant say enough about him......:)

Ok,I give in,I know Yee Haw Bob has a big fan following,but personally I can't stand him. Yes he can tinkle those ivories and he entertains the kids,but it's way too much for me,reminds me of a 60s holiday camp,hi de hi,sorry!this is one gem I'd gladly miss.:zipit:

Upvote 0

John

" I know Yee Haw Bob has a big fan following" hmmmmmmm......He may not be your cup of tea, as there are people who probably dont care for the FQ resorts or WDW as a whole. He is a throwback entertainer that helped make WDW what it is today. A small detail that makes the resort so special. To imply that he only entertains the kids is just wrong. Plus isnt that what WDW is about....letting the kid inside all of us come out?

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

We have stayed at deluxe resorts, club level but keep going back to POFQ. Its the best!!! Only one my husband will stay at now. Its well worth the upgrade from the POP. Only problem is word is getting out and the resort is filling up fast. Its becoming very popular!

Upvote 0

lindasworld

Pofq

We stayed here last december, it's GREAT. You need to check out this web site "portorleans.org" it has all the info. you'll need and some great pictures from guests also. We have already booked "bounce back" this december at the same place.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

" I know Yee Haw Bob has a big fan following" hmmmmmmm......He may not be your cup of tea, as there are people who probably dont care for the FQ resorts or WDW as a whole. He is a throwback entertainer that helped make WDW what it is today. A small detail that makes the resort so special. To imply that he only entertains the kids is just wrong. Plus isnt that what WDW is about....letting the kid inside all of us come out?

To get a preview for what you are in for - go to Youtube, there's a few videos of his style of entertainment. I love it when he gets that piano rockin. I've never seen a show thats been less than fantastic, he gets everyone involved. A hidden gem thats worth discovering.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Oops.

Looks like I've opened a hornets nest here,I like a good music discussion and being in the music business myself for over forty years,I wouldn't hire Yee Haw if he was the last piano player on the planet,and if this is your idea of music entertainment,I would love to hear your record collection,and finally yes,WDW is about letting the kid inside all of us come out,and iam out of here!:wave:

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
:lol:

My boys won't eat the beignets at POFQ. They tried 'em and said they taste like school cafeteria beignets. They're a wee bit spoiled to Cafe Du Monde from our years living so near to New Orleans. :D
QUOTE]

That's what I was afraid of!! The Beignets at POFQ unfortunately being the only ones I've ever tried...:eek:
With that being said...I'm a huge Saints fan and of Cajun cooking\New Orleans culture so sooner or later I'm getting down there and will have a reference point..Until then I'm going to ignorantly enjoy the POFQ beignets. ;)

Upvote 0

We Be Pirates

We were at POFQ for the last week of February. Immaculate housekeeping! And there is no building where the walk is unmanageable, its just a pleasure. The boat access is a great switch off for bus use too. We loved every minute...going back to POR Royal Rooms for Christmas and probably a family trip to POFQ in 2013 for my son's birthday. You will love it! have a blast! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
Can anyone recommend a building to request, one with a river view? I know we're paying for a Garden View room, but I have my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom