POR, Old Key West or Saratoga Springs?

Ilovewishes

My friend knows I'm a regular on here and has asked me to pose a question to those of you with the know!

She has the choice of staying in one of three hotels next August: POR, Old Key West or Saratoga Springs.

She isn't sure which one to pick (the prices are actually all very similar!) but she would prefer somewhere with a nice restaurant and a good counter service, She's not too bothered about the location as long as it isn't miles away.

She will also be travelling with her husband and her son who will be 9 at the time.

I haven't actually stayed at any of these three so any thoughts on which she should choose and reasons for that choice that I can relay back to her?

Many thanks!:D

Club Cooloholic

It's really tough to say, because POR is moderate, thus smaller rooms and no kitchens. Old Key West and Saratoga will probably provide you more space, but I have never stayed at them. It really depends on the personal tastes of your friends. Are they looking for a Bayou type theme, or a beachy theme, or an upstate new york theme?

Probably your best bet would be looking at the menu's and pics at allears.net with your friend, as well as some review of the places in a guide book like the Unofficial.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

By the way, I think I passed what is the Saratoga Springs resort on a boat to downtown disney, is just me or is that resort HUGE. It seems like it would be tough to get around there, and is there walking access to Downtown Disney on both ends of the resort, or just the one, with the bridge?

Upvote 0

Lucky

Aren't SS and OKW pretty deficient on restaurants, because there are kitchens in the units? I've also heard bus service isn't as reliable.

PoR has a huge food court and a TS restaurant.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I vote POR!!!! Location is great...bus rides to all parks were surprisingly short (except AK).

POR has a sit-down restaurant, food court was great, boat to DTD, its a big resort...but not as HUGE as Saratoga Springs. The grounds are gorgeous, the rooms are a nice size with a fridge and very cute decor (in alligator bayou)...I'd rather save the money.. you only sleep and shower in the rooms, thats I how I see it.

I absolutely would recommend POR to anyone, I was truely impressed when i stayed there last year. I don't know the cost difference among POR, OKW and SSR, but I would think POR is cheapest since it is a moderate...and for the cost of POR, I think it is well-worth it. :wave:

Upvote 0

dvcmooch

Three good places to stay !

Port Orleans Riverside: Good size food court, but can get crowded.
Their restaurant is named Boatwrights, good atmosphere and has good down-home cooking, a little Cajun I think.

Old Key West: No food court. Their restaurant is named Olivia's, good atmosphere, but to me, the food seemed rather plain. Did not inspire me.

Saratoga Spings: Food court is named The Artist's Palette. Good food and usually not very busy. I can't remember the name of their restaurant, but it has a very good menu and is matches well with the Saratoga Springs equestrian theme. You can get to this restaurant by walking through The Artist's Palette and turning right, or park in the back, by the channel, and walking up some stairs right into the restaurant.

Whichever one you pick, Have FUN and hug Mickey & Minnie !

Upvote 0

fredtom

We have stayed at all three, and don't think you would go wrong whichever you choose. Each resort is beautiful and has much to offer, but very different from one other. You'll just need to decide what type theming might appeal to you and your family most. We'll be back at OKW in just 9 days!

OKW has counter service and Olivia's Cafe for table service. SSR has a larger counter service area and selection in addition to the Turf Bar & Grill. POR has a food court, if that is a preference for you, as well as Boatwrights for table service.

There is bus and boat transportation to DTD from all three. POR is adjacent to POFQ which gives you access to their pool and amenities also.

I don't think you'll regret whatever your choice... Have a wonderful time!

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Old Key West & Saratoga Springs are all Disney Vacation Club resorts, as opposed to the other DVC resorts that are Villas within Deluxe resorts). When moderates get oversold, they often offer rooms to people at OKW or SSR instead. Which is not to say they should be considered consolation prizes, quite the opposite. They're beautiful resorts. But the theming is decidedly more muted than at pretty much any other resort on property, and they're a little more isolated than any of the deluxes. And by "isolated" I mean that they're not close to any of the parks though they are boating (and depending on where you stay, walking) distance to Downtown Disney.

Between the three of them, OKW will have the largest rooms. OKW & SSR will have "kitchenettes" - little refrigerators and microwave ovens with a tiny sink for your kitchen-y needs. PO-R will have a refrigerator, which might be tinier than the ones at OKW or SSR, but I could be wrong on that. On the flip side, I believe PO-R's bathroom areas will have his-and-her sinks (though there's no law that says you can't brush teeth or wash your face at the kitchenette's sink).

All 3 of them are ginormous, but I'm pretty sure PO-R will have the most rooms, over 2000 (whereas many of the units at OKW & SSR can house more than 4 people).

I agree that your friend might want to go to allearsnet.com and check out the photos and reviews (written by both contributors to the site AND the readers). There might be one that floats your friend's boat the most. Considering there's a 9-year old in the party, PO-R will hold some allure because of the main pool, "Ol' Man Island," which many people consider to be second only to the Yacht & Beach Club's pool as the best-themed Disney resort pool. But SSR's pool is pretty sweet, too.

If they're not driving, consider this: SSR has an awesome spa (something I bet your friend might enjoy), and if you get on the West Side, you could be walking distance to Disneyquest (which the 9-year old might really appreciate). I've stayed at PO-R and SSR, and have dined at Olivia's and looked around OKW. PO-R is my favorite moderate resort, but I've never seen PO-R's food court NOT crazy. SSR's was almost always not-too-busy when I've gone, PLUS you've got their restaurant which is almost hardly ever busy, AND you're so much closer to all of the restaurants DTD has to offer. And if your friend loves to shop, staying at SSR would probably be a no-brainer.

Finally (and this is based on my admittedly faulty memory), all 3 resorts have main pools and at least a few "quiet pools" without water slides. I know that, when I stayed at SSR, my quiet pool area also had a whirlpool spa next to it. I'm not sure if this means ALL the quiet pools have them, and I don't know if all the quiet pools in PO-R and OKW have spas at their quiet pool areas. I VAGUELY remember there NOT being a whirlpool at the quiet pool area I frequented last time I stayed in PO-R (in the Alligator Bayou section). I'm sure someone will confirm or refute my claim, but if SSR's quiet pools have whirlpool spas and the other's quiet pools don't, that might be a minor-but-contributing factor.

Even if I'm wrong though, I'll say between the 3, SSR would have my vote.

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

I vote POR!!!! Location is great...bus rides to all parks were surprisingly short (except AK).

POR has a sit-down restaurant, food court was great, boat to DTD, its a big resort...but not as HUGE as Saratoga Springs. The grounds are gorgeous, the rooms are a nice size with a fridge and very cute decor (in alligator bayou)...I'd rather save the money.. you only sleep and shower in the rooms, thats I how I see it.

I absolutely would recommend POR to anyone, I was truely impressed when i stayed there last year. I don't know the cost difference among POR, OKW and SSR, but I would think POR is cheapest since it is a moderate...and for the cost of POR, I think it is well-worth it. :wave:
I couldnt have said it better myself!! Great minds think alike :)!

Upvote 0

yankspy

OKW probably has the best restaurant, Olivia's. However, Saratoga is nice as well. I would say either of those. I have stayed at all three and I would take Saratoga.

Upvote 0

Unplugged

I've stayed at OKW & SSR. Here are some pros & cons IMHO:

• The dining at SSR is very good (the counter service and seated dining).
  • The walk from SSR to Downtown is nice, but can be a bit confusing at night due to the size. It's also easy to underestimate the time. Worst case, there's a boat.
  • SSR has movies nights (I forget which night) where they have a huge projection TV set up at the main pool with big speakers and play classic Disney movies while you play and splash. A nice touch.
  • OKW has a nice boat ride to DTD.
  • OKW has larger studios which can be helpful.
As others have said, all choices are nice and you're friend will have fun. If they like resort time to relax and wander downtown, for only 3 people I'd suggest SSR. The view of DTD over the lake is nice as well.

Upvote 0

dmperry134

Hi,

We are Disney vaction club members and our home resort is SSR, we have also stayed at POR a few times. SSR is huge and if your accomodation is not close to checkin area with the restaurants and main swimming pool it could be a long trek. POR is more homelier and a great resort and the themeing is fantastic. The restaurants and self service are far better than SSR, also the evening entertainment with Bob Jackson is fantastic. The bus services at POR seem to run more frequently than that of SSR, you can also get a riverboat ride to downtown Disney.

I do like both resorts but even though we are vacation club members POR is our favourite resort.
Cheers
Dave
Hagley
Worcestershire
UK

Upvote 0

redfive13

I couldnt have said it better myself!! Great minds think alike :)!

I agree! POR (Riverside) is one of my favorite resorts, but SS does look appealing. Just keep in mind that SS & OKW are DVC resorts. So the rooms should be bigger and have more bang for the buck. She can't go wrong with either of them!

Upvote 0

ryguy

If room size is not a big deal, POR is the best option for what your looking for. The food options are great, I think they have the best counter service options anywhere at wdw. Old key west is nice as well, the sit down restaurant is nice, but the counter service is just fair. SSR is the newest, but to me lacks charm. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom