Pop Century or All Stars?

fizzle75

Howdy folks. Long story short...due to financial struggles, my wife and I had decided we wouldn't be going back to WDW this year(we usually go twice each year) and would save money so we can definitely go next April for our 5th Anniversary. After much deliberation we also decided it would be in our best interest to sell our DVC membership at SSR and use the money to make a huge dent in our debt. We also own points at AKL Villas and we decided to keep them. In a few years, once we get out from under our debt, we plan on purchasing more points at either Bay Lake Tower or trying to find a good deal on used points at Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge.

ANYWAY...after even more deliberation and number crunching, we have decided that if our SSR points sell pretty soon(or at all) we are going to use enough of the money to go back to WDW again this year after all during the Free Dining promotion in September/October. The only way we can do it is if we do it on the cheap and stay at one of the Value Resorts. We have never stayed at either of the Values and have only stayed at one of the moderates(Caribbean Beach) and we don't quite know what to expect at the values.

My question is this...what are the pros and cons of both Pop and All Star?
Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter as long as we're in WDW, but I'm just curious about what I should expect since I'm used to staying at the nicer resorts. How is the bus service? How is the food court? How easily can you navigate through the resort?

Thanks in advance for your input! :wave:

WDW_Emily

i have stayed at both Pop and ALMu i'll start with pop

POP
Plus(+)
Better theming
Newer
Bigger
No shared Bus
3 pools(the main pool is usually loudest)
Minus(-)
At the end of the day, you can wait up to an hour in line for your bus(pop gets a HUGE line for the bus after the MK fireworks)
It's louder.

All Star
plus(+)
Movies at night time
Quieter
not more then a 30 minutes wait for buses(on busy nights)
Minus(-)
Needs updates
really close together
shared buses

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I've stayed at all 4 and I prefer Movies the most. I like the theming better than Pop, and the bar is MUCH better at Movies. The bar at Pop is set up poorly.

Upvote 0

addcogulf

I always stayed at deluxe resorts, and last year for the first time I stayed at Pop Century. I liked it very much. The bus service was great, the food court good for a quick bite, the pools were nice and the mousekeeping was fine. The only thing I would insist that you book would be a perferred room because unlike deluxe resorts, values are huge and the walking unbearable! Being in a perferred is a neccessity if you want to enjoy yourself because you will be near the buses, food, pools and main building because that is where you have to walk to every time you want to take a bus.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

i have stayed at both Pop and ALMu i'll start with pop

POP
Plus(+)
Better theming
Newer
Bigger
No shared Bus
3 pools(the main pool is usually loudest)
Minus(-)
At the end of the day, you can wait up to an hour in line for your bus(pop gets a HUGE line for the bus after the MK fireworks)
It's louder.

All Star
plus(+)
Movies at night time
Quieter
not more then a 30 minutes wait for buses(on busy nights)
Minus(-)
Needs updates
really close together
shared buses

Actually all the rooms have been updated... the rooms are now newer than Pop Century's!

And the sharing of busses doesn't happen very often. It's usually in the middle of the day or off times like that. Most often than not there is a dedicated bus for each AS resort.

I love AS Music! I'm sure all the resorts have their own little charms and people who like Pop are huge fans of the place. I like the slightly smaller resorts and the feeling that comes with them. We are on our third trip to AS Music this August and I can't wait.

Also AS Music has games by the pool in the afternoon... I'm not sure if the other resorts does this as well or not!?!

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I always stayed at deluxe resorts, and last year for the first time I stayed at Pop Century. I liked it very much. The bus service was great, the food court good for a quick bite, the pools were nice and the mousekeeping was fine. The only thing I would insist that you book would be a perferred room because unlike deluxe resorts, values are huge and the walking unbearable! Being in a perferred is a neccessity if you want to enjoy yourself because you will be near the buses, food, pools and main building because that is where you have to walk to every time you want to take a bus.

This is another plus for AS resorts actually. If you do end up in standard room location and you're in one of the furthest buildings from the lobby you're still not that far b/c the AS resorts are smaller resorts! So, if you can only afford standard room location or preferred is all sold out you might have a better chance at being closer to the main building at an AS resort!

Upvote 0

corey154

just remember if you're used to deluxe hotels...keep an open mind for value resorts.

My vote is for Pop.

I stayed at movies two weeks ago. the room was nice but the crowds were crazy, and we shared buses. we go about twice a year and switch between all the different kinds of hotels and out of value we personally think pop is the nicest. everyone has an opinion, so just research all the resorts to make the decision that's best for your family.

Upvote 0
We've stayed at all four of the value resorts multiple times, as we're not ones for ammenities when all we like to do is spend time at the parks. We don't utilize room service (except pizza delivery), we still have great pools, gift shop, food court, drink bar, free transp. to the parks, free gift delivery - everything included with the moderates and deluxe resorts.

Room size will be smaller and bathroom is tiny, but that's about it.

Positives and Negatives:

Sports: Theme is great. The millions of pre-teens and teenagers piling in for camps is NOT. Would never recommend staying here. Also the oldest of the 4 values and not always in the best shape. All Stars are by AK and furthest away from the three other parks.

Music: Always been one of my favorites - if you DO have to share a bus on the way back from the parks with Sports or Movie, you'll be dropped off second. Not horrible. Easy to navigate - stay in Calypso or Jazz...everything else is a bit far away. Love the theme especially the Broadway section. All Stars are by AK and furthest away from the three other parks.

Movies: Kids go crazy for it. Buzzlightyear, Woody, the dalmations - it's adorable and really fun to walk around. I find the layout a bit different, but it works. You'll be staying with families with little kids - could be a downfall if you're looking for some quiet and privacy. Kids fill the pools all day. Also last bus stop if you end up sharing a bus. But newest of theAll Stars and very fun. All Stars are by AK and furthest away from the three other parks.

POP: The very best, in my opinion. Central location, AMAZING bus system, great layout (if a little large), great pools, etc. You're to the parks so fast, it's fantastic.

None of them are elegant or classy, nor particualarly directed at adults, but they're fun, entertaining, and save you a LOT of money.

Enjoy choosing!!:wave:

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We have stayed at all the values and our favorite is PoP Century. The best thing about it is the buses. When they pull up to pick you up at the hotel, its empty. When we've stayed at the All Stars, we waited longer at the hotel for a bus and more times than not, it was full or almost full.

Of the All stars, I rank them in this order:

1. Movies
2. Music
3. Sports

Pop has a better food court and gift shop. I do recommend staying in a preferred room. It is worth the extra money because you could end up a long way from the lobby/bus area. Been there, done that!

We stay at the values, even before we had our son. It is a fun, relaxed atmosphere. We have gone to other hotels for dining reservations and to check it out. When we go through the lobbies of the deluxe resorts, we feel as if we are on a business trip in a stuffy hotel.

Pop is our home away from home. We love it and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else! :dazzle:

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

We have stayed at Pop a few times, AS sports a few times and AS movies a few times. My family absolutely LOVES Pop and when my son was little he loved staying in the Toy Story section of Movies. We didn't really like Sports because it was crawling with teenagers (cheerleaders) who were not really supervised and they were a little out of control. I would definately recommend Pop and AS movies, sports (not so much), and we have never stayed at music.

Upvote 0

mickey7879

For values, I've only stayed at 2 of the All-Starts. I liked Music better than Movies. But my MIL stayed at Pop one year and we visited her. From what we saw with the food court, we prefer how the All-Stars are set up better. But with Pop you get to have your own bus instead of having to share. Plus with this resort being newer, I'd think the rooms and grounds might be a little better too, not so run down looking.

Upvote 0

STLDisneyFan

We've stayed at All Star Movies and Music - I much preferred Movies! BUT Pop Century is my favorite! True , the busses always seem to be filled when staying at the All Stars, probably the worst downside. I love the theme at Pop ! In fact , even if I could stay at a nicer resort, I'd still pick Pop. I'm not going for the room when I go to WDW. If I want a great room/resort I'll save that for another destination!:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom