Pop Century or All Stars?

fizzle75

Howdy folks. Long story short...due to financial struggles, my wife and I had decided we wouldn't be going back to WDW this year(we usually go twice each year) and would save money so we can definitely go next April for our 5th Anniversary. After much deliberation we also decided it would be in our best interest to sell our DVC membership at SSR and use the money to make a huge dent in our debt. We also own points at AKL Villas and we decided to keep them. In a few years, once we get out from under our debt, we plan on purchasing more points at either Bay Lake Tower or trying to find a good deal on used points at Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge.

ANYWAY...after even more deliberation and number crunching, we have decided that if our SSR points sell pretty soon(or at all) we are going to use enough of the money to go back to WDW again this year after all during the Free Dining promotion in September/October. The only way we can do it is if we do it on the cheap and stay at one of the Value Resorts. We have never stayed at either of the Values and have only stayed at one of the moderates(Caribbean Beach) and we don't quite know what to expect at the values.

My question is this...what are the pros and cons of both Pop and All Star?
Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter as long as we're in WDW, but I'm just curious about what I should expect since I'm used to staying at the nicer resorts. How is the bus service? How is the food court? How easily can you navigate through the resort?

Thanks in advance for your input! :wave:

toystorymaniacs

We love the Pop, I've stayed at WL, The Contemporary, AKL, CBR, CS, POR, SSR, ASMU, and the Pop. Now, I'm not saying you won't miss somethings from the deluxes or DVC but it's still a Disney Resort. The cast members are outstanding, mousekeeping is great. The food court is actaully pretty good, a good variety of choices and a really big seating area. Bus service from the pop has actually been better than some of the other resorts I've stayed at. MY one complaint was two years ago we had a ground floor room in the 50's right in front of the bowling pin pool and it ws really loud at night. This year we've requested a 2nd or 3rd floor room. We talked about POR this year but couldn't justify the extra $ when we really do love the Pop.

Upvote 0

Bug715

I love Pop. My parents have DVC so I'm use to staying at either boardwalk or OKW but when my friends and I go we stay at Pop. I miss the microwave and fridge the most when I stay at value resorts but it's nice that you get mousekeeping everyday.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I'd suggest AS Music! I love that resort... it has a lovely feel to it and it's pretty quiet there as well. You do NOT have to share busses as often as most people say. Most times each AS resort has it's own bus and it's usually the middle of the day or off times that you have to share - no big deal! The rooms are recently renovated at AS Music and you don't hear much noise at all. We use to come back in the middle of the day for rest/nap and we never heard a thing (slept like babies)! They have a movie in the night time by the pool which is a nice little touch.

You will still have a lovely time at the "World" even in a value resort. I call AS Music "home" and I can't wait to be back there in Aug.!

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I am absolutely in love with Pop Century. The food court is awesome with a lot of variety, the bus service is great for what the bus service does (actually the buses were better here than when we stayed at Coronado) and I love the theme. It's a large resort, but it's quite easy to find your way around, and the walks to/from any building aren't bad at all. I'd say the only thing you'll really miss is the fridge/microwave, and possibly the larger bed unless you request a king room.
I've also stayed at ASMovies, and while I enjoyed it, Pop is head and shoulders above it for me and I will be there again this October. So if you can get into Pop for free dining, I highly recommend it.

I've got lots of pictures in my '08 and '09 links in my signature if you're interested. Happy planning! :wave:

Upvote 0

krankenstein

I've stayed at all four value resorts. I rank them like this:

1) Sports
2) Pop
3) Music
4) Movies

I simply prefer the layout and design of the rooms at Sports better when compared to Pop. Admittedly, Everything Pop is a lot better when compared to Sports setup, but the recent rehab on the rooms at Sports pushed it back on top to me. Music gets the nod for #3 because it is quiet and also recently had the rooms remolded. Movies is last because it attracts a lot of younger families with little kids and the rooms are the same since it opened. Plus, the layout at Movies is horrible, IMO.

BTW, I've never had to share a bus at any of the All Star Resorts.

Upvote 0

fosse76

I'd recommend Pop Century...but if you can't book that one then I'd go with All Star Movies...but make sure to request the Mighty Ducks building. It's the furthest away from the main building, but it's closer to the All Star Music's bus stop and food court. Not even rooms at ASMu are as close to that bus stop as are the Mighty Ducks buildings at ASMo. And I concur with someone above...the resorts didn't share a bus once. I assume they only share during the day when bus ridership is low.

Upvote 0

seast119

My family of four have stayed at both POP and All-Star resorts and IMOP we preferred the All-Stars. Although POP was nicely themed and newer, we found the bus service to be slower. We never had to wait long for a bus at ASMo, or ASSP. Honestly they are both wonderful places to stay. You won't go wrong with either one. Personally, I could just pitch a tent anywhere as long as I was in Disney World! Have a great trip!:)

Upvote 0

PixieMagicMom

I'll be staying at POP CENTURY from July 2nd and will be my first stay there. I've experienced the other AS resorts and they're just right for the value. I've had friends that stay at the POP and said it has their own transportation buses -they don't share the same buses the AS resorts do and you will definately avoid the crowd and wait you may experience at the AS resorts because they do share transportation at times.

The POP has a cute kiddie pool play area in the 50's section. Thought it's worth paying $45 more just to have a room nearest to the pool and lobby.

What you won't fnd at any other resort- the POP serves TV style dinners many will remember from back in the day As well as cool deserts and such as the flutternutter sandwich.

The POP is a short drive to EPCOT and MGM.

The POP goes all out with it's theme. Right now, it's known to be the biggest theme motel in the world. I do wish to see some changes in the resort itself in the near future as I feel there is plenty room and there are genius creative minds of Disney that can embellish and make some more accomodations about.

I've never heard any bad reviews from the POP, although I have read a few bad reviews, but same complaints you may read about any other resort -no biggie.

Upvote 0

SummerRses

I also love the Pop Century. We've stayed at all of the All Stars at least once, and a few of the moderate price Disney hotels, but Pop Century is our all time favorite. The food court does have a nice variety of choices, the castmembers are great, the mousekeeping is also wonderful, and the place itself is beautiful.

Upvote 0

Jaytrod

I usually go to the moderates myself as well, but I have stayed at both the all star and pop century and I found pop to be more enjoyable. It seemed less crowded, less noisy, and it's a bit newer than the all stars.. Other than that they are about the same.. I have heard that the bus lines and routes are shorter for pop , but I usually just drive myself to the parks to avoid the hassle of the busses so I wouldn't know about that.

Upvote 0

dznygirl64

Pop all the way,Never stay at All star sports it was the first All stars and it has the smallest food court.I would rank Sports as the worst resort on property.Good luck selling your DVC we looked into buying and found out how hard it is to sell someday and make your money back.Have you tried the Timeshare store?

Upvote 0

zachrupertdsn

Pop Century

My family and I have stayed at POP are last three trips and have enjoyed so much every time! Great layout, good food court, great themes, and the buses are the nicest ones I have ever had. The only problem is the eye sore across the lake.

Upvote 0

RobnRachal

Last time at POP was February 2007. ONLY complaint was the size....it's freakin' HUGE. Beautiful for walking around, but after a long day at the parks, it was torture walking back to your room.

That being said we are planning a visit to POP this December..:sohappy: We love the food court, and the unique food options, no other value resort has.

We've stayed at ASMu the last two visits and love it as well. Smaller in size, and a nice "quiet" sort of feel. Rooms are all reno-ed, so it's fresh and clean. We never had any issues that weren't easily rectified with a quick call to front desk. Good food choices, but smaller area. Love the movies at nighttime by the pool.

We chose POP for this trip, to change it up. Besides, we loved staying on the fourth floor, and we have great memories of fireworks off our balcony one night. Gonna be great to go back!!

Upvote 0

dave1105

We have stayed at both All-Star Movies and Pop. We preferred Pop, rooms seemed a little nicer/newer. The theming was good in both.

We went to All-Stars during Easter week a few years back and ours was a shared bus experience most of the time. There were alot of times that by the time the bus got to us (since Movies is last stop) the bus just came in and either didn't stop because it was so full or stopped and like maybe 5-6 folks wedged themselves in. On the way back most of the time there was a bus for each resort at least.

Maybe things have changed since then, but that made it so we just drive ourselves to the parks. But since we drive down that is a nice option for us. So if we want to make some stops on way back to resort we can.

If we were flying down and staying on-site I would stay at Pop and use the buses.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

We've stayed at both Pop and ASMu (suites) and enjoy both resorts. We stayed at ASMu this past March and only had to share a bus one time!! Bus pick-up spots at parks for ASMu are closer than Pop. Pop is a large resort and the wait for buses can be long when the place is full.

We like the feel of ASMu as it has more mature landscaping (trees) that are close to the buildings leading to some noise reduction. We stayed at the Jazz Inn over looking the piano pool from the corner of our balcony and did not experience any problems with noise. Mousekeeping was great, one day DS did not feel well and we asked that they hold off cleaning the suite and not to run the vacuum as he had a spliting headache, and they did without a problem. Later, that day they checked back with us to see if we needed anything and if the room was okay.

Loved the food courts at both, but the dining area at ASMu seemed to be much, much calmer. Now, granted the last trip to Pop was Dec 13-18 and Disney did an impromptu "free dining" that packed Pop. So between the loud piped in Christmas music and the screaming children on sugar rushes first thing in the morning - I enjoyed the dining area of ASMu better. The food court has basically the same choices in food. You can't beat the roast chicken or roast turkey dinner at ASMu. There are choices of food items, cereals, bread, milk, etc. at both resorts. Pop has them in the food court and ASMu has the section in shopping area. We're returning in Sept to ASMu suites with DH, DS, and DB for a weekend. I think you will be pleased with any of the resorts that you choose. Have a wonderful trip.

Upvote 0

redfive13

I say Pop Century. I feel that appeals to adults as well as kids, where as the All Star seem to lean much more for kid's taste. Also the Pop food court has Rainbow cheesecake!

Upvote 0

PixieMagicMom

My family and I have stayed at POP are last three trips and have enjoyed so much every time! Great layout, good food court, great themes, and the buses are the nicest ones I have ever had. The only problem is the eye sore across the lake.

I know what you mean :lol: -the eye sore. I'm sure Disney will do it's magic there.

I read somewhere [forgot] Pop Century will be redone and will include family suites -may be considered a moderate resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom