Poncho's, Poncho's everywhere..and let's not forget the itchy feet too! An August TR

Ponchos, Ponchos everywhere Updated 11/16

Welcome Welcome to my August 2011 trip Report... be warned.. U will get wet..you may even get soaked.. so grab your poncho and join us! ( read the Pre-Trip report here)

Trip dates: August 18-29 2011. Room only on August 18th, Free dining from 8/19-8/29

Resort~ Pop Century..my first time at a Value.. 2 rooms

Who? Well lets see we have:

ME: Alison..I turned 36 while in Disney. I have been a Disney fan my whole life. I could live in Disney. I made 2 Disney trips in 19 months in 1999 and 2000 then I shelved my Disney World dreams when I met my now husband and we had 3 kids in 3 years.Fast forward 10+ years and we were finally ready and able to take the plunge and take the 4 kids! I homeschool 3 of the 4 kids ( the oldest is graduated) plus I work a day job doing office type work for the family business and I bartend 2-4 nights a week at my best friends nightclub.

Eric: 39.. a now reformed Disney Skeptic. He was not thrilled with this trip in the planning and paying stage.. and even up til the we arrived stage. He only had 6 Flags to picture in his head what Disney might be like. Well let's just say if I had a nickel for each time he said "this place is awesome"( which was almost the trip report title BTW)..well I could buy us all AP's and go back again this year!

Noah: Turned 17 on this trip. Has been to WDW twice before..once at 4.5 and once at almost 6.5 ( for Christmas no less).. he was above all the most excited for this trip aside from myself.. he knew what to expect and he was giddy like a 6 year old school girl any time you mentioned the trip. Noah is currently a "sandwich artist" at Subway while he decide's what's next in his life! warning prone to extreme teenage mood swings!

Kate: 16.. Noah's girlfriend. nice girl.. but let's just say no girlfriends/boyfriends will ever be invited again!

Declan: 9.5 going on 90.. we always say he's an Old man trapped in a kids body. He was the kiddo I was most worried about at Disney as he has a tendency to suck the fun out of things. Declan tends to overthink, over worry and over control things. He's a fab kid, smarter than any 9.5 year old should be and is a great athlete. He was super excited to go to Disney but due to his issues with the unknown he had a giant knot in his tummy too!

Jadziah: 7 almost 8.. she is by far my most even tempered kiddo. She was giddy and unworried about the trip. She required a disney shirt for each day we were there and yes..she got them..lol hey it pays to be the only girl outta 4 kids right? ( oh JahD Zee Uh like in Star Trek Deep Space nine.. yes I named my daughter after a character in a TV show..I'm a star trek nut and proud of it)

Taejan: 5 almost 6 ( as in he turns 6 a mere 3 days after we left Disney). There are few words to accurately describe Taejan ( Tay-Gin we made this one up). He has the best personality, is beyond outgoing.. vocal and full of love and life.. he's also a putz.. a VERY small but BIg putz.. no is just a word he laughs at.. he made the trip very stressful at times..but oh well..such is life. he also was the catalyst for many of the great "awwwww moments" on this trip as well!

Elaine AKA Gigi: My mother.. she has also been to WDW 2 other times ( with Noah and I). She was a great help with the 3 younger kiddo's and she fully enjoyed her time at Disney with us. She did NOT like the heat ( but then again which one of us did???)

So there's the cast of this mighty adventure.. coming up.. the "pre disney" part of the trip!

Alison1975

Original Poster
oh wow, that boy has good taste! I hope she appreciates that!!! And didn't even think that they would sell that in other places around this area. :hammer:

Yeah he does have good taste..and she didn't appreciate it at all.. brat. How many then 16 year olds would spend their hard earned money on a dress for their girlfriend>?? grrr.. he got it at a store at the mall that sells a mishmash of stuff.

PartOfYourWorld

Yeah he does have good taste..and she didn't appreciate it at all.. brat. How many then 16 year olds would spend their hard earned money on a dress for their girlfriend>?? grrr.. he got it at a store at the mall that sells a mishmash of stuff.

Wow, how can she not appreciate a gift from her boyfriend??? I hope she at least appreciated that you took her along for the trip, but I'm not so sure she did with all the drama I've read about her in the report!

Alison1975

Original Poster
Wow, how can she not appreciate a gift from her boyfriend??? I hope she at least appreciated that you took her along for the trip, but I'm not so sure she did with all the drama I've read about her in the report!

yeah no I really don't think she did..becaues it was not her fault we had drama afterall.. ugh

Alison1975

Original Poster
Hurricane Irene

So by Thursday night we were starting to worry about Irene.. I was worried about the drive, worried about my mom, Noah and Kate's flight.. about the Warners who would be leaving and pretty much driving up the coast right behind it.

Also we had had a bad storm a few weeks before the trip that resulted in a leader from our maple tree smashing out storage shed to bits. So I was slightly worried more of the same would happen.

In between our activities on Friday I made calls and sent texts to friends. We have this awesome huge sunroom off our kitchen that we use for a school room. Thing is this room is also in the crush zone if the tree falls. I had a great friend go and move ALL my school stuff into my living room. I have thousands of $$ worth of stuff I couldn't risk losing. I also had friends come double check on my kitties and make sure all my windows and such were closed. They also stowed our tables, chairs, toys, bball hoop..basically anything that the storm could stir up and send flying. HUGE thanks to all our friends who helped us.

We did have some damage when we came home.. more of the tree had fallen.. so we made plans to have the whole thing removed.. they did that 2.5 weeks ago..no more worry about the beast of a tree! We had "water front" property for about 10 days after Irene ( our side lawn flooded..but is about 8 feet below the house so no water in the house).

We had some issues on the drive home..but Noah, my mom and Kate had not even a delay in their flight home..so that was perfect!

I must say.. while we were on vacation we had a tornado back home, an earthquake that was felt back home and a hurricane.. seriously??

Alison1975

Original Poster
Day 9~ Another Animal Kingdom day!

So Friday the 26th was a "free" day. Since Hoop Dee Doo had used up 2 meal credits ( and that was OK by us..lol) we had no meal plans for this day. We had decided the night before we all wanted another day in Animal Kingdom .

We woke early and headed out.. we got there just minutes after it opened. The kids took a few minutes to check out the different creatures the CM's had:

117_3712.jpg

Noah and Kate went towards Nemo and we went off to Camp Minnie Mickey. What I was unaware of was they had a separate rope for that area..lol. We waited with 2 very nice CM's. Once the area opened we went right to The Festival of the Lion King. We parked the stroller, got in line and not to much longer we were in the theater.

We went in and sat down. About 3 minutes later a CM came up to us, asked us how many we had ( 6) and asked if we wanted to have front row seats. Of course we moved!

The kids fully enjoyed the hand jive learning. Then once the show started my rather shy and quiet husband got picked to do the animal noise!! I was dieing.. this man of mine is not an out of the house talker. ( we are exact opposites). I thought Declan was going to fall off the bench laughing!

117_3714.jpg

117_3715.jpg

The 3 kids were picked ( but Ziah is like daddy and is shy so she didn't go) to be part of the show:
117_3720.jpg

117_3724.jpg

117_3725.jpg

We loved the show ( of course).. Just another thing my husband said "this place is awesome" about!!

Up next.. guitar Dan sings the Taejan song!

Alison1975

Original Poster
Guitar Dan sings the Taejan song..

After we exited the Lion King we did saw Character's in Camp Minnie Mickey. Since we had already eaten with the Fab 5 3 times we didn't have to see them..lol

Taejan LOVES Thumper..like scary loves Thumper..and who happened to be out, with a short line AND his women?? Yep.. I had some happy kids! We waited in line.. waited while they went and got some "carrot juice" and then they finally got to meet them!

117_3726.jpg

Next we headed to Chip and Dale.. they had a little longer line and they needed to go grab an acorn smoothie. While we waited Guitar Dan sang a great song about Taejan ( who was in a little mood at first). I so wish I had recorded it..but sadly I didn't once take out the camcorder this time ( bad mommy I know).

117_3727.jpg

117_3728.jpg

Photo0500FourBySix.jpg

As we were leaving the area we noticed characters in the old theater area..tons of characters..3 people ..score..

Rafiki... he def was in character.. it was amusing!
117_3729.jpg

Taejan wanted nothing to do with this guy..
117_3730.jpg

Taejan took one look at Pocahontas and his eyes got about 3times their normal size..yep he's ALL boy ( and he doesn't care for blondes .. just brunettes):
117_3732.jpg

Brer Bear was being...well himself and being rather rascally .,.lol
117_3733.jpg

As we left that area they were moving Chip and Dale and we got to see them again..
117_3734.jpg

By this point we were all starving and our next task was FOOD!

PolynesianPrincess

As we left that area they were moving Chip and Dale and we got to see them again..
117_3734.jpg

By this point we were all starving and our next task was FOOD![/COLOR][/FONT]

I love this picture!! Soo cute!! Sometimes the characters are just over the top awesome. We always have such good luck with Chip N Dale. They're always so interactive and great! :)

Alison1975

Original Poster
I love this picture!! Soo cute!! Sometimes the characters are just over the top awesome. We always have such good luck with Chip N Dale. They're always so interactive and great! :)

Yep..we only had one "bad" interaction..first night.. Chef Mickey's..other than that wehad good, really good, and awesomely amazing!

lbrad

Still reading too ... love all the pictures & smiles!!!

What awesome friends you have back home... to look after your home!!!
You are one special person !!!:wave:

Alison1975

Original Poster
Runaway Scooter

No one else was with us. The Sweeners had planned a no park day, and dinner at Downtown with the Warners. This was the Warners last day in the parks and they were in Epcot then meeting up with the Sweeners for dinner. Missy and Don still had no wallet. They had filed a Police report, called their bank and had their debit card cancelled. They are like us and have no credit cards. Luckily they travel with travelers checks so lost only the $100 that was in the wallet. Sadly they lost their ID's and that made cashing travelers checks rather hard.Plus you can only do $200 a day..well that wasn't going to cover their expenses and gas.. ack. Disney was..well Disney and they were able to cash more and Disney was just amazing!

So anyway.. we were in AK alone... Noah and Kate were where ever they were..and we needed to eat. No sit down meal planned for today means more counter service. We were right near Pizzafari so we went in.
117_3735.jpg

I was pretty sure there wasn't anything I could eat. Luckily they had the Chicken Caesar Salad. I had eaten a lot of these on this trip. I just ask for it with no croutons.. of course this time I get a CM that worries I have an allergy ( which I do but I try to not have to order special) and it gets stamped and yelled back to the kitchen..lol! it was all good though. We all ate and felt better!

We all wanted to go on the safari again...so off we went. Now here is when i say I had the point and shoot..because it was supposed to rain today.. did it rain? NOPE.. gorgeous sunny DRY day.. not even very humid.. I can't win I swear..lol.

I sat on the right side this time and got a better view of the animals and sights on that side!

117_3736.jpg

117_3738.jpg

117_3740.jpg

The Lions were not even visible this trip.. kinda disappointing .. oh well..can't win em all right?

Next up? We took the train over to Rafiki's Planet Watch. I am still amused that after some 17+ trips to Disney in 18 years my best friend has yet to take her kids over here. Mine loved the place!

117_3741.jpg

Pocahontas was over here but since we had met her in Camp Minnie Mickey we opted to just smile and move on. We did , however meet Jiminy Cricket:
117_3742.jpg

We explored inside.. I loved that not much has changed since I was last there in 2000...lol

After that we went to the petting area.. the kids loved this but it was so hot and sunny the sheep stayed under the little shaded area:
117_3743.jpg

117_3744.jpg

Then we went to the little shopping area..the kids were looking around when all of a sudden some guy in a scooter SLAMMED into a rack , nearly knocked it over and did knock Taejan over. Stuff flew off the shelves, and what did he do? He just finished plowing thru and went on his way.. JERK.. that was MY 5 year old you just took out... grrr. The CM's were very nice and Taejan was fine. We finished looking around, donated some money to their conservation fund then headed on our way. I wanted to be sure the scooter man was long gone~.

Alison1975

Original Poster
Kali Bound

After Rafiki's we headed over to Kali...

117_3745.jpg

The wait was about 30 minutes, which was fine. We parked the stroller and started into the queue.. unfortunetly next to us the entire way was a mom and 3 very obnoxious pre-teen and teen boys.. slapping, kicking, hitting, punching their entire way thru the dang line. The mother was either oblivious or..well something I can't and won't say here. It was VERY frustrating but such is life.

117_3746.jpg

117_3747.jpg

117_3748.jpg

Taejan was trying so hard to be a good boy.. he did really well considering the example he was witnessing from the punks in front of us in line.
117_3749.jpg

Thank Goodness we didn't end up in a raft with them.. we had a really nice family that we chatted with. I forgot how short this ride is. We have a raft ride at our 6 Flags that is much longer and we get much wetter on. Not one of us 6 got more than barely wet..but it was a good ride. I had left my back pack in the stroller so I was anxious to get back and make sure it was still there. It was!

The only other item on our AK checklist was Flights of Wonder. I called Noah and told him and Kate to meet us there as once that was over we were leaving.

I must say up front I hate birds..like bad hate birds. Actually I am not an animal person in general. I don't ever want to pass my issues on to my kids so I "suffer" thru a lot of shows, adventures, zoo's etc so they won't be like I am..lol. Declan also hates birds..so neither of us wanted to be here..but we did it!

This one loves animals.. and birds..and was very happy to be here!
117_3753.jpg

117_3756.jpg

This is def a must see show.. even if only once. We say it 2 or 3 times over the 2 other Disney trips we took.

117_3762.jpg

117_3766.jpg

Now on to the fiasco that was us trying to get out of the park.

I need to start by saying at this point on the trip I was pretty much spent.. kids are kids and they don't always make things easy..lol add in a husband who rarely makes things easy and ughh. On the way out of the park Declan wanted frozen lemonade..he was addicted. I wanted out..as the parade was due any minute. Well Declan spotted someone with a lemonade..asked where they got it and of course it was by the Safari. So despite my saying please no..they took off after some. My mom, Ziah, Taejan and I stayed by the store. Well on came the parade.. and cut off from each other we sure did end up.

I spent so much time in the store with the kids because it was HOT and no one wanted to watch the parade. I had no cell reception so I couldn't just tell Eric and Declan to meet us at the resort. I also had told Noah and Kate to meet us at the exit but now my cell wasn't working so i couldn't tell them we were delayed. I was actually REALLY miffed at this point. My mother was hot and very tired too. I tried to get us some iced coffee but they cart's register was down. whaaa!!!

I tried to watch the parade..but I just didn't care..lol
117_3769.jpg

Finally the parade is over.. Eric and Declan made it back to us..and guess what.. the cart had sold out of the dang frozen lemonade so all that for nothing. Now we headed out of the park..along with 100000 other people. double grrr. We grabbed Noah and Kate and got into a now longish line for a bus.

Up next cruel cruel Disney!

Alison1975

Original Poster
part 2

This is when one of the cruelest things ever happened. A bus pulled up, unloaded people then left.. changed it signs and left..whaaa..mean mean mean..lol

We finally made it back to Pop. When we walked in our TV was on. I was like humm. I am a rather "green" person so I made sure every morning the AC temp was up and everything else was off. Well this is what we see on the bed:
Apparently the stuffed creatures had wanted to watch some Disney Channel!
117_3771.jpg

We took the kids to swim, I did laundry and then we ate at the foodcourt. After dinner we had a few Sweener kiddo's over to play!
117_3772.jpg

117_3773.jpg

117_3776.jpg

and thus ends another day in Disney!

Disneydreamer23

how long did you guys go for and im suprised u didnt get very wet on the ride in asia we went in sept and i was dripping wet for so long i bought clothes i get very uncompfortable when im wet!

Alison1975

Original Poster
how long did you guys go for and im suprised u didnt get very wet on the ride in asia we went in sept and i was dripping wet for so long i bought clothes i get very uncompfortable when im wet!

We were there for 11 full days..10 in the parks... and yeah..I was kinda bummed we didn't get wet on Kali..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom