Polynesian Refurb

tikiman

Planning a trip either the last week of october or first week of november 2013 does anyone forsee any problems with construction during that time period?

If they stay on schedule they should be done with all the longhouses by October. There has been talk about them doing some major work around the pool area at the end of Summer and going by what I keep hearing I think there is a 50% chance something will be going on with that in August-October.

rkelly42

Thanks tiki, might forgo Polynesian this year then. Planning Halloween week and kids will be disappointed if pool is down.

tikiman

Thanks tiki, might forgo Polynesian this year then. Planning Halloween week and kids will be disappointed if pool is down.

That makes sense. I keep hearing the pool stuff might be delayed but to be honest I expect to see something going on at the Polynesian for the next few years with the work on the GCH happining at some point and eventually work will start on the DVC. I don't mind going when that stuff is going on because I like to check it out but I know most don't want construction disrupting their trip.

I will say they try not to have anything happening during the October to December time frame because it is such a popular time to go. Same can be said for the time around 4th of July.

WarEagle64

I noticed just now that 'Ohana isn't listed on the Disney dining website. I was checking on a reservation for my stay coming up in September. Any particular reason or just a computer glitch?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Haven't they upgraded most of the rooms in the last decade?
According to the @tikiman website, it looks like they started a major room rehab in 2005, with most being done in 2006. His site also mentions a 2010 room rehab, which I assume was minor. Perhaps just swapping out existing furnishings with identical items, keeping the same decor intact, but I'm not positive. I stayed there in January 2010 and again in February 2011 but didn't notice anything different with the room, which happened to be the exact same room both times.

@tikiman, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Also, any word if the current rehab is still going according to the schedule on your site? I'll be staying at the Poly at the end of June and requested Tokelau, so just wondering if there's any chance the rehab could have an impact on my request.

tikiman

According to the @tikiman website, it looks like they started a major room rehab in 2005, with most being done in 2006. His site also mentions a 2010 room rehab, which I assume was minor. Perhaps just swapping out existing furnishings with identical items, keeping the same decor intact, but I'm not positive. I stayed there in January 2010 and again in February 2011 but didn't notice anything different with the room, which happened to be the exact same room both times.

@tikiman, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Also, any word if the current rehab is still going according to the schedule on your site? I'll be staying at the Poly at the end of June and requested Tokelau, so just wondering if there's any chance the rehab could have an impact on my request.

The last major room redesign happened in 2005 and they actually did not finish all the rooms completely until 2008 due to some of the handmade stuff coming from Thailand not being finished on time. In between then and now they have had some room touchup and then in 2010-2011 they had a hardgoods replacement (meaning they replaced things that were damaged. The new room design started this January and if they stick to their schedule should be done around September. As of today 4 longhouses are closed with Hawaii and Samoa due to open in the next week or so. There is a report that Hawaii may open early this week. 7 Longhouses have not started work yet.
Hopefully Tokelau will be done in June. Going off the original schedule they were going to take 2 full months to do Tokelau and it starts the last day of March so that puts them at the last day of May and since it is the largest building I would not be surprised if they run over a bit. If you’re the end of June you should be find. Only other problem is there are going to be a lot of requests for it once it is back open.

tikiman

The first guests should check into Hawaii tomorrow.

Seems that this should be in Resorts instead of Rumors since the new rooms is not a rumor.

2000ashton

Hi. This is my first time posting on this forum! I can across this thread as I was searching for more information about the schedule of renovations for the Polynesian. We are set to check in on May 21st. Last spring we stayed at the Polynesian for the first time and loved it. We stayed at Rarotonga and enjoyed its proximity to the Great Ceremonial House. We would like to stay there again, but I am not sure whether it will be closed then. How would I find out and when is the best time to request a specific longhouse? Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The last major room redesign happened in 2005 and they actually did not finish all the rooms completely until 2008 due to some of the handmade stuff coming from Thailand not being finished on time. In between then and now they have had some room touchup and then in 2010-2011 they had a hardgoods replacement (meaning they replaced things that were damaged. The new room design started this January and if they stick to their schedule should be done around September. As of today 4 longhouses are closed with Hawaii and Samoa due to open in the next week or so. There is a report that Hawaii may open early this week. 7 Longhouses have not started work yet.
Hopefully Tokelau will be done in June. Going off the original schedule they were going to take 2 full months to do Tokelau and it starts the last day of March so that puts them at the last day of May and since it is the largest building I would not be surprised if they run over a bit. If you’re the end of June you should be find. Only other problem is there are going to be a lot of requests for it once it is back open.
Three years? Talk about your slow boat from China!

rkelly42

Ok, after talking about it we have decided to stay at the poly either the last week of oct or first week of nov. Taking a chance that there will not be any major refurb going on at the time but still can not resist my favorite resort. At the moment we are leaning towards tahiti longhouse.

tikiman

Hi. This is my first time posting on this forum! I can across this thread as I was searching for more information about the schedule of renovations for the Polynesian. We are set to check in on May 21st. Last spring we stayed at the Polynesian for the first time and loved it. We stayed at Rarotonga and enjoyed its proximity to the Great Ceremonial House. We would like to stay there again, but I am not sure whether it will be closed then. How would I find out and when is the best time to request a specific longhouse? Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot!

Here is the schedule for when each longhouse closes for work to be done.
Hawaii January 6
Samoa February 3
Niue/ Rarotonga March 3
Tokelau March 31
Aotearoa April 21
Tonga (lounge only but will be closed) May 5
Fiji May 19
Tuvalu June 16
Tahiti July 14
Rapa Nui August 11

They originally scheduled Rarotonga to be down 2 months so it should be done by the end of May. THe best way to put in a request is with your original reservation or go back to who did your reservation and have it noted. Also the online check in will allow you to note requests.

2000ashton

Thank you for your information. I enjoy your website as well! Looks like we may not get the chance to stay at Rarotonga again this time. I know we will enjoy our stay no matter which longhouse we end up in! Maybe I will try for Samoa!

MarciaJean

Anyone have any information/pics on the newly renovated Hawaii building to share ? Checking in in less than 50 days :)

Stayed in the Hawaii building the first week it reopened. They did a nice job on refurb. However they did repurpose some of the furniture. Bathroom was brought up to date and now has two sinks instead of one.

Tom

Beta Return
Stayed in the Hawaii building the first week it reopened. They did a nice job on refurb. However they did repurpose some of the furniture. Bathroom was brought up to date and now has two sinks instead of one.

Yeah, the blueprints showed them reusing almost all the fixtures and furnishings, with some being re-finished.

The double sink inn the bethrooms is a huge plus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom