Poly or Contemporary

mike45248

I have reservations for next year for the family(Me,Wife,DS6and DD3) to stay at POP. I am wanting to stay closer to MK for our trip, and since we will be spending most of the time at this park. I am trying to decide either Poly (and which loghouse)or the Contemporary (Wing or tower). Any help would be appreciated.

HollyBelle

We stayed at the Contemporary in a tower room (Bay Lake view) on our last trip and absolutely loved it. If convenience to the Magic Kingdom is first and foremost for your family, you'll love the (very) short walk from the Contemporary lobby over to the MK entrance. And then you can hop on the monorail on your way out of the Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary is the first stop!!! It doesn't get much better than that.

That being said, I've never had the pleasure of staying at the Polynesian but I love the ambience the resort offers. You really can't go wrong.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

This is a question that may help the OP. I'd pick the CR over the Poly any day of the week. However, how noisy is the CR with Chef Mickey's and the monorail?

Upvote 0

coltow

And I'd pick Poly over CR any day of the week. CR just seems so cold, loud and busy to me. Poly sems relaxing and easy going.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

And I'd pick Poly over CR any day of the week. CR just seems so cold, loud and busy to me. Poly sems relaxing and easy going.

Agreed. We've stayed at both and CR was just that: loud, (mainly due to construction noise, though) cold, and theme-less. The Poly is pure heaven.

Upvote 0

Harptattoo

The Poly is awesome! I never stayed at the Contemporary but I find it a bit colder than the Poly. The Contemporary has seen more TLC lately but I just can't get passed coming home from a long day at the parks and walking the torch lit paths with the sound of pacific island music in your ears, you just can't beat it! My vote is for the POLY!!! There is another thread about this in the archive. It was posted back in November 21, 2008.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I've never stayed at the Poly but I have stayed in a tower room at CR. We were on the 6th floor (the lowest w/guest rooms) directly above the monorail near the elevators. I don't recall hearing Chef Mickeys while in our room so the noise associated wasn't a problem for us. I was aware when the monorail passed under us because I could feel it and maybe hear a slight hum or whoosh but it wasn't bothersome. It never kept me awake or anything. I found it comforting more than anything. If convenience to the MK is paramount I would very much recommend CR. Like another poster stated, the short walk over to the gates is so wonderful. When it's time to return to the resort you just hop the resort monorail and the 1st stop is home. We loved it! In fact, our next trip will be back home at the Contemporary!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Pens24

The poly is the better hotel...I haven't stayed at the CR but I have been in it and it is a loud and rather busy and the poly is a quiet relaxing hotel

Upvote 0

EPCOT Explorer

Poly...It has that classy Disney Vacation ambiance to me.:eek::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

*wants o go to WDW BAD...can you tell?*:lookaroun

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

The poly is the better hotel...I haven't stayed at the CR but I have been in it and it is a loud and rather busy and the poly is a quiet relaxing hotel

I've been in the Poly's Great Ceremonial House when it was a zoo also. I don't think that really represents a stay at that hotel. When we stayed at CR we were on the lowest floor where guest rooms are located and near the elevators and didn't hear a fraction of the noise we did at POP or POFQ ground floor. :wave:

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

I think both hotels are really great for different reasons. But with kids your age, I would definitely go for Poly. You're still on the monorail line, and the theme is just more exciting (I fell in love with the hotel when I was 3, and the volcano pool is so much fun!)

Upvote 0

HollyBelle

I know sweetpee already addressed this, but I'll also say that noise at the Contemporary was not a factor for us whatsoever. We, too, have experienced more noise at the values and moderates.

I guess what it really comes down to is what you are looking for for this particular trip. I agree that the theming is more immersive and the pool is better at the Poly (plus Ohana and Kona are two of my very favorite restaurants on property), but I believe the OP mentioned proximity to and convenience of accessing the MK. And on that alone, I think the Contemporary is the better choice. Plus, if staying on budget is important, you could probably save a little money by staying in the wing, and still enjoy the short walk to the Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

I'm with the POLY votes. I've stayed at both. Your kids will love the beach area sand and the pool is amazing. You will truly feel relaxed and away from the world here. Yes- you can walk into the MK from CR- but will you really??? There is also an amazing view of the fireworks from the beach area at Poly. You have the option of the boats or monorail to the MK. You'd still be so close.

Upvote 0

scheat

Just got back from the CR two weeks ago. The CR in a Tower room with a MK view is something I would hope that everyone could do at least once in their lives. Cinderella's Castle, Wishes, or Holiday Wishes every night from the balcony of your room is pretty special if you're going there mainly to visit MK.

OTOH, IMHO, the Poly is also awesome with super theming, and I would choose Poly over CR if I couldn't get a MK view room.

I believe you mentioned that the MK is where you'll be spending most of your time, so my vote(money aside) is for CR with a MK view room. If you do book at CR in the tower, ask for as high a room as possible-we were on the 7th floor in November and had no real issues with noise, but I would think the higher the better.

One other thing about CR that I noticed in the tower-When everyone was asleep and it was very quiet in the room, I could just barely feel(hear?) when the monorail came through the atrium-not annoying at all-very cool and I'd fall asleep knowing I was at WDW and not in my own bed. Anyone else notice that?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom