Poll: Is Galaxy’s Edge Great(and a success)?

Is Galaxy’s Edge Great (and a success)?

• Yes to both

Votes: 54 32.5%
  • No to both

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Yes to great, no to success

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • No to great, yes to success

Votes: 53 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
If something is great and a success one commonly doesn't need to ask if it is. 😉

'Is Michael Jordan great at playing basketball?'
'Is Apple a succesful company?'
I just wanted to see what people thought on here because they speak so poorly of an addition that is obviously great. People speak so poorly of it because they have extreme prejudice towards the sequel trilogy, which clouds their judgement of Galaxy's Edge as a theme park attraction, that is not meant to pander to, as Imagineer Chris Beatty put it, "It can't just be Star Wars for 45 year old fans."

UNCgolf

I just wanted to see what people thought on here because they speak so poorly of an addition that is obviously great. People speak so poorly of it because they have extreme prejudice towards the sequel trilogy, which clouds their judgement of Galaxy's Edge as a theme park attraction, that is not meant to pander to, as Imagineer Chris Beatty put it, "It can't just be Star Wars for 45 year old fans."

It's not obviously great; that's the whole point.

It has one good attraction and one bad one, and several additional experiences that require paying extra money. It's certainly not bad, and is 10000x better than TSL next door, but it's pretty disappointing compared to what Universal did for HP.

Mr. Tux

Original Poster

It has one good attraction and one bad one, and several additional experiences that require paying extra money. It's certainly not bad, and is 10000x better than TSL next door, but it's pretty disappointing compared to what Universal did for HP.
It is great, it was made for the general public, not oldschool Star Wars fans as I clearly stated above. I believe a "good" attraction is a tad bit of an understatement, Smugglers' Run is quite entertaining, it just had the unfair role of being a secondary attraction when nothing else was open during the land's beginning, getting guests to pay extra is just business, and HP's layout is far from movie accurate, the land has no timeline making things confusing, Butterbeer is just cream soda, and the main ride there is just a catch all of notable locations around and in Hogwarts.

MaryJaneP

Maybe Disney should try to hire, from UO, the excellent storytellers who designed HP land, and task them to plus GE. Nah, it'd cost too much in salary and capex. No to both.

J4546

It has one good attraction and one bad one, and several additional experiences that require paying extra money. It's certainly not bad, and is 10000x better than TSL next door, but it's pretty disappointing compared to what Universal did for H
lol I feel the same way as you but opposite. HP has 1 good ride and one bad one where I am (CA) the major ride makes me sick but I do appreciate it, and the other ride is a barnstormer like coaster....pretty underwhelming. I think the 2 rides in GE are much better than what HP has (again im in CA) and they are both full of shopping. The food in HP is great, Ill give it that.

and both lands have additional experiences requiring extra money.

UNCgolf

It is great, it was made for the general public, not oldschool Star Wars fans as I clearly stated above. I believe a "good" attraction is a tad bit of an understatement, Smugglers' Run is quite entertaining, it just had the unfair role of being a secondary attraction when nothing else was open during the land's beginning, getting guests to pay extra is just business, and HP's layout is far from movie accurate, the land has no timeline making things confusing, Butterbeer is just cream soda, and the main ride there is just a catch all of notable locations around and in Hogwarts.

Smuggler's Run is terrible; it's a really bad video game in a great setting. It would work better as a Millennium Falcon walkthrough.

If you're arguing that Galaxy's Edge is better than Diagon Alley, well, of course it's a subjective opinion that you're free to have but I think you're pretty clearly in a tiny minority there.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

lol I feel the same way as you but opposite. HP has 1 good ride and one bad one where I am (CA) the major ride makes me sick but I do appreciate it, and the other ride is a barnstormer like coaster....pretty underwhelming. I think the 2 rides in GE are much better than what HP has (again im in CA) and they are both full of shopping. The food in HP is great, Ill give it that.

and both lands have additional experiences requiring extra money.

Diagon Alley doesn't exist in California, right? That's the really impressive HP land. Hogsmeade is just okay (and I'm not a fan of Forbidden Journey).

_caleb

Diagon Alley doesn't exist in California, right? That's the really impressive HP land. Hogsmeade is just okay (and I'm not a fan of Forbidden Journey).
I agree. Diagon Alley is really well done. It feels large, but intimate. Lots of details to explore, and some quieter corners (Knockturn Alley, sometimes). The immersion is fantastic.

Casper Gutman

I like Force Awakens and really REALLY like Last Jedi and think Battuu is just good, not great, so your theory doesn’t seem to hold. It can’t begin to compete with the HP lands - the only thing Disney has built stateside that can is still Cars Land.

Your complaints about Potter point to why it works so well - the HP lands were constructed as excellent LANDS, not appendices to a film series. They don’t obsess over canon, they obsess over rich thematic detail and an impeccable use of space.

There’s a lot wrong with SWL, but two big things spring to mind. It lacks a sense of awe -there’s no big reveal, something comparable to stepping out of the tunnels into Diagon or creating the hill and first spotting the Tree of Life in AK. Secondly, and more significantly, the area within the land isn’t delineated well - it all fuses together into an in distinct tan and brown mass. With one exception - the Falcon courtyard - It’s all just “SWL.” Diagon, in contrast, is stuffed full of distinct, clearly themed locations, from the large covered arcade to the evil alley to each of the individual shops. It’s a masterclass in defining locations.

TrainsOfDisney

Maybe Disney should try to hire, from UO, the excellent storytellers who designed HP land, and task them to plus GE. Nah, it'd cost too much in salary and capex. No to both.
Scott Trowbridge was the lead for Galaxy’s Edge, he designed arguably the best theme park ride universal ever built.

erasure fan1

Your complaints about Potter point to why it works so well - the HP lands were constructed as excellent LANDS, not appendices to a film series. They don’t obsess over canon, they obsess over rich thematic detail and an impeccable use of space.
100% right. This has been my argument from the start. A Star wars land should be a celebration of everything people love about the franchise. Not one narrow timeframe that hogties your ability to be creative. You have one fantastic star wars moment in the land, and that's the falcon reveal. And that just isn't enough.

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
I like Force Awakens and really REALLY like Last Jedi and think Battuu is just good, not great, so your theory doesn’t seem to hold. It can’t begin to compete with the HP lands - the only thing Disney has built stateside that can is still Cars Land.

There’s a lot wrong with SWL, but two big things spring to mind. It lacks a sense of awe -there’s no big reveal, something comparable to stepping out of the tunnels into Diagon or creating the hill and first spotting the Tree of Life in AK. Secondly, and more significantly, the area within the land isn’t delineated well - it all fuses together into an in distinct tan and brown mass. With one exception - the Falcon courtyard - It’s all just “SWL.” Diagon, in contrast, is stuffed full of distinct, clearly themed locations, from the large covered arcade to the evil alley to each of the individual shops. It’s a masterclass in defining locations.
While I agree with you that GE lacks the grand reveal that HP has, the area is overall better than HP because your argument about Harry Potter being well detailed, and GE not, is false. While both areas have a significant amounts of detail, HP forgets to cover up its backstage as seen in the photo. Furthermore, your claim that GE just turns into a giant, tan mass in some places, doesn’t hold up as it’s clear that the garage is a garage, the bazaar is a bazaar, and the garrison is a garrison. I don’t know where you got the idea that GE is not very well detailed, but it clearly is with its extensive rock work, its buildings that look clearly like they have aged, the carbon scoring on the x-wing’s engines, the droid and alien tracks in the pavement, and the multiple life like animatronics. Most people here don’t like GE because it’s not Original trilogy, it’s the sequels. You don’t like it (as do many others) because it’s very different from most Disney areas because it doesn’t replicate something that we have actually seen before, breaks a lot of Disney theme park norms, and is closer to a universal area than anything else Disney has.

Attachments

• 492C505F-AE7B-4F28-856E-49585177E6DD.jpeg
    492C505F-AE7B-4F28-856E-49585177E6DD.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 59

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
Also the matter of a land having a timeline is not because I care that it’s a supplement to a movie series, it’s that I care about the land’s story. If HP is that hyperdetailed (which I’ve visited), it should have a specific moment in time as well. And for the record, Diagon Alley in Orlando is set during the events of the Deathly Hallows.

OG Runner

I think Galaxy's Edge is very good to great. Walking in and seeing the Millenium Falcon is very very cool. The area itself puts you
into just about any of the Star Wars movies for atmosphere. I think they could use more character interactions, but that could still
be coming, as Covid gets more into the rearview.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom