Poll: Is Galaxy’s Edge Great(and a success)?

Is Galaxy’s Edge Great (and a success)?

• Yes to both

Votes: 54 32.5%
  • No to both

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Yes to great, no to success

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • No to great, yes to success

Votes: 53 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UNCgolf

But Universal are busy building their third attempt, and I suspect GE will result in a Potter land that is on a scale we've yet to see - so I'm ready to be blown away again!

I think it will be incredibly difficult for the HP land at EU to be as good as Diagon Alley. Not just because Diagon Alley is so good, but because they don't really have a comparable location to use. The Ministry of Magic seems like the only real option, but I don't think that has the same appeal as Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Plus, if they base it off the Fantastic Beasts series (as was rumored at one point) then it has an even bigger hill to climb.

If they were smart, they'd just make it Hogwarts. The castle interior and the grounds. The fact that they already have a Hogwarts facade at USO shouldn't matter.

UpAllNight

I think it will be incredibly difficult for the HP land at EU to be as good as Diagon Alley. Not just because Diagon Alley is so good, but because they don't really have a comparable location to use. The Ministry of Magic seems like the only real option, but I don't think that has the same appeal as Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Plus, if they base it off the Fantastic Beasts series (as was rumored at one point) then it has an even bigger hill to climb.

If they were smart, they'd just make it Hogwarts. The castle interior and the grounds. The fact that they already have a Hogwarts facade at USO shouldn't matter.

Ministry has huge potential, but yeah I guess the rest of the land has the risk of being a little unrelatable. I'd expect Universal to get over this by upping the "magic factor" and interactivity

FutureCEO

I said not great but a success:

1. Rise is an incredible experience, but has major issues that keep it from working consistently. That needs to be addressed.
2. As many have said, more walk around characters would be an easy improvement. It would add the kinetic energy that seems missing.
3. Smugglers was a big miss for me. Unless you are the pilot the story wants you to spend time staring at flashing buttons and you miss 90% of what is happening outside. Boo to that...
4. I think if the sequel trilogy was a success all the way through (looking at you, Rise of Skywalker) then the land would play out differently. Yes, they made money but those movies were such an inconsistent mess of a story that they became a hot mess towards the end. I can't help but feel that colors how many view the land.

I think by adding walk around characters, a sit down restaurant, and an additional ride would go a long way. And maybe a ride/experience for the smallest Star Wars fans would be a win.

Rise of Skywalker was the 3rd in a string of bad films. The whole Disney series was basically following the original. Except for Mary Poppins Leia.

If it wasn't for Rise, it would be underwhelming in totality given the expectations - but that ride is strong enough to get it over the top as a success....along with smaller wins like the falcon, cantina, workshop, and some little details.

I know it saved a ton of money, but it was a big miss to do an exact copy in WDW/DL. What a great opportunity to draw guests to both parks, if Disneyland had more classic, perhaps Tatooine, land - with Vader, Han. etc walking around.

EPCOTCenterLover

This is directed toward anyone- I don't care about the timeline at all. Bring in Kylo Ren and Darth Vader. Keep them separate if you want, but I wish the land was designed to showcase any of the characters from all the movies. Heck, bring Star Tours into the land and make the entrance look like a travel port. The more attractions to spread out the crowds the better.

Aries1975

Last trip Jan 2021, of 3 days reserved for DHS, we only won the 7am lottery once resulting in a full on rush to get there within our “window“. We wasted part of our time in Oga’s stressing over the 1pm drop to receive a boarding group called after we needed to leave for dinner. Third shot, ride was not functioning after being called and having to wait from Muppets through the tunnel.

My tribe enjoyed Smugglers Run and went on several times.

Oga’s needs food, not just string cheese. Didn’t get to either quick serve. Both blue and green milk are gross.

Not great, because we didn’t ride after getting up “early” on vacation. But obviously successful, because I blew 3 days at DHS.

bhg469

Last trip Jan 2021, of 3 days reserved for DHS, we only won the 7am lottery once resulting in a full on rush to get there within our “window“. We wasted part of our time in Oga’s stressing over the 1pm drop to receive a boarding group called after we needed to leave for dinner. Third shot, ride was not functioning after being called and having to wait from Muppets through the tunnel.

Oga’s needs food, not just string cheese. Didn’t get to either quick serve. Both blue and green milk are gross.

Not great, because we didn’t ride after getting up “early” on vacation. But obviously successful, because I blew 3 days at DHS.
The problem with ogas is they want you gone. Actual food would ensure that you're there longer.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

The Blue and Green milk need to be reformulated. The Blue milk is not bad but the Green milk is not very palatable. Don't know who or what composed the taste test panel for the Blue / Green milk products, but a new panel is needed. One with actual functional taste buds.

bhg469

Ogas is a short term, come in, savor, take a pic or two, then "move along". There is not enough space for hanging out and eating actual meals. Hence the real need for an actual themed restaurant on Batuu.
I completely agree. Thats why the food and cocktails are so underwhelming. I could make a direct comparison to Cava de Tequila. When they moved to completely pre mixed drinks, it was a huge step back.

OG Runner

Yes. A sit down, full-on themed restaurant with a dinner show would be a tremendous enhancement to Batuu. Have characters drift through periodically and interact with the guests on occasion. Should not have to go on the Star Cruiser for that.

I agree. Does anyone remember Dreamfinder walking around EPCOT? Use the same idea, but with the Mandalorian with Grogu.
It could be done. It would also be a huge attraction.

OG Runner

The Blue and Green milk need to be reformulated. The Blue milk is not bad but the Green milk is not very palatable. Don't know who or what composed the taste test panel for the Blue / Green milk products, but a new panel is needed. One with actual functional taste buds.

That is because Blue milk is from the original trilogy and Green milk is from the last trilogy. 😃

ChrisM

I was well prepared to hate both, but was really surprised. I thought blue milk was great and green was still very good. Both even better with booze.

They're no butterbeer....but not much can be.

OG Runner

I was well prepared to hate both, but was really surprised. I thought blue milk was great and green was still very good. Both even better with booze.

They're no butterbeer....but not much can be.

You are never going to get a buzz from butterbeer. :D

DisneyfanMA

There’s a lot more shops than one or two. But more importantly a significant portion of the land is devoted to extra paid offerings in the light saber and droid builds. Which reflects the biggest issue that a lot of space was allocated to extra ways to make money (though oddly not a table service restaurant) and “free” stuff like streetmosphere was cut.

The bones for an outstanding land are there. They need the cut entertainment, a sit down, and at least one more attraction (ideally one more ride and a show). Like much of what Disney has done in recent years, they’ve missed out on the complimentary features that “round out” a land.

Again perhaps its my "meh" bias to Star Wars, and also maybe I'm a simpleton....But the interactive stuff where you buy a light saber and then go around interacting etc doesn't appeal to me or my family at all. Seems too complicated and more money to spend. As joe average visitor, I would MUCH rather complimentary entertainment, a sitdown restaurant and 1 more ride (even a kiddie ride would be OK) then extra shops and little interactive games and treasure hunts and quests. I feel like the latter appeals only to the most hardcore fans and people with a lot of time and money to visit the parks often. The last thing we are doing is scavenger hunts while we visit. Our time is precious and we plan to spend it on the big stuff.

OG Runner

Again perhaps its my "meh" bias to Star Wars, and also maybe I'm a simpleton....But the interactive stuff where you buy a light saber and then go around interacting etc doesn't appeal to me or my family at all. Seems too complicated and more money to spend. As joe average visitor, I would MUCH rather complimentary entertainment, a sitdown restaurant and 1 more ride (even a kiddie ride would be OK) then extra shops and little interactive games and treasure hunts and quests. I feel like the latter appeals only to the most hardcore fans and people with a lot of time and money to visit the parks often. The last thing we are doing is scavenger hunts while we visit. Our time is precious and we plan to spend it on the big stuff.

You do realize they sell wands at Universal to use for interactive activities?

bhg469

IMO the Kim possible/platypus game at world showcase was one of the coolest interactive things that they have ever done. The pirate's adventure at MK is pretty close but obviously much smaller. Some people enjoy the parks as attractions themselves. The rides are great but you miss out on so much if you don't explore them.

doctornick

It’s amazing to me how they botched the milk up so badly. They needed that to be a cant miss food item that the vast majority of people loved and… it’s not. I really don’t understand it. Ironically the rest of the food in GE is quite good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom