Please explain the Tiki Room

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's a room. There's audioanimatronic tikis in it. All the birds sing, and the flowers croon. It's a tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki room.

Its a room with feather-covered objects that move by pneumatic actuators while a soundtrack filled with stereotypical geographic characters attempt to amuse you with several songs. Oh never mind the words, you hear more clacking than tweeting.

WDWVolFan

I have been to WDW only 6 times, and though we waited in line once, we
have never been to the Tiki Room. Could someone give me an idea of what
the attraction entails? I am interested, and want to know if it is worth making
a conscious decision not to miss it next time.
You’ll only know if you walk through the doors into the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room, in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room, in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

thomas998

I replied to the OP. Then realized I went back in time to 2005. What am I doing? I deleted the post.
You would think that after a certain time period maybe say 1 year of no new posts that the moderators would have the common sense to lock a thread so it doesn't turn into a zombie thread the keeps rising from the dead for no apparent reason. Unless this is a sport... Maybe we should start trolling the oldest parts of the forum and try to revive long dead threads.

JoeCamel

You would think that after a certain time period maybe say 1 year of no new posts that the moderators would have the common sense to lock a thread so it doesn't turn into a zombie thread the keeps rising from the dead for no apparent reason. Unless this is a sport... Maybe we should start trolling the oldest parts of the forum and try to revive long dead threads.
Noooooo, spaceship earth girl.......

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

The Mom

Premium Member

Common sense? Maybe. The time to go through 1000s of posts and lock them all? Um, no. This whole forum is just a hobby.

The rules already address bumping old threads, so anyone who does so is in violation and can have posting privileges suspended or removed.

JohnD

i don’t mind thread bumps from time to time but maybe set an algorithm to prevent replies to accounts with posts 1 year or older.

JohnD

Common sense? Maybe. The time to go through 1000s of posts and lock them all? Um, no. This whole forum is just a hobby.

The rules already address bumping old threads, so anyone who does so is in violation and can have posting privileges suspended or removed.

Just set an algorithm for 1 year or older. No need to go through threads.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Some emphasis on the important part of that sentence...

thomas998

Only problem is the rule tells people not to bump them unless they have something to add. Which creates a problem since most anyone replying to a post is likely to be adding something they feel meets that criteria. I think the suggestion that after 6 months of no new activity an auto lock would solve the problem. The only problem then is when someone brings up an old topic and is then attacked by users for not knowing the topic had been addressed years ago, which sometimes happens.

The Mom

Premium Member
Only problem is the rule tells people not to bump them unless they have something to add. Which creates a problem since most anyone replying to a post is likely to be adding something they feel meets that criteria. I think the suggestion that after 6 months of no new activity an auto lock would solve the problem. The only problem then is when someone brings up an old topic and is then attacked by users for not knowing the topic had been addressed years ago, which sometimes happens.
6. Do not bump threads unless you have something else to add to the discussion. Additionally, replying to discussions which have been inactive for several months or longer should be avoided unless you have something of value to add.

Disneyfreak Jen

How is it set-up? Do you sit in seats similar to the Country Bear Jamboree
or is it done some other way?
Similar, but the seats are surrounding around the birds, who are in the middle of the theatre. (Kinda like a boxing ring). It’s a cute show I always go multiple times in my trips

JustAFan

Its a room with feather-covered objects that move by pneumatic actuators while a soundtrack filled with stereotypical geographic characters attempt to amuse you with several songs. Oh never mind the words, you hear more clacking than tweeting.
I'm going to need you to explain more things at WDW in this style. Spaceship Earth? Journy Into Imagination with Figment? It's A Small World? Peter Pan's Flight? Splash Mountain? I look forward to your responses. :D

Disstevefan1

Thanks, those links definitely answered a lot of questions.
I think they could turn this "attraction" into a sit down restaurant and
still have the show. They would have twice the use for the same space.

A sit down restaurant with the tiki birds was Walt’s original idea. This is a fun, seated, air conditioned attraction. You must experience it at least once. Who knows, these days it may be deemed racist for some (yet unknown) reason and will be forced to close.

jloucks

You touch on all sorts of stuff that when you think about it, are challenging to fathom.

First, there are lots of times when bringing up an old thread makes sense. I disagree we need to go all totalitarian on how we react to the occasional, and I mean very occasional, old thread popup. I find almost all thread necromancy at worst funny, at best informative. I never find it annoying, at least not at the volume we experience here.

Second, attacks by users on other users asking a question for the umpteenth time. So what? Why do folks care how many times a question is asked? Many of those questions are by noobs who are helping keep this place vibrant and alive? All questions are an opportunity to help somebody out, why weasel out of it by chastising them? Super easy solution here,,, answer the question, don't answer the question, or if you want to be a little cheeky (but not a jerk), answer the question and then also post some links to the question previously answered. Chastising somebody is just being a dolt due to the simplicity of just ignoring the question or just, you know, answering the question.

Third, this whole place is voluntary. Being here is voluntary. Every thread somebody opens, they do so voluntarily. Taking times to bluster and fuss about a thread is voluntary. I don't see why we need to burden the mods, or even ourselves, just because some folks cannot control themselves enough to stay out of threads they don't like.

Seriously, why do people click on threads and then complain? It is like slapping yourself in the face and blaming somebody else.

Dont....click.....the.......link/thread. <---the solver of all problems right there. EasyPeasy.

HA! Which I just did myself. I am a bit of a hypocrite I guess :p

thomas998

You touch on all sorts of stuff that when you think about it, are challenging to fathom.

First, there are lots of times when bringing up an old thread makes sense. I disagree we need to go all totalitarian on how we react to the occasional, and I mean very occasional, old thread popup. I find almost all thread necromancy at worst funny, at best informative. I never find it annoying, at least not at the volume we experience here.

Second, attacks by users on other users asking a question for the umpteenth time. So what? Why do folks care how many times a question is asked? Many of those questions are by noobs who are helping keep this place vibrant and alive? All questions are an opportunity to help somebody out, why weasel out of it by chastising them? Super easy solution here,,, answer the question, don't answer the question, or if you want to be a little cheeky (but not a jerk), answer the question and then also post some links to the question previously answered. Chastising somebody is just being a dolt due to the simplicity of just ignoring the question or just, you know, answering the question.

Third, this whole place is voluntary. Being here is voluntary. Every thread somebody opens, they do so voluntarily. Taking times to bluster and fuss about a thread is voluntary. I don't see why we need to burden the mods, or even ourselves, just because some folks cannot control themselves enough to stay out of threads they don't like.

Seriously, why do people click on threads and then complain? It is like slapping yourself in the face and blaming somebody else.

Dont....click.....the.......link/thread. <---the solver of all problems right there. EasyPeasy.

HA! Which I just did myself. I am a bit of a hypocrite I guess :p
I would agree that most old zombie threads back from the dead can still serve a purpose... it's really only the rare thread about some now nonexistent attraction or park rule that might really justifiable be locked to simply avoid confusion. I can only imagine some poor rube reading about the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride and then finding out when they get to MK that it hasn't been around for decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom