marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
“Rule Britannia
Britannia Rules the waves…”

590A6E4F-CFFA-499D-88B7-AA9614B9BCC9.jpeg

Now, back to the topic…

Diamond Dot

Great start, love how far we're coming in this discussion. People being past the point of caring if they offend other people is literally the point I'm trying to address, but go off.

First and foremost, this has relatively nothing to do with anything I posted. You think the acronym is too much of a mouthful? Cool. I don't know if you know this or not, but I didn't come up with it myself. The LGBTQIA2S+ Community is so multifaceted, I could think of about 4 more letters off of the top of my head that we could add to the acronym to make it even longer. I'd take the time to explain what each letter means and why it deserves its place, but you've already said that you don't really care, so I'm not going to waste any more of my time. I will tell you though, the world will never slow down for those unwilling to educate themselves. Abinaza, enjoy your ignorance. (Ignorance as in it's definition, not as the insult thrown around carelessly.)

I agree with almost everything you said here. While I might fight to be heard on an online forum, I would never show up to someplace like Disney and try to get away with a ridiculous t-shirt that does nothing but make me look like an ***. There was already too much of that going on when I worked in Magic Kingdom back in 2010. I've seen awful designs trying to promote every message possible, and I think it's a huge issue that Disney should be taking more seriously. Glad we could find some common ground. :)
As the proud niece of a trans woman who had to deal with so much hate when she became her true self in the 1970s and had to take so much bigotry, especially from her own family including from my rather horrible homophobic racist mother (her sister in law) I fully support the LGBTQ movement, but, all of life is multifaceted, but, why do we now need to give ourselves labels, not just in this community, but, in every aspect of life, parents want to give their kids labels, why? We are all one label, sapiens. I'm a dedicated crazy cat lady, I love the blooming things from little bitty kitties to the magnificent tiger, some of my shirts feature cats, especially the Disney ones, but, it's not a label I give myself, I could call myself a member of the CCCMLOL (Crazy Cat Crafting Mad Little Old Lady) community, because there are plenty like me out there and we get plenty of jokes about us, not to mention being a 'boomer' But, i am not a label, I am a person.
Anyway I digress. One good thing about having a horrible mother like mine, it taught me to be the total opposite to what she is and that's a good thing.

I also remember my mother saying terrible things about Terrence Higgins when he died, they grew up on the same road as children and that was another lesson in how poisonous it is to hate someone just because you have no understanding of how we are all different or, as I prefer, unique.

Pepper's Ghost

Requesting Thread deletion. It appears that my question has caused problems with the admins. I do not want problems.
Question answered, based on general member behavior :(. I do not wish to make a problem WORSE :(.
To change the topic again (pun intended), I found it curious that the OP would change their thread starting post, and subject to "Please Delete". This thread would never get deleted on this forum. I've seen them lock threads, delete policy-breaking posts or just pure nastiness from some individuals, but to expect them to delete the thread means that you haven't been paying attention to the discussion in this thread. These "mods" moderate. They don't dictate or we'd have to call them ****. Oh wait, these boards will block that word. 🤣

That said, I think deleting/altering the original post and subject is a bit of an overreaction. I'm not trying to be mean to the OP. Please don't take it that way. I just found it strange to do that.

Again, props to the mods who have allowed a good discussion to move forward without being heavy handed. That's how I know this forum is based in England. Folks in the U.S. can't accept criticism anymore, and definitely don't like or accept discussion they don't agree with. Btw, I too never took notice of the "MADE IN ENGLAND" at the bottom of the page. Who pays attention to the details like that anyway? 🤣 I'm not sure if it's an insult or compliment, but I just assumed it was U.S. based and never had any reason to think differently. If any of our British friends take offense to that statement, I understand and apologize. After knowing now, some things do make a bit more sense. 😁

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I think part of the problem is going on a WDW board and asking a question runs a high risk of sarcastic or gloomy responses. It puts people off from engaging. Try making a new account to ask a question about Genie, resorts, VQ, park hours, or food budgets. Surely it results with someone coming along to pee in the cornflakes. If you’re lucky it won’t end up in an aggressive debate.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I think part of the problem is going on a WDW board and asking a question runs a high risk of sarcastic or gloomy responses. It puts people off from engaging. Try making a new account to ask a question about Genie, resorts, VQ, park hours, or food budgets. Surely it results with someone coming along to pee in the cornflakes. If you’re lucky it won’t end up in an aggressive debate.

I think that comes with the territory of how the post is also worded, too. There's the overly dramatic posts from said OP that leads into that OP never coming back after the post has been made. Why should anyone give them an actual response if they're never gonna come back to read it, or the response they are given doesnt fall in line with what they wanna hear?

Oddysey

As the proud niece of a trans woman who had to deal with so much hate when she became her true self in the 1970s and had to take so much bigotry, especially from her own family including from my rather horrible homophobic racist mother (her sister in law) I fully support the LGBTQ movement, but, all of life is multifaceted, but, why do we now need to give ourselves labels, not just in this community, but, in every aspect of life, parents want to give their kids labels, why? We are all one label, **** sapiens. I'm a dedicated crazy cat lady, I love the blooming things from little bitty kitties to the magnificent tiger, some of my shirts feature cats, especially the Disney ones, but, it's not a label I give myself, I could call myself a member of the CCCMLOL (Crazy Cat Crafting Mad Little Old Lady) community, because there are plenty like me out there and we get plenty of jokes about us, not to mention being a 'boomer' But, i am not a label, I am a person.
Anyway I digress. One good thing about having a horrible mother like mine, it taught me to be the total opposite to what she is and that's a good thing.

I also remember my mother saying terrible things about Terrence Higgins when he died, they grew up on the same road as children and that was another lesson in how poisonous it is to hate someone just because you have no understanding of how we are all different or, as I prefer, unique.

First of all I lean conservative, and despite the labels that placed on being conservative I love homosexual and heterosexual people just the same. In fact, I couldn’t care less who you are attracted to or what you choose to do in your personal life. Really another persons sexual preferences are none of my business. I understand that the gay community has fought an uphill battle for equal treatment for a long time, and unacceptable things have been done to gay people by truly hateful people for many many years. Simply for being different from the majority and that is wrong. However, I think a significantly larger percentage of the population are much more accepting of gay people than what national media outlets and social media platforms lead us to believe. I think there is a broader agenda at play to keep us at each other’s throats in order to maintain power/control. But that’s another beer.

That said, I agree with your sentiment on labels. I think placing people in groups is inherently divisive, and taps into a strong innate human instinct that leads directly to tribalism. Instead of focusing on what makes us different as people, I wish we would put more emphasis on what makes us similar. Giving people labels cultivates an “us”versus “them” attitude instead of just focusing on the fact that there is just “us.” We are all humans with variations in our personal preferences, but in the vast majority of cases we have more in common than we do not. We are human.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom