Please delete.

Diamond Dot

Sure.

There is a big issue regarding Homophobia on this site right now. Sure, it's impacting the entire world, but we're discussing these boards currently. There is a group of members that have made it their mission to constantly bring up their outrage with Disney for finally putting their money where their mouth is and supporting the LGBTQIA+ community. It's taken over many threads, the majority of which had nothing to do with Queer rights until it was brought up and forced into the conversation in a negative connotation. For a while, there was a solid group of members working together to combat this, but the over-policing, and treatment as if both sides of the argument are wrong has caused the majority to just give up. I understand people can have differing opinions, and there can be civilized discussions working through that. But very few conversations on the subject have been civilized, and this isn't a subject where both sides can be right. One side is legitimately grounded in hate, and is actively trying to make the other feel less than, and like they don't deserve a place in this world. If you actively work to remove someone else's seat from the table, you forfeit your own. Disney has chosen to take a side in this "debate," to the point where they have upgraded their core business values to showcase inclusivity. It's part of the company now, and we deserve to be able to celebrate that, while other's need to accept that. Just last night a thread was taken down celebrating the fact that the Purple Wall in Tomorrrowland received a rainbow update. Every thread celebrating anything with Queer Inclusivity vanishes because a select subset can't handle that the world is changing and that their hatred no longer has a place in it.

Speaking to my other point, just look at the Epcot sub-forum. Do people have the right to be upset that their favorite park from their childhood is changing? Absolutely. Do they have the right to attack and mock people for being actively excited for the changes? Absolutely not. Do those posts gets edited and removed like anything supporting LGBTQIA rights? Mysteriously not. 🤔 I have seen some pretty cruel posts from "insiders" completely mocking other posters go untouched because of their status as an insider. That's pure favoritism, and something I'm not really interested in participating with anymore.

I think the Mods have become pretty transparent in where their beliefs lie, and they have no problem using their power to enforce what they want to. 🤷‍♂️
I'm going to say how I feel and if it offends then I really am past caring. First of all, can you please stop adding letters to the LGBTQ, I have no idea what the IA is and I don't really care, can everyone please be straight , gay, lesbian, bi and/or trans and leave it at that, if being something other than any of these is what you want then carry on, but, you are muddying everything, I even heard a news anchor say LGBTQIA2S, the last meaning 2 spirits :confused:. Disney is place to be the real you, a happy gay or straight couple or family, a happy straight or gay solo guest all enjoying a lovely day out. Disney is not a place to protest or campaign be it religious, sexual or political, keep the T-shirts to funny or cute or showing your love for a specific character, attraction or movie. I'm sick to death of seeing religious T-shirts with hidden homophobic messages, I'm an Atheist who can google bible verses you know. I saw far too many 'Let's Go Brandon' which is a code for disgusting political message. At the same time I didn't appreciate the man wearing a 'Bless Your Bigoted Hide' T-shirt. My view on rainbows is thatI would rather it be used as a message for inclusivity, not just for the LGBTQ community, but, for all of us no matter our colour, what I find odd is the Christians who get upset about their symbol of a genocide being used by those who use it to promote love and equality, rainbows are beautiful and colourful and brighten up the purple wall, love is for everyone.
Oh well, I suppose this will last two minutes on here and then get taken down.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm going to say how I feel and if it offends then I really am past caring. First of all, can you please stop adding letters to the LGBTQ, I have no idea what the IA is and I don't really care, can everyone please be straight , gay, lesbian, bi and/or trans and leave it at that, if being something other than any of these is what you want then carry on, but, you are muddying everything, I even heard a news anchor say LGBTQIA2S, the last meaning 2 spirits :confused:. Disney is place to be the real you, a happy gay or straight couple or family, a happy straight or gay solo guest all enjoying a lovely day out. Disney is not a place to protest or campaign be it religious, sexual or political, keep the T-shirts to funny or cute or showing your love for a specific character, attraction or movie. I'm sick to death of seeing religious T-shirts with hidden homophobic messages, I'm an Atheist who can google bible verses you know. I saw far too many 'Let's Go Brandon' which is a code for disgusting political message. At the same time I didn't appreciate the man wearing a 'Bless Your Bigoted Hide' T-shirt. My view on rainbows is thatI would rather it be used as a message for inclusivity, not just for the LGBTQ community, but, for all of us no matter our colour, what I find odd is the Christians who get upset about their symbol of a genocide being used by those who use it to promote love and equality, rainbows are beautiful and colourful and brighten up the purple wall, love is for everyone.
I agree with everything you say…

…except dump the custom T-shirts…they’re weird.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm going to say how I feel and if it offends then I really am past caring. First of all, can you please stop adding letters to the LGBTQ, I have no idea what the IA is and I don't really care, can everyone please be straight , gay, lesbian, bi and/or trans and leave it at that, if being something other than any of these is what you want then carry on, but, you are muddying everything, I even heard a news anchor say LGBTQIA2S, the last meaning 2 spirits
I'll let them know your disapproval at the next meeting.

Diamond Dot

I agree with everything you say…

…except dump the custom T-shirts…they’re weird.
I make my own T-shirts for my trips, but, I know exactly what you mean. the one I think is the daftest is 'Most Expensive Day Ever!' usually worn by a chap, it makes me wonder how cheap their wedding day was. I also don't approve of T-shirts with the kid's names on them, that is a security risk, a person seeing a child on their own could come up and say 'Austin/ Megan pr name inserted. Your Mommy sent me to fetch you, you'd better come with me' and the child may think that because they knew their name it's okay.

Diamond Dot

I'll let them know your disapproval at the next meeting.
I got kicked of a certain other message board for saying stuff that was harmless, I think they got fed up of sending me warnings.
Although Ido think my permanent expulsion from Twitter for calling Tomi Lahren a 'bimbo' and refusing to apologise is a badge of honour.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I make my own T-shirts for my trips, but, I know exactly what you mean. the one I think is the daftest is 'Most Expensive Day Ever!' usually worn by a chap, it makes me wonder how cheap their wedding day was. I also don't approve of T-shirts with the kid's names on them, that is a security risk, a person seeing a child on their own could come up and say 'Austin/ Megan pr name inserted. Your Mommy sent me to fetch you, you'd better come with me' and the child may think that because they knew their name it's okay.
There’s about a billion of those now…

I also just don’t get why everyone has to wear the same shirt? Like I understand it for a baseball team…but standing in a park taking pictures you have to match?

Nobody is Surprised that the people are related…:didn’t need the T-shirts to confirm it 😂

Stupido

I'm going to say how I feel and if it offends then I really am past caring.
Great start, love how far we're coming in this discussion. People being past the point of caring if they offend other people is literally the point I'm trying to address, but go off.
First of all, can you please stop adding letters to the LGBTQ, I have no idea what the IA is and I don't really care, can everyone please be straight , gay, lesbian, bi and/or trans and leave it at that, if being something other than any of these is what you want then carry on, but, you are muddying everything, I even heard a news anchor say LGBTQIA2S, the last meaning 2 spirits :confused:.

First and foremost, this has relatively nothing to do with anything I posted. You think the acronym is too much of a mouthful? Cool. I don't know if you know this or not, but I didn't come up with it myself. The LGBTQIA2S+ Community is so multifaceted, I could think of about 4 more letters off of the top of my head that we could add to the acronym to make it even longer. I'd take the time to explain what each letter means and why it deserves its place, but you've already said that you don't really care, so I'm not going to waste any more of my time. I will tell you though, the world will never slow down for those unwilling to educate themselves. Abinaza, enjoy your ignorance. (Ignorance as in it's definition, not as the insult thrown around carelessly.)

Disney is place to be the real you, a happy gay or straight couple or family, a happy straight or gay solo guest all enjoying a lovely day out. Disney is not a place to protest or campaign be it religious, sexual or political, keep the T-shirts to funny or cute or showing your love for a specific character, attraction or movie. I'm sick to death of seeing religious T-shirts with hidden homophobic messages, I'm an Atheist who can google bible verses you know. I saw far too many 'Let's Go Brandon' which is a code for disgusting political message. At the same time I didn't appreciate the man wearing a 'Bless Your Bigoted Hide' T-shirt. My view on rainbows is thatI would rather it be used as a message for inclusivity, not just for the LGBTQ community, but, for all of us no matter our colour, what I find odd is the Christians who get upset about their symbol of a genocide being used by those who use it to promote love and equality, rainbows are beautiful and colourful and brighten up the purple wall, love is for everyone.
I agree with almost everything you said here. While I might fight to be heard on an online forum, I would never show up to someplace like Disney and try to get away with a ridiculous t-shirt that does nothing but make me look like an . There was already too much of that going on when I worked in Magic Kingdom back in 2010. I've seen awful designs trying to promote every message possible, and I think it's a huge issue that Disney should be taking more seriously. Glad we could find some common ground. :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think we’re starting to bury the lead on the focus on labels…as opposed to just treating everyone as a varied individual 1 on 1

There’s a strength in group identity…and a danger in default group think

Just as there’s importance to recognizing our mistakes in history…without believing we can fully account for them today. It doesn’t work that way.

Better to move forward using the wisdom of what was wrong than screaming about what isn’t perfect today…yet

Last edited:

kingdead

No opinions on any issue here, just the observation that the conflict itself makes me less likely to want to put down money for what's supposed to be an enjoyable trip. If I wanted to watch identities clash, I could use social media for free.

(Anecdotally: my circle of friends is more liberal, and wouldn't go to Disney World because they're convinced Florida is full of racist yokels. I assume that the sentiment is the same on the other side, and conservatives feel that the park itself is about to turn their kids into little Mickey themed leather daddies and queens. Not what Disney wants, I'm guessing, but unfortunately more of what they're going to get.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No opinions on any issue here, just the observation that the conflict itself makes me less likely to want to put down money for what's supposed to be an enjoyable trip. If I wanted to watch identities clash, I could use social media for free.

(Anecdotally: my circle of friends is more liberal, and wouldn't go to Disney World because they're convinced Florida is full of racist yokels. I assume that the sentiment is the same on the other side, and conservatives feel that the park itself is about to turn their kids into little Mickey themed leather daddies and queens. Not what Disney wants, I'm guessing, but unfortunately more of what they're going to get.)
…you’re not wrong…

Stupido

you are quickly becoming the problem and not the solution with this intolerance

"I have no idea what X is, and I don't care to know"

That is ignorance, in its purest definition. I even made it a point to say I didn't mean the word as the supercharged insult it has become recently, it's truly just the definition. Like I said in my post, I would be happy to engage with a conversation that was based in sharing knowledge and moving the discussion forward, but this particular user openly admitted to having no desire to better understand anything, and flat out said it's wrong because they didn't understand it. That is ignorance. 🤷‍♂️

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
A little more tolerance and a lot less judging would go a long way toward improving things. People are different; they enjoy different things and express themselves in different ways. If it's not hurting you, smile and move on.
I think the internet in itself has a lot to answer for. Everybody has an opinion and have to share it. If you disagree with something said you can just move on and ignore it . You don't need to post a retort or answer back.

Laketravis

"I have no idea what X is, and I don't care to know"

That is ignorance, in its purest definition. I even made it a point to say I didn't mean the word as the supercharged insult it has become recently, it's truly just the definition. Like I said in my post, I would be happy to engage with a conversation that was based in sharing knowledge and moving the discussion forward, but this particular user openly admitted to having no desire to better understand anything, and flat out said it's wrong because they didn't understand it. That is ignorance. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose it could also mean someone would prefer not being forced to have a conversation they have no interest in and then be insulted because they feel that way or because they "don't want to have a better understanding".

Ignorance? No. Lack of interest or opinion one way or another? Most likely.

Chi84

Premium Member
I suppose it could also mean someone would prefer not being forced to have a conversation they have no interest in and then be insulted because they feel that way or because they "don't want to have a better understanding".

Ignorance? No. Lack of interest or opinion one way or another? Most likely.
That's a hard position to defend when someone voluntarily enters a conversation and posts that they don't want to understand something and don't care if their lack of understanding/interest offends others. That kind of shows the exact opposite of a "lack of interest or opinion one way or another." Am I missing something here?

Laketravis

That's a hard position to defend when someone voluntarily enters a conversation and posts that they don't want to understand something and don't care if their lack of understanding/interest offends others. That kind of shows the exact opposite of a "lack of interest or opinion one way or another." Am I missing something here?

I'm not privy to the details of that particular "conversation" but like I said earlier, it's a good thing they removed the Political Forum and eliminated all the bickering ;)

Laketravis

It’s abundantly clear that you are all agree that I’m wrong. Awesome. But this user said we should limit the community acronym because it’s too long, they don’t understand it, and they don’t care to understand it. I stand by my opinion that when anyone uses their lack of understanding to try and enforce any form of change, that is ignorance.

Like I said originally, I came here to contribute a very valid response to this conversation. The majority of what I’ve received in response has been bait into yet more arguments, and life is too good to waste time with that.

You guys win, I’m dropping it and you all can proceed however you want. Going forward I will make sure to keep all of my posts strictly related to what’s happening in the parks, and how much I can’t wait for the Princess and the Frog Splash Mountain Retheme. 😄✌🏻

It's really not about winning or losing. I suggested that sometimes people just don't want to be engaged in a topic they have no interest in. I'm not defending the poster you were referring to, in fact if you can show me where they actually said they "had no interest in understanding and that means you are wrong" as you said, I'll whip them with a virtual noodle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom