Planet Earth to take over The Land?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don`t get it. Plenty to look out at. Seabase Alpha had one of the best storylines and associated theming ever to come out of WED. Now you descend under the sea with Nemo, leave your clambmobile and hey! You can see daylight through the glass exit doors straight away. Illusion crushed.

Exactly

TheBeatles

I don`t get it. Plenty to look out at. Seabase Alpha had one of the best storylines and associated theming ever to come out of WED. Now you descend under the sea with Nemo, leave your clambmobile and hey! You can see daylight through the glass exit doors straight away. Illusion crushed.

Agreed.

WDW1974

Martin, you need to post more :)... I don't have nearly enough time to try and 'splain the difference between an incredible immersive COMPLETE pavillion environment that told a full story from the minute you entered until you exited ... to an aquarium with a cartoon fish overlay.

But I am just an old fart who was at the opening of The Living Seas and recalled thinking 'Disney can truly do anything now.'

Today I sometimes think 'why even talk about it when people are so willing to accept and defend a much lesser product?'

Then I realize how much it bothers some folks and I realize that's gotta be worth something!:D (OK just once)

~What Will YOU Celebrate? The Repo Man's Visit!~

SirGoofy

Martin, you need to post more :)... I don't have nearly enough time to try and 'splain the difference between an incredible immersive COMPLETE pavillion environment that told a full story from the minute you entered until you exited ... to an aquarium with a cartoon fish overlay.

But I am just an old fart who was at the opening of The Living Seas and recalled thinking 'Disney can truly do anything now.'

Today I sometimes think 'why even talk about it when people are so willing to accept and defend a much lesser product?'

Then I realize how much it bothers some folks and I realize that's gotta be worth something!:D (OK just once)

~What Will YOU Celebrate? The Repo Man's Visit!~

Man, now '74 is mad at me too.:(

:lol:

Seriously, I don't know why, but I enjoy the current Seas much more than its predecessor.:shrug:

GenerationX

I visited The Living Seas right before and right after the Nemo overlay. The story was better in the original version, but everything else is better in the Nemo version.

I'll welcome any change to the horrific Circle of Life movie in the Land Pavilion. I don't care whether the new version contains Disney characters or not; I just want a film that's not simple-minded and dull.

MickeyTheMouse

One of my favorite disney blogs is hinting that a 12 minute version of the new Disneynature film "Earth" may be heading for the Circle of Life Theater. I thought this might be the next logical choice and mentioned the possibility on WDWMagic recently.

Before you question the source keep in mind that disneygossip only posts on rare occasions but the blogs track record is outstanding!

I applaud this upgrade because it is an absolute return to the original Epcot Center mission, which is still as visionary today as it was in 1982.

Now if they would only let the Planet Earth folks produce an original Soarin' film for The Land pavilion. :king:

Back to the Future (World) :D

I think that this would be a very wise choice by Disney. That film has needed an upgrade for a while and this might just help it along.:sohappy:

CThaddeus

I visited The Living Seas right before and right after the Nemo overlay. The story was better in the original version, but everything else is better in the Nemo version.

I'll welcome any change to the horrific Circle of Life movie in the Land Pavilion. I don't care whether the new version contains Disney characters or not; I just want a film that's not simple-minded and dull.

While I completely disagree with your assessment of Circle of Life, and will personally miss it when it's gone, I won't mind it as much if the replacement is at least on the same edutainment track. My main beef with EPCOT Center in the past ten years is that almost every change seems to be away from the edutainment to almost complete fluff. It all began around the time of Test Track, then Journey Into Your Imagination, Soarin', and now the Seas with Nemo and Friends. Even the current ending of Spaceship Earth is less about how grand and amazing our world is and more about lame cartoons and how it's "all about me!"
I just hope it doesn't turn out to be like Symbiosis, which I found to be utterly bereft of any entertainment value. It was about as much fun as watching a film in science class.

Figment632

While I completely disagree with your assessment of Circle of Life, and will personally miss it when it's gone, I won't mind it as much if the replacement is at least on the same edutainment track. My main beef with EPCOT Center in the past ten years is that almost every change seems to be away from the edutainment to almost complete fluff. It all began around the time of Test Track, then Journey Into Your Imagination, Soarin', and now the Seas with Nemo and Friends. Even the current ending of Spaceship Earth is less about how grand and amazing our world is and more about lame cartoons and how it's "all about me!"
I just hope it doesn't turn out to be like Symbiosis, which I found to be utterly bereft of any entertainment value. It was about as much fun as watching a film in science class.

I hear you but I dont think and entirely educational park will work anymore. I love Epcot it has always been my favorite but a lot of people viewed it as very boring. How I am not the biggest fan of Nemo being in the seas I understand why they did it. I love Soarin and dont think it is a problem, with that said I would love to see something like Horizons brought back.

Maybe the educationa part of Epcot could be brought back but they would have to plan it very carefully in this day and age when most of us loose interest in something unless it is fast, bright and shiney, or has explosions aka a Michael Bay film lol.

Mr.EPCOT

The hydrolators were certainly a lot better in the original version! :lookaroun

Seriously, though, The Living Seas had class and its own cool style. It was lagging towards the end there, so you really had to visit before the SeaCabs closed to really get the full effect.

Seriously, though, The Living Seas had class and its own cool style. It was lagging towards the end there, so you really had to visit before the SeaCabs closed to really get the full effect.

I agree, after the cabs closed, it was dull just walking through there...

I think the biggest problem Epcot/Disney had was that when Epcot opened, and through most of the next decade, everything there seemed so cool and futuristic, because no one had seen things like that before, at least not in a way where they could relate it to their everyday life (which is what made Epcot so great, IMO). However, the "future" came faster than anyone at Disney planned, and within those same 10 years, pretty much all the "cool futuristic" stuff was a part of our everyday life...and it's only going faster now...how could Disney possibly keep ahead of that kind of timeline? The cost would be astronomical...

jt04

Original Poster

I think the biggest problem Epcot/Disney had was that when Epcot opened, and through most of the next decade, everything there seemed so cool and futuristic, because no one had seen things like that before, at least not in a way where they could relate it to their everyday life (which is what made Epcot so great, IMO). However, the "future" came faster than anyone at Disney planned, and within those same 10 years, pretty much all the "cool futuristic" stuff was a part of our everyday life...and it's only going faster now...how could Disney possibly keep ahead of that kind of timeline? The cost would be astronomical...

No, they just have to be smarter about which technologies they feature and how they present them. For example, converting the Space pavilion into a futuristic "vacation" to Mars experience isn't likely to become obsolete any time soon.

EPCOT Explorer

Indeed!:D Glass bubbles too...

And yes...1993 TLS vs 2005 was HUGE difference in storytelling and quality.

Mr.EPCOT

And it's a shame, too, I bet there have been some amazing developments in sea exploration technology over the past 20 years or so. Nothing I'd ever research on my own, but I'd absolutely go to town being able to interact with all of the latest stuff, and certainly a lot more interesting than Finding Nemo in a three-dimensional form.

Mr.EPCOT

No, they just have to be smarter about which technologies they feature and how they present them. For example, converting the Space pavilion into a futuristic "vacation" to Mars experience isn't likely to become obsolete any time soon.

Hey, that's a great idea, instead of maybe inspiring the occasional kid into becoming an astronaut, get the majority of the general public excited about space tourism! That could really help that industry along.

WDW1974

Man, now '74 is mad at me too.:(

:lol:

Seriously, I don't know why, but I enjoy the current Seas much more than its predecessor.:shrug:

Nah ... if you like it better now that's your feelings/opinion.

I enjoy the Nemo clamshells and I like the Turtle Talk technology ... it is kewl until the 117th time you hear duuuuuuuddde.

But there is no denying that the current incarnation of the Seas is a much less ambitious place.

jt04

Original Poster
Hey, that's a great idea, instead of maybe inspiring the occasional kid into becoming an astronaut, get the majority of the general public excited about space tourism! That could really help that industry along.

Exactly. And it would really raise interest in science in general if done right as the pavilion could/should feature many exhibits and attractions just like The Land does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom