PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

MonorailLover

Never understood why when they removed Woody's statue off the rocket and left Buzz at that odd Angle...They could easily have moved him to the center...It has bugged me ever since I've seen it..
toy-story-pizza-planet3-big.jpg

Interesting....I don't work to far from them.....Maybe I should take a visit and slap them....Their pizza is G to the R to the O. S.S.
I brought a friend, who's never been out-of-province(Canada) and he thought pizza planet would be just like the movie, since he was fascinated with the meticulous detail in the rides he had previously been on..... He saw the sign, stared in complete AWE, and then asked if we could get a alien vomit slushy like in the movie.... I smiled at him, said "just.... Don't even ask..." And we walked past it.... I think Pizza Planet and the fact that Indy was closed because of lightning were the ONLY let down he had, throughout the entire vacation. (By the way, he is a HUGE Indy fan, and didn't care if the show was old, since he had never seen it...)

FerretAfros

It is outside the berm.

It's also seasonal.
It was also intended as a temporary venue until they could add a permanent replacement. The structure over the dining area is essentially a tent, and the kitchen is housed in trailers. There's almost nothing about the facility that would indicate they planned on it still being used nearly 20 years after it opened. To enter the building, guests walk under the railroad tracks, and then pass under a second berm that serves to hide the restaurant's structure
DSC05396.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

Even the serving stations are on wheels, as a quick and cheap alternative to building a proper structure
DSC01510.jpg

Along with some oh-so-fancy décor and lights, you can see the underside of the roof/tent structure in this photo
DSC01938.jpg

The Hat at WDW's Studios was also "temporary", but was removed after a mere 14 years. This place has been open (seasonally, at times) for 18 years and counting, with no end in sight. At this rate, it's already outlived beloved classic (permanent) attractions like the Kitchen Kabaret, Adventure Thru Inner Space, and Horizons

I know it's fun to rag on WDW's Pizza Planet restaurant, but compared to Buzz Lightyear's Pizza Planet in DLP it looks downright acceptable! I can only hope that the DLP restaurant has good pizza (especially considering the proximity to Italy), since it really doesn't have much else going for it

Jon81uk

I know it's fun to rag on WDW's Pizza Planet restaurant, but compared to Buzz Lightyear's Pizza Planet in DLP it looks downright acceptable! I can only hope that the DLP restaurant has good pizza (especially considering the proximity to Italy), since it really doesn't have much else going for it

When we are there six years ago, we had cheeseburgers with mini pizzas in place of the buns, DLPs Pizza Planet is that classy!

The pizza at Colonal Haithi's in DLP was Mickey shaped though which was a nice surprise.

boufa

With the closure now official.. would this become one of the first physical signs of Toy Story Land Construction?!?!?

Since it is assumed that the restaurant is being re-themed in order to consolidate all toy story references to the new land, it could count.

MonorailLover

With the closure now official.. would this become one of the first physical signs of Toy Story Land Construction?!?!?

Since it is assumed that the restaurant is being re-themed in order to consolidate all toy story references to the new land, it could count.
It's not closing, it's just an 11 month refurbishment. Toy Story Land isn't going to be completed by November, 2016. You're right, it could quite possibly open rethemed, but nothing that efficient is common with Disney these days...

boufa

It's not closing, it's just an 11 month refurbishment. Toy Story Land isn't going to be completed by November, 2016. You're right, it could quite possibly open rethemed, but nothing that efficient is common with Disney these days...

It is closing for 11 months. We can debate definitions, but it is closing or "not open" if you prefer. It is also highly speculated that it will no longer be Toy Story themed. I never insinuated that it's reopening was a sign that Toy story land would be finished... I said that it's closing (for an 11 month refurb and likely re-theme) could be seen as the first physical change as part of the Toy Story Land project.

MonorailLover

It is closing for 11 months. We can debate definitions, but it is closing or "not open" if you prefer. It is also highly speculated that it will no longer be Toy Story themed. I never insinuated that it's reopening was a sign that Toy story land would be finished... I said that it's closing (for an 11 month refurb and likely re-theme) could be seen as the first physical change as part of the Toy Story Land project.
Now that I read it over again, it makes more sense. I wasn't meaning that you insinuated anything, just when I saw "closed" I thought, it's just a refurb..... And I wanted to clarify that this might not mean that it's necessarily closing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I would say no. In theory they could re-theme this restaurant but then not build TSL. I don't think for a second that would happen, but you can't logically link one to the other.

note2001

I have to admit, as bad as it was, the pizza served here did fully live up to the expectations of the Toy Story movies: Chuck E Cheese style. Unfortunately, it's the same slab of cardboard with pseudo-cheese and tomato-something that is served from the boardwalk pizza counter. While I used to eat a slice or two when starved, it always made me feel ill.

I will be highly disappointed if they take so long on a refurb project and this reopens as Pizza Planet.
The plot thickens...
The sauce thickens.

Last edited:

daguru

Would have no issues if they re-themed Mama Melrose with the Muppets, as long as they keep the same atmosphere. I was talking about this the other day with a few friends, we thought they should come up with a Mama Melrose muppet, that could be used at the restaurant. We went so far as to think of something like the Swedish Chef, but an old Italian Grandma...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom