Pixie Hollow vs Wonderland

Pixie Hollow or Wonderland?

• Pixie Hollow

Votes: 36 18.9%
  • Wonderland

Votes: 154 81.1%

• Total voters

jt04

Exactly. BURTON'S ALICE....not the overall concept or the CLASSIC version of Alice in Wonderland. I give Tink and Friends maybe 5 years before they too go the way of so many other Disney franchises.

Maybe for you but as I've said there will always be another generation that loves the movies. This is the business model Disney has been using for generations and I'd say it has worked out OK. But obviously they don't know what they are doing. :rolleyes:

WDWFigment

Just FYI, PH is one of Lasseter's pet projects. He's the exec producer of the series. If anything, he's part of the reason PH was proposed in the first place.

;)

I was under the impression that the Pixie franchise became on of his projects not because he chose to embrace it, but because there were serious issues with the first release (remember those delays?), substantial amounts had already been expended, and the general sentiment was "if anyone can salvage this, it's John." Several years later, it's pretty clear that he has "salvaged" it (and then some), but I don't know if that speaks to his actual interest in the project. I don't know him.

As for the poll itself, my vote is for neither.

People have commented in this thread that Pixies "ruins" a classic character. By that logic, you could say that Burton's Alice "ruins" several classic characters. I'm not saying that any characters have actually been ruined, as I've seen neither Burton's Alice, nor any of the Pixie films, but going by critical response, neither are all that highly regarded. I'm just making a logical inference based on other posts. In any case, from the perspective of management I think "staying power" is the bigger concern, so whether the characters are "ruined" is largely irrelevant. Given that I've seen none of the films encompassing this, I really can't offer my personal opinion of what I think will have more staying power. If I were a betting man, I'd say Alice simply because of Burton's cult-following and Depp's place as one of this generation's top leading men. Regardless of the artistic merits of this particular film, Burton and Depp will be popular for generations to come, and it follows that a movie with some of the greatest box office receipts of any movie that either have produced (or that anyone has produced, for that matter), will also have some staying power.

That said, even assuming Burton's Alice does have staying power, I don't think it's appropriate for Fantasyland. To me, this isn't like having Pixar co-exist with the animated classics; this is live action co-existing with the animated classics, and I just don't see a strong enough connection to justify it. It's not like adding Depp to the Pirates attraction; that was adding a human to an attraction with humans in it. Attractions based on real-life humans don't seem appropriate in Fantasyland. It just doesn't sit well with me.

To those who will say, "well, it could just be animated Alice," my pre-emptive response is that I certainly don't think that has the "appeal" or "brand power" to justify having an area of a land devoted to it. The best evidence I have of this (and this may seem odd) is it never being released as a Platinum DVD and no intentions thus far to release it as a Platinum/Diamond Blu-ray. That may seem trivial, but these releases are based on sales predictions. Instead, Alice has received the same type of treatment as Fox & the Hound, Aristocrats, Robin Hood, and The Sword in the Stone. To the best of my knowledge, none of the foregoing have a single attraction anywhere. Now, I'm sure Alice in Wonderland's popularity has spiked given the Depp/Burton treatment, but enough for several attractions/an area in a land? I doubt it.

lebeau

I was under the impression that the Pixie franchise became on of his projects not because he chose to embrace it, but because there were serious issues with the first release (remember those delays?), substantial amounts had already been expended, and the general sentiment was "if anyone can salvage this, it's John." Several years later, it's pretty clear that he has "salvaged" it (and then some), but I don't know if that speaks to his actual interest in the project. I don't know him.

It's true that Lasseter "salvaged" the original Tinkerbell movie. But it's not like he came in at the last minute and tweaked it. He scrapped most of it and basically started over. The accounts I've read say that up to 90% of the first movie and everything since then has come from Lasseter.

In the interviews I've seen with Lasseter, he speaks of the franchise with passion. Of course, he speaks of everything with passion. But he came out and said that most of Pixar's releases have been pretty boy-centric. And he saw Pixie Hollow as a chance to branch out and do something for girls.

I can't separate the PR stuff from Lasseter's real feelings. But he definitely gives the impression of being deeply invested in the franchise. And others name-drop him a lot. At the end of the day, his name is all over the credits and his finger prints are on the franchise. I don't think he's going to let it fail while he has anything to say about it.

People have commented in this thread that Pixies "ruins" a classic character. By that logic, you could say that Burton's Alice "ruins" several classic characters.

As you go on to point out, you can't ruin a good character. If Batman can survive Joel Schumacher, Alice and Tink will survive any "off" interpretation.

(I still have horrible flashbacks to "Batman & Robin". Bat-credit card? Don't leave the cave without it? Reallly?!?)

If I were a betting man, I'd say Alice simply because of Burton's cult-following and Depp's place as one of this generation's top leading men. Regardless of the artistic merits of this particular film, Burton and Depp will be popular for generations to come, and it follows that a movie with some of the greatest box office receipts of any movie that either have produced (or that anyone has produced, for that matter), will also have some staying power.

I don't think it matters much, but I disagree about the staying power of Burton's Alice. (And I haven't seen it either, so that's no slight against the quality of the film.) Burton and Depp have collaborated numerous times and will likely collaborate again. I think their collaboration will be remembered in films like "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood" (a personal favorite) and "Sweeney Todd" moreso than for "Alice".

Yes, the film was a blockbuster. But as I have stated numerous times, I think it would have been more or less a base hit save for timing. "Alice" benefitted greatly from being the only 3-D film in theaters immediately following "Avatar". For a brief period after "Avatar" whetted people's appetite for 3-D, you could make a quick buck on any 3-D movie.

(Hollywood has since squandered that good will and audiences have become more selective. I'm looking at you, "Clash of the Titans".)

That said, even assuming Burton's Alice does have staying power, I don't think it's appropriate for Fantasyland.

For the purposes of this discussion, this is probably the most important point. Burton's "Alice" works at DHS, but not FL. So when discussing FL, the only reason to bring up Burton's "Alice" is the degree to which it has raised awareness of the original Disney version.

I think it's fair to say the Disney version enjoyed a spike in popularity due to the release of Burton's "Alice". Disney attempted to capitalize on it with another DVD released. My understanding is that the release was pretty successful. They also released some very limited merch which I have since seen go on clearance. So I don't think Burton's "Alice" did much for Disney's "Alice"'s popularity in the long term.

The best evidence I have of this (and this may seem odd) is it never being released as a Platinum DVD and no intentions thus far to release it as a Platinum/Diamond Blu-ray.

That is a pretty good indicator of how Disney views "Alice". It's never been one of the crown jewels of the animated library. Disney himself called it a disappointment. And it really was. I think a lot of people forget that because they have fond associations with the theme park attractions and characters. But the movie was never a hit.

Looking back before DVD and Blu-ray releases, "Alice" used to be one of the only Disney features that they would run on TV. It was one of the few films that didn't get a theatrical re-release during Disney's lifetime. It wasn't until the counter culture embtaced "Alice" for it's drug references that the film developed a cult following.

The 1951 film didn't get a theatrical re-release until 1974. Back then, Disney features were re-released on a seven-year cycle. But Alice was viewed as a disappointment at best, so it was not included in this cycle. Ironicly, many of the things people are saying about PH being seen as not good enough for the theater are actually true of Alice from 1951-1974.

The 1974 re-release took full advantage of the psychedelia of the times. (Much like Fantastia.) They played "Alice" in college towns and heavily promoted the drug references even going so far as to tie in the film with the Jefferson Airplane song, "White Rabbit." This approach worked! And the film was re-released again in 1981.

WDWFigment has already covered the fact that "Alice" gets treated as a lesser film when it comes to the video market today. But that has always been true. Following the re-release in 1981, "Alice" became the first and only film Disney released for early video rentals (including Betamax). It was used as cannon fodder to test the market so as not to ruin the viablity of a classic film like "Cinderella" when it came to the theatrical re-release cycle.

That may seem trivial, but these releases are based on sales predictions. Instead, Alice has received the same type of treatment as Fox & the Hound, Aristocrats, Robin Hood, and The Sword in the Stone. To the best of my knowledge, none of the foregoing have a single attraction anywhere. Now, I'm sure Alice in Wonderland's popularity has spiked given the Depp/Burton treatment, but enough for several attractions/an area in a land? I doubt it.

"Alice" is in a weird position. I think it is seen as a grade above the films you mentioned. But I think that is largely due to it being older and having more of a presence in the parks all these years. Also, I think it's availablity on TV and video all these years has made it one of the most accessible Disney films for certain generations.

I think the reason you see people around here embracing "Alice" as strongly as they do is because of the theme park attractions. Most of them grew up with the Tea Cups and the walk-around characters. And most WDW fans are somewhat jealous of the dark ride at DL. All of this creates the illusion to the theme park fan that "Alice" sits side by side with "Cinderella", "The Little Mermaid", or "Toy Story" in the Disney cannon. But this is not reality.

Thumbelina

I vote Wonderland.
I love both Alice and the Pixies.
But come on now. there is hardly no wonderland stuff in wdw.
Wonderland needs some love. But ive seen on some other threads
that the Pixie Hollow isnt even gonna happen any ways.
So maybe we will be a little bit closer to get some more wonderland stuff!

lebeau

I vote Wonderland.
I love both Alice and the Pixies.
But come on now. there is hardly no wonderland stuff in wdw.
Wonderland needs some love. But ive seen on some other threads
that the Pixie Hollow isnt even gonna happen any ways.
So maybe we will be a little bit closer to get some more wonderland stuff!

According to Lee, Wonderland is not coming in place of Pixie Hollow.

My guess is we'll get to keep Toon Town.

tsd15

I am new to this forum, but from what I have discovered looking at the Disney parks around the globe, an Alice attraction has so much potential and would be an excellent fit for fantasyland. Not necessarily a dark ride either, but an indoor playground in the same vein of Ariel's Playground in Tokyo Disneysea with a facade similar to the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall in Tokyo Disneyland. Only in my dreams...

http://www.laughingplace.com/news-id503130.asp

tsd15

I would vote for DL's TT, since I would have something to do there other than looking at the beautiful sights.

I personally believe that DL's TT would be a MUCH better fit at Hollywood Studios. For goodness sake in Roger Rabbit, TT was suppose to be just outside of Hollywood right? And the TT sign looking like the Hollywood sign? Hmm...

Plus, with the golden era of Mickey Mouse cartoons occuring at the same time as the golden age of Hollywood, wouldn't the move make since thematically :shrug:

jt04

I am new to this forum, but from what I have discovered looking at the Disney parks around the globe, an Alice attraction has so much potential and would be an excellent fit for fantasyland. Not necessarily a dark ride either, but an indoor playground in the same vein of Ariel's Playground in Tokyo Disneysea with a facade similar to the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall in Tokyo Disneyland. Only in my dreams...

http://www.laughingplace.com/news-id503130.asp

Great great find. I had never heard of this much less seen pics. You can really see how the Beast's castle forced perspective might work! And our resident Imagineer is the designer! Incredible. Thanks for the link!!!

I personally believe that DL's TT would be a MUCH better fit at Hollywood Studios. For goodness sake in Roger Rabbit, TT was suppose to be just outside of Hollywood right? And the TT sign looking like the Hollywood sign? Hmm...

Plus, with the golden era of Mickey Mouse cartoons occuring at the same time as the golden age of Hollywood, wouldn't the move make since thematically :shrug:

ABSOLUTELY!

Stick around, there are many here who need to hear your perspective. You definitely "get" the idea of Disney parks at their best. :)

tsd15

ABSOLUTELY!

Stick around, there are many here who need to hear your perspective. You definitely "get" the idea of Disney parks at their best. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliment! Honestly I am happy just to be around a group of people passionate about the WDW resort being the best it can be. :D

ttalovebug

That said, even assuming Burton's Alice does have staying power, I don't think it's appropriate for Fantasyland. To me, this isn't like having Pixar co-exist with the animated classics; this is live action co-existing with the animated classics, and I just don't see a strong enough connection to justify it. It's not like adding Depp to the Pirates attraction; that was adding a human to an attraction with humans in it. Attractions based on real-life humans don't seem appropriate in Fantasyland. It just doesn't sit well with me.

To those who will say, "well, it could just be animated Alice," my pre-emptive response is that I certainly don't think that has the "appeal" or "brand power" to justify having an area of a land devoted to it. The best evidence I have of this (and this may seem odd) is it never being released as a Platinum DVD and no intentions thus far to release it as a Platinum/Diamond Blu-ray. That may seem trivial, but these releases are based on sales predictions. Instead, Alice has received the same type of treatment as Fox & the Hound, Aristocrats, Robin Hood, and The Sword in the Stone. To the best of my knowledge, none of the foregoing have a single attraction anywhere. Now, I'm sure Alice in Wonderland's popularity has spiked given the Depp/Burton treatment, but enough for several attractions/an area in a land? I doubt it.

I fully understand your point here, but I think the reason for fans being in favor of an Alice-themed land is because of the great design possibilites for such a land. Though Alice is not the most popular of Walt's animated movies (because of its strange story and lack of "heart", as Walt put it), it is a real work of art visually. The color scheme is beautiful, and it's one of the best example of Disney animation's mastery of character design. None of the other movies mentioned above come close to Alice in terms of "eye-candy", though some of them could be called better films.

I would love to see Wonderland for this reason. I hate to bring up the Splash Mountain analogy again, but here it is: less than half the people who go on SM have even heard of Song of the South. So why did they base a ride on it? Because the characters, visuals and songs from the movie were very transferrable to a three dimensional ride. And if the ride is good enough, it won't matter that it's not the most popular movie out there. People don't even need to have seen it.

This link was already posted above, but I'm putting it again anyway. This is an example of how fabulous an Alice themed environment can look. Tokyo Disneyland: http://www.laughingplace.com/news-id503130.asp

They have another unique Alice attraction in Paris: http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID503040-503042.asp

Matt and Kelly

Voted for Wonderland. A no-brainer for me as I am a huge fan of the Alice in Wonderland franchise. I think it would have more "staying" power than pixie hollow, but even with that said, I am looking forward to seeing the new expansion finished.

I have no doubt that once everything is said and done, it will turn out great.

CaptainWinter

I'm not at all in favor of PH when (as many others have said here) so many classics -- like AiW, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty -- are unrepresented or underrepresented at WDW. The barrier of entry into FL should be high. Characters should stand the test of time before they get in. Same reason we don't put a good ballplayer in the Hall of Fame after he has one good season.

Wonderland would be a billion times better than PH. AiW's flaws, as Disney himself saw them -- the randomness, that the movie contains "just a bunch of weird characters" were his words IIRC -- would not be an issue in the park. In fact its disjointedness is probably an asset, since attractions generally have a disjointed nature anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom