Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

tribbleorlfl

Remember Miguel does a show with Mariachi Cobre..That's what it's for..
1_CocoEpcot.jpg
Wouldn't 3 Caballeros be a better fit for said poster?

aladdin2007

after riding it yesterday it could use some work,..the final room needs a redo, the firework effects are pretty bad since the mirrors are gone...the ending float through looks horribly dated and with those black walls...,,but worst of all what is with all the bright lights now throughout the show scenes? even the load off float through the jungle is not what it use to be and with flood lights, and of course no fog/mist effects anymore.

Kman101

I'm not sure why so many seem opposed to a Coco overlay (not necessarily saying on here, just in general). This one actually MAKES SENSE and fits PERFECTLY in IPCOT. I love the Three Cabs but the current ride is nothing to write home about and is just a nice place to relax out of the sun for a few minutes. You could literally put The Three Cabs anywhere.

The mere mention of Coco got loud applause today. They should pay attention.

This kind of overlay makes sense to delay until later when you think about it. It could easily be something they announce in 2021 if it's anywhere still on the table. I doubt it was shelved.

It did seem they were leading themselves to a Coco overlay announcement. Miguel promiment on the Mexico poster, the guitar next to the Mexico pavilion ... or was it all just to better "identify" Mexico? It was strange. I really thought they'd say something here even though we've heard otherwise.

Sir_Cliff

It did seem they were leading themselves to a Coco overlay announcement. Miguel promiment on the Mexico poster, the guitar next to the Mexico pavilion ... or was it all just to better "identify" Mexico? It was strange. I really thought they'd say something here even though we've heard otherwise.
Yes, there was a lot of misdirection before the presentation that just heightened the disappointment. Coco on the Mexico poster after the enthusiastic reception rumours of a Coco ride have received online, then two blank posters amongst all the EPCOT pavilions when rumours have been flying around about new World Showcase pavilions. They really misjudged that.

Who knows, maybe this was the final part of Iger, Zenia, and TP2000's wicked scheme to bring down Bob Chapek. 😈

Kman101

Yes, there was a lot of misdirection before the presentation that just heightened the disappointment. Coco on the Mexico poster after the enthusiastic reception rumours of a Coco ride have received online, then two blank posters amongst all the EPCOT pavilions when rumours have been flying around about new World Showcase pavilions. They really misjudged that.

Who knows, maybe this was the final part of Iger, Zenia, and TP2000's wicked scheme to bring down Bob Chapek. 😈

lol. The tin foil hat wearer deep down inside of me does feel the entire thing looked like a 'set up Chapek for failure'. It was just SO bad. LOL @TP2000 ?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know if it's really misdirection. More and more so the entire front half of the Mexico temple is being taken over by Coco. The whole lobby is Coco. Coco el día de los muertos decorations in the shop, Coco merch in the shops, puppet-Miguel appearing with Mariache Cobre... the temple is all Coco except for the ride and restaurant.

HoraceHorizons

They may have chosen not to mention any new additions to the World Showcase during the presentation altogether because of the situation with the fires in Brazil. Just a thought.

The new films we already knew about.

Kman101

I don't know if it's really misdirection. More and more so the entire front half of the Mexico temple is being taken over by Coco. The whole lobby is Coco. Coco el día de los muertos decorations in the shop, Coco merch in the shops, puppet-Miguel appearing with Mariache Cobre... the temple is all Coco except for the ride and restaurant.

I mean, that's true. But the model specifically highlighted more or less what's coming, no? I can see why there was some hope/anticipation of more, I sure thought there might be even though, from here, I figured we wouldn't. Coco's already technically there, though, so if I look at it through that lens, it makes sense, but I'm going to guess more thought like I did and less like that, some of it could just have been getting hopes up even though we shouldn't have so we project .... And the Three Cabs having a poster means nothing because all the other dead attractions and pavilions do too.

Kman101

Yes but

Yeah it may even have been a quick replacement. They barely announced anything past saying a street is being rethemed. The address may as well be a meet and greet

Yep. After dragging DvD on stage and doing Step in Time ... no one would want a carousel announcement after that. I continue to stress they would have hyped a real ride if that were the case. And if it is, and they didn't ... shame on them for wasting the opportunity. But my guess is it remains a carousel on steroids. And a meet and greet, of course. Probably restrooms.

Kman101

Trust me, I want VERY BADLY want a Poppins Dark Ride. I've wanted it for a very long time, and in the UK. Trust me, trust me, trust me, I'd love to be wrong that it's not just a carousel. Their lack of information leads me to believe it is.

I can't get my hopes up anymore, lol.

Anyway ... back to Coco.

This NEEDS to happen.

I assume many reasonings went into delaying this or not doing it 'right now'. They went with a more ambitious Mary ride so the funds weren't being split. They realized they can't take down Spaceship Earth, have walls up everywhere, and also take down Mexico because you know they'd have to make more queue space (though I imagine they'd have found a way to either keep the restaurant running or they'd overhaul that too). That goes without question. If it were me making the call, I'd wait too in order to have more funds to do it right (and yes we all know they can afford to do it now if they really wanted to spend the dough, but we also know the company wastes a lot of money).

That's also probably a bigger investment than they want to make now with so many other things in EPCOT needing to be worked on (we know Guardians ain't cheap ...).

At least let's hope. But it's also something that could probably, and easily, be put off so the funds can go elsewhere, like how Figment's funds always seem to go elsewhere ... in terms of the overlay, Cabs is only, what 11/12 years old?

They could then hype "more is coming" and it ties in nicely with the 50th of WDW/MK, but I wonder if that's giving them too much credit.

A lot of it is about marketing ...

Kman101

I think it comes down to they aren't going to put Coco in till Ratatouille has been around for a while.

It would cause too much congession in Mexico/Norway to have the only two rides/best rides in the World Showcase in that one area.

Like I said ... there seems to be a lot of reasons they hedged off doing this one now. I just hope they circle back around to it. It seems inevitable and feels like the right choice for an IP overlay. Coco is popular (as evidence by crowd reaction alone) and they should leverage it.

I don't think it really comes down to just one reason in this case. I'd love to get more insight, but I believe the insiders have already kind of talked about the various reasons it's not on the table right now. Hope @marni1971 or @Magic Feather or @MansionButler84 can provide insight but I feel like this overlay wasn't going to happen anytime soon from where I last remember but I could be wrong. I just felt like they may have surprised us with it, for whatever reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom