Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Was the model of the Mexico Pavilion containing the guitar indicative of anything Coco related? It wasn't "the" guitar from the movie was it? Just curious. Can't find the image at the moment.

Kman101

I don't think this will ever happen....this thread was started in 2016.....it's almost 2020.....if they wanted it done by now they could have. a layover of Coco is not that costly

Eh. They often circle back around to things. An 'easy overlay' is also 'easy to push off' ... and my guess is it wouldn't 'be easy' and end up 'being costly' so they delayed the idea for now. There's still plenty of time. People think movies fade but fans still seem to want and desire Coco. It feels meant to happen as in the IP should very much be in that ride. If anything demanded an overlay, this is an IP that actually fits! So of course they don't jump on it ... but like I said, I have no doubt MANY reasons went into not doing this now.

There are TONS of things that should be a priority over an overlay (and I imagine it's hard to justify 'fixing' a ride that was just overlayed a decade ago plus a few years)

Though I get what you're saying and I do agree they had a good time frame to 'leverage' the IP and they haven't, so it grows less likely over time. A float and a puppet don't really cut it.

They also seem to have no interest in giving Moana anything substantial, at least so far, and that's disappointing too.

Cmdr_Crimson

Was the model of the Mexico Pavilion containing the guitar indicative of anything Coco related? It wasn't "the" guitar from the movie was it? Just curious. Can't find the image at the moment.
It was due to the poster for Mexico..People freaked and said were getting it just because he was on the poster...
epcot-future-past-d23-exhibit-disney-world-640.jpg

UNCgolf

I said it before in this thread, but they'd have to overhaul the whole pavilion to put in a Coco ride.

If the assumption is that even something as small as an overlay to the current ride would make it more popular, then it can't go in without serious changes, because there's no room. That ride has a tiny queue; they can't have hundreds of people waiting to get on. If the overlay wouldn't make the ride more popular, then there's no reason to spend the money to do it.

There's just no way to make it work logistically without some serious changes to the pavilion layout.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It was due to the poster for Mexico..People freaked and said were getting it just because he was on the poster...

Yeah, I always assumed that was just for the Miguel puppet. I was more questioning the guitar that is leaning against the Mexican Pavilion Temple model. And if anyone was drawing a comparison between the two guitars, if they are one and the same?

Cmdr_Crimson

Yeah, I always assumed that was just for the Miguel puppet. I was more questioning the guitar that is leaning against the Mexican Pavilion Temple model. And if anyone was drawing a comparison between the two guitars, if they are one and the same?

From Blog Mickey's site...It just looks like a standard guitar no Skull Head on the top to represent it as Hector/Ernesto's
epcot-model-d23-expo-2019-1-1024x507.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ahhh...almost forgot about this “greenlit” great pumpkin project
Eh, the real Germany wouldn't mind if you always associate it with Christmas.
Word...Germans love Christmas. frolich Weinnacht
Now, just 49 more things...
Or like 2 or 3 😉
They may have chosen not to mention any new additions to the World Showcase during the presentation altogether because of the situation with the fires in Brazil. Just a thought.

The new films we already knew about.
Yes but

Yeah it may even have been a quick replacement. They barely announced anything past saying a street is being rethemed. The address may as well be a meet and greet
Boy...I’ve got some magic beans to sell you.

If you think Disney would hurriedly pull w $250,000,000+ project because of a wildfire...you aren’t much of a student of how Disney operates, are you?
I don't think this will ever happen....this thread was started in 2016.....it's almost 2020.....if they wanted it done by now they could have. a layover of Coco is not that costly
nope...wasn’t going to...there are things other than rumors that govern what does and doesn’t get built in a Disney park. The truth about this was there all along.
I mean, that's true. But the model specifically highlighted more or less what's coming, no? I can see why there was some hope/anticipation of more, I sure thought there might be even though, from here, I figured we wouldn't. Coco's already technically there, though, so if I look at it through that lens, it makes sense, but I'm going to guess more thought like I did and less like that, some of it could just have been getting hopes up even though we shouldn't have so we project .... And the Three Cabs having a poster means nothing because all the other dead attractions and pavilions do too.
the model also specifically showed no new pavilions on the back side...but conspiracy theories bout last minute “cancellation” popped up at 3:05 EST. The map disproves those.
I think it comes down to they aren't going to put Coco in till Ratatouille has been around for a while.

It would cause too much congession in Mexico/Norway to have the only two rides/best rides in the World Showcase in that one area.
Good point...but I don’t think coco is a Serious consideration anyway for a few reasons.

durangojim

Is it possible that the Mary Poppins ride will be a modified carousel that instead of being circular takes guests around the race course that Mary went on in the movie?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think it comes down to they aren't going to put Coco in till Ratatouille has been around for a while.

It would cause too much congession in Mexico/Norway to have the only two rides/best rides in the World Showcase in that one area.
It was mainly politics and certain knock on effects of doing things that were deemed necessary. Coco was to go hand in hand with Rat.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

Are you also upset that the Ratatouille ride focusses on a restaurant and doesn't also visit other small businesses in Paris like stationary stores, supermarkets, and fashion boutiques?

I think the misconception here is that Día de los Muertos is just a Mexican Halloween rather than something deeply woven into the culture. Even taking Mexican art as an example, the satirical calaveras (skulls and skeletons) produced by José Guadalupe Posada during the early-twentieth century to comment on politics and society were taken up following the Mexican Revolution and reinterpreted by artists such as Diego Rivera into icons such as the Calavera Catrina & the little everyday scenes featuring skeletons are popular artisanal souvenirs. All of this iconography is not just wheeled out once a year in Mexico, but is seen as representative of a distinctively Mexican culture and attitude to life and death. The overriding theme of Coco and any potential ride also speaks to cultural syncretism and a deep connection to ancestors which, again, has far more resonance in Mexican culture than Haunted Mansion Holiday does to anything.

Honestly, I think it's reductionist to see Día de los Muertos as akin to Halloween.

i am so glad that someone posted this, sadly most people do not know the history behind the colorful skulls and dolls.

TrainsOfDisney

Which is why the decision to move forward is curious...

I think the best reason I saw is the tie to the classic movie...the aborted reboot franchise mostly ignored

(Ps...it was a REALLY bad week for the defenders of the shield all in all...best go let the sleeping dog lie in my bed 😎)

The new Poppins movie did ok though. At least I would say 350m at the box office is ok! Ha.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The new Poppins movie did ok though. At least I would say 350m at the box office is ok! Ha.
But compared to other movies released today...who get to $500 mil overseas without breaking a sweat?

Not good.

We could pull a ton of examples...but it’s gonna say what I’m telling you here.

Solo made $400 and was a write down because of higher production and marketing costs...which means Mary poppins wasn’t too far away.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom